11 [31.43%]
20 [57.14%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.43%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four great Canterbury debut albums
    Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:12
Really love all of these, but Caravan is greatest for me! Interesting to see will Gong get any votes (I think it´s their greatest).
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:41
Caravan for me.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2020 at 23:56
Caravan for me
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:11
The Caravan debut for me, mainly because that's the only album I've really listened to in the poll.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 00:47
C A R A V A N .

Wink Cool 

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 02:19
Nice poll and all four albums are brilliant.  I went for Soft Machine's debut - hard to believe it was recorded in New York City but they were on the road with Hendrix and pretty much on fire.  Seamless too.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 02:41
Caravan's debut is certainly one of my fave from the band (just behind G & P)

So many great tracks, but none more so than the astounding Cecil Rons.
What a piece of psychedelia!!Star
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 03:33
I never really went for Majik Brother - never could work why that is....
The other 3 have me totally lost. Maybe Soft Machine, as that was THE stoner classic (along with Floyd’s Piper) for me way back when......
I’ve always preferred If I could do it.... and Grey and Pink over Caravan’s debut, and Kevin Ayers has always been someone special to me.
Alas, Soft Machine reigns.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 04:51
I'd go with Hatfield and NH ahead of all of these. Soft Machine of these.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yes, but missing the point slightly.  I think the OP intention was the debut albums of the 'core' Canterbury musicians, or at least the four original members of Soft Machine.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 05:46
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Yes, but missing the point slightly.  I think the OP intention was the debut albums of the 'core' Canterbury musicians, or at least the four original members of Soft Machine.  
Yes, I am also much more fan of this Canterbury "style" than Hatfield and the North, National Health etc. Also these all are recorded & released between 1968-70.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:06
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Yes, I am also much more fan of this Canterbury "style" than Hatfield and the North, National Health etc. Also these all are recorded & released between 1968-70.

Each to their own, I certainly consider Miller, Stewart, Sinclair & Pyle core Canterbury musicians. I do like all the albums selected.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:15
Caravan gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:36
It's very close between Caravan and The soft Machine, but at the end, I voted for Caravan.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 06:59
Could've included Egg and Space Shanty as well!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:22
Of those Caravan...but Soft and Joy are close...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:25
If it's a positive Canterbury poll, the answer for me is always Caravan.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:29
Hi,

I'm not wanting to vote, since I love all of them, and the scene that brought them up!

However, if we check the 13 or 14 people that voted (posted, but how did it get to 18 votes so far?), I'm willing to bet that they all have heard at least 20+ hours of Caravan, maybe 1 hour of SM, half hour of Kevin Ayers and if we're lucky, about 15 minutes of the original Gong.

I would say, then, that the poll is not really that fair at all, and makes the other three look rather ... poor ... in comparison to Caravan! I do happen to have 16 Caravan albums, but I also have 7 SM, 9 Kevin Ayers (stuck with him from the start!!!!) and everything GONG you can imagine including solos. So for me, even though Caravan gets a clap or two, they are not the defining group for Canterbury ... THE SCENE and its ARTISTS (including musicians) ARE!

But we, at PA ... don't believe in the scene! It was just a bunch of idiots getting stoned ... so that makes the music .... right ... NEXT!

Edited by moshkito - July 14 2020 at 07:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:29
Somehow, for me, Gong really started with Camembert Electrique.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Somehow, for me, Gong really started with Camembert Electrique.

Hi,

Or probably better stated, when Daevid Allen was not allowed back into England ... and was stuck in Paris ... not for long, since the rest is all history!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>