0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll #6060: We love the Sixities
    Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:03
We love the Sixties!

Rules for this poll:

1) Choose songs published in the sixties (with lyrics or instrumental, from 1960 to 1969) by groups NOT present here in PA. The songs must last between one minute and seven minutes (6'59 ''). (EDIT)

2) It doesn't matter if they are original songs or covers (covers of songs written by groups present in Progarchives are allowed, provided they were published in the sixties by a group not present in Progarchives). (EDIT)

3) Songs of the groups present in the Prog Related category (except for the songs by: David Bowie and Led Zeppelin) and Proto-prog category (except for the songs by: The Beatles, Deep Purple, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, The Who) are allowed.

4) Please write no more than FOUR nominations. If in doubt, choose the less famous songs.

Let the games begin!

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 19 2020 at 15:35
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:06
MY NOMINATIONS:

1) GINO PAOLI: Sassi (1960)

2) SPIRIT: Silky Sam (1968)

3) NEIL YOUNG: Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets), 1969

4) BONZO DOO DAH BAND

My Pink Half of the Drainpipe (1968)

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 14 2020 at 11:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:43

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 11:57

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 14 2020 at 12:04
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:12
So on principle you could enter with something by Procol Harum or The Moody Blues?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:14
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

So on principle you could enter with something by Procol Harum or The Moody Blues?

maybe not the obvious examples of what people call proto-prog. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Moody Blues and Procol Harum they are classified as prog crossover here in PA, so they are not allowed.

Cristi, even The Doors are not allowed, I excluded them along with the other famous Proto-prog bands.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:19
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Moody Blues and Procol Harum they are classified as prog crossover here in PA, so they are not allowed.

Cristi, even The Doors are not allowed, I excluded them along with the other famous Proto-prog bands.

yeah, I won't use the Doors, just wanted people to listen to this beautiful obscurity that was, story goes, rejected for The Soft Parade album. If you ask me it's better than most songs on that album. LOL

Edited by Cristi - September 14 2020 at 12:20
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:52
My two submissions are an Australian classic from 1969, and its sequel, also from 1969:

Russell Morris - The Real Thing

Russell Morris - Part 3 Into Paper Walls

The 45RPM vinyl single of "The Real Thing" was given to me by a friend of the family shortly after its release. Looking at the grooves of the record, it is evident that the song actually has two parts, even though there is no break in the music. Thus, "Paper Walls" really is the third part of "The Real Thing", though it is a separate song.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 13:54
I will concentrate on Danish music and post one track at the time. For some of them, they are almost sure to be blocked in Denmark on YouTube, so if anyone else can provide a YT link, I would be grateful. Here is my first nomination:

Steppeulvene - "Til Nashet" (To Nashet, 1967 lyric translation: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/til-nashet-nashet.html)

Steppeulvene (The steppenwolves) took their name from the novel by Hermann Hesse. They were formed in early 1967, so they actually predate Steppenwolf from the United States. The band consisted of:
Eik Skaløe (vocals, lyrics)
Stig Møller (guitar, music)
Søren Seirup (bass)
Preben Devantier (drums)

Steppeulvene was the first band to write own songs in Danish, and they are generally seen as the beginning of a Danish rock scene in its own right (before that, most bands just copied British and American music), even if Eik Skaløe's lyrics are more than a little Dylan influenced. Their first, and only, album, Hip (1967) is considered one of the best and most important Danish rock albums, and they inspired a lot of artists that came afterwards.

The style was psychedelic rock. They were not the best musicians in the world, but the feeling they created was unique. As you can probably guess from listening to the music and the lyrics, all kinds of drugs were involved, and sadly Eik Skaløe took the psychedelic ideas of the time a bit too literally. Later in the same year, he went to India, and in 1968 his dead body was found along with a suicide note near the border to Pakistan. He quickly became a cult figure, and he still has a mythologic status in Denmark. There's even an Eik Skaløe Square somewhere in Copenhagen.

Trivia: Today the Danish music critics have an annual award called "Årets steppeulv" (The steppenwolf of the year).

Note on the clip: This was the only one that worked in Denmark, and sadly it lacks stereo pan (the album was only released in stereo to my knowledge), but I believe you can find other clips with stereo sound.

Edited by The Anders - September 14 2020 at 14:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:50
neat choice Lorenzo Beer

my theme within a theme...  there was music before '67

my favorites by year

1961 - kicking it off with a stone cold classic...

1962 - always loved this.. and man how I miss... I guess getting old sucks.. back in the day you actually had radio stations playing the classics.. not rinse repeats of the same 70's rock groups.. or.. as if that wasn't bad enough... the same songs from them..

1963- *Micky genuflects* A true legend taken far too early.. and oh so senselessly...

1964 - oh yeah.. one of my favorite singing in the shower songs..  

1965 - well said.. if not for the Beatles.. it would have been this group...

1966 - Flip a coin..  the soon to come SF scene.. or what was already going on in the Motor City.. which is my favorite..  but this one holds its own as my favorite (ie best haha) thing to come out of 60's Motown..

Papa Zita and Jamerson.. best rhythm section music has ever seen..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:57
Well, the sixties... this is really not a strong side of my collection/taste. Pretty much all stuff I know and love is either listed on PA or very well known.
Maybe not this one... Wink

Still good topic; I'm here to learn...

Edited by Lewian - September 14 2020 at 14:58
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:57
Although I was born in the revolutionary month of May of this decade, this is not really my preferred decade regarding music. Most that I know and/or have in my collection is on PA.
But, since Lorenzo strangely forgot to exclude It's a Beautiful Day from the famous proto-prog bands I am quickly putting up It's a Beautiful Day - Bulgaria (1969):

However, for this decade I am more into other territories than pop, rock or prog, so I'm going to bother you with a couple of "different" things, and my nomination will come from one of these.

First, one of the pioneers of musique concrète and electronic music, Pierre Henry with his Messe pour le temps présent. You all know Psyché Rock (yes really, you do... listen to it and you will say "oh yes, I've heard this before"), but from the same album I propose: Pierre Henry, Michel Colombier - Too Fortiche (1968):

More unknown, but not less important regarding influencing the electronic music experimentations of the 70s and beyond: Tom Dissevelt. The Philips company, via the Philips Research Laboratories, allowed a lot of experimentation in the domain of electronic and tape music. Tom Dissevelt and Dick Raaijmakers were the two main pioneers in this domain at that time: the 50s and 60s. I had the pleasure to work with the latter in the mid-90s on a video-musical-installation-performance project, but I will present here a work of his colleague who was more jazz-influenced: Tom Dissevelt - Intersection (aka Twilight Ozone - 1961):

So, now the bridge to jazz has been made, I can only add a track of another great of the great pioneers and great musician. I would have loved to put up Love Supreme here, but the first part is longer than 7 mins. So it will be from the album Stellar Regions: John Coltrane - Sun Star (1967):

Hope you enjoy the excursions !

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:01
@Lewian: Are you my other Me? Delia Derbyshire is a wonderful suggestion! Clap

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:23
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@Lewian: Are you my other Me? Delia Derbyshire is a wonderful suggestion! Clap

Haha, I was thinking "great minds think alike" (which has the less flattering German equivalent "zwei Idioten, ein Gedanke" Tongue) when I saw your suggestions, and thought I look a bit around before maybe commenting on this, and then you did it. Big smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:30
^ I prefer the German equivalent: it's less pretentious... Smile

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:36
I feel like joining in once more after a period of abs(tin)ence:

My nominations are:

Velvet Underground (the inventors of Art Rock) - All Tomorrow's Parties (1967):

Buffalo Springfield - Broken Arrow (1967)

Sweeney's Men - Dreams for Me (1969)

Fugs - CIA Man (1967, recorded 1965)

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:57
OK, I had "Broken Arrow" lined up, but had to resort to Plan BLOL.... Anyway, here's my picks for this round - two American/English songs, two Italian ones. Though I am more of a Seventies person, I have managed to find a few likely songs from the previous decade.

Let's start with the Italians, and a song penned by Guccini (which should make Christian happyWink), masterfully interpreted by a band that is still active after 57 years since its inception - I Nomadi:

Second pick (and likely to be my final nomination) is an absolutely iconic song by Mogol-Battisti, performed by one of Italy's foremost beat groups, Equipe 84:

And now to England, with this beautiful song (which I'm sure most of you already know) by Fairport Convention, who are in Prog Related:

And last but not least, one of my all-time favourite songs, in the original version by Crosby, Stills and Nash:

Later I'll post links to the English translations of the Italian songs for those who like to understand what people are singing aboutWink.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I feel like joining in once more after a period of abs(tin)ence:

My nominations are:

Velvet Underground (the inventors of Art Rock) - All Tomorrow's Parties (1967):
--------------

Buffalo Springfield - Broken Arrow (1967)
--------------

Sweeney's Men - Dreams for Me (1969)
------------------------

Fugs - CIA Man (1967, recorded 1965)
------------------------

Four very different but equally interesting songs.

I didn't know Dreams for Me: very good, especially the instrumental part in the ending.
The broken arrow is nice, but ok, All Tomorrow's Party is cutting edge, it's miles ahead of every other music of the era.

And the Fugs? Very interesting band, I know Cia Man, it's a really grungy and funny track. Speaking of the Fugs, and how Piero Scaruffi introduces them:

The Fugs are probably the greatest among the great rock bands that have been forgotten by succeeding generations. A case in point is Virgin Forest, the first collage piece in the history of popular music, one of music's most creative expressions, and almost totally unknown. The Fugs were also the first politicized group in the history of rock, also perhaps the greatest, the standard bearers of punk-rock. The sarcasm of their songs and the nonconformist mode in which they played them inspired Frank Zappa. Their free style compositions, although sometimes chaotic, anticipated progressive rock. Their specialty was the satire that reintroduced the political vaudeville of Brecht/Weill in the era of peace marches, sit-ins, and Bob Dylan. Few musicians were as original as the Fugs, at a time when the charts were dominated by the Beatles and the Monkees.

Anarchist, beatnik and bohemian, the Fugs represented "the other" America, the America that didn't watch the Ed Sullivan Show, didn't bother with the charts and didn't go crazy at the sight of the dandy pop star. The America that got drunk and took drugs, lived at the edge of the "American Dream", read libertarian libelous pamphlets and planned escapes from reality, the same folks that one day would be known as "punk."

The Fugs put to music the demystification of capitalism and the removal of social taboos. They attacked the 45, the charts, the image of the bourgeois singer, manufactured stars like Presley and the Beatles, entertainment marketing and the entire anomalous machine of musical consumerism. They hurled themselves against secular taboos to create an alternative music regulated by alternative codes. In short, they laid the foundations for the genesis of rock and alternative rock for the remainder of the century.

The Fugs were first to suggest the equivalence between agit-prop and rock. Rock music, which up until then had kept its distance from politics, took a decisive turn to the left.

The forest of sounds in Virgin Forest, a collage of breathtaking, primitive, wildly cacophonous music is the artistic testament of the Fugs. Its anarchical structure is one of the fundamental artistic conquests of the 60s.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 18:03
The wonderful H P Lovecraft's S/T Debut "The White Ship" 1967  

The Pretty Things from S F Sorrow "Balloon Burning" 1968  

and the US Ars Nova from their S/T Debut "Fields of People," 1968, The Move covered this one on "Shazam"  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>