Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Frank Zappa/Mothers etc... Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 Frank Zappa/Mothers etc... Albums
    Posted: December 07 2022 at 06:11
Stealing Psychedelic Paul's concept once again. This one should be interesting. So many classics, so many ways to enjoy/annoy: To many albums to list. I'm certain you know which ones you got and which ones you love (the most).

1st album - 12 points
2nd album - 8 points
3rd album - 6 points
4th album - 4 points
5th album - 3 points
6th album - 2 points
7th album - 1 point

This wasn't easy, but in the end I got:

1. Waka / Jawaka (12 points)
2. Hot Rats (8 points)
3. The Grand Wazoo (6 points)
4. We're Only in It for the Money (4 points)
5. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (3 points)
6. Absolutely Free ( (2 points)
7. Uncle Meat (1 point)

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 10 2022 at 09:53
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 09:55
Hi,

I can't say I have a favorite, except that I have over 25 cd's of his music, which ought to tell you how much I think of all the stuff. 

Of all the things, even though things like "Overnight Sensation" and "Apostrophe", or "Hot Rats" and even "The Grand Wazoo" are super nice, to me, the most impressive and valuable of all of these is "200 MOTELS" because its satiric edge and totality of work is insane and not something that anyone else has even considered doing since then. Here we are, 50 plus years, and that thing is still crazy, without all the beers and dope and BS about it being a hit.

Sadly, not a whole lot of his classically minded stuff done in Europe is well known, since we are all rock fans, and we hate anything else.

Lastly, the UCLA performance of 200 MOTELS just prior to Gayle's passing, is phenomenal, and so few folks ever bothered listening to it. The choir piece at the end alone is worth the price of admission, and for once you see a choir stretch its talents and vocals ... something you will never see, even in Salt Lake City!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:11
I'm not real big on the earlier stuff. 
Here's my top seven

1. Over-Nite Sensation
2. One Size Fits All
3. Apostrophe'
4. Joes Garage
5. The Grand Wazoo
6. Hot Rats
7. Sheik Yerbouti 

Edited by Argo2112 - December 07 2022 at 10:12
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I can't say I have a favorite, except that I have over 25 cd's of his music, which ought to tell you how much I think of all the stuff.
I've got about the same amount in my collestion. Love them all of course. Otherwise I wouldn't own them. While I'm the type of person that actually may prefer some music over other music (and a work of art over some other work of art), this whole favorite-Zappa isn't personally an important issue to me. I mainly start something like this hoping it may end up somewhere interesting. Maybe the replies  will have me thinking something like "perhaps I should relisten to Overnite Sensation tomorrow... everyone seem to love it so much, and it's sure been a while since I last spun it..."

-Waka / Jawaka is just plain wonderful though, a desert island disc and I listen to it ALL THE TIME.

Sadly, not a whole lot of his classically minded stuff done in Europe is well known, since we are all rock fans, and we hate anything else.
Haha speak for yourself. I listen to jazz and ca. 600 years of "classically minded" music more than I do rock. I "enjoy" Civilization Phaze III (Zappa Vol II not so much), but there's hundreds of composers I'd reach for over Zappa in a classically minded mood. Don't blame me for Zappa operating within some sort of jazz-rock-framework-thing during his vibrant and most creative years.

Lastly, the UCLA performance of 200 MOTELS just prior to Gayle's passing, is phenomenal, and so few folks ever bothered listening to it. The choir piece at the end alone is worth the price of admission, and for once you see a choir stretch its talents and vocals ... something you will never see, even in Salt Lake City!
You mean the one conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen?  I'll admit I've never heard it, and will try to do sometihng about thT.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:45
1. Over-Nite Sensation (12 points)
3. Hot Rats (10 points)
4. The Grand Wazoo (9 points)
5. One Size Fits All (8 points)
6. Apostrophe' (6 points)
7. We're Only in It for the Money (4 points)
7. Joes Garage (4 points)

9. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (3 points)
10. Absolutely Free ( (2 points)
11. Uncle Meat (1 point)
11. Sheik Yerbouti  (1 point)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:50
These aren't all Zappa/Mothers releases, and some are live. Hope they meet criteria.

One Size Fits All
The Grand Wazoo
Over-Nite Sensation
Roxy & Elsewhere
Joe's Garage Act 1
Apostrophe
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:54
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

1. Over-Nite Sensation (12 points)
3. Hot Rats (10 points)
4. The Grand Wazoo (9 points)
5. One Size Fits All (8 points)
6. Apostrophe' (6 points)
7. We're Only in It for the Money (4 points)
7. Joes Garage (4 points)

9. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (3 points)
10. Absolutely Free ( (2 points)
11. Uncle Meat (1 point)
11. Sheik Yerbouti  (1 point)

Ummmm,,, two #1,  two #7 & two # 11 ??  I guess that's one way to sneak a few extras in.LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 10:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

These aren't all Zappa/Mothers releases, and some are live. Hope they meet criteria.

Yes, all inclusive.

1. One Size Fits All (20 points)
2. Over-Nite Sensation (18 points)
3. The Grand Wazoo (17 points)
4. Waka / Jawaka (12 points)
5. Hot Rats (10 points)
6. Apostrophe' (8 points)
7. Joe's Garage (Act 1) (7 points)

8. We're Only in It for the Money (4 points)
8. Roxy & Elsewhere (4 points)
10. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (3 points)
11. Absolutely Free ( (2 points)
12. Uncle Meat (1 point)
12. Sheik Yerbouti  (1 point)
12. The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life  (1 point)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 11:06
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Ummmm,,, two #1,  two #7 & two # 11 ??  I guess that's one way to sneak a few extras in.LOL
I suppose I can stop posting the albums "bubbling under" Top 7, but of course there two at 7 if they have the same amount of points. If it was two at 6 there wouldn't be any a 7
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 11:40

I suppose I can stop posting the albums "bubbling under" Top 7, but of course there two at 7 if they have the same amount of points. If it was two at 6 there wouldn't be any a 7

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the post . I thought these were your selections. I did realize you were tallying the points, My bad. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 13:59
A bit arbitrary, except for the first one, but otherwise I'd have 12 candidates for a top 7 in no particular order (not considering live albums...):

1. Civilization Phaze III
2. One Size Fits All
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Hot Rats
5. The Grand Wazoo
6. Apostrophe
7. Joe's Garage

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 14:55
2. Hot Rats (8 points)
3. The Grand Wazoo (6 points)
4. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (4 points)
5. Sleep Dirt (3 points)
6. One Size Fits All ( (2 points)
7. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1 point)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 15:21
Good thread!
1 The Grand Wazoo
2 Hot Rats
3 Uncle Meat
4 Jazz From Hell
5 One Size Fits All
6 Waka / Jawaka
7 Roxy & Elsewhere
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2022 at 16:14
Uncle Meat (1969)
Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
The Grand Wazoo (1972)
Over-Nite Sensation (1973)
Hot Rats (1969)
Waka/Jawaka (1972)
Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar (1981)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2022 at 00:20
OverniteThe Grand Wazoo has taken a quite comfortable lead, while Uncle Meat, Civilization Phaze III and Burnt Weeny Sandwich has entered the Top 7:

1. The Grand Wazoo (44 points)
2. One Size Fits All (33 points)
2. Hot Rats (33 points)
4. Over-Nite Sensation (28 points)
4. Waka / Jawaka (28 points)
6. Uncle Meat (19 points)
7. Civilization Phaze III (12 points)
7. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (12 points)

……… the three closest are:

Apostrophe' (10 points)
Joe's Garage (Act 1) (8 points)
Weasels Ripped My Flesh (8 points)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2022 at 02:07

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the post . I thought these were your selections. I did realize you were tallying the points, My bad. 
no worries:)
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2022 at 20:21
1. We're Only In It For The Money
2. Lumpy Gravy
3. Uncle Meat
4. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
5. Weasels Ripped My Flesh
6. Civilization Phaze III
7. Dance Me This

Edited by Moonshake - December 10 2022 at 20:25
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2022 at 22:24
Hi,

Sad ... no one else cares about 200 Motels, and at the time it was done it was one of the most progressive and original things ever done ... one of the first times video was done with film, for example. It also had more satire and stuff that is way out there, not to mention the musical variety is insane ... but we're all rockers ... do we care about the rest of the music?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2022 at 02:07
1. We're Only In It For The Money.
2. Hot Rats.
3. Uncle Meat.
4. Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
5. The Grand Wazoo.
6. Lumpy Gravy.
7. Over-Nite Sensation.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2022 at 02:28

Hi,

Of all the things, even though things like "Overnight Sensation" and "Apostrophe", or "Hot Rats" and even "The Grand Wazoo" are super nice, to me, the most impressive and valuable of all of these is "200 MOTELS" because its satiric edge and totality of work is insane and not something that anyone else has even considered doing since then. Here we are, 50 plus years, and that thing is still crazy, without all the beers and dope and BS about it being a hit.

Here's an idea: pick seven albums as the OP requested, and then STFU. No one cares about your pompous editorializing and tw*tish insults of other posters. So stop defecating on otherwise enjoyable threads. 

Oh, and the classical recordings released later in Zappa's career are alright as those things go, but they are certainly not some of his best albums. Just because you can hire a symphony doesn't make it particularly great. 

Here's my choices, in no particular order:

Hot Rats
Over-Nite Sensation
Apostrophe
Freak Out!
Uncle Meat
Weasels Ripped My Flesh
You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Vols. 1 and 2

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 11 2022 at 02:29
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>