Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Going for the One (1977)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YES - Going for the One (1977)
    Posted: January 07 2024 at 05:37
YES, today we're Going for the One album that's arguably the most approachable YES album to date - at least until 90125 came along in 1983 - when many new fans would Awaken to the new sound of YES. Undoubtedly, Going for the One was a Big Generator of new interest in YES, and to reflect the change of sound, there was a Dramatic change of album artwork too (from Roger Dean to Hipgnosis), represented by a naked man looking up at the the twin towers of Century City in California, which closely Parallels the twin towers of the World Trade Centre in New York City that stood for just 28 years, up until the terrible events of 9/11 at the Turn of the Century. Going for the One featured the Dramatic re-Union of the line-up from Tales from Topographic Oceans, when Patrick Moraz was "let go" after the recording of the previous Relayer album, and when Heaven & Earth had to be moved to persuade Rick Wakeman to return after the torturous recording of the Topographic Oceans album, when there was Talk of Rick being driven Close to the Edge of breaking point. Going for the One features the most successful YESsong so far: Wonderous Stories, which climbed to #7 in the UK singles chart. Surprisingly though, Going for the One is only the 9th best-selling YES album of all time, despite ascending The Ladder of success to reach #1 in the UK album charts for two weeks back in 1977. Going for the One also includes one of YES' best-loved songs: Awaken, with Rick Wakeman's magnificent church organ solo rocking the aisles  at St. Martin's church, near to where the album was recorded at Mountain Studios in the picturesque Swiss town of Montreux. Going for the One features just five songs, but after the side-long epics of the last three albums, five songs seems like a relative abundance of YessongsSmile

YES line-up:- Jon Anderson; Steve Howe; Chris Squire; Rick Wakeman; & Alan White

Track Listing

1. Going for the One  (5:30)
2. Turn of the Century  (7:58)
3. Parallels  (5:52)
4. Wonderous Stories  (3:47)
5. Awaken  (15:38)

Top 10 Best-Selling YES Albums

01. 90125   (Sales: 4,128,370)
02. Fragile  (Sales: 2,300,00)
03. Close to the Edge  (Sales: 1,475,687)
04. Yessongs  (Sales: 1,327,480)
05. Tormato  (Sales: 1,115,380)
06. Classic Yes  (Sales: 1,060,000)
06. The Yes Album  (Sales: 1,060,000)
08. Big Generator  (Sales: 1,022,910)
09. Going for the One  (Sales: 726,380)
10. Tales from Topographic Oceans  (Sales: 672,680)

And the worst-selling YES album of all time?

Open Your Eyes, with total worldwide album sales of just 3,450  

Why am I not surprised. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 08 2024 at 16:23
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 05:49
I only like the last 3 songs, I guess this makes it a 3 star album. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 06:09
I used to have issues with the title song.  Rael's documentary gave me deeper insights into  "Going For The One".  Paul posted the documentary video below.  Highly recommended. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 07 2024 at 08:13
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 07:39
YES - The Story of Going for the One

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 08:38
Rael NYC, great channel.

For me, in my top 3 Yes albums, behind 1) TFTO, and 2) CTTE, I really like the production on this album. I've heard it described at Going For the One Side 2 is the best side in Prog Rock history, as it contains the greatest short prog song (Wonderous Stories) and the Greatest long song, (Awaken)
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 17:41
It's a bit of a dog's dinner of an album, no direction and I don't like the tinny sounding production. Highlights for me are anywhere Rick plays pipe organ (Parallels and Awaken) plus Steve Howe's stunning acoustic guitar work on Turn Of The Century. The title track doesn't appeal to me, I especially don't like the steel guitar in the mix (just grates). Wonderous Stories is just okay but a bit 'lite' when you compare it to the similar And You And I while Awaken is a strange epic. Starts with intent but goes nowhere until Wakeman rescues it. Essentially it's a hymn like ELP's Endless Enigma but I prefer ELP's.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 21:40
'Going for the One' is my favorite Yes album. The only weak track is "Parallels," which isn't even bad. It just pales in comparison to the greatness that surrounds it. "Awaken" is my favorite Yes song. "Turn of the Century" is one of the most beautiful Yes songs that I have a personal connection with. I can't praise 'Going for the One' enough. Absolute masterpiece.

Edited by Magog2112 - January 07 2024 at 21:40
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 00:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's a bit of a dog's dinner of an album, no direction and I don't like the tinny sounding production. Highlights for me are anywhere Rick plays pipe organ (Parallels and Awaken) plus Steve Howe's stunning acoustic guitar work on Turn Of The Century. The title track doesn't appeal to me, I especially don't like the steel guitar in the mix (just grates). Wonderous Stories is just okay but a bit 'lite' when you compare it to the similar And You And I while Awaken is a strange epic. Starts with intent but goes nowhere until Wakeman rescues it. Essentially it's a hymn like ELP's Endless Enigma but I prefer ELP's.

I agree. 
Howe ruins the title song which could have been good, it's like Yes wanted to do a hard rock song, but Howe did not know how to do it. LOL
Parallels is one of my favorite Yes songs. Is that a hot take? LOL
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 01:49
I got this album for Christmas in 1977 and have loved it ever since. Smile

I thoroughly enjoyed that documentary on the making of the album.

Edited by Octopus II - January 08 2024 at 01:50
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 02:35
Saw the tour for that album (first time seeing Yes)

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Agreed on these points, especially the guitar tones of Howe (not that I'm feeling better when Gilmour toys with the same instrument) and it's a very average album for the band back then - nowadays, it's a top 10, though). If there wasn't Awaken, I wouldn't like it at all.

Awaken (and not Awakeman, like Rael saysLOL - never thought of that one myself OuchLOL ) is definitely my fave post-75 Yesssss track with Mind Drive.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8423742b0be55d39',t:'MTcwNDcwNjU2Mi4wODAwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">

Edited by Sean Trane - January 08 2024 at 02:36
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 04:22
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I got this album for Christmas in 1977 and have loved it ever since. Smile

I thoroughly enjoyed that documentary on the making of the album.

Cherished, happy, Christmas memory. Smile 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 04:46
I actually like the title track, and if it wasn't for that and Awaken, this would be a 3-star album for me. Totally agree on the production being off. Still, it's a 4-star effort that I would rate as their sixth best release. All it's missing is some pew-pew sounds and some crooked window blinds.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:25
I seem to be the only one who loves the production on this album LOL
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:04
Have you ever wondered what happened to the lost YES album that should've been released a year prior to Going for the One? Well, wonder no more, because here it is, exclusive to ProgArchives and 100 gazillion listeners on YouTube. Smile

4 stars 1976: YES - The Lost Album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSbOcLOCLE
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

No kidding? Ouch.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 13:04
My favorite Yes album with Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman.

No problems with the production/album cover: risks were taken, and I find them successful.

There's just something so energetic, so visceral about these songs, even during the quieter moments, that I never tire of hearing it. It fully lives up to, and even exceeds, the power and majesty of the pre-TFTO albums.
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:01

YES, today we're Going for the One album that's arguably the most approachable YES album to date - at least until 90125 came along in 1983 - when many new fans would Awaken to the new sound of YES. Undoubtedly, Going for the One was a Big Generator of new interest in YES, and to reflect the change of sound, there was a Dramatic change of album artwork too (from Roger Dean to Hipgnosis), represented by a naked man looking up at the the twin towers of Century City in California, which closely Parallels the twin towers of the World Trade Centre in New York City that stood for just 28 years, up until the terrible events of 9/11 at the Turn of the Century. Going for the One featured the Dramatic re-Union of the line-up from Tales from Topographic Oceans, when Patrick Moraz was "let go" after the recording of the previous Relayer album, and when Heaven & Earth had to be moved to persuade Rick Wakeman to return after the torturous recording of the Topographic Oceans album, when there was Talk of Rick being driven Close to the Edge of breaking point. Going for the One features the most successful YESsong so far: Wonderous Stories, which climbed to #7 in the UK singles chart. Surprisingly though, Going for the One is only the 9th best-selling YES album of all time, despite ascending The Ladder of success to reach #1 in the UK album charts for two weeks back in 1977. Going for the One also includes one of YES' best-loved songs: Awaken, with Rick Wakeman's magnificent church organ solo rocking the aisles  at St. Martin's church, near to where the album was recorded at Mountain Studios in the picturesque Swiss town of Montreux. Going for the One features just five songs, but after the side-long epics of the last three albums, five songs seems like a relative abundance of YessongsSmile

YES line-up:- Jon Anderson; Steve Howe; Chris Squire; Rick Wakeman; & Alan White

Track Listing

Paul,

Those sale figures are no doubt inaccurate. The Yes Album you have listed as having 1,060,000 sales. The Yes Album went Platinum in the US (1,000,000) and Silver in the UK (60,000). If what you have listed about the Yes Album is correct that would mean Yes did not sell one single album more from the date it was certified Platinum by the RIAA or Silver by the BPI or one copy in any other country.The Dutch Charts show that the Yes Album charted as high as #7 in that country and year end was the 52nd best selling album in that country. So, it appears there were some copies of that album sold in that country.

Close to the Edge is listed as having 1,475,687 copies sold. CTTE went Platinum in the US (1,000,000), Britain (300,000) and Canada (100,000). That is 1,400,000 copies sold. The RIAA last certified CTTE on April 10, 1998. The BPI certified CTTE Platinum on May 12, 1984. If you look at the BPI chart, it shows not one single copy sold since that date as it is just a flat line since that date. You can see that here:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/1381-1295-2

CTTE charted #1 in the Dutch Charts, #16 in Japan, #14 in Italy, #36 in Germany and #21 in Australia.

I would suspect that the figures you have listed are probably far lower than what the real figures would be.

Another example is the Kansas albums Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Best Of are listed by the RIAA as going 4x Platinum respectively. Howeve, Kansas has stated those albums sold each more than 6,000,000 copies in the US.

My understanding is that the certification process is expensive and bands feel like it is not worth the cost. Some labels don't want to do the certification process not only because of cost but, want to keep the actual real sales figures hidden from the band.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:08
My main issue is the album cover. Why is a naked man staring at buildings?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:11
^^ It looks like my album sales figures have turned out to be as dodgy as one of Arthur Daley's motors. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 08 2024 at 16:12
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:16
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

Track Listing

Paul,

Those sale figures are no doubt inaccurate. The Yes Album you have listed as having 1,060,000 sales. The Yes Album went Platinum in the US (1,000,000) and Silver in the UK (60,000). If what you have listed about the Yes Album is correct that would mean Yes did not sell one single album more from the date it was certified Platinum by the RIAA or Silver by the BPI or one copy in any other country.The Dutch Charts show that the Yes Album charted as high as #7 in that country and year end was the 52nd best selling album in that country. So, it appears there were some copies of that album sold in that country.

Close to the Edge is listed as having 1,475,687 copies sold. CTTE went Platinum in the US (1,000,000), Britain (300,000) and Canada (100,000). That is 1,400,000 copies sold. The RIAA last certified CTTE on April 10, 1998. The BPI certified CTTE Platinum on May 12, 1984. If you look at the BPI chart, it shows not one single copy sold since that date as it is just a flat line since that date. You can see that here:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/1381-1295-2

CTTE charted #1 in the Dutch Charts, #16 in Japan, #14 in Italy, #36 in Germany and #21 in Australia.

I would suspect that the figures you have listed are probably far lower than what the real figures would be.

Another example is the Kansas albums Leftoverture, Point of Know Return and Best Of are listed by the RIAA as going 4x Platinum respectively. Howeve, Kansas has stated those albums sold each more than 6,000,000 copies in the US.

My understanding is that the certification process is expensive and bands feel like it is not worth the cost. Some labels don't want to do the certification process not only because of cost but, want to keep the actual real sales figures hidden from the band.

Well, it's certainly possible that the two best selling Kansas albums have sold 2 million more copies each of those two albums since 1995 but how would the band know that if they haven't consulted the RIAA? The answer is probably dust in the wind. Yes has probably sold more than what is listed also. All we can really do is guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>