Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborators’ TOP 20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Should a rating without a review count in deriving the TOP 20?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [19.05%]
17 [80.95%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators’ TOP 20
    Posted: September 09 2004 at 10:57

The ProgArchives Home Page displays the "TOP 20: Collaborators' most popular progressive rock albums". It is derived from Collaborators' star ratings irrespective of whether a Collaborator has posted a review to go with his/her rating.

Question: Should a rating without a review count in deriving the Collaborators' TOP 20?

Boy the above question sounds nerdy, but I'm asking it because e.g. PINK FLOYD's "Meddle" is higher up than "DSOTM" but the reviews by Collaborators for those two albums appear to indicate the opposite. Personally I'd prefer the TOP 20 to ignore Collaborators' star ratings unless they have accompanying text.

JrKASperov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 12:16
MAny of the star ratings are blatantly unfair. People tend to give 5 stars for 'just liking them' instead of measuring the prog aspects and seeing how well the music is being made. I also don't understand why masterpieces such as Fragile and Close and ITCOTCK are so low on the list, below ANGLAGARD, wtf is that band anyway?
Epic.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:16
I notice that the only ELP album in there was just about hanging on to No20 when I last looked.If changing the system gets it further up the chart then I agree
diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 13:36
Originally posted by JrKASperov JrKASperov wrote:

MAny of the star ratings are blatantly unfair. People tend to give 5 stars for 'just liking them' instead of measuring the prog aspects and seeing how well the music is being made. I also don't understand why masterpieces such as Fragile and Close and ITCOTCK are so low on the list, below ANGLAGARD, wtf is that band anyway?

I agree...to some extent...
It's right that some or maybe most of the 5 star ratings are given just because of liking the album...of course not everybody does and I think that most of the collaborators don't act this way...
Personally I liked the fact that Anglagard is on the top...I don't think that the top 20 should consist of Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, ELP and...that's it...Anglagard made two unbelievable good albums and I think they deserve to be on the top...
Many prog fans just like Yes and Genesis...many think that these bands are EVERYTHING...there's so many good stuff out there...it's good to see that the collaborators also appreciate other bands than the "big ones"

I was blown away by Yes and Genesis in the beginning of my "prog era"...now where I know so many other bands I really think that Genesis and especially Yes are nothing special compared to some of the really terrific stuff out there...And who wants to have a top 20 with Genesis, Yes and Pink Floyd...without other bands? I don't...

Now back to the main topic:
I think the fact that only collaborator's ratings count for the ranking is enough...You can't filter out much more of the so called "unfair ratings"
I believe that most of the collaborators really think about their ratings...I don't think that there are so many of us giving away 5 stars for an album they simply like without including other thoughts...there may be some of those ratings for sure but what could we do against the few (only refering to the collaborators) of them? I think there's nothing we can do...at least without devaluating the thoughtful ratings by just leaving all of them out, lumping them all together...

sorry, bad english today, I'm very tired...

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 14:52

Any chart is going to have its shortcomings, but I think the one on the home page is a pretty good reflection on our collective tastes, if the forum is anyhting to go by.

No great hangups about whether or not a review is submitted with the star rating to count. Personally, I cannot see the point of just giving a rating, it's writing the review which is the enjoyable bit anyway. Writing the review should help to lead you to the appropriate star rating.

diddy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 15:01
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

No great hangups about whether or not a review is submitted with the star rating to count. Personally, I cannot see the point of just giving a rating, it's writing the review which is the enjoyable bit anyway. Writing the review should help to lead you to the appropriate star rating.

That's totally right...

But there's maybe one point of just giving a star rating without a review: I can imagine very well that it might be not very easy for someone to write a review for one of the "big ones"...there are more than 30 reviews, some of the authors have seen the band live...what should a 20 year old proghead tell THEM about Foxtrot just to name an example? Or better (because reviews are mainly for people not knowing the band) wich information could he add, after 30 reviews? I haven't written a review for one of these albums yet...and I for one don't know if I'm going to do so. If there's someone who anyhow wants to contribute something I don't know why he should't rate the album without the review...I don't do so but I think it's a point because I know the problems with reviewing albums like Foxtrot...

Edited by diddy
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear...
George Orwell
Carlos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 15:51
THIS ONE IS FOR THE NON-SPEAKING ENGLISH MEMBERS (BUT THOSE WHO WILL UNDERSTAND THIS WORDS): I KNOW SOME OF YOU GUYS DOESN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO WRITE SOME WORDS IN ENGLISH WHILE REVIEWING SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE ALBUMS...AND JUST CAST YOUR VOTE AND NO REVIEW ABOUT THE WHYS OF YOUR RATING. MY ENGLISH IS NOT PERFECT, THANKS TO THIS WEBSITE I'M IMPROVING MY COMPRENHENSION, BUT IF YOU HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE ALBUM OR GROUP YOU LIKE, JUST WRITE IT IN YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE, THOUGH IT'S SAID THAT YOU SHOULD WRITE YOUR OPINIONS IN ENGLISH, PROGARCHIVES DOESN'T BAN YOUR REVIEWS EITHER IF THEY ARE IN SPANISH OR IN OTHER LANGUAGE. I MADE SOME REVIEWS IN  SPANISH, BUT FROM NOW ON I'LL DO IT IN ENGLISH, BY THE WAY, SOME OF MY SPANISH REVIEWS HAVE BEEN DELETED FROM THE WEBSITE , BUT NO MATTER, WRITE ABOUT YOUR TASTES ON PROGRESSIVE MUSIC... I GLAD TO BE A NEWBIE REVIEWER  I THINK THE COUNTING STARS SHOULD GO ACCORDING WITH THE CRITICS YOU READ ABOUT THAT PARTICULAR ALBUM.
Democracy=A form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people...

Carlos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 16:02

ANOTHER THING IS THAT IN THIS SIDE OF THE WORLD SOME GREAT ALBUMS DOESN'T COME AROUND HERE. ANGLAGARD IS A VERY RARE BAND IN THESE TROPICAL LANDS...BUT WE HAVE GENESIS, FLOYD, MARILLION, RUSH AND OTHERS THAT ARE REALLY POPULAR "ROCK" BANDS (AND I MEAN ROCK... AROUND HERE SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS HARDER IS ROCK IN GENERAL TERMS). THAT COULD BE A REASON WHY SOME OF THE WELL-KNOWN BANDS APPEAR IN THE 20'S MOST POPULAR.

ANYWAY I'M GLAD THAT FOXTROT IS TOPPING THE CHART

Democracy=A form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 16:12
Originally posted by diddy diddy wrote:

But there's maybe one point of just giving a star rating without a review: I can imagine very well that it might be not very easy for someone to write a review for one of the "big ones"...there are more than 30 reviews, some of the authors have seen the band live...what should a 20 year old proghead tell THEM about Foxtrot just to name an example? Or better (because reviews are mainly for people not knowing the band) wich information could he add, after 30 reviews? I haven't written a review for one of these albums yet...and I for one don't know if I'm going to do so. If there's someone who anyhow wants to contribute something I don't know why he should't rate the album without the review...I don't do so but I think it's a point because I know the problems with reviewing albums like Foxtrot...

All reviews are equally valid. As one of the older ones, I value the opinions of "20 year old progheads" immensely. Sometimes, the affection us older ones have for our "favourites" may unintentionally inhibit us from writing about them objectively. Many of us have fond memories attached to those albums. To read reviews written without that "baggage" can be as enlightening and informative as a historical appraisal.

Because some of us have listened to albums such as "Foxtrot" constantly for over 30 years for example, we perceive that they have not aged. It can be very interesting to hear the views of someone who is listening to them for the first time in 2004.

Never hold back, diversity of views and perspectives is what this site thrives on.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 16:18
I think that the reviews section is a great idea. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and many opinions help you formulate an idea of how an album might appeal to you. A star system without notes is pointless.The collaborators top 20 seems a bit top heavy with cetrtain bands and does not seem to reflect a consensus view.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 00:23

All:

First, let me say that I agree that ratings should not be included without an accompanying review.  True, it might take a bit of time to write text reviews for 20 or 30 albums, but that is not an excuse.  If necessary, write a short review; after all, one can say alot in two or three well-chosen paragraphs.

That said, I believe there are two factors involved here.  First, unless I am gravely mistaken, the majority of "collaborators" are "older."  Yes, there are some "youngsters," ()  but most of the collaborators lived through the early years of prog.  Thus, we are more familiar with the "seminal" bands (Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, VDGG), and they (and a few others) hold a special place in our hearts.

Which leads me to the second factor: history.  Although many neo-prog bands are exceptionally talented re composition, musicianship, production, etc., there is no question that all of them were influenced by one or another of the seminal bands listed above, to various degrees: i.e., it is rare that a "neo-prog" band adds anything truly "new" to the prog-rock "lexicon."  Given this, I have stated many times that, for me, the "success" of a neo-prog band is dependent on how well they "filter" those influences, and what comes out the other end.

Many neo-prog bands "wear their influences on their sleeves."  And although even some of these bands are quite good (and listenable, depending on your tastes), they suffer from a lack of "creativity" (which is not the same as originality"; one can be "creative" even with obvious influences).

However, some neo-prog bands are more successful at filtering their influences, and come out with music that is "creative," possibly even (in some sense) "new" and/or interesting - and, if they're really good, something exciting, compelling or even extraordinary.  And although these bands are few, they do "get their due" here on Progarchives, at least as far as I have seen.

Having said all that, I believe that those of us from the "old school" are not so much "denying" the excellence of neo-prog bands (certainly most (or all) of us see the exceptional merits of bands like Marillion, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Anglagard, and many early and neo-prog Italian groups), but rather have a difficult time "taking them on their own merits," since, by their very nature, they are filtering the influence of one or more of the seminal prog groups.

I agree that this may be an impediment to reviewing neo-prog with the same "ear" as we (i.e., the "older folks") do with seminal prog.  And I, personally, have been making efforts to listen for and find the "new masterpieces" (as our good friend Peter Rideout puts it) among neo-prog groups and albums.  And I strongly urge my "older" colleagues to do the same.

However, although I consider Dream Theater's "Scenes From a Memory," Spock's Beard's "The Light," and Ark's "Burn the Sun" (among others) to be candidates for "new masterpieces," I gave them each four stars rather than five because, although they are clearly exceptional, even highly "creative" works, they could not have existed without the prior works of the seminal prog bands that those groups (and others) were filtering.  This seems to be one (and possibly the primary) reason why we "older folks" have a hard time giving five stars to neo-prog albums.  And as you can imagine, it is something extremely difficult to "get around" and ignore.

Comments?

Peace.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 01:11

I also believe as Maani says that no rating without a review should be counted, giving 5 starts to our favorite bands is really easy, but in my case I want to know why someone rates an album with 5 stars and another one with 0 stars.

Any person can do a 50 words review, and every opinion is important, so even when there may be 30 reviews about Foxtrot, another one can give a new perspective we've not seen before.

If a person is not willing to explain why he believes an album deserves 1, 2 or 5 stars, this rating should not be counted because probably that person doesn't know why he/she is giving that number of stars.

Just a pecission Maani:

I really don't like Neo Prog (As a genre) too much, but it's precise to describe what Neo Prog' means for all of us, I usually see people mentioning bands like Anglagard, Par Lindh, Magenta, Dream Theater, etc as Neo Progressive, which IMO is not accurate. Neo Prog is according to GEPR (Definition with which I agree):

Quote Neo-Progressive

Symphonic rock done in a typically more simple or commercial format. Also very lush but lacking the complexity of the upper bands.

Bands

Marillion, IQ, Pendragon, Aragon, etc.

Bands as Anglagard, Par Lindh and Magenta are clearly symphonic, and I believe they have a lot to offer. Dream Theater is prog metal and even though is not my cup of tea, the band members sure have a great talent.

Not every band that relesed albums after the 70's is neo prog'.

Iván

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 01:45

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I notice that the only ELP album in there was just about hanging on to No20 when I last looked.If changing the system gets it further up the chart then I agree

Me too Richard... !!!

THIS IS ELP
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 04:22

I have two small points, exposing my ignorance .

1. Is the "top 20" very important? I rarely do more than glance at it (I have been a little surprised to see Anglagard so frequently). To be fair, if I were just discovering prog, it would be a great 'must have' list- but even in that case, I've never seen a single album appear there that wouldn't be worth having.

2. I didn't even know it was possible to submit ratings without reviews; doing so never crossed my mind- even now that I do know, I won't be likely to do it. I think reviews without ratings would be a more mature approach, but I also comprehend the usefulness of a 'quick view' method.

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 07:21

James,

I think the TOP 20 (which can be expanded to a TOP 50 by clicking on a link at the botom of the list) *is* important. Not to you or me perhaps, but to new visitors to this site who are looking for information on the genre and would like to discover more about it. It is conceivable that someone visits ProgArchives who has little knowledge of the genre but wants recommendations on which albums he/she should buy to 'get into' the genre. The TOP 20 list is a good - and simple - place to start.

That's one of the reasons why I suggested a TOP 10 to MAX@ in the first place, although I wanted it to be based on *all* of the thousands of reviews posted in the ProgArchives, not just Collaborators' reviews, but was overruled on the basis that spammers might try to influence the rankings. I find the Collaborators' TOP 20 much less interesting than a TOP 20 derived from *all* reviews posted, because it's much less indicative of the true popularity of albums. Back in June this year the TOP 50 based on *all* reviews, not just Collaborators' reviews, looked like this:

Column 1 : RV
Column 2: Nb. of rates
Column 3: CD ID
Column 4: CD TITLE

477 159 3777 Train Of Thought
336 84 1827 Close to the Edge
288 72 1510 Selling England By The Pound
264 66 1829 Relayer
260 65 1672 Scenes From A Memory Metropolis Part II
244 61 1662 Images And Words
244 61 2 Foxtrot
224 56 1440 Dark Side of the Moon, The
224 56 1825 Fragile
212 53 1828 Tales From Topographic Oceans
204 51 1511 The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
196 49 1443 The Wall
196 49 3 Nursery Cryme
192 48 1903 In the Court of the Crimson King
188 47 1911 Red
184 46 1826 The YES Album
184 46 328 Mirage
180 45 329 The Snow Goose
180 45 1441 Wish You Were Here
180 45 1442 Animals
168 42 1512 Wind And Wuthering
164 41 1433 Piper at the Gates of Dawn, The
164 41 2019 Thick As A Brick
160 40 2448 Trespass
160 40 3070 2112
160 40 330 Moonmadness
160 40 5 A Trick Of The Tail
156 39 1438 Meddle
156 39 3076 Moving Pictures
156 39 2177 The Power To Believe
156 39 2018 Aqualung
152 38 3073 Hemispheres
148 37 1513 Second Out
144 36 1437 Atom Heart Mother
144 36 1995 In Absentia
144 36 1909 Larks' Tongues in Aspic
140 35 1914 Discipline
140 35 2022 A Passion Play
140 35 1666 Awake
140 35 1623 Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
140 35 327 Camel
136 34 1905 Lizard
136 34 1872 Brain Salad Surgery
132 33 1754 Script for a Jester's Tear
132 33 1831 Going for the One
132 33 3075 Permanent Waves
128 32 1833 Drama
128 32 1863 Tarkus
128 32 621 The Seventh House
128 32 890 Misplaced Childhood

It's much more interesting - and representative - than the Collaborators' TOP 50 in my opinion.

Anyway, back to my original question at the beginning of this thread, I'm glad to see that most of you agree that Collaborators ratings should not be counted in deriving the TOP 20 unless the rating is accompanied by a review.

And to diddy, who asks "...what should a 20 year old proghead tell THEM about Foxtrot just to name an example?" I would say: "Anything you want!" In my opinion reviews should focus on the music and how you feel about it, so that anyone who does not know the album (well, or at all) can decide whether or not it is worth getting. You don't need to be an expert in GENESIS or have been to GENESIS concerts to review "Foxtrot". So don't worry, diddy, write your review of Foxtrot and any other 'great' albums. Tell us how the music moves you, what it makes you think of, how it sounds to you, etc. Us old farts are also interested in the opinion of youngsters!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 09:33
Indeed, this top 50 is a VERY much better representation! I actually like it
Epic.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 10:39
I don't!!  ELP is way underrated, BSS should be in the top 10 and Trilogy is missing.  That in itself is a sin!!
THIS IS ELP
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 11:20

threefates,

I'm a fan of ELP and would have liked one or more the first four ELP albums to be in the "real" TOP 20, but what you and I think is popular is not necessarily what really *is* popular.

That's why I like the idea of a TOP 20 list based on thousands of different reviews and not a "select few", because it tells me what the majority of Prog fans are thinking.

If you're familiar with the science of statistics (Am I correct in thinking you mentioned you were in marketing?) then the bigger the sample size, the more representative it is of the statistical population, i.e. the more accurate it is.

I'm not a fan of Dream Theater, but it is high up in the "real" TOP 20, so the Collaborators do not appear to be representative of the majority of Prog fans. Similarly, ELP is not as popular amongst the majority. I'm 'sad' about it, but it appears to be the case. "Shoganai" as the Japanese say.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 11:27

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I don't!!  ELP is way underrated, BSS should be in the top 10 and Trilogy is missing.  That in itself is a sin!!

No.

Epic.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2004 at 15:13

Maani,

As always, you make your points well and very persuasively. After considering further the comments made by yourself and others, I am agree that star ratings without reviews should not count towards the chart positions.

I disagree however with what you say about neo-prog bands (I acknowledge Ivan’s valid point here about the correct definition of neo-prog, but let’s assume we are referring to bands such as those you mention). The proposition that one star should be deducted from a rating because the band or album could not have existed without the prior works you mention, has to be flawed. Without exception, the "seminal" bands themselves also filtered many influences (be it classical music, blues, jazz, the Beatles, etc.) to create their masterpieces. I would suggest we have now become so familiar with those masterpieces, that we overlook the level of derivation and indeed plagiarism that exists in some of those masterpieces. I think for example I am right in saying that you have previously cited ELP as being guilty of plagiarism, or something close to it.

As an aside, the term "filtering" is interesting, as could imply "disguising". Is disguising more credible than being up front about ones influences, and "wearing them on your sleeve"? Roger Waters suggested that "A momentary lapse of reason" was a clever forgery. I believe what he was saying was that the band had filtered his influences well, but that the album was highly derivative of his work and ideas. Given that the album was made by "Pink Floyd" and sounded like "Pink Floyd", is this a fair accusation?

Suppose "A momentary lapse of reason" had been recorded by Pendragon, instead of Pink Floyd (with or without Waters), but sounded exactly as the same. Would it have been less worthy, i.e. should a three star rating become two?

I would say if an album is good enough for five stars, it should get five stars. It is too easy to get bogged down in identifying and assuming influences and derivations which may or may not be there. The music should be heard for what it is, and assessed on that basis. Many reviewers will say in the course of a review, that the band "can be compared to Pink Floyd", or a track sounded "similar to Porcupine Tree". These comments give useful references to those who have not heard the music, of the type of music they can expect to hear. It does not necessarily imply the band have derived their music from those sources.

Even if there has been some obvious derivation, that for me is not in itself a reason for criticism. If I enjoy the sound of Dave Gilmour’s guitar work, and find the guitar work on Mostly Autumn’s albums to be similar, I will enjoy it and rate it according to how much pleasure it gives me, regardless of how similar it sounds.

I guess you have raised an interesting point for debate. Should albums be rated purely on how much the reviewer enjoys them? If the reviewer detects (or thinks they detect) that the band have clearly been influenced by other bands or works, should they give a reduced rating to the album, even if they personally find it to be among most enjoyable albums they have heard? A practical example: I find that the early music of Porcupine Tree is very similar (derivative if you willWink) to the earlier works of Pink Floyd, but I enjoy the music of Porcupine Tree more. I will therefore give Porcupine Tree a higher rating than Pink Floyd. What would others do in such a situation?

Given that prog is a (fairly loosely) defined style of music, surely it is inevitable that the bands of today will appear to have been influenced by those of the 70's. Indeed, is that not what recommends them to us?

One final point, at the end of the day, a band can take all the influences it likes, and still make a bad album. The most obvious example for me is within the Jethro Tull catalogue. They made a sublime masterpiece in "Thick as a brick". They then took their own influences from that album, with little or no filtering, and managed to come up with "A passion play", probably the worst follow up album in history (with due apologies to those who like it!).

Fitzcarraldo,

I agree that a chart which takes all reviews into account would be ideal, but still have concerns about hyping. The algorithm used to calculate the chart would need to be carefully considered. I think I’m right in saying "Train of thought" comes out top in the chart you posted because of the number of people who have rated it. The chart would need to be based on an average rating, but that in itself has flaws. An album with one five star review would come out above one with 500 five star reviews and one four star review. Overall, I would say leave things as they are, warts and all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>