Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt's possible to know all albums on PA ? (NO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's possible to know all albums on PA ? (NO)
    Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:18

Probably not, but it is certainly challenging and adventurous goal. I myself have already started two years before, but I soon realized sheer size of this project. It's life long goal ladies and gentlemen. It's almost lifestyle than just a hobby. I'm not sure.

But even it's impossible, as more and more albums will be added to database, it's like one rule from mathematics I like, called "limit".

In other words - you can be closing to certain point "knowing them all", but you will never get there. But the important thing is that you are trying.

Intentionally, I'm not raising questions how to get all these albums, or where would you store them (having whole room just for records probably), or even that some of them are so rare that it's nearly impossible (or even impossible) to get some of them.

Questions:

1)How would this change you (me) when you know more and more, what would advantages and disadvantages be like ?

2)Is it possible to remember then all ? Is it possible to review all of them ?

3)Because we're mortals, it's probably not possible to hear all albums that you would like to hear in a lifetime. Or is it ? I suppose it's not, so how to deal with this issue ?

I like keeping myself moving towards big goals. The ones that are very hard to get. Because therefore I will be still moving. And this moving means listening music, which is good.

Edited by Marty McFly - June 10 2010 at 14:21
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:22
I feel like I know a world of prog music JUST by listening to Ghost Reveries.
It's really the quality, not quantity that mattttttters
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:24
What I meant is, when you listen too much you get tired and won't enjoy them anymore.

I try to listen to as little music as possible.

Too much of anything is too much for me
-- The Who "Too Much"

Edited by paganinio - June 09 2010 at 08:35
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:27
hey I've got an idea, you can create a support group and listen to all albums on PA together. It's like, one person listen to 90,000 albums, another person listen to 80,000 albums, so you can achieve this goal as a team!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:31
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

What I meant is, when you listen too much you get tired and won't enjoy them anymore.I try to listen to as little music as possible.

I've not encountered that approach to music appreciation on prog archives before. Thanks for a refreshing perspective!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Wiktor Hatif View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:43
nope, as well as Progarchives will never file all prog and prog-related artists, even those from the past.
"Ffffaaahhh, seeko baaaaaa
Neeeeee toe, kare lo yeahhh
Sa sa sa sa saa! Fssss
Drrrrrrrrr bo ki!
Rapateeka! do go taaaam
Rapateeka! do go tchaa"

- "Atom Heart Mother" Pink Floyd/Ron Geesin
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 08:49

That idea would be a waste of your time here, Marty. My approach is rather listen to and review as much varied music as possible within the PA framework. This attitude has lead me to discover Flairck, Agitation Free, Return To Forever, Herba Hemali, Gilgamesh, Eskaton, Advent, Fruupp, Soft Machine and many other truly great bands I would had missed if my attitude was to listen to and review 50 x Genesis/Yes copycats bands and albums. The latter one would be my default option due to my love of symphonic prog. 

By default, ProgArchives invites everyone to expand their horizons and mind. My mind has been truly challenged and then expanded in all direction at my time in ProgArchives. This is ProgArchives greatest strength and reason for being here. So you should rather listen to 5 x albums from each genre instead of listen to everything.    

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 09 2010 at 08:50
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 09:44
I'd rather listen to a thousand Opeth clones than try out anything new.
That's why I stay comfortably numb within the progressive metal genre.
But really, What would they care if I did stay, No-one should know, oh no (insert amazing guitar solo here)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 09:53
Do worry, Paganinio. You will be converted to my way of thinking. LOL 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 10:23
It's like one of Zeno's paradoxes: One can never traverse a set distance, for to go the whole way one has to go half way first, and to get half way, one has to go half again, and so on until the half way marks are infinitesimal in length.  Maybe Lao Tzu meant something like this when he said, "To go on is to go far.  To go far is to return."  To know all the albums on Progarchives, one must know half of them, and to know those, one must know half of that, and so on.  Thus, even if there were a finite amount of albums, one still could not know all of them.  Geek
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 10:30
I don't know if it would be humanly possible to be able to memorize and recall every album on PA. I have trouble remembering the names of albums I've heard sometimes, even when I remember the music/song titles/album cover.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 10:54
Not possible to know all music in the porog scene but a nice goal - thx for putting htat insane idea in my headLOL

But i have tripled my knowledge of prog by listening to music here and reading the bios and album familiarisation, and that s a good thing as far as I am concerned. i DO have a goal tho to listen to every 5 star album here, as well as the top 100, and that is a feat in itself!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:01

1)How would this change you (me) when you know more and more, what would advantages and disadvantages be like ?

Being the number of neurons (so the memory capacity) of our brains limited, we probably act as with all the rest: listen to Starcastle and think they are Yes

2)Is it possible to remember then all ? Is it possible to review all of them ?

Of course no. When I review something I must have it in my earphones. On a review I wrote "Hungarian" about Collegium Musicum.  About reviewing all of them, if you copy other's reviews without spending time listening, perhaps yes.

3)Because we're mortals, it's probably not possible to hear all albums that you would like to hear in a lifetime. Or is it ? I suppose it's not, so how to deal with this issue ?

I promised myself to get into Frank Zappa 4 years ago. I still have to listen to the first CD.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:02
I already have this problem now that when I walk into a record store, I can't remember the names of all the bands I like! I usually resort to breaking out my mp3 player and searching for artists, but then I usually walk out knowing I'm forgetting something. Imagine having hundreds more bands to look for!

But to answer the question, I admire your love for music, but there truly is as much good stuff on here as there is bad, and it may be a waste of time to try and hear it all. The folks on here are pretty honest, so I'd go for the more highly rated albums, and stretch out from there, buying what interests you, not just what is here. Besides that, now that I've heard most of the "big name" bands (such as Tull, Zappa, Rush, Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Giant, VDGG, Genesis, Yed, Crim, ELP, etc) the more obscure bands (such as Magma and hundreds of others) are very difficult for me to find (I'm talking about online, they are impossible to find in stores in my area).
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Not possible to know all music in the porog scene but a nice goal - thx for putting htat insane idea in my headLOL

But i have tripled my knowledge of prog by listening to music here and reading the bios and album familiarisation, and that s a good thing as far as I am concerned. i DO have a goal tho to listen to every 5 star album here, as well as the top 100, and that is a feat in itself!

I wonder if there is a page in the Guinness World Record Book for "Most Prog Albums Listened to by a Single Man"
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

I wonder if there is a page in the Guinness World Record Book for "Most Prog Albums Listened to by a Single Man"
haha I would like to see that!
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:31
I do know that in the vinyl-collectors world there are collectors them know about 99% of all vinyl albums ever produced. Some of these guys know not only all the music, they know about years of release, different pressings, alternative cover-art, band-members, etc. There are some extreme people around.

Getting to know all prog that exist is very hard without a serious personality disorder. Feeling the need to own such a lot of music isn't healthy. At that stage it's not about the music anymore, it's about how record-collecting compensates for you personal or social problems.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:17
I can barely remember my name half the time these daysConfused

Edited by lazland - June 09 2010 at 12:18
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 12:50
Just to remember of the title of all Frank Zappa albums, is a difficult task! That's one thing i have learned in life, the intelligence is not like a dictionary, it's a world vision that not simply is collecting facts but is able to see from the highest perspective the true essence of the existence. Which is...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

I doubt it. Guinness has stopped accepting records which may endanger human lives. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>