Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Prog really a genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 11:05
Originally posted by Mehrdadgan Mehrdadgan wrote:

Prog is definitely a genre..
Because it is very unique in terms of song structure, composition and concept.
Well, the idea of 'prog' is occasionally considered a concept even when the mind is unable to adequately conceptualise or understand it.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 18:03
YES... Prog is a genre... And its the only genre to have hundreds of sub-genres following behind it, only because it is so interesting and exploratory.  Thats a good thing.  All praise King Prog & his subjects.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 20:28
^ I'd say Rock has more sub-genres - including Prog (and quite a few of its sub-genres) which is called Prog Rock you know.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - February 29 2024 at 22:07
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 21:27
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

YES... Prog is a genre... And its the only genre to have hundreds of sub-genres following behind it, only because it is so interesting and exploratory.  Thats a good thing.  All praise King Prog & his subjects.
Ask any metal-head how many established and recognized sub-genres of metal there are, and you will question the validity of this statement.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 22:02
^ NO genre has hundreds of subgenres. Not even prog and metal but they do have a lot!

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85d698c75c1515c2',t:'MTcwOTI2OTM2Ny4wMzcwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:00
I Admit my offhand exaggeration. Hundreds is out of line. Rock may have up to a hundred sub genres... I don't know, Some of it is subjective. Whatever became of Math Rock?  Is that something gleaned from Discipline era Crimson? Is Zappa Avant Prog? Sun Ra Progressive Jazz? or Avant Jazz?  Is Avant Jazz a prog sub-Genre or a sub-genre of jazz?   Was Bowie Prog? 

Mile Davis "In a silent way" is in the top 100 prog list here... is it really prog as some define it?  So is Queensryche.  I'm confused. 

It's a tedious undertaking. 

I had no idea there were so many sub genres of Metal, which is a sub-genre of Rock.

Edited by Valdez1 - February 29 2024 at 23:11
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 01:00
^ I never considered Zappa to be "Prog". Zappa was always in a league of his own. One of my top 10 favorite musicians of all time, and certainly deserving to be listed here, but he's not "Prog" as in "Progressive Rock" as it was defined after the classic prog releases of the early 70s.

Zappa and "Prog" have in common the progressive approach to writing, composing and performing music. So "Prog", as the word is used today, can mean both a (relatively narrow) sub genre of Rock music (think CttE/SEbtP), a wider sub genre encompassing everything from KC to Tangerine Dream, or a general attitude.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 03:02
Zappa and The Beatles were probably the biggest influences on progressive musicians but neither was really 'prog' as said. Which comes back to the main problem, is it down to attitude or creating a certain style. I'm not convinced it can be both at the same time. It's easily forgotten that plenty of critics were already becoming weary of a lot of prog circa 1972. It wasn't until 1977 that the walls were torn down though.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 05:07
I would say that Prog is both a genre and a subgenre and also a loose term/ category for music of great diversity, and the amount of diversity will vary from person to person. Prog can be such a nebulous term and such an indistinct classification. The amorphous qualities fit rock without boundaries, rock without limits, but it can take in non-rock music too. In a way I have thought of Prog as ageneric, genre-defying as well as genre-bending music, and also it can be a clearer genre of a more distinct style with distinct attributes. Prog to me is a spectrum, diverse. I tend not to associate my interests with the Prog term much, and more often would use the terms art, artsy, experimental or quirky for what I gravitate towards, much of which might be classified by people as Prog.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 05:49

"hundreds of sub-genres" is definitely an exaggeration, but a lot of sub-genres, I will call "PA Prog". Wink

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 05:55
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

"hundreds of sub-genres" is definitely an exaggeration, but a lot of sub-genres, I will call "PA Prog". Wink

There are even more prog subgenre names elsewhere. 
But you surely like to bash PA it seems. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 01:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just a tongue-in-cheek observation on basis of all my "Prog" experience and musical knowledge, and you asked me even earlier in this thread about my opinion concerning PA. 
Besides that, all talk about the Prog term without describing its specific use is in my opinion too abstract and rather meaningless.

Also, please, keep away from personal comments.

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 02:14

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Just a tongue-in-cheek observation on basis of all my "Prog" experience and musical knowledge, and you asked me even earlier in this thread about my opinion concerning PA. 
Besides that, all talk about the Prog term without describing its specific use is in my opinion too abstract and rather meaningless.

Also, please, keep away from personal comments.

You have NEVER explained what is wrong with the way PA defines prog/progressive rock, have you read the definitions and the prog rock guides from the main page? The prog subgenres pages? I'm not convinced you did, because otherwise we would get an explanation of what is wrong with them, wouldn't we?! Confused

What's a personal comment? Disagreeing with someone and a personal attack are not the same thing. 
You keep complaining and never tell the reason why. Confused

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 07:16
To contribute my own €0.02 to this eternal discussion, I'd say that prog is a genre, as it has its characteristic conventions, as to song structure (transcending the "radio single" format), compositional and lyrical sophistication all the way to concept albums and beyond (there are cycles of concept albums and even concept bands) and the like. Yet, it is a very wide and diverse genre with very different styles (compare Yes and Dream Theater: different styles, same genre), and as always with genres, the boundaries are fuzzy and nebulous. I have come across the term "meta-genre" somewhere, I don't know where though, and that may fit here.

At any rate, prog is not the same as music that is literally progressive, as a band that does nothing else than what the classic prog bands of the '70s do wouldn't be very progressive, but definitely within the prog genre. (At least here in Germany, we call that thing "retro-prog", which sums up its paradoxical nature aptly, I'd say.)
(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85ea34e80ef23731',t:'MTcwOTQ3NDk5MS42NjQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910