79 [51.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:09
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Well, nobody is Neil Peart but Neil Peart.

pfff.. he is no Carl Palmer that is for sure LOLWink
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah yeah yeah... old topic... we've beat that sh*tstain of an album into the ground..

let's talk about the 'wart' damnit!!! Who gave new life, and direction to the mighty King Crimson

Clap

Pretty much sums up why I don't like his music or his contribution to later King Crimson.

A matter of personal taste, I guess. He isn't to mine.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 07:41

pfff.. he is no Carl Palmer that is for sure LOLWink 
That would be correct; there is no Carl Palmer but Carl Palmer. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 09:32
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

yeah yeah yeah... old topic... we've beat that sh*tstain of an album into the ground..

let's talk about the 'wart' damnit!!! Who gave new life, and direction to the mighty King Crimson

Clap

Pretty much sums up why I don't like his music or his contribution to later King Crimson.

A matter of personal taste, I guess. He isn't to mine.

ehh.. tastes are a funny thing aren't they. Clap.  At least you didn't lead in with that, it is the truth of it isn't it but what is the fun in that,  but instead with guts and blood... and forever gave Belew the nickname of the 'wart'. I loved that btw. 

I'll make sure that lives forever in the halls of PA's. Giving you full credit of course LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 11:36

Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Since when was Belew a member of Talking Heads? Confused

He never was, but he collaborated with them a lot.

Remain In Light only. All of which was my point entirely, being that your post said "from Talking Heads". But you clearly know.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:13

Since when was Belew a member of Talking Heads? Confused

He never was, but he collaborated with them a lot.

Remain In Light only. All of which was my point entirely, being that your post said "from Talking Heads". But you clearly know.

It's the only one of his associated bands I've really listened to other than KC.

I was given Remain in Light and Little Creatures as part of my leaving present from St Andrews Univ; liked some of the latter, didn't like the former much.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:18

Voted for it looks like the runner up - Pink Floyd, I just prefer more of their albums.  However, neither get me that excited.
Help me I'm falling!
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:25
The results are currently 69-74. That's interesting because I consider the years 1969-74 to be the artistic peak of both bands.
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

The results are currently 69-74. That's interesting because I consider the years 1969-74 to be the artistic peak of both bands.

I think you are shaving a few years from each.. but point taken. What classic band really didn't peak during those years.

14 hours to go...still 74-69.  Great tight match, and CNN won't call it yet..  really curious to see how much if any movement we'll have from the 'holding the vote' voters.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:27
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes...
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:01
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's noticeable that Mason doesn't play much (at all?) there... and yeah he was no Neil Peart LOL 
Well, nobody is Neil Peart but Neil Peart. By the way, what's your opinion on drummers like Monsieur Schmitt: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2KOi_Ozf8A

or 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxHYH9SbfHo

(sorry for offtopicking and for exposing you to rather unbridled fusion)

Or Herr Minnemann :)
I knew those Ponty songs but not that drummer, very impressive Shocked
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:10
Surprised KC is up there in as many votes......PF for consistency of epic material
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 02:41
Its very interesting to me that you have two very different bands in the sense that Floyd were much more 'user friendly' in their approach compared to the 'jaggedness' of Crimson. You have to want a challenge to listen to Crimson whereas a lot of PF stuff is easy to listen to with perhaps the exceptions of Atom Heart Mother and The Final Cut. That's why I hope KC win as they represent what prog should be. I don't have to like them that much and that's my problem anyway.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 05:17
^Most of the studio album of Ummagumma is not easy to listen, I only started liking it the fifth time.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:03
2 hours to close!!!  Floyd slowly narrowing the gap!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 06:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Its very interesting to me that you have two very different bands in the sense that Floyd were much more 'user friendly' in their approach compared to the 'jaggedness' of Crimson. You have to want a challenge to listen to Crimson whereas a lot of PF stuff is easy to listen to with perhaps the exceptions of Atom Heart Mother and The Final Cut. That's why I hope KC win as they represent what prog should be. I don't have to like them that much and that's my problem anyway.

ehh..  I never bought the King Crimson being overly challenging/formidable schtick. None of it is particularly  challenging to listen to.  Some of it was good, some of it damn boring, some of it completely over praised (the middle era) some of it very unappreciated (the 'wart' years haha)

What they were though, to their enormous credit, were all over the place stylistically.  A very good measure when talking prog.  The only reason this is close is they are against the one group, outside of some of the non-mainstream groups (like TD) that can truly be said to be the originator and complete definer of a branch of progressive music.

This is a hard matchup to figure, at the start (of the contest as I had these two in my pre-tourny bracket reaching the final) I would have thought Crimson by a comfortable margin. They are (along with Yes, and ELP) the true kings of Prog Rock, but unlike those two they really don't have negative aspects that can turn people off. 

Of course as the contest progressed, Floyd was a machine and once they chewed up and spit out Yes, I thought they would win this one. Still might, but still I guess it was fitting to see these two in the final and have it be so damn close
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:07
1 hour left!!! if you haven't voted ...  55 minutes dudes..  your vote counts.  Vote!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:20
Meantime I am watching his BBC "prog rock" documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ThHrXvhrOc
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:26

What they were though, to their enormous credit, were all over the place stylistically.  A very good measure when talking prog.  The only reason this is close is they are against the one group, outside of some of the non-mainstream groups (like TD) that can truly be said to be the originator and complete definer of a branch of progressive music.

Yup, in many ways, KC represent the golden middle of prog.  They are not likely to be considered too crossover/mainstream as some may feel about Floyd, nor are they so inaccessible as to get too few fans either.  Symph prog, metal-based improv, math, they've got all bases covered.  They may not be every proghead's favourite prog rock band but many progheads like at least one or two of their albums, if not more.  They don't easily polarise listeners, unlike say ELP/Gentle Giant.  One can argue it's not a 'they', rather just one constant figure working with a multitude of line ups but whatever.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 07:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yup, in many ways, KC represent the golden middle of prog.  They are not likely to be considered too crossover/mainstream as some may feel about Floyd, nor are they so inaccessible as to get too few fans either.  Symph prog, metal-based improv, math, they've got all bases covered.  They may not be every proghead's favourite prog rock band but many progheads like at least one or two of their albums, if not more.  They don't easily polarise listeners, unlike say ELP/Gentle Giant.  One can argue it's not a 'they', rather just one constant figure working with a multitude of line ups but whatever.  

oh yeah. Well said.

oh definitely. K.C. was Fripp and a revolving cast of musicians. I think I made that quip earlier in the thread.

Now Fripp would be my favorite to win the PA's Battle of the Prog Personalities contest.  Early vegas odds would have him as a 10.5 favorite over.. hmm... yeah.. Roger Waters.  No coincidence there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>