FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 06:24
Originally posted by sir_fragalot sir_fragalot wrote:

My one friend was raving about progressive music and he gave me a dream theater and ayreon album. Now I want to get everyone I know into prog, lol.
Great, you could start by showing them anything but DT LOL

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

miracle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2009 at 10:55
I was born in 1979, at that time there almost no west music in my country (China was closed to the world then,similar to today's North Korea).

When I was 10-15, the west music  to me is Carpenters' yesterday once more, richard marx's right here waiting...I guess you know what I meanSmile.

After entering the university, the 1st time I can touch west music in CD format, at that time we learnt music from saw-cut or drill cassate & CDs, The most famous is Beatles, whose saw-cut cassate worhty US$20 plus, a bit crazy but true.

Some people are self-taught by these cassate and CDs, who lately became reviewers, one program called"blues in the night" was broadcasted once a week, introduce some really good music.(I went crazy when I firstly heard Nico's voice and Eric Dolphy's flute).

My first met prog band shall be Pink Floyd, I bough a complte set of their album at the price about US$100( factory sealed, genuine) and I love these guys(especially Waters' period).

My taste for prog stop for almost 4-5 years (during the time I mainly listen to Post-rock,Electritric & Jazz, and apent lots of time to watch movie, if Kraut is prog, I listened to some Germany bands at that time, kraftwerk, can, amon duul, agitiation free, etc).

I began to mainly  listen to prog  at the year 2008, because of  the great King Crimson, and I found this site, which drive me to listen more....

The newest found is LIGHTSHIRE from Germany, although only won 3.6 stars at this site, however, in my opion, their only album FEELING is one of the best Kraut rock album ever made and I highly recommend.

So, thanks so much for the guy(s) who built this site, really appreciated,
If only I can see through the future..
bartje View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2009 at 17:01
It could have been me writing your blog - so good to know I am not alone -thanks for your thoughts - also remember Yes -   'Fragile' -'Close to the Edge'   etc we have so much to share cherish and remember about that wonderfully  musical era- love and unity  best  Bart  d.o.b. 1954
DRACCA View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2009 at 10:51
I was about 15 years old and my cousin played "In The Wake Of Posiedon" by King Crimson. He also played Frank Zappa-Absolutely Free. I went out 2 weeks later and bought Lizard, ITCOTCK, and Islands. I purchased The Big Ball which was from a series of variety albums that were available through mail order on the inner sleeve of most warner bros record purchases. This was how I discovered that Fleetwood Mac were a straight up underground blues band, Beaver&Krause were pioneers of the electronic music scene, Wild Man Fischer, Gto's were signed by Zappa etc; There was some garbage on the album as well but it introduced me to more of a wide spectrum of music where as the record stores were limited to carry such artists. Unless you could find a Mom and Pop shop that specialized in imports, you were screwed.

Of course mail order from Mr. Brian Gatland in England seemed a good alternative to record store shopping. But when I received Earthbound I was put out a bit. I tried to compare it to the sound of a toilet flushing. It seemed pretty comparable. I then discovered David Bedford and Mike Oldfield and they were very spacey at the time. This all happened between 1972 and 1974. Meanwhile back in my hometown where a person had to climb up a telephone poll to answer their calls, the usual social engagement began. Hey dude! This isn't music! Some kids were open to ELP and Yes which was refreshing. I was in South Jersey however. The prog hate capital of the world it seemed.

I left for the road in 1976 and by 1979 I was on the same circuit as Happy The Man. I picked up their first album and Crafty Hands. In 1980 Wayside Music was born and my pay check went to them and Third Street Jazz and Rock in Phiadelphia P.A. There was also Greenworld on the west coast with the great Archie Patterson and Marty from Jem Records in South and North Plainfield N.J. They both specialized in krautrock imports and my favorite music was now being distributed through pioneer vendors.

It was very difficult to sought after prog titles as you can imagine with no internet.In 1974 I missed my only chance to see King Crimson in Asbury Park. I was deeply depressed so I bought a bottle of wine, listened to Gong and threw Grand Funk Railroad albums into a bonfire.

In 1981 I was on the road again and Steve Hackett was booked one week ahead of us in celebrity clubs and theatres. He cancelled the Brandywine gig in P.A. Then it seemed he headed for England. At that time the music scene in the mainstream media world was changing before my eyes. Prog really became a very private source for many. I use to think: Why can't these artists get decent exposure. I was stupied to ponder over such an issue. Thank God for the most part, they didn't. I am now more than thankful they stayed on the underground. My personal display of idiosyncrasy during my youthful prog days proved nothing. Even though my rebellion against the music business seemed justified in those years it now identifies with no one in particular due to the amount of prog rock history that has since been deleted from the publication industry in general.
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 06:17
^ I like this guy.

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:14
I got really into psychedelic rock from blues music, and prog rock was just a natural progression from there.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

^ I like this guy.

Yeah. Haven't Miracle, Bartje, and Draxcca shared some wonderful stories with us?ClapClapClapClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 08:14
My mom listens to prog so I grew up with it. Once when I was like 7 years or something a friend asked me what's my favourite bands and said Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater, and he just went 'what?'.Big smile
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 09:04
......in the land of grey and pink.....
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 09:24
For me, it was slow growing. I listened to Pink Floyd a lot, and got into Yes through Owner of a Lonely Heart. I actually bought a lot of Yes records, including Close to the Edge, Relayer, and Tales from Topographic Oceans, but I just wasn't sure how to understand the long form songs. I was not at the point where I considered listening to music as something that required active participation, so while I thought they were neat (Relayer especially always had me thinking it was the work of a genius) I could not grasp them.

I noticed a few bands I liked being labelled as prog, such as Supertramp, Genesis, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and a friend showed me King Crimson, which I enjoyed but could never find in the record stores. Then one year, I got The Yes Album, and I had matured musically enough by then to pay enough attention to realise why it was awesome, and it was a bit more digestible then the twenty minute stuff. Later in the year, I found Fragile, and picked that up. Even though most of the songs were on Live at Montreux 2003, which I had loved, they sounded so good on the album, and the way that the album was lined up, it was pretty much the only CD I listened to for a month, and I started listening to all my other Yes records with it. I started to notice things in them I hadn't before, and I was constantly thinking to myself, whenever I would think about my next musical acquisition, it would have to b something like Yes. There had to be more music that good.

I knew that older Genesis albums were considered prog, so I went in search of those, and picked up Wind and Wuthering, as it was the only one my record store had. Due to crappy selection, for the most part, my prog fix came from my Yes music, Wind and Wuthering, In the Court of the Crimson King, Demons and Wizards, and some random Rush records, until I finally got approved for a credit card. Still starving for more of this music, and now suddenly with access to amazon, my collection grew MUCH faster. I discovered progarchives this May and have been discovering even more new bands since then.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 10:42
For me, I got it from a friend and family. My brother showed me the Beatles and Pink Floyd, then my friend got me into DT, Spocks Beard, and all that other good stuff.
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 10:48
My brother show me the Awake album, THE Awake album from DT and that was it really... funny that my brother don't listen to DT... didn't like their heavy sound, but for me it was really everything that I've dream of and never found... so I start digging, and now I enjoy  Prog metal and neo-prog a lot more than the classics... but enjoy most of the prog... DT was the inception...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 10:50
I love the harder stuff but The Flower Kings are still awesome

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 11:08
I heard Les Claypool's Frog Brigade's cover of Thela Hun Ginjeet on their first live disc and had to discover the band behind the song, and from King Crimson I branched out every which way.
Gillywibble View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 17:16
My brother bought Gong's Angels Egg and You on Vinyl when I was 13. To this day I don't really know why because he's not much of a musical person but it certainly set me on the right path.

I didn't immediately give them massive attention as all my friend's were into DC and Maiden, so I joined the metal crowd while they sat quietly (but admired) in the background until my late teens at which point I was getting heavily into the Floyd as well.

I didn't actually know I was such a progressive music fan until I joined last.fm when my stats revealed all. It's not something I really thought about. Now I realise that about 98% of the music I absolutely love is prog, hence why I'm here Cool
There is in fact more earth than sea.

http://www.last.fm/user/Gillywibble
meatal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 19:55
Back in 1985/86, I was a metal head teenager just starting to really get into guitar. I met a drummer (in high school) who played methe first King Crimson song I'd ever heard "Industry/Dig Me"  (on cassette), which opened up a whole new world of music to me far beyond just Metal.
The bitter harvest of a barren land, I'm painting pictures you don't understand.
(Fates Warning)
Awake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2009 at 21:11
Definitely Pink Floyd... my brother was a huge Floyd fan and I first got into them thanks to him. I didn't listen to that much prog for awhile until a few months ago I started to get back into it more and start to listen to other progressive rock 
zee View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 19:52
Never ever been interested in Rock music or 'bands'. Had been into electronic music since i was 15 and thought everyone else were 'moshers'. Im 30 now and about 6 months ago I downloaded Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here. That was it...... i now have a couple of hundred albums... AND I LOVE PROG ITS THE BEST MUSIC EEVVEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
The Block View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 20:06
I would have to agree.Big smileClapClapClap
                                                                Clap
                                                                       Clap
                                                                                Clap

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2009 at 20:32
Dad had old Pink Floyd, Who and Jethro Tull records. They were way more interesting than what I hearing on the radio growing up in the 80's.

This question keeps reminding me of "How did you find God?" and for some it's about the same thing ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>