Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 06:38
now the discussion has turned into US prog vs UK prog? Disapprove

I'll be the party pooper here and simply ask - what am I supposed to do with this thread? there is no question asked. So the thread creator likes old prog more than the new one. OK. Good for him.
Am i supposed to agree or disagree? should I explain which one I like more?
No question is asked in the original post.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 06:59
Hmm... Like many of the Beatles songs written by Paul McCartney, Penny Lane owes a lot of its musical heritage with (predominately Anglican) hymns and that is reflected in lyrical structure (verse-heavy with the chorus used as a refrain) and musical harmonies though I don't think Penny Lane features the Amen cadence that you get in other hymn-like Beatles songs like Yesterday. Add into this the triplet embellishments over the standard 4/4 beat and the very non-classical trumpet solo and the piece becomes nothing more than the sum of its parts. This does not make it Progressive Rock by any stretch of the imagination because other British "beat" groups also drew on this Anglican hymnody (such as the Stones, Procol Harum, The Move and The Animals), either as a result of the Beatles influence, though more likely as a result of their own musical education (i.e. singing hymns in church and school assemblies). Note: this is not the same as gospel music, which is in itself a development out of Anglican hymnody.

While we often quote Jazz, Classical and Eastern music as being formative to development of Progressive Rock those predominantly non-British influences do not explain the uniquely British flavour of Progressive Rock that emerged in the UK during the late sixties. Similarly, the inclusion of British Folk traditions into the mix do not meld all those disparate influences together enough to produce that quintessential Englishness that we hear in early Floyd, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson (and Procol Harum and The Moody Blues too). The one common mode of music that we often overlook in that analysis are effect of Anglican hymns on that musical fusion, yet it is present in many of those band's compositions (and it has to be said, Queen too whose anthemic rock is very hymn-like). 

It is this that separates British Progressive Rock that emerged in the late 1960s from music that can perhaps be called Progressive Rock that came out of the US at the same time. Anything that followed after that picked up on this hymnal influence in British Prog and was thus influenced by it, however over time this has become a lot more diluted and "lost in the mix" simply because no one noticed it was there (to the extent that it has practically vanished from contemporary Prog).

This is why, some 48 years later, Penny Lane sounds like Prog Rock even though it lacks so many of the characteristic traits that we associate with Prog.
What?
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:10
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Hmm... Like many of the Beatles songs written by Paul McCartney, Penny Lane owes a lot of its musical heritage with (predominately Anglican) hymns and that is reflected in lyrical structure (verse-heavy with the chorus used as a refrain) and musical harmonies though I don't think Penny Lane features the Amen cadence that you get in other hymn-like Beatles songs like Yesterday. Add into this the triplet embellishments over the standard 4/4 beat and the very non-classical trumpet solo and the piece becomes nothing more than the sum of its parts. This does not make it Progressive Rock by any stretch of the imagination because other British "beat" groups also drew on this Anglican hymnody (such as the Stones, Procol Harum, The Move and The Animals), either as a result of the Beatles influence, though more likely as a result of their own musical education (i.e. singing hymns in church and school assemblies). Note: this is not the same as gospel music, which is in itself a development out of Anglican hymnody.

While we often quote Jazz, Classical and Eastern music as being formative to development of Progressive Rock those predominantly non-British influences do not explain the uniquely British flavour of Progressive Rock that emerged in the UK during the late sixties. Similarly, the inclusion of British Folk traditions into the mix do not meld all those disparate influences together enough to produce that quintessential Englishness that we hear in early Floyd, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson (and Procol Harum and The Moody Blues too). The one common mode of music that we often overlook in that analysis are effect of Anglican hymns on that musical fusion, yet it is present in many of those band's compositions (and it has to be said, Queen too whose anthemic rock is very hymn-like). 

It is this that separates British Progressive Rock that emerged in the late 1960s from music that can perhaps be called Progressive Rock that came out of the US at the same time. Anything that followed after that picked up on this hymnal influence in British Prog and was thus influenced by it, however over time this has become a lot more diluted and "lost in the mix" simply because no one noticed it was there (to the extent that it has practically vanished from contemporary Prog).

This is why, some 48 years later, Penny Lane sounds like Prog Rock even though it lacks so many of the characteristic traits that we associate with Prog.
Great explanation indeed!
 What about Strawberry Fields Forever, another A side of the single?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:18
^ Welcome on Forum, comrade Shamal!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:21
Cheers Svetonio!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:29
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

There are many tracks that can be called prog that wouldn't launch a new genre by themselves, because you'd say "this is psyche inventive classic oriented" this or that. Then there would be THE first one that'd have you say "now this clearly defines a new genre" (for many, me included, ITCOTCK would be it).
In the Court of the Crimson King is great without a doubt, but there was e.g. Music In A Doll's House  the album by English band Family released in 1968.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:33
Music In A Doll's House is a nice LP too.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - February 02 2015 at 07:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:41
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

This is, by contrast, a John Lennon composition and the early versions of the song that John wrote in Spain probably reveal some of the hymnal heritage I spoke of, Strawberry Fields was a Salvation Army orphanage after all. While the song began life as a verse-oriented hymn-like song the final recorded version follows a fairly standard verse-chorus structure, yet that structure is very complex (it's the song that cause so much dismay to Brian Wilson during the Smile sessions) ... you can read an in-depth analysis of the songs structure here

In fact, it is two versions of the song skillfully welded together by George Martin (as I oft describe Close To The Edge - like a car-crash), resulting in a three minute song with a one minute ending (as opposed to T Rex's Hot Love, which is a one minute song with a four minute ending LOL). While it isn't Prog, it's certainly a very influential piece of Proto-Prog.

Edited by Dean - February 02 2015 at 07:43
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

There are many tracks that can be called prog that wouldn't launch a new genre by themselves, because you'd say "this is psyche inventive classic oriented" this or that. Then there would be THE first one that'd have you say "now this clearly defines a new genre" (for many, me included, ITCOTCK would be it).
In the Court of the Crimson King is great without a doubt, but there was e.g. Music In A Doll's House  the album by English band Family released in 1968.
While we disagree on so many things, this is one thing I can agree on. Wink
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:47

I don't think that the term even existed at the time when Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane the single was released. However, I don't listening to that ancient but timeless single through Bilboard single charts nor wiki, I listening to THE single with my own ears and I hear PROG ("Crossover Prog" if you like).

Which is my point, thank you.  It's not about how each person got exposed to Penny Lane for the first time.  From the outset, I never said Penny Lane doesn't have certain progressive qualities.  Only that to call it prog rock is a stretch.  And it's not because of any bias or prejudice as you seem to believe that it didn't get called prog, it's simply that it's first and foremost a pop song, just a very interesting one.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

This is, by contrast, a John Lennon composition and the early versions of the song that John wrote in Spain probably reveal some of the hymnal heritage I spoke of, Strawberry Fields was a Salvation Army orphanage after all. While the song began life as a verse-oriented hymn-like song the final recorded version follows a fairly standard verse-chorus structure, yet that structure is very complex (it's the song that cause so much dismay to Brian Wilson during the Smile sessions) ... you can read an in-depth analysis of the songs structure here

In fact, it is two versions of the song skillfully welded together by George Martin (as I oft describe Close To The Edge - like a car-crash), resulting in a three minute song with a one minute ending (as opposed to T Rex's Hot Love, which is a one minute song with a four minute ending LOL). While it isn't Prog, it's certainly a very influential piece of Proto-Prog.
Thank you very much.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 09:06

Hi,

Just recently, there was an article on "The Oregonian", about a guy in Portland that has a major studio and he records folks directly to a "disk", in the old LP style. The article, was actually very nice, and well meaning, but in the end, it was nothing but a selling point for LP's and their superior ability for whatever reasons one could find and come up with.

While there are reasons why the analog recording might be superior to the digital recording, or vice versa, there was one thing that the article never discussed or touched. The individual piece of music or the artist himself/herself ... that will never change and their creativity will not die ... regardless of how it is recorded!!!!!

I sent an email to the gentleman about this, and of course, a month later, it's still being ignored. it just shows how "commercial" his work is, and how much he is incapable of discussing a reality that he fears could hurt his business!

NOW, about this thread and topic ... if this is about the recording (hasn't been -- thank Gawdddd!!!), this discussion would be boring, except for Dean's exceptional details about the scientific side of it all! BUT, if this is about PERSONAL TASTES, then, where it comes from and it sounds like ... is something that us music writers like to spend our time studying and sometimes mentioning in different areas. It's not secret to me, how much of the "hymn" and "folk" traditions in the Brittish Isles came alive in the Progressive Rock music in that area. It's more of a "secret" how the folk-rock and other folk elements in those isles are not considered even more progressive, than the rock music ever was, which is a shame ... these folk traditions are insane in their variations and styles, and there is nothing to compare it to in that area.  AS an European, it is no secret to me how much classical music influenced the Italian Progressive Music scene. Likewise in America, how the "Blues" and "Jazz" came to influence it as well ... which, btw, is "black music history" in America ... which would give our discussion yet another point of view that is very difficult to trace on a piece of paper!

For "Progressive" music to make a stand, and come up in the annals and history of music, and not be regarded as just another overblown pop song, these are the discussions that are necessary, and the one "scene" that is very well defined, believe it or not, will always be "krautrock", because it came out of a couple of music schools, and was not, necessarily, just another social or psychological event -- when much of Europe, England and America were severely affected by the Vietnam war protests, which became an excuse for change in America, and resulted in a lot of un-necessary and brutal confrontations -- which were described musically by many of our favorite musicians in all of these countries ... much of which is considered to have helped give rise to a lot of this music, because of the "depth" of the feelings, which were decidedly more than most "pop musiK".

Is today better than yesterday? Or vice versa?

NO.

People are people, and creativity was there before and is here today!

Do you PREFER yesterday or today, is a completely different discussion, since some folks like the ELP loudness assaults on organ and synth, but hate the loud guitar on a DT or other band! What's the difference? None for me ... it's all "interpretation" of their themes and ideals and visions.

AND, most importantly, we are all becoming the "historians" that are helping define an element that started out of the social and popular medium, whereas most "arts" were always defined by the upper class that frequented those things. THIS, in itself, is one of the biggest changes in the arts in the 20th century and will change the definitions of all arts forever!

YOU, are doing this music a favor ... as is someone like DEAN by seeing those links ... and thanks for mentioning it. makes me proud ... we're not wasting our time in this life!

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2015 at 09:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 10:22
[QUOTE=Davesax1965](Oh dear, stirring the pot here !! )

Hi folks, and now !! A thread where I tell you why - for me - old prog is better than new prog. Really simple reason....
Association.
/QUOTE]

That's a shame because you're missing all the brilliant Prog coming out of Poland.......now!
Live Long and Prosper
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 10:29

there was e.g. Music In A Doll's House  the album by English band Family released in 1968.

I was ready to reconsider my point, but I'd say Touch's Touch (Don Gallucci & co)  is more prog than this Family album, and both of them don't  "divorce" from genres back then, like ITCOTCK.

Maybe another album ?

Strawberry Fields's a major reference
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:34

there was e.g. Music In A Doll's House  the album by English band Family released in 1968.

I was ready to reconsider my point, but I'd say Touch's Touch (Don Gallucci & co)  is more prog than this Family album, and both of them don't  "divorce" from genres back then, like ITCOTCK.

Maybe another album ?

Strawberry Fields's a major reference
Oh, I have to think a lot about the answer, it is THE question!
In the meantime, do you agree that Music In A Doll's House the album artwork is slightly better then Touch's Touch's wild one?

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:13
KkhrmffflLOL!

"Mom I swear it's not the reason why I enjoy them"...

I forgot to listen to it with that picture in mind...It must feel "different" LOL

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:46
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

NO.

Do you PREFER yesterday or today, is a completely different discussion.

This is not necessarily a valid argument. Things, even creative ones, can be better or worse in different places or epochs, and saying so must not be considered a sin (I mean talking in general of course, not about particular individuals).

Carpenters were much better decades, perhaps even centuries ago than modern carpenters, you rarely find a carpenter today which can sculpt the amazing carvings or furniture which were commonplace in wealthy mansions from 1 or 2 centuries ago.

Or many would say that (in terms of quality, surely not quantity), painters from the Romantic period were better than modern painters, or that composers from the Baroque period were better than modern classical music composers.

Evolution of culture and technology can result in some skills becoming rare (probably replaced by others, but which are not the same).

I will not make an argument towards either Classic or Modern Prog here, I just want to point that your argument is not valid per se, it is perfectly possible for today being better than yesterday or the opposite, even if we talk about creative activities such as creating music.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:55
'Touch' is a perfect example for me of old prog/psych /proto prog... whatever you want to call it .....that evokes memories and associations. I can recall buying it in the fall of 1970 on vinyl of course...about 2 years after it was first recorded. Many ..many.. memories of playing that one late at night in my apartment at college while we were all in an altered state of consciousness.

Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 14:25
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

NO.

This is not necessarily a valid argument. Things, even creative ones, can be better or worse in different places or epochs, and saying so must not be considered a sin (I mean talking in general of course, not about particular individuals).

Carpenters were much better decades, perhaps even centuries ago than modern carpenters, you rarely find a carpenter today which can sculpt the amazing carvings or furniture which were commonplace in wealthy mansions from 1 or 2 centuries ago.

Or many would say that (in terms of quality, surely not quantity), painters from the Romantic period were better than modern painters, or that composers from the Baroque period were better than modern classical music composers.

Evolution of culture and technology can result in some skills becoming rare (probably replaced by others, but which are not the same).

I will not make an argument towards either Classic or Modern Prog here, I just want to point that your argument is not valid per se, it is perfectly possible for today being better than yesterday or the opposite, even if we talk about creative activities such as creating music.

I think it becomes a very valid argument if we add the fact that art is part of the culture and the mentality of a certain time and place. Isn't it wrong to judge older art by modern standards?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 14:32
Originally posted by 'PiphanyRambler 'PiphanyRambler wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

NO.

I think it becomes a very valid argument if we add the fact that art is part of the culture and the mentality of a certain time and place. Isn't it wrong to judge older art by modern standards?

heck ... we should really say "comparing Apples to Oranges" ... it was a different time and place! They did the best with their tools, and we do the best with our tools.

Btw, the better side is a very BAD representation, since 1,000 years ago, a carpenter only had to make 3 or 4 of something, which would give him/her a lot more time to do so, than today, when things have a tendency to be more commercially minded for a market, and the INDIVIDUALITY goes away ... when you are saying that they are not better today, you would be incorrect, and are not aware of other cultures in Europe and other places in Africa and latin America, where some individuality still exists in a "carpenter", because he is only doing it for his family and not to sell on the internet for your pleasure.

Please, Gerinski, refine your ideas, because yesterday and today is not a good comparison at all ... think of it like this ... it rained yesterday ... it's sunny today ... but the carpentry is still there!

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2015 at 14:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>