Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 15:01
I     really      dont      know      whats        going        on. my computer it             tells  me things         it   shows      methings                 it tells me to prog        night and day            it          shows me things Colors ,Colors Colors. How many times have you played the random stream player for a particular progist? To the Progressive Nation. The United Archives Of Progressive States      Planet Earth.com
And first of all when Jim Morrison sang light my fire. WE GOT LIT. (I was 11) What a holy blast that song was remember?

assume the power 1586/14.3
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2009 at 15:03
I     really      dont      know      whats        going        on. my computer it             tells  me things         it   shows      methings                 it tells me to prog        night and day            it          shows me things Colors ,Colors Colors. How many times have you played the random stream player for a particular progist? To the Progressive Nation. The United Archives Of Progressive States      Planet Earth.com
And first of all when Jim Morrison sang light my fire. WE GOT LIT. (I was 11) What a holy blast that song was remember?

Jet Wesley View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 19:51
I think it was my immature relationship with the wonderful sounds of Dream Theater that spurred me onto prog originally.  I think i started to appreciate it properly when i was 17, and this led to loads of other bands.  Randomly, i discovered Marillion in South Africa, and just completely went mental for the band! I watched a few Marillion dvd's and the rest is history.
www.motiontheoryband.com
deckard9 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2009 at 08:55
Mates and was around at the beginning
AgentSpork View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 18:47
I'm gonna have to pin this one on my father primarily. I grew up being force-fed bands like Yes, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson, and Tangerine Dream. It didn't really hit me until I actually started to develop some musical sensibility around 17 or 18. I was generally disgusted with the repetitive and boring nature of most mainstream rock, so I eventually went back to some of these more interesting bands that my dad listened to and developed my tastes from there. While it's true that I do share a lot in common with my dad's musical taste, but there's also some significant differences between us as well. For instance, I'm not a particularly huge fan of Yes... though I can certainly see why he and so many others put them in such high regard.

I've always been astounded by how versatile progressive rock can be, and continue to be on a regular basis. That does, however, exclude a lot of the so-called "progressive" bands you see pop up every now and then that sound like they're trying to relive the 70s era of progressive rock rather than... you know... progressing further. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Edited by AgentSpork - December 09 2009 at 18:50
mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2009 at 19:00
In a nook
halabalushindigus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 01:29
Not necessarily a "progressive" musical moment, but nonetheless a major experience of feeling and open-breathing spelling of tonality with a great impact and made me stand there and shudder was when I heard a certain album for the first time in my room with my buddy. We were 17 . And when the album finished, my buddy said "well I bet your'e not gonna play that album again" O' Contrere Monfrerre. I absolutely loved it especially the ending:

A great saxophone solo by Clarence Clemons on the track "Jungleland"  by Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band from the Tenacious and moving landmark album "Born To Run" I kid you not I would listen to that part of the song and pretend I was on stage belting away on the sax, somewhere local where all my friends could see meBig smile and thats the whole point of any thing that is Progressive. To be able to dream and pretend that we can or could be like that, to be able to play like these artists that we hear. Having that fascination in your mind as you listen to that movement in your head.    I"m going to Prog now on THE DADDY musical stream
 of all Streams
Here's a clue:    It Lies with me cried The Queen Of Maybe

antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2009 at 04:24
i was grown up with pink floyd, queen, led zeppelin, deep purple and black sabbath becouse i have 3 older brother and they listen music all the time...but the Prog.rock issue is different, one of my friend gave me mix cassette 18 years ago, there was one song from prog.rock genre and that was eloy - up and down...that day i meet with prog.rock. than i bought Eloy - Ocean album first than yes - close to the edge, king crimson - island, grobschnitt - rockpommels land...etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718