Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do the Beatles get too much credit..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
Poll Question: See opening post for question.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
48 [32.88%]
95 [65.07%]
3 [2.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 13:30
Originally posted by Barking Weasel Barking Weasel wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-entertainment/music/2009/10/30/ex-genesis-guitarist-steve-hackett-recalls-hearing-john-lennon-say-he-loved-them-100252-25047932/

Ahhh...I will fully admit, you have hit the mushiest part of my soul dead-on Embarrassed.  Perhaps you scrolled through my Genesis reviews, noting that I gave 4-5 star ratings for every album from the Peter Gabriel era, including "Trespass?"  That was a good tactic, appealing to my love of that band. Heart  Well-played; you are a cruel apologist for the Beatles, indeed. Clap
No, that was purely random. In the course of browsing info for this thread I happened upon several testimonials like that, this one was just the most recent in my browser history and seemed adequate as a response to your Zappa video. I don't believe I am an apologist, I'm not defending The Beatles, that it appears as I am is a natural consequence of answering some of your comments which I happen to find inaccurate or simply wrong. I am not a Beatles fan, just like Strummer I got over that when I was 10 or 11 - I own 2 Beatles albums and 1 EP, and one of those albums I don't like a great deal, but I do recognise its importance in the development of modern music as we know it. Whether music would have developed with or without it is impossible to answer, the reality is the album existed and music changed.

Despite this, my earlier point still stands.  Not every major progressive-rock band or composer thought highly of the Beatles, or found them to be influential to their own music.  Not every music artist was in love with them, or cited them directly.  There still remains a discrepancy between the popular view of their influence, and their actual influence on widely respected music artists in the progressive rock genre.
Your point is specious at best, futile misdirection at worse. Collating lists of artists influenced or not influenced by The Beatles isn't a way of proving any point of value, no one is claiming that they are liked by or influenced every single artist, that would be just plain dumb. Any discrepancy you see between the popular view and the actual view has yet to be stated in any meaningful way, every emotional "example" you have put forward so far has been refuted by documented evidence or dismissed as not relevant (clothes, action figures, Brian May's guitar, etc.)

Unfortunately (for you) citing artists who where influenced by The Stones or The Beach Boys is making indirect reference to The Beatles because those two bands were affected by the mere existence of The Beatles in the 60s. The rivalry between those two bands and The Beatles is legendary - as is their mutual respect for each other. (you might like to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson)

I have finished an earlier rebuttal to the Goodall documentary, but I hesitate to post it in this forum because I am highly critical of the documentary; also, my summary contains many tongue-in-cheek elements, and I think most people were not expecting that from this discussion.  I may reconsider later though, so it may or may not appear.  The final summary is two pages long, so the post may also be ridiculously long. 
You do need to seperate the serious from the tongue-in-cheek, and even post them seperately if necessary because what is evidently tongue-in-cheek to you could be taken seriously by me or anyone else unless you clearly telegraph which is which. But keep the tongue-in-cheek - I like humour and can be as silly as the next man.

I'll conclude this post by saying that I am not entirely sure why there was such a huge outcry to my earlier statements.
I did not respond to your earlier statements as they were little more than emotional opinion and I seldom comment on that kind of post - people have opinions, I respect that (or see little point in arguing against it). I responded to the later posts that contained inaccuracies that made them contentious in my estimation, my replies to your posts have merely been attempts to counter those inaccuracies. Your initial posts read like you hold that they were not influential because you don't like them, not a stance I would encourage and not one I would get involved in refuting, that such comments create outcry doesn't surprise me and shouldn't surprise you.

People openly trash my favorite bands relentlessly to my face and in critical circles, but I don't get in a hissy fit about it, since to me listening to music should be about the personal reward and not the external reward from society.  I say, if you need a critic or social network to validate your chosen band for you, than perhaps you are listening to that band for the wrong reasons.
I can go along with that, however, the posts I have made are not a defense of a favourite band (because they are not) nor have I cited critical or expert analysis just to validate my chosen band (because they are not my chosen band). I don't understand the social network comment, but I doubt it's important that I should.

Over and over, I hear Beatles fans talk about this critic, and that critic who sing praises to their favorite group.  Why not just enjoy the music for its own sake and inherent value, instead of dissecting and pontificating on each individual element like Goodall does? 
I'm not a fan, (have I said this yet?). You said: "all they did was write uncomplicated pop songs" - my posting of the song analysis by Goodall, Allan W. Pollack etc. was to show that their apparently uncomplicated pop songs were far more complex than they first appear.

To me, the Beatles catalog represents a segment of popular music that is impersonal, pretentiously analyzed, and overly-laden with cultural significance. 
So? I fail to see your point here.

When I listen to the Beatles, I find that all I can really hear is the cultural behemoth of "greatest rock band in the world," and not the creative force that by all accounts, I should be hearing.  In the end, the music suffers as a result. 
If you can hear any direct influences then you're listening to a tribute band. A band's influence and importance is not necessarily measured by how much you can hear them in other bands, for example Crimson's influence on the development of Progressive Rock is not measured by how much you can hear Crimson in later bands but by the impact their releases had on music produced after.
What?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:21
Earlier in this topic, I compared the Beatles to a modern-day boy band/singer.  While the Beatles were certainly more innovative in the studio, and wrote all of their own songs on later albums (unlike many boy bands of today), the methods in which they have each been marketed are actually quite eerily similar.  Here is a cover from 1965 out of a Beatles fan magazine, contrasted with a Justin Bieber cover from 2010.  Even the hairstyles are practically the same:

(For some reason, the above Beatles cover photo keeps getting removed from my post.  Here is a link for it: http://www.mybeatles.net/imagesmedia/star_time.jpg.  I originally discovered this image in the book, How The Beatles Destroyed Rock & Roll by Elijah Wald, which I am finding to be an interesting and informative alternative view of rock history.  Despite its title, it does not specifically set out to slander the Beatles.  It takes a broader view of rock music as a whole).

Edited by Barking Weasel - April 30 2011 at 17:54
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:18
Stern Smile I'm out.
What?
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:20
^BW, you take my breath away, you really do. Comparing marketing strategies simply shows that marketing people still know how to make money. It says nothing about what is being marketed. I'll allow maybe 18 months, two years tops at the beginning of their recorded career when the Beatles might be considered by a harsh critic not as much more than a 'boy band', but after that, as they took over control of their musical destinies, they became THE game-changers in the world of popular music. They were never my favourite band - I often liked the covers of their songs better than the originals - but the Beatles were the spear-tip of a change that gave integrity, depth and power to the rather shallow world of pop. Factories like the Brill building and Tin Pan Alley began to lose their grip on kids' minds as the Beatles stretched our imaginations. I'm not sure I've heard an even remotely convincing argument to counter this.

Edited by russellk - April 30 2011 at 17:21
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 18:26

Earlier in this topic, I compared the Beatles to a modern-day boy band/singer.  While the Beatles were certainly more innovative in the studio, and wrote all of their own songs on later albums (unlike many boy bands of today), the methods in which they have each been marketed are actually quite eerily similar.  Here is a cover from 1965 out of a Beatles fan magazine, contrasted with a Justin Bieber cover from 2010.  Even the hairstyles are practically the same:

(For some reason, the above Beatles cover photo keeps getting removed from my post.  Here is a link for it: http://www.mybeatles.net/imagesmedia/star_time.jpg.  I originally discovered this image in the book, How The Beatles Destroyed Rock & Roll by Elijah Wald, which I am finding to be an interesting and informative alternative view of rock history.  Despite its title, it does not specifically set out to slander the Beatles.  It takes a broader view of rock music as a whole).

Hey look, isn't that Keith Richards trying desperately to look like Justin Bieber in a Rolling Stones monthly fan magazine (produced by Teen Beat, no less)? Wow, and I thought The Rolling Stones were cool. Who knew the supposed bad boys of rock and roll marketed themselves just like The Beatles?

Again, get a clue. Once more your lack of knowledge about the time period is patently obvious.
Your continuing diatribe is tedious, inaccurate, evidently biased and, ultimately, unconvincing. You hate The Beatles, fine. You are clearly in the minority among people with a grasp of music fundamentals and historical perspective.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 18:32
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

^BW, you take my breath away, you really do. Comparing marketing strategies simply shows that marketing people still know how to make money. It says nothing about what is being marketed. I'll allow maybe 18 months, two years tops at the beginning of their recorded career when the Beatles might be considered by a harsh critic not as much more than a 'boy band', but after that, as they took over control of their musical destinies, they became THE game-changers in the world of popular music. They were never my favourite band - I often liked the covers of their songs better than the originals - but the Beatles were the spear-tip of a change that gave integrity, depth and power to the rather shallow world of pop. Factories like the Brill building and Tin Pan Alley began to lose their grip on kids' minds as the Beatles stretched our imaginations. I'm not sure I've heard an even remotely convincing argument to counter this.

What is more telling for me is the similarity in their portrayal, in that they are each described as teen pop idols rather than serious artists.  I was honestly shocked when I first contrasted those two images, so I can understand other readers feeling the same way when they see them placed side-by-side.  The eerie similarities in appearance notwithstanding, the salacious, gossipy tell-all content being advertised is practically identical in both of these magazine covers.  Note: I do not seriously object to salacious content and gossip, and I am not implying that it should be censored; I am just noting that Bieber and the Beatles share very similar characteristics in regard to their public identities and personas when contrasted with one another.

Based on the content of the above magazine, how were the Beatles any more of a "spear tip of change" for artistic integrity than the Monkees? The latter group appears in a 1967 issue from the same magazine:

Clearly, the motives for these tacky appearances were not artistic in nature for either the Beatles or the Monkees.  A band that stoops to this level of media pandering seems an unlikely candidate for "game-changer" in the music industry.  How is this any different than our typical media onslaught of celebrity in the modern age?  In fact, it seems that the Beatles and their celebrity were the natural precursor to Bieber, if the posted magazine images are any indication.   

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 18:46

What is more telling for me is the similarity in their portrayal, in that they are each described as teen pop idols rather than serious artists.  I was honestly shocked when I first contrasted those two images, so I can understand other readers feeling the same way when they see them placed side-by-side.  The eerie similarities in appearance notwithstanding, the salacious, gossipy tell-all content being advertised is practically identical in both of these magazine covers.  Note: I do not seriously object to salacious content and gossip, and I am not implying that it should be censored; I am just noting that Bieber and the Beatles share very similar characteristics in regard to their public identities and personas when contrasted with one another.

Based on the content of the above magazine, how were the Beatles any more of a "spear tip of change" for artistic integrity than the Monkees? The latter group appears in a 1967 issue from the same magazine:

Clearly, the motives for these tacky appearances were not artistic in nature for either the Beatles or the Monkees.  A band that stoops to this level of media pandering seems an unlikely candidate for "game-changer" in the music industry.  How is this any different than our typical media onslaught of celebrity in the modern age?  In fact, it seems that the Beatles and their celebrity were the natural precursor to Bieber, if the posted magazine images are any indication.   

This shows exactly one thing and no more: that marketers usually know nothing about the content of that which they market.

It would help, BW, if you stopped arguing by hyperbole. We've seen it all before - and, it has to be said, more cogently. Take a more moderate position and you might find people a little more receptive.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 19:07
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hey look, isn't that Keith Richards trying desperately to look like Justin Bieber in a Rolling Stones monthly fan magazine (produced by Teen Beat, no less)? Wow, and I thought The Rolling Stones were cool. Who knew the supposed bad boys of rock and roll marketed themselves just like The Beatles?

Again, get a clue. Once more your lack of knowledge about the time period is patently obvious.
Your continuing diatribe is tedious, inaccurate, evidently biased and, ultimately, unconvincing. You hate The Beatles, fine. You are clearly in the minority among people with a grasp of music fundamentals and historical perspective.

Let me clarify, because I did make a mistake in the original post you are referring to.  That image of the Beatles originally appeared in a pop-celebrity magazine, and not specifically a "Beatles fan" magazine as I stated earlier.  The same magazine conducted interviews with the Monkees, a cover of which I have also posted.

There are a few key differences in the Rolling Stones fan magazine and the Beatles cover story.  For starters, there is no advertising for specific content on the front cover of the RS fan magazine you posted.  Secondly, the Rolling Stones image is from a "fan-specific" magazine, and not a generic tabloid like the Bieber and Beatles cover images.  Also, an immediate comparison of the Rolling Stones to the Justin Bieber magazine cover seems far less visually convincing than the Beatles cover that I used.  The Rolling Stones have serious facial expressions, do not smile, have straighter posture, and actually appear to have organized themselves for that photo.  In other words, the RS cover is less of a candid shot than the other magazine covers, which appear to capture their subjects in a more spur-of-the-moment, relaxed composure.

If you find the discussion based upon my posts tedious, you can choose not to participate in it.  I am not forcing you to engage in this forum.  Please, by all means feel free to quit responding and I won't hold it against you.  I feel like this debate is actually good for me though, because I've learned quite a bit from the other posters here, and I've had to check out books from the library on the subject of Frank Zappa and the Beatles so that I can learn more about the context of the claims made about the influence of the Beatles.  So I will continue to argue my case when I have the free time to do so, because I think that there is more to the story.        
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 19:25
This is getting sillier by the minute. How does this have any relevance to the topic of this thread?
What?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 19:32
In no way. However, if things go a bit more in this direction, the Progarchives Member Typology might become enriched with a new entry. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 19:40
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

In no way. However, if things go a bit more in this direction, the Progarchives Member Typology might become enriched with a new entry. 

Embarrassed
LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 20:23

This shows exactly one thing and no more: that marketers usually know nothing about the content of that which they market.

But that does not explain why the Beatles were willing to appear on the cover of that magazine in the first place; thus, they responded in the affirmative to the gossip mill that was promoted by those same marketers. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 21:16

Let me clarify, because I did make a mistake in the original post you are referring to.  That image of the Beatles originally appeared in a pop-celebrity magazine, and not specifically a "Beatles fan" magazine as I stated earlier.  The same magazine conducted interviews with the Monkees, a cover of which I have also posted.

There are a few key differences in the Rolling Stones fan magazine and the Beatles cover story.  For starters, there is no advertising for specific content on the front cover of the RS fan magazine you posted.  Secondly, the Rolling Stones image is from a "fan-specific" magazine, and not a generic tabloid like the Bieber and Beatles cover images.  Also, an immediate comparison of the Rolling Stones to the Justin Bieber magazine cover seems far less visually convincing than the Beatles cover that I used.  The Rolling Stones have serious facial expressions, do not smile, have straighter posture, and actually appear to have organized themselves for that photo.  In other words, the RS cover is less of a candid shot than the other magazine covers, which appear to capture their subjects in a more spur-of-the-moment, relaxed composure.

Everytime you post, you are trumped. Everytime you try to make a point, you end up looking like someone with an irrational hatred but no real factual basis for a conclusion. This is a case in point.

So, you blithely try to argue your way out of your latest lack of historical perspective by pointing out the Stones photo was on a "fan-specific" mag (ignoring the fact that the Stones were using the same marketing techniques as The Beatles -- or the Byrds, Herman's Hermits, The Kinks, The Monkees and nearly every other popular band from the 70s. Alright, here's some more for you:

Oooooo Mick! You're so Byronic brooding there with that pouty lip...

What the...Why has Mick got a bigger picture than John Lennon on a teen magazine? I am definitely against the Stones now! Please notice that even Bob Dylan was a subject in teen magazines at the time.

OMG!!!! The Byrds against the Stones!!! Who will win?

Stop. Just stop. As I stated previously, you neither know the time period we are discussing, nor do you have any historical perspective on The Beatles. Perhaps you should read the books you got from the library before continuing to debate a subject where you have more personal animosity than actual material to back your supercilious and downright fallacious attacks.

If you'd care for staged shots of The Stones, I can supply them. Here's another thing you are obviously not aware of: The Stones were marketed as the anti-Beatles, so they will often appear as opposites in photos. It was all record label hype. Also notice that after awhile The Stones became so desperate that they began issuing albums and songs in direct answer to The Beatles latest triumphs...imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:44

But that does not explain why the Beatles were willing to appear on the cover of that magazine in the first place; thus, they responded in the affirmative to the gossip mill that was promoted by those same marketers. 

Two words: contractual obligation.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 01:09

If you'd care for staged shots of The Stones, I can supply them. Here's another thing you are obviously not aware of: The Stones were marketed as the anti-Beatles, so they will often appear as opposites in photos. It was all record label hype. Also notice that after awhile The Stones became so desperate that they began issuing albums and songs in direct answer to The Beatles latest triumphs...imitation being the sincerest form of flattery.

None of this is new information to me, I am not a huge Stones fan myself so I could really care less about their influence, except as it pertains to favorite artists of mine like Rush and Frank Zappa. 

At this point, in light of the points you have raised (which I have to agree, are quite valid in their own right) I am done wasting your time and mine.  This back-and-forth dialogue with the admins has become insane, and I am sure that you and everyone else involved have better things to occupy your time with than this pseudo-debate, which is not going anywhere productive as far as I can see.  I am sorry to have dragged this out so long, it was obviously a sensitive issue for many folks, and the idea of even questioning the Beatles influence is on par with desecration of the Dome of the Rock for many.  I personally don't share that view, but hey, it is a public forum, I won't operate under the assumption that my interpretation of history is universal truth.

I will not post the Goodall rebuttal, and I will edit my older posts to make sure that they conform to the guidelines set forth by ProgArchives.  Clearly, on matters relating to the Beatles a reasoned debate in a public forum is not possible.  I have seen this occur on other forums and websites, and was seriously hoping for a better response.  Clearly, I was out of line for having that expectation.   
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resurrection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 01:41
pseudo debate - well you said it. And yes, you are miles out of line, a frustrating lack of historical perspective. You're either incredibly insular or being deliberately provocative. Your choice of name makes either possible.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 04:24

None of this is new information to me, I am not a huge Stones fan myself so I could really care less about their influence, except as it pertains to favorite artists of mine like Rush and Frank Zappa. 

At this point, in light of the points you have raised (which I have to agree, are quite valid in their own right) I am done wasting your time and mine.  This back-and-forth dialogue with the admins has become insane, and I am sure that you and everyone else involved have better things to occupy your time with than this pseudo-debate, which is not going anywhere productive as far as I can see.  I am sorry to have dragged this out so long, it was obviously a sensitive issue for many folks, and the idea of even questioning the Beatles influence is on par with desecration of the Dome of the Rock for many.  I personally don't share that view, but hey, it is a public forum, I won't operate under the assumption that my interpretation of history is universal truth.

I will not post the Goodall rebuttal, and I will edit my older posts to make sure that they conform to the guidelines set forth by ProgArchives.  Clearly, on matters relating to the Beatles a reasoned debate in a public forum is not possible.  I have seen this occur on other forums and websites, and was seriously hoping for a better response.  Clearly, I was out of line for having that expectation.   
Unfortunately I cannot remove my Admin badge while indulging in general forum debates, but rest assured you have not been in back-and-forth dialogue with the admins here - just exchanges between people who like music.

As many have said - it's okay to not like The Beatles, even going as far as hating them is really okay. You can say that here and it will not create an outcry; you can criticise The Beatles and that also will not create and outcry; you can say "Yes - they are given too much credit for innovation and origination" and that will not create an outcry; You can say they were not virtuoso musicians and hundreds will agree with you. That people have reacted to what you have posted (and no one has agreed with you) should suggest to you that the examples you have used are invalid, irrelevant or wrong. Seriously - this teen-idol magazine cover tact is an irrelevant nonsense and really is the final straw for me. Is this your final answer: "The Beatles are given too much credit for innovation and origination because they appeared on the cover of a teen-idol magazine in the 60s" ?

On reflection not posting the Goodall rebuttal is probably a good idea. Edit your previous posts as much as you like - they've been quoted so often it won't make any difference.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:21

See, this is what I find the most exacerbating about your commentary. You, yourself, made The Rolling Stones germane in the conversation. You, yourself, used The Rolling Stones as an icon and influence in an attempt to discredit The Beatles. Then, when it is pointed out in no uncertain terms that The Stones were marketed exactly in the same manner as The Beatles in the 60s, and that The Stones themselves were heavily influenced by The Beatles, you flippantly back-peddle and try to minimize your own errors.  

I am sorry to have dragged this out so long, it was obviously a sensitive issue for many folks, and the idea of even questioning the Beatles influence is on par with desecration of the Dome of the Rock for many.  I personally don't share that view, but hey, it is a public forum, I won't operate under the assumption that my interpretation of history is universal truth.

Sarcasm during an apology seldom engenders a positive response. Which brings me to your final comment...

Clearly, on matters relating to the Beatles a reasoned debate in a public forum is not possible.  I have seen this occur on other forums and websites, and was seriously hoping for a better response.  Clearly, I was out of line for having that expectation.   

Hoping for a better response? Please, spare me the wounded cry for a "reasoned debate". Had you wished to debate the subject intellectually, you wouldn't have used inflammatory, mean-spirited and utterly trollish phrases to color your biased rhetoric. Here's a sample:

Sort of a skilled boy-band of the 60's....

Most of their music sounds dated, trite, tacky, peppy, commercialized, and lacking in timelessness....

cutesy garbage facades like Srgt Pepper....

I have more respect for pole dancers and Las Vegas showgirls ....

Like Jesus, the Beatles are incredibly overrated...

They are the precursor to the Backstreet Boys...

The Beatles were nothing more than flatterers and imitators of Brian Wilson...

"Abbey Road" and "Revolver" are hideously mastered...

And on and on for several pages....

This is not the sort of hyperbole that makes for "reasoned debate"; hence, the replies you received. If you aren't aware of the tenor and crude nature of your commentary, then you are either disengenuous or troubled.

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 01 2011 at 10:28
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:26
It's ok if he thinks they sound like a boy band. It's not without a grain of truth because boy bands, among many other styles of rock, channeled the Beatles in some or other way. Big smile  But inferring therefore that their influence on rock music is just a lie invented by the media is where he lost the plot. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:46
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It's ok if he thinks they sound like a boy band. It's not without a grain of truth because boy bands, among many other styles of rock, channeled the Beatles in some or other way. Big smile  But inferring therefore that their influence on rock music is just a lie invented by the media is where he lost the plot. 

Oh, I don't disagree with your point, Roger. It's the manner in which such references are couched that make the difference. Bemoaning the fact that there wasn't a "reasoned debate" while at the same time slurring and demeaning a performer is nothing less than a joke. 

It would be as if I attacked a performer he revered, such as Frank Zappa, and make ludicrous statements like "Zappa is merely Spike Jones with an electric guitar", or "the only influence Zappa had was on Weird Al Yancovic's parodies", or "the only way Zappa could earn money was to make sophomoric jokes about yellow snow and dog-doo snow cones", in an effort to minimize the artist without any historical perspective, would be wrong and not at all the proper way to accomplish a "reasoned debate". It would accomplish the exact opposite, and both you and I know that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>