Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLosing interest in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:09
Honestly I have so much music in my harddrive that I found it hard to get bored. Lately I did not hear anything labeled as prog for example. For the last two months I have been hearing Luis Alberto Spinetta ( one of the creators of argentinean rock) and he had more or less 40 records in all his career.
Then I have been hearing a lot of classic argentinean rock bands of the 70s like Vox Dei , Manal , Seru Giran , La pesada del rock and roll , Vivencia ,etc... Its easy to get bored with the bands that play or emulate classic prog because YOU KNOW WHATS GONNA HAPPEN. Probably listening to a bit of jazz , some hard rock , and then coming back to prog is what many users need to get cured of the prog overdose.
This happened to me with Brain Salad Surgery from ELP for example.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 00:54
Originally posted by jamsebrown jamsebrown wrote:

I Think That  learning to relax can help you greatly. In fact, it can change your life. You may not think so, but the tension is actually a habit - especially bad habits. But a little practice, it can change into a good habit, that is to relax. You can easily feel great throughout the day, day after day .

Agreed, relaxing more and concentrating totally on hearing the music rather than thinking of something else is a much more rewarding experience, and also helps me sleep better. Some of my feelings of boredom are caused by not knowing what to play next, and I have found removing sub-standard songs from the iPod then putting it on random play is a good solution.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 14:02
I've come to the point where I almost entirely ignore genres now. I only use them to describe to others what a bands like really. The only classifications I use for myself now are electronic or non-electronic and heavy or soft. Other than that, nothing seems to matter to me anymore.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

Other than that, nothing seems to matter to me anymore.
But you have so much to live for
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 14:13
ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
There be dragons
progbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 11:59
i think it's all about recycling...

I go thru phases where i don't listen to prog for a while and i listen to blues or Christian music.   I play guitar but am not good enough to play "prog" like Steve Howe or Roye Albrighton (but then again, who is?  :-) ).   So because I'm slow on guitar, I noodle over 12-bar blues and the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc..

I then get into an acid-folk phase (anyone else check out this genre) from the artists of the late 60's/early-md 70's like your Nick Drakes, Mark Fry, Karen Beth, Donovan,  etc..

Then it cycles back around to prog again, etc...

I don't think  (IHMO) that it's really losing interest in prog more than it is just needing to check out something else for a while but then at a later time wanting to hear prog again.

Smile
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 12:47
Personally I'm sick of the whole planet. Head on wall

Musically speaking I have always listened to everything under the sun from the Pipes & Drums of The Black Watch to Alvin & The Chipmunks. If it has something redeemable I'll listen to it. Hell, I own about 20 Elvis freaking albums. Thing about progrock when I got into it back in the mid-16th century it turned me on to a lot of classical, jazz as well as traditional music that I had never heard of before. I wouldn't say that I'm sick of it or any  genre of music because I listen to so many different styles. I'm listening to Charles Mingus'   "Ah Um" LP groovy stuff.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:01
 I'd take Ah Um over the vast majority of Prog, that's for sure. 

I love lots of music held under the prog umbrella, and a lot of music that for me closely relates to it, but I don't really consider myself to be a Prog as genre fan.  The biggest names and most popular and stereotypical styles of Prog commonly leave me quite cold.  I do love lots of music held in various categories at PA.

There's far too much music under the umbrella for me to ever get really tired of the greater "prog" scene and I do listen to a  wide variety of music which helps me from getting bored with any one musical idiom.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:10
I listened to Pithecanthropus Erectus this morning.... Mingus was a musical prodigy.

And no I'll never tire of prog. Too many detours, approaches, vast open fields, b-roads and ulterior sound motifs for me to dive into.
I'll go as far as to say, that if one gets tired of prog - then the person is either too picky, or maybe they just haven't heard enough of it. Tiring of prog is damn near impossible from where I'm sitting, but maybe that's just me...

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 29 2012 at 13:11
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I must say I lose interest in prog. It just does not interest me anymore what new albums come out, with the odd exception. Jazz and classical music  are much more interesting, in my opinion.. There is so much music to discover which expands my mind more than prog; why, completely exploring the works of Johann Sebastian Bach lone seems to be a task that would take a lifetime but would be much more fulfilling than wasting my time with so-called "new" prog albums which are more or less just an endless repetition of what has already been said.

What's more: I hate the way albums are being produced these days; they all sound extremely sterile. Each instrument clearly separated from the other. Some audio freaks may rejoice about that, but that is not what music sounds like when it is being played live. The instruments all mingle then; there are multiple reverberations and fractions of sound, and this is what makes music sound "alive"; so much nicer for my ears.

I know many of you will disagree and come up with examples of what I absolutely "have" to hear. And I know equally well that I will listen to it, shrug and say "so what?"

Hi BaldFriede,Tongue

No music compares to classical, that is as good as it gets.  Jazz is wondrous, but the huge compromise the jazz world makes is no harmony.  Jazz is all about one talented musician playing a million notes, however brilliantly, while the other musicians play a very basic supportive pattern.  Jazz can rotate solos, but almost always features one cat playin at a time.  No music like classical has the layers of harmony, composed interaction of multi-instruments, you name it.  Maybe a band like Pat Metheny comes close to this?? Yes, one can marvel for decades at the work of the classical masters.  This is why  "classical" prog: ELP - YES - Genesis have provided the most listening enjoyment to me, and why I haven't gone for the metal-prog or vocal screamer-prog, while very popular in their time, they don't contain the main ingredient of classical music. Which would be that of musical composition in its classical form.

Second, recorded music & live music are two very different things, but I need to know what recordings you speak of
to get a better idea. In general, more energy was put into recording/production back in the day.  Now, record companies
try to find something popular and trendy to sell, even if it means recording a kazoo in a steel garbage can.

Naw, I have no music you "have" to hear, except maybe 1970-1976 Elton John?!?! Wink

You seem to be on the right track finding music that makes you happy.  Smile

Edited by dennismoore - February 29 2012 at 13:23
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:29
Some prog  bands ( & related ) I'll never get sick of :
- King Crimson
-Gentle Giant
-Guru Guru
-Amon Duul
-Hawkwind
-Cluster
-Grobschnitt
-Trace
-Omega
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

No music compares to classical, that is as good as it gets.  Jazz is wondrous, but the huge compromise the jazz world makes is no harmony.  Jazz is all about one talented musician playing a million notes, however brilliantly, while the other musicians play a very basic supportive pattern.  Jazz can rotate solos, but almost always features one cat playin at a time.  No music like classical has the layers of harmony, composed interaction of multi-instruments, you name it.  Maybe a band like Pat Metheny comes close to this?? Yes, one can marvel for decades at the work of the classical masters.  This is why  "classical" prog: ELP - YES - Genesis have provided the most listening enjoyment to me, and why I haven't gone for the metal-prog or vocal screamer-prog, while very popular in their time, they don't contain the main ingredient of classical music. Which would be that of musical composition in its classical form.

ArfffffLOL
Arf Dead Prog, jazz, and classical being my favorites you are really scratching your fingernails on my chalkboards. LOL
You hate ambient too, don't you?  It's OK if you don't like metal...Tongue

Uh, you like youse any Reich or Glass?

But hey if jazz makes no harmony then classical restrains musicians to the point of suffocation.

You got musicians reading and playing rote off of paper and not playing the music that's in their hearts and souls if they even have that going on.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 29 2012 at 13:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:35
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Some prog  bands ( & related ) I'll never get sick of :
- King Crimson
-Gentle Giant
-Guru Guru
-Amon Duul
-Hawkwind
-Cluster
-Grobschnitt
-Trace
-Omega

Thank you very much! (Well apart from Hawkwind really - from whom I've only really got into Space Ritual)

I never tire of Pink Floyd and cowboy-toasts as well.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I must say I lose interest in prog. It just does not interest me anymore what new albums come out, with the odd exception. Jazz and classical music  are much more interesting, in my opinion.. There is so much music to discover which expands my mind more than prog; why, completely exploring the works of Johann Sebastian Bach lone seems to be a task that would take a lifetime but would be much more fulfilling than wasting my time with so-called "new" prog albums which are more or less just an endless repetition of what has already been said.

What's more: I hate the way albums are being produced these days; they all sound extremely sterile. Each instrument clearly separated from the other. Some audio freaks may rejoice about that, but that is not what music sounds like when it is being played live. The instruments all mingle then; there are multiple reverberations and fractions of sound, and this is what makes music sound "alive"; so much nicer for my ears.

I know many of you will disagree and come up with examples of what I absolutely "have" to hear. And I know equally well that I will listen to it, shrug and say "so what?"

Hi BaldFriede,Tongue

Second, recorded music & live music are two very different things, but I need to know what recordings you speak of
to get a better idea. In general, more energy was put into recording/production back in the day.  Now, record companies
try to find something popular and trendy to sell, even if it means recording a kazoo in a steel garbage can.

Naw, I have no music you "have" to hear, except maybe 1970-1976 Elton John?!?! Wink

You seem to be on the right track finding music that makes you happy.  Smile

WHAAAAAAAAAAT ? Jazz has no harmony ? I think that it is time for you to get som Oscar Peterson Trio albums from the late 50s & early 60s. There were two notable lineups Peterson on piano Ray Brown on upright bass & herb Ellis guitar *( he sort of doubled as a drummer because his playing was so percussive. When he decided to leave for personal reasons in '58 he was replaced by drummer Ed Thigpen. and they continued on through until the mid 60s. Go on youtube and listen to these cats play and then come back and try and tell me that jazz has no harmony and it's just a go nuts Oscar band. They were constantly throwing curves at on another. If you want an example of a "one guy goes nuts band" check out The Jeff Healey ( RIP ) Band none of those two backup he guys he had could play beyond the high school level.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:41

Personally I'm sick of the whole planet. Head on wall

I always knew you were personally behind the destruction of the thing. Angry
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Uh, you like youse any Reich or Glass?

But hey if jazz makes no harmony then classical restrains musicians to the point of suffocation.

You got musicians reading and playing rote off of paper and not playing the music that's in their hearts and souls if they even have that going on.

To my dear friend Slartibartfast,Smile

Your taste in music is equalled only by the sumblime combination of art displayed in your avatar.Wink

If dissonance is your thing, I applaud you kind sir. However if you are referring to Philip "The Human Noise Maker" Glass,
I dare state that he is nowhere near the class of musician to be referred by simply his last name.  Bach, Liszt, Brahms, and all those fat dudes with bad hair wigs are rolling over in their graves, as I write.

Smile   LOL    Big smile

Edited by dennismoore - February 29 2012 at 13:53
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 13:57
His avatar is very astute. It reminds me of official paintings of famous statesmen and philosophers. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:06
There is plenty of jazz with harmony, how about in many of the heads of a song? There is jazz where 2 or more soloists can be going at once. Not to mention, there is a whole jazz sub genre that is mostly composed music (Third Stream).
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:19

His avatar is very astute. It reminds me of official paintings of famous statesmen and philosophers. 

The story behind the avatar

It was originally a cartoon in a computer program that you could make your own greeting cards from so there is a foundational artist I can't give credit to.  I adapted it.  The beard and hair color were taken from a photo of me and cloned in (Corel Photopaint).  I did a few other modifications myself.  The tuxedo was modeled after the one I wore at my wedding in 2002 but in cartoon it kind of looks like an old stand up comedian's.  What makes it really cool is that it is taken from a cake topper I made for our wedding.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 14:30
^ I don't know why, but your avatar looks different than what it used to. Maybe because I'm noticing the tux, which I hadn't before when this was your usual avatar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>