Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Progressive Rock Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Who's your all-time favourite classic Prog-Rock band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
9 [13.24%]
3 [4.41%]
2 [2.94%]
4 [5.88%]
2 [2.94%]
13 [19.12%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
5 [7.35%]
3 [4.41%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 08:43
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

My fave, Triumvirat, is not listed, so no vote. A lot of great bands on the list, though....

Sorry, I was concentrating mostly on British bands and I used all of the available 25 slots in the poll. Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 19 2019 at 10:10
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:01
King Crimson always wins in my book.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:34
Is it just me or is it weird that Yes only has one vote? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My fave, Triumvirat, is not listed, so no vote. A lot of great bands on the list, though....

Sorry, I was concentrating mostly on British bands and I used all of the available 25 slots in the poll. Heart

No bands from after the 70's either. Not even Marillion or Porcupine Tree. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 11:07
KC
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 11:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that the poll is for classic Progressive Rock bands from the 1970's era. I have posted a separate Neo-Prog poll though, featuring more modern bands such as Marillion and Porcupine Tree. The last time I looked, IQ and Marillion were in joint first place with 12 votes each and Porcupine Tree were trailing slightly behind in third place with 9 votes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 11:56

I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that the poll is for classic Progressive Rock bands from the 1970's era. I have posted a separate Neo-Prog poll though, featuring more modern bands such as Marillion and Porcupine Tree. The last time I looked, IQ and Marillion were in joint first place with 12 votes each and Porcupine Tree were trailing slightly behind in third place with 9 votes.

Oh yes, I forgot about that poll. As for older bands then the only ones that seem absent from the poll(off the top of my head)are Strawbs, Magma, PFM, Kayak, Uriah Heep, Gong, Soft Machine and maybe some other Canterbury bands. Of course I realize you can't have everyone but I would have included those(or at least some of them) and taken off a few. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:16
Gave my vote to Jade Warrior, but since a lot of my favorite bands are on this list I could have voted for half of them easily. Most people pay attention to what the poll is actually about but there are just enough who do not seem to understand to compel me to say that people should pay attention to what the poll is actually about. If your favorite band or artist is not represented, make your own poll.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:22

Oh yes, I forgot about that poll. As for older bands then the only ones that seem absent from the poll(off the top of my head)are Strawbs, Magma, PFM, Kayak, Uriah Heep, Gong, Soft Machine and maybe some other Canterbury bands. Of course I realize you can't have everyone but I would have included those(or at least some of them) and taken off a few. 

That's right. I'd already used up all 25 slots in the poll and I had to remove two bands (Utopia & Spooky Tooth) from the poll and replace them with two new bands (Jethro Tull & Rush) at the suggestion of our knowledgeable PA members who kindly pointed out that I'd omitted them from the poll. The Strawbs are included twice in my two Prog-related Folk polls and I'm planning to include Uriah Heep in a future poll of classic Hard Rock bands from the 1970's, in which I'll probably use up all 25 available slots again. In addition, Kayak are included in my poll of classic Dutch Prog-Rock and Gong and Soft Machine will most likely feature in a future poll of classic Jazz-Rock. As for PFM, they'll be in a poll of classic Italian Prog-Rock, whenever I can get around to organising it. All in all, I'm going to be having a pretty busy time ahead.   Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:30
The important thing is you know about all those bands. Smile The funny thing is that even with all of those and heck even the top 100 or 200 prog bands is only scratching the surface of what is out there. That's how deep prog goes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:37

The important thing is you know about all those bands. Smile The funny thing is that even with all of those and heck even the top 100 or 200 prog bands is only scratching the surface of what is out there. That's how deep prog goes.

The list is seemingly endless. The last time I checked, I had over 400 Prog-Rock artists in my own personal Artists & Albums Database and they were just the classic Prog-Rock artists from the 1970's era. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:42
It's a good thing I was able to edit in Jethro Tull retroactively, seeing as they've already picked up three votes in the poll. Smile I think being able to edit polls is a new helpful feature that's just been added, because I wasn't able to do that when I first arrived here last month.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 12:45

The list is seemingly endless. The last time I checked, I had over 400 Prog-Rock artists in my own personal Artists & Albums Database and they were just the classic Prog-Rock artists from the 1970's era. Smile

Look at this list. There's probably a lot of bands they are leaving out who are fairly well known in prog circles considering the number of obscure bands who make the top 200(and even 100) there. Still, it's an interesting list. https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistsprog.html

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 13:09

Look at this list. There's probably a lot of bands they are leaving out who are fairly well known in prog circles considering the number of obscure bands who make the top 200(and even 100) there. Still, it's an interesting list. https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistsprog.html

Thanks! That's an excellent list of both old and new Prog artists and I've just added that webpage to my favourites menu. I'm sure I'll find some artists in that list who aren't already in my 80,000+ album covers database. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 19 2019 at 13:10
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 14:24
Genesis is the best followed by Pink Floyd who is followed by Camel
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 14:53
Over all Yes gets my vote.  Behind them it's a tied between Genesis and King Crimson.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Over all Yes gets my vote.  Behind them it's a tied between Genesis and King Crimson.

Interesting how Yes only have 2 votes so far but King Crimson have 10 and Genesis have 5. I know Yes are well liked on here and would probably figure into many people's top 5 and even top 3 but I guess they just aren't the number one band for most on here. I don't really play favorites myself much anymore but for the longest time they were my number one band and I still might vote for them.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 16:43

Thumbs Up  thanks for the shout out.. next to the AR team here which was the ultimate murder's row of smart intelligent and knowledgeable music lovers... .that was the best group of guys I could have ever worked with.  We worked for years coming up with those lists.. I also helped do the bassist lists for that site. They made a few changes to the prog lists after I left to come to this site..dropped a few bands which under my rule were higher AngryLOL..  but still..  thought it was a really good list.

Edited by micky - October 19 2019 at 16:44
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 17:33
Hey Micky,  I had no idea you were involved with DDD. Is the guy who did a lot of the prog stuff on there, Drew, a member on here too? Over all it's a very good site especially for those like myself who like lists.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2019 at 18:22
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:08
No Hawkwind? Very odd. No vote. 

Lmao, kidding! Great poll man, right from the start. Several on here I could have easily voted for.. Yes, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Caravan.. but went with Yes since they need it to catch up here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>