Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your favorite genesis song lyrics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 11:31
I totally agree with Blacksword, A Bard, and Hackettfan:

"The Lamia" is by far my favorite. I'm not a lyrics guy, but the sing-song poetic diction of Gabriel throughout that song is like a balm--not to mention the amazing imagery it evokes. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 15:03
What? Nobody picked Who Dunnit?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 18:18
Get em Out By Friday and Battle of Epping Forest for me, just because both of them tell such fun, surreal stories. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 18:43
Genesis' Heathaze, especially the part that starts with "Beware the fisherman..."
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 21:04
I haven't really payed enough attention... I guess the bits that have better grasped my interest are from Supper's Ready. However, in general I rather dislike Gabriel's lyrics... kind of the impressions he gives with his words, and the twists on the stories (or his attempts at humor), not really something I find enjoyable.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 21:51
Kind of weird how hardly anyone is actually posting any actual lyrics here. Oh well. Here's a few I like:

It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction of humanoid height....

There's a fat old lady outside the saloon laying out the credit card she plays fortune....the deck is uneven right from the start......

The mountan cuts off the town from view ...like a cancer growth is removed by skill

He's been stamped human bacon by some butchery tool

If this desert's all that they're ever be then tell me what becomes of me a fall of rain...

Throw it away you don't need it up there and remember you don't look back whatever you do.. better start doing it right

But I am lost within this half world it hardly seems to matter now

I see no sign of freewill so I guess I have to pay pay my way.

Some believe that when you die you really live...I believe there never is an end......

Dark and grey an english film for Wednesday play we always watch the queen on christmas day won't you stay

Play me my song....here it comes again

Where are you my father? Give wisdom to your son.

I want a drink to take all the dust and dirt from my throat

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 21 2020 at 09:58
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 23:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I want a drink to take all the dust and dirt from my throat

This line has always stuck out to me too. And I love the emotion he sings it with.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 00:00
Always liked the idea in "Get Em Out Of Friday" kind of farce about capitalism (well today it maybe not be farce anymore).
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 01:20
Get Em Out By Friday, Undertow, Heathaze, Harold the Barrel

They have tons of good lyrics.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 05:02
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I totally agree with Blacksword, A Bard, and Hackettfan:

"The Lamia" is by far my favorite. I'm not a lyrics guy, but the sing-song poetic diction of Gabriel throughout that song is like a balm--not to mention the amazing imagery it evokes. 

The lamia is based on a wet dream that adolescent gabriel had, about being in a swimming pool filled with ribena and a bevy of naked young ladies...I have a similar thought but the pool is filled with beer...and the naked young ladies are all nymphomaniacs....

Edited by M27Barney - March 21 2020 at 05:02
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 09:02
The lyrics to "The Carpet Crawlers" always moved me.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 10:29
My first temptation would be to answer After The Ordeal and Los Endos. Clown

But let's face it:

Moonlit Knight and Epping Forest for the Gabriel era

Volcano, Robbery and Tail for the next two albums

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 11:37
One in particular that always stood out for me is: "the mountain cuts off the town from view like a cancer growth is removed by skill...."
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 15:13
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

What? Nobody picked Who Dunnit?

I do. It is the only Genesis song of which I know the lyrics by heart. I love it!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 15:15
The Lamia.

The imagery in that song is terrifying. I love it. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 17:49
Slightly off-topic I wanted to show you this... I had always thought of my Nik Kershaw fandom as something rather strange, and certainly a hard sell on a prog site, but here he sings The Lamia for Steve Hackett:

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 18:29
Musically it is so terrific, but vocally I have to say it is a bit of a miss. Gabriel is just so much better due to his vocal style, pitch and range. Kershaw is a bit nasally for my liking with this song.
Just an opinion of course. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 20:18
Probably the whole of Lamb is a lyrical masterpiece. Chamber Of 32 Doors stands out but I also like the lyric ''If you think its pretentious you've been taken for a ride, look across the room sonny before you take a side''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12