Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unvers Zero Neglected Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 08:45
I wouldn't call UZ neglected at all. Avant-prog is like the advanced calculus zone of the music world and only attracts the nerds therefore it will by design be a smaller pool of fans.

As far as avant-prog goes, UZ is amongst the most popular of the so-called panhead music. 

On RYM's top 100 avant-prog albums UZ rates like this:

Heresie #9
Ceux du Dehors #12
Uzed #45
Crawling Wind #51
Heatwave #52
1313 #58

They would surely rank higher if RYM didn't have multiple tags. Many bands like Area, Magma and other zeuhl is listed. So i think they are doing quite well.

Neglected on the forums maybe!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 09:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

amazon.it sells Clivages for 1840 Euro, amazon.de for 1709 (OK they have used copies for about 70 Euros but still). amazon.co.uk and France don't have any. No major download site seems to have it. It's just 10 years old that album. Are they joking?

This tells you all you need to know about Daniel Denis' approach to product availability. According to Wayside they still have 4 perfect promo copies for sales at $15 but don't know if they are still there. You can pick up mint copies on Discogs for less than $30.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 10:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

amazon.it sells Clivages for 1840 Euro, amazon.de for 1709 (OK they have used copies for about 70 Euros but still). amazon.co.uk and France don't have any. No major download site seems to have it. It's just 10 years old that album. Are they joking?

This tells you all you need to know about Daniel Denis' approach to product availability. According to Wayside they still have 4 perfect promo copies for sales at $15 but don't know if they are still there. You can pick up mint copies on Discogs for less than $30.

Thanks for the info!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 11:57
I'm not overly familiar with them but based on my extensive knowledge of prog(if I'm allowed to toot my own horn)I would say they are pretty well known by most prog afficianados. Even if a prog fan doesn't really know them(like I don't)I would say it's difficult to not at least hear of them the same way it's difficult to not have heard of Magma, Henry Cow, National Health, Caravan, Nektar, Gong, etc. That said they seem to be a bit more popular over on the progressive ears site than on here. Also, they headlined Nearfest one year. Not just any band got to headline there so that's saying something.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 21 2020 at 11:58
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 12:15
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

...Avant-prog is like the advanced calculus zone of the music world....

Whoa!!!! You trying to start a plebeian revolt here?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 12:26
^ LOL. Nah, i'm just saying that avant-prog is often the most complex type of prog that exists. It takes someone who's listened to countless thousands of hours of music to often understand where bands like Univers Zero are coming from. UZ is actually tame compared to bands like Yugen for example.

Do upper division classes in universities cause plebeian revolts from the freshman class? No way! These bands simply require a deeper focus and a much greater acceptance of the very strange. They require lower division prerequisites for true understanding to blossom like a lotus flower LOL

Edited by siLLy puPPy - April 21 2020 at 12:28

Kristian_Cole View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian_Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 13:02

its the damn collectors i tell you!!!!! WinkWinkWinkWink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by Kristian_Cole Kristian_Cole wrote:

its the damn collectors i tell you!!!!! WinkWinkWinkWink

That's ridiculous. You can get a copy on Discogs for only 13.04$USD

https://www.discogs.com/Univers-Zero-Clivages/release/2082911

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 13:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not overly familiar with them but based on my extensive knowledge of prog(if I'm allowed to toot my own horn)I would say they are pretty well known by most prog afficianados. Even if a prog fan doesn't really know them(like I don't)I would say it's difficult to not at least hear of them the same way it's difficult to not have heard of Magma, Henry Cow, National Health, Caravan, Nektar, Gong, etc. That said they seem to be a bit more popular over on the progressive ears site than on here. Also, they headlined Nearfest one year. Not just any band got to headline there so that's saying something.

Rob & Chad always liked an eclectic mix of bands at NF.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:00

While that may be true they also modelled their formula after Progday which also always had an eclectic mix(although that's probably even more the case now with PD than when it first started out since the founder admitted his preference was for symph even though he did try to be diverse).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 21 2020 at 14:02
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:27
I have to confess that i'm a relatively late comer to Avant, RIO and Zeuhl; I didn't really come across Magma until the 80's and Henry Cow a bit earlier but beyond that... Then I picked up a vinyl copy of 1313 on cuniform and it just took the top of my head off! since then ive picked up a few more of their lps and it just gets better and better!!

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:35

While that may be true they also modelled their formula after Progday which also always had an eclectic mix(although that's probably even more the case now with PD than when it first started out since the founder admitted his preference was for symph even though he did try to be diverse).

ProgDay's mix of band genres is very eclectic, I always find something to enjoy there though I'm mainly there for the social side these days as I have made many friends there over the years.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 14:45

ProgDay's mix of band genres is very eclectic, I always find something to enjoy there though I'm mainly there for the social side these days as I have made many friends there over the years.

Nothing wrong with that. The more you go to these things the more people you meet. I actually was very involved with PD for a few years quite a while ago. It would be nice to return one day but who knows. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I have to confess that i'm a relatively late comer to Avant, RIO and Zeuhl; I didn't really come across Magma until the 80's and Henry Cow a bit earlier but beyond that... Then I picked up a vinyl copy of 1313 on cuniform and it just took the top of my head off! since then ive picked up a few more of their lps and it just gets better and better!!

You may then also want to try the biggest RIO-band, Art Zoyd. "Biggest" refers in an objective manner to the size of their catalogue (which is of very consistent quality, as is the one of UZ), and in a somewhat less objective manner to my personal taste. Big smile

Edited by Lewian - April 21 2020 at 16:05
Droxford View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Droxford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 11:36
I rate Univers Zero very highly, but I also like Dark Ambient, and their music seems to be the point where Prog and Dark Ambient meet.  Particularly evident on the 1979  'Heresie' album. 

I don't whether UZ being from Belgium and emerging at the end of the 1970s, or simply that their music is unlikely to be widely popular,  led to them being quite neglected. But good to see that other people are listening to them 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 12:57
I was never crazy about the spelling of their name. Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 14:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Well they are from Belgium!! It's the French spelling.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - July 29 2020 at 14:05
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 14:38

Me neither. They are missing an e. ;) Also, the original post here is missing an i.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 14:38

Oh, that explains it. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2020 at 15:39

Well, just like Present, if it was really in french, then it would read like Univers Zéro and Présent.

However, for UZ, it doesn't change much, for Present in English it can changes the meaning, from being present (as opposed to being absent) or being a gift.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>