Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog inspired by Books and Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was going to mention "Cinema Show" and that it was inspired by the Wasteland by T.S. Elliot but someone beat me to it (although I have never seen any mention before that it was only based on the third part of it). ;)

There's someone else at least that mentions it, with the specific lines from the poem that inspired the Genesis song: https://musicaficionado.blog/2016/06/20/cinema-show-live-by-genesis/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:44
-- "One Brown Mouse" by Tull was inspired by Scottish poet Robert Burns' "To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest With the Plough"

-- Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a chapter title from Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willow.

-- Floyd's Animals is loosely based on Orwell's Animal Farm.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

How about some early Alan Parsons Project?  Or recent Neil Morse albums?!

Alan Parsons first album "tales of mystery and imagination" was based on Edgar Allen Poe's stories and they did Asimov on Irobot. Not sure what else by them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:49

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

I really like the band Ritual(whatever happened to them anyway?)so I'll have to look into those. I've actually never heard of that writer.
That's probably because you're not Swedish.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:52
One of my faves, sung beautifully by Robert Wyatt - The Hapless Child (and other inscrutable stories).
Mike Mantler composed some lovely Avant Jazz to curious stories by Edward Gorey.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 10:57
Some have stooped to this kind of low-down behaviour more than once. Look at Bo Hansson. He started out with Sagan om Ringen (inspired by a Charles Dickens story about a dyslexic bell-ringer's doomed love affair with a gnome). Not satisfied, he returned to his folly with El-Ahrairah (based, as I recall, on Aldous Huxley's political animal fable about the sad demise of Winston Rabbit).
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:02
Zappa's "Uncle Remus" is a political satire of Joel Chandler Harris's Uncle Remus books.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:05

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

I really like the band Ritual(whatever happened to them anyway?)so I'll have to look into those. I've actually never heard of that writer.

"Die Mumins", the first TV-show of the Augsburger Puppenkiste, a marionette theater in Germany, was based on that book. The Augsburger Puppenkiste is famous in Germany; millions of kids grew up with their many shows.

Here a photo from that first TV-show (still in black-and-white):

Here some photos from other famous productions by them (which they always based on children's books):

Bill Bo und seine Kumpane (Bill Bo and his Companions):

Bill Bo und seine Kumpane (Film &amp;amp; Fernsehen 1968) | Die ...

Kleiner König Kalle Wirsch (Little King Kalle Wirsch):

Der Löwe ist los (The Lion is on the Loose):

Edited by BaldFriede - July 01 2020 at 11:23

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:11
Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth is obvious. King Arthur is a literary icon.

Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit is a take on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Steve Hackett did a song called Narnia on Please Don't Touch. Spectral Mornings includes The Virgin and the Gypsy, inspired by a short novel by T.H. Lawrence.

Kojiki by Kitaro tells a story from Japanese mythology.

The Fountain of Salmacis by Genesis is based on a Greek myth.

Scheherezade by Renaissance is inspired by the 1001 Arabian Nights. Also, Mother Russia is inspired by the works of Solzhenitsyn.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:16
Almost forgot this one: Dust and Dreams is Camels telling of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tove Jansson was Finnish, though she belonged to the Swedish-speaking minority (Finland is officially bilingual). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tove_Jansson#The_Moomin_books
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 11:40
Coincidentally, I was listening to RanestRane off the Ma.Ra.Cash Records Bandcamp page today. They did a series of 3 albums based on 2001: A Space Odyssey:

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tove Jansson was Finnish, though she belonged to the Swedish-speaking minority (Finland is officially bilingual). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tove_Jansson#The_Moomin_books
And I didn't know that most probably because I'm not Swedish or bilingual Finnish. Wacko
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 13:08
Genesis "and then there were three" was an allusion to "and then there were none" by Agatha Christie. Also, Wind and Wuthering has parts(including the title)which are based on "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 13:10
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Almost forgot this one: Dust and Dreams is Camels telling of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.
'

One of my all time favorite albums. Maybe I should read the book. Tongue
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 13:20
Sorry. Steve, did not mean to offendSmile. It's just that I lived in Finland for a few years, and know that even those who speak  Swedish as their mother tongue don't like to be confused with Swedes.

Back to the topic at hand, a few songs by Kate Bush are based on literary sources - not just the very well-known "Wuthering Heights". For instance, "The Sensual World" is inspired by the last chapter of Joyce's Ulysses. Then there is King Crimson's "The Sheltering Sky", inspired by Paul Bowles' novel of the same name (and Bernardo Bertolucci's film based on the novel).

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 13:46
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

For instance, "The Sensual World" is inspired by the last chapter of Joyce's Ulysses.

anyone who has ever read that chapter and listens to that song will immediately make that connection, if only from the repeated "mmm, yes". that monologue has about 25000 words in seven sentences without any commas, and it ends with the words "and yes I said yes I will yes". these are all things I didn't have to look up; "Ulysses" is one of my absolute favorite books

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:08
Mother Gong's "The Pied Piper" is based on the epic poem "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" by Robert Browning, and the lyrics almost completely consist of quotes from that poem, with a few filler lines spoken by Gilli when passages are left out (the song would have to be much longer than its length of 14:38 to get the whole poem in)

Edited by BaldJean - July 01 2020 at 14:10

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:52

'

The book is brilliant but I found it depressing. It is a story of hardship. I am familiar with several of the locations. The film version with Henry Fonda is also excellent.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 14:56

'

The book is brilliant but I found it depressing. It is a story of hardship. I am familiar with several of the locations. The film version with Henry Fonda is also excellent.

One of my absolute favorite books. After reading it I fell into a Steinbeck fever and read all other books by him too.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 01 2020 at 15:02

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>