Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern/New Prog Poll 3: New Neo Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What, out of these, is the best new neo prog album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [19.23%]
7 [26.92%]
2 [7.69%]
4 [15.38%]
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 14:33
Another tough poll! Good job Paul! Ok, The Rutles for me. At least until I can make up my mind.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 14:58
New Neo-Prog is more aesthetically pleasing to me than Modern Neo-Prog. I like paralllelism, and since Neo means new and sounds so much like new, it works better for me. That said I would prefer a New Neu! topic, but that’s my musical bias. Might be a few Nu Neu bands. I do think we can get too hung hung up on labels and titles.

As for the poll, I haven’t heard any of them since it did omit The Rutles.

- Greg

P.S. A Psychic Paul would be useful, with the prophetic power to predict the prospective future of Prog Archives possibly. Will it survive or fall victim to cancel culture and the like? ;)

Edited by Logan - October 10 2020 at 15:01
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 15:54
^ Psychic Paul looks into his crystal ball and predicts he won't be running any more New/Neo Prog polls. Wink

By the way, I'm voting for The Psychedelic Ensemble, having heard them for the first time today and discovered their music sounds just as good as their name. Smile 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 16:18
Well, I hope you do start some new Prog polls at some time, possibly of the non remotely aurally new or old Neo-Prog style variety. Now I’m off to listen to some neo Krautrock — “Meet the new Kraut, same as the old Kraut” (die Who), followed by, perhaps, some Neofolk. I might just do a Neo-Prog vs. neofolk poll at some time.

Edited by Logan - October 10 2020 at 16:20
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 16:20
Ok Frost. Not my favorite by them but they deserve some love.

Edited by SteveG - October 10 2020 at 16:21
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Well, I hope you do start some new Prog polls at some time, possibly of the non remotely aurally new or old Neo-Prog style variety. Now I’m off to listen to some neo Krautrock — “Meet the new Kraut, same as the old Kraut” (die Who), followed by, perhaps, some Neofolk. I might just do a Neo-Prog vs. neofolk poll at some time.

I did start a new Prog poll today, but it was of Ye Olde Brit Prog variety. Smile
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 01:08
I know just 2 of these and I will go with Frost*, as I did in another poll some days ago.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 03:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Sylvan - Home (2015) is my choice here. 

Excellent choice, me too...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 03:59
The Frost* album is exceptional (apparently there is a new one planned for next year) so I voted for that. 

the Legend album is also great and Magenta's Masters of Illusion is my favourite album of the year so far. I'm not particularly familiar with anything else on the list though.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 05:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Psycho Paul's definition of neo is not quite right.
PS. I love calling him Psycho Paul.

Deli means crazy, mad in Turkish. PsycheDELİc Paul has some craziness inside, from a Turkish standpoint. LOL
I could get used to being called Psycho Paul. Tongue Meanwhile, it's time to delve into my psychedelicatessen of tasty musical delights.

By the way, I enjoyed The Queen of Sorrow video by The Psychedelic Ensemble. Thumbs Up
Good! Glad to return the favour (you introduced me to Tony Banks's solo albums).
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 00:21
I didn't think you were saying "new neo-prog" was a sub-genre. I thought you were just referring to newer neo bands/releases. Though they definitely sound different from the classic sound. I haven't heard all these bands yet, but Frost* was always one that I had trouble pegging as neo exactly. I think a couple years ago they were in crossover (before I joined the forums), but are now neo. Their second album definitely fits crossover. The first and third kind of live in that sort of "new prog" pocket, ESPECIALLY Falling Satellites, The debut is more symphy, and I can understand it being labelled neo, but... I don't know, it kind of doesn't fit with me. I've heard only one Sanguine Hum track so far, but it gave me the same vibe.

Anyway, Cristi, if you want to hear post-progressive, check out 80s KC or Fripp and Eno's stuff. We're allowed to use terms from outside the site. Expand your horizons. You learned something new didn't you?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 00:56
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Anyway, Cristi, if you want to hear post-progressive, check out 80s KC or Fripp and Eno's stuff. We're allowed to use terms from outside the site. Expand your horizons. You learned something new didn't you?

Why are you reopening that can of worms, I thought that discussion was done. 

So if I do not accept genre names from other sites, I'm narrow-minded? I do not expand my horizons? I've never heard of post-progressive until this thread. Gee, I wonder why? 

Terms like neo-prog, eclectic prog and crossover prog work fine with me, so yeah, excuse my narrow-mindedness and arrogance, I do not need a term like post-progressive. 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 06:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Frost* album is exceptional

+1
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Another tough poll! Good job Paul! Ok, The Rutles for me. At least until I can make up my mind.
Which Paul? What good job did Paul do? Slightly confused. Smile

Terms like neo-prog, eclectic prog and crossover prog work fine with me, so yeah, excuse my narrow-mindedness and arrogance, I do not need a term like post-progressive. 
No one said you were arrogant. If you won't use the term, I won't criticise you, I believe you should just enjoy the music and not care too much about terminology. However, please accept that post progressive is a term. Just because it's not on prog archives officially doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:17

No one said you were arrogant. If you won't use the term, I won't criticise you, I believe you should just enjoy the music and not care too much about terminology. However, please accept that post progressive is a term. Just because it's not on prog archives officially doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
[/QUOTE]

I do enjoy music, from various decades, various genres.

But terminology matters, when people come up with their own terms, genre names it only creates confusion. If one disagrees with the PA genre names, go ahead and talk about it, but I do not have to use a term someone else borrowed from God knows where. 

To some people, wikipedia seems more credible than our own PA, it's ridiculous, gives me a headache... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:29
^The term post progressive was in use long before Wikipedia existed. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:33

and yet I've never heard of it. Confused Never seen it used, not here on PA, not in the other places I have used for music news, discussion etc. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:36

and yet I've never heard of it. Confused Never seen it used, not here on PA, not in the other places I have used for music news, discussion etc. 
To be fair, it isn't common. It came briefly in the early 80s and then practically disappeared. Neo prog was much more popular.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:47

To be fair, it isn't common. It came briefly in the early 80s and then practically disappeared. Neo prog was much more popular.

but neo-prog refers to a specific sound. I wanted to explain some thread here what that sound is, but gave up, best suggestion I could make was for people to listen to the debut albums of Twelfth Night, Marillion and IQ. It's all there. Smile

Edited by Cristi - October 12 2020 at 10:47
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 10:51

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Which Paul? What good job did Paul do?
Sorry, about that. I thought there were two Pauls here. It must be the uncanny similarities. Wink

Edited by SteveG - October 12 2020 at 10:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>