Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting prog rock books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 08:36
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

)your list(

Hi,

That is a list of books on progressive music, not quite the biographies listed, which I would imagine you have not read, and likely won't since your interest is more of a Wiki thing, than it appears real at this moment. Wink

All these are reviewed on my web pages, as I love reading biographies. I would like to add more, but some of them are totally out of step with my ability to get them. I'm missing the one on Eno, but I can't find the book in the midst of my stuff!

IF, there was a best one, I would say that Robert Wyatt's is the best, and he has the best lines of anyone, and specially about Syd. But the fake music listeners, would be insulted that Robert just made them look like fools! I quote it all the time, and everyone ignores it since it threatens their "musical" knowledge. 

The Real Frank Zappa Book - Frank Zappa 
Really with it, although we might think it is way too wordy sometimes. But the court scene in London is better than any of his albums, and he should have done a 100 Motels and Days, with it!

Bill Bruford: The Autobiography. Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks and More - 
Great book, but I have a feeling that it was intended for drummers and not readers!

Different Every Time: The Authorized Biography of Robert Wyatt - Marcus O'Dair
The best.

Lifting Shadows the Authorized Biography of Dream Theater - Rich Wilson
Very good, although I kinda think that he is too much of a Portnoy fan, and does not really make/explain the musicianship in the other folks!

Force Majeure - Edgar Froese
Very good, but sadly it ends in 1990 or so before the Jerome time. I think that a lot of it has been taken away and won't be published because Jerome won't allow Bianca to have any satisfaction over it!

Maximum Darkness - Deke Leonard
A very nice book, but really sad. But it stands out!

No One Here Gets Out Alive - About Jim Morrison and The Doors
The most complete of all the books, as it is a veritable diary of the band. It many ways, it explains the band better than anyone else, and the romanticized pulp stuff out there!

Marianne Faithfull - The Autobiography
It's Ok, but not great. I think there are things that she is hiding and won't admit to, and I have the feeling that she thinks that the image of that pretty girl and model needs to stand up and be "alive" instead of showing a side that broke it all down, and showed someone else!

Missing, until I find the books:
- Eno
- Future Days - Krautrock book (fantastic)
- The Beatles - A lot of books, but I have no interest in saying anything else about it. Enough has been said including the hippocrisy and the attitudes about their "decline" and the media hate. And I was one of the few folks that said that "Let it Be" is NOT a sad movie, but a really nice postcard for Christmas, and one that you will shed a tear over. I guess the new rocumentary on it will also harp on that idea and thought! It remains the first of the great commercial melt downs, but it did not hurt enough for the mega corporations to give a damn!

I also have Patti's book (wow, so bad!!!!), Anita's (magnificent just like she was!), and some by a few groupies that are nice, and more satisfying than the Clorox tasting and smelling of that Miss something or other ... that in the end, tells us nothing! But a couple of others are really strong and on it, and I guess that we could say shameless, but at least they were honest and not some fake crap!

Edited by moshkito - December 15 2021 at 09:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 09:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

)your list(

Hi,

That is a list of books on progressive music, not quite the biographies listed, which I would imagine you have not read, and likely won't since your interest is more of a Wiki thing, than it appears real at this moment. Wink

Actually, I've read all this books, moshkito, and my Prog defining article are based on most of them - which can be seen in my article. I've read quite a lot other music books, as well.

But that is mostly quite a lot years ago, and today yes, I may use Wiki for the most part.

Edited by David_D - December 15 2021 at 09:09
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Hewitt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hewitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 13:34
Favourite Prog rock novel - The Rotters Club by Jonathon Coe. Not about prog rock strictly speaking but takes it’s title from the Hatfield and the North album, set in the 70s and contains several references to Hatfield and Yes. Also, it’s hilarious.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 22:50

)your list(

Hi,

Actually, I've read all this books, moshkito, and my Prog defining article are based on most of them - which can be seen in my article. I've read quite a lot other music books, as well.

But that is mostly quite a lot years ago, and today yes, I may use Wiki for the most part.

Besides that, I can tell you, moshkito, that my education is in history, sociology and philosophy, and not in music or other arts - and that of course influence some how my interest and approach to music matters.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2021 at 23:31

The most complete of all the books, as it is a veritable diary of the band. It many ways, it explains the band better than anyone else, and the romanticized pulp stuff out there!

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" deals heavily with the mythology of the band, as does Oliver Stones movie for which the book was a major source.

Although I like the book (and the movie), I personally prefer "Love Becomes a Funeral Pyre" by Mick Wall for its more rounded (and up to date) perspective.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2021 at 00:32

)your list(

Hi,

About my interests, by the way, it can maybe interest you that I've written a book, as well. It's not about music, though, but about the Danish movement against the European Union, Folkebevægelsen mod EU.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 10:33
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" deals heavily with the mythology of the band, as does Oliver Stones movie for which the book was a major source.

Although I like the book (and the movie), I personally prefer "Love Becomes a Funeral Pyre" by Mick Wall for its more rounded (and up to date) perspective.

Hi,

I liked the "day to day" style of reviewing everything, and then seeing Jim's issues with the Whiskey is quite a story ... and an important one that helped usher the new kind of music, and also helped folks see that Jimi, and Janis and others were not a fluke!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 10:36

)your list(

Hi,

About my interests, by the way, it can maybe interest you that I've written a book, as well. It's not about music, though, but about the Danish movement against the European Union, Folkebevægelsen mod EU.

Hi,

That sounds cool, with only one bit in it ... for European artists, English and otherwise, to be able to survive better and have the ability to work a bit more, I would think that the union would be more important than the separation ... but I am not sure that I am a good person to discuss this with ... you ought to try Edgar Broughton, whose efforts to bring down the English thing that is hurting their artists in both sales and the ability to tour Europe more openly, and have a chance to make some few bits of money more than just a meal and a shack for your band!
www.pedrosena.com
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2021 at 10:39
This excerpt from Wki is quite telling:

"Published nearly a decade after Morrison's death by journalist Jerry Hopkins, the first draft was written solely by Hopkins, based on an extensive interview with Morrison. But attempts to find a publisher, during the years when the Doors were no longer popular, met with rejections from all major publishing houses. Ten years later, the second version of the manuscript, with additional sensationalistic content added by Danny Sugerman, was what made it into publication."

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 17 2021 at 10:40
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12