Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite New Wave albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 08:13
OK, here's a list of albums tagged New Wave by rym. Occasionally I find myself surprised by what has the badge and what doesn't, but anyway... I' m not going to list King Crimson, tag or not.

The Comsat Angels - Waiting for a Miracle, Land (their essential Sleep No More is Dark Wave but not New Wave)
Killing Joke - Brighter than a Thousand Suns (maybe not their best either but has the right tag)
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp, Night and Day
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
The Cure (not listed as none of my favourites of them has the right tag; if we count Darkwave there should also be Joy Division)
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth, The Golden Age of Wireless
Mona Mur - Into Your Eye
Nik Kershaw - Human Racing, The Riddle
Japan - Tin Drum

Best albums tagged as Neue Deutsche Welle (new German wave):
Joachim Witt - Edelweiss
Fehlfarben - 33 Tage in Ketten
Scala 3 - Scala
Spliff - 85555
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 08:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nik Kershaw - Human Racing, The Riddle

Just to be precise, these albums are not labeled by RYM New Wave as one of primary genres. Smile

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 09:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The whole "new wave" is so confusing to begin with, it's what music came out in the aftermath of 70s punk and whatever new bands & artists that came out in the late 70s and early 80s, such as post punk (which is the father of gothic-rock I guess),  synth-pop, power-pop, whatever Duran Duran is classified as LOL, and so on...

Beyond mid 80s, I don't think we can talk about new wave though...Confused

So yeah, it's all confusing with this genre. LOL

It's not confusing once you dig into it.

The term basically applies to any pop oriented bands that kept a punk attitude only focused on catchy pop hooks rather than punk ferocity or the experimental arty approach of post-punk (of course there was much crossover between punk, post-punk and new wave.)

Often associated with synthesizers and synth-pop the term also encompassed pop punk, 2Tone, Pop Reggae, some jangle pop, the new romantic sound, the most poppy sounds of zolo and post-punk, power pop and other styles.

The term is still used for newer acts but i agree that it is better reserved for the era of the late 70s and early 80s since in effect it is so diverse.

I made a fave new wave album list on RYM years ago.
It's not up to date and i need to add new albums.
There was a very interesting new wave movement in Eastern Europe with excellent albums.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/siLLy_puPPy/top-new-wave-albums-of-the-70s-and-80s/2/

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 09:36
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

There was a very interesting new wave movement in Eastern Europe with excellent albums.

Can you name a few? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:06

Can you name a few? 

I can't remember which albums i've listened to at the moment (hence why i haven't updated!) but here's a list of the top new wave albums from several Eastern European nations (not including former USSR)

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time/g:new%2dwave/loc:poland,czech%2drepublic,slovakia%2dslovak%2drepublic,hungary,serbia,croatia,romania,bulgaria/

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:14

Can you name a few? 

I can't remember which albums i've listened to at the moment (hence why i haven't updated!) but here's a list of the top new wave albums from several Eastern European nations (not including former USSR)

ok, thanks 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:53

The term basically applies to any pop oriented bands that kept a punk attitude only focused on catchy pop hooks rather than punk ferocity or the experimental arty approach of post-punk (of course there was much crossover between punk, post-punk and new wave.)

I have a hard time thinking any of Tears For Fears, ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet or the like kept any punk attitude.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:58
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'll admit I use New Wave / Post-Punk as the genre and have little to no idea where one is supposed to draw the genre line. 
It can certainly be difficult for me too to draw the exact line between these two genres, and some albums I might also label with both.

But I see New Wave as more Pop-influenced than Post-Punk, and Post-Punk more similar to Art-Rock.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I have a hard time thinking any of Tears For Fears, ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet or the like kept any punk attitude.

Agree to a certain extent. The term kinda drifted beyond its original meaning for sure. In the case of Duran Duran and Tears For Fears they did exhibit some punk guitar moves on their first two albums.

Bands like ABC and Spandau Ballet, they were what's now called New Romantic and Sophisti-pop. I honestly don't know how those styles weaseled their way into the new wave scene but everyone seems to consider them new wave these days.

Orignally new wave referred to punk rock itself so the term continued to expand past its original parameters which is what makes it so confusing for everyone!

Why are Dexys Midnight Runners new wave and U2 not?

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:48

Can you name a few? 

Lady Pank  (PL) -  Lady Pank  (1983)
 Maanam  (PL)  -  Nocny Patrol  (1984)

But almost the best of these albums are the Polish vocals/lyrics, among other things suprisingly dissident.

Edited by David_D - May 24 2023 at 17:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 13:26
^ listened to Maanam recently. Found the debut at least to be more post-punk than new wave sounding

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 13:50
Never been a fan of punk rock and connected attitudes ( sniffin' glue, safety pin, pogo-ing, spiting/vomiting at other attendees during gigs or simply paying priced tix for 1/2h long concert)
But the post punk era and the following 'new-wave' brought their share of good surprises :

The Chameleons : Script of the bridge (with its so prog-like cover art)
Japan : Tin drum
Japan : Gentlemen take polaroids
Magazine : Secondhand daylight
Magazine : The correct use of soap
XTC : Drums and Wires
XTC : English Settlement
XTC : Black Sea
Joy Division : Closer
Joy Division : Atmosphere (EP)
The Comsat Angels : Sleep no more
Talking Heads : Fear of music
Talking Heads : Remain in light
Eyeless in Gaza : Caught in flux
Echo and The Bunnymen : Crocodile
Echo and The Bunnymen : Heaven up here
Echo and The Bunnymen : Porcupine
A Certain Ratio : Sextet ( with the single Knives slit water)
Gang of Four : Solid Gold ( with the killer 'Paralyzed)   
The Durutti Column : LC
Ultravox : Vienna
Ultravox : Vienna EP with Herr X
Lot were from Manchester and belonged to The Factory

I still have some and give them a spin from time to time

Edited by mellotronwave - May 25 2023 at 07:58
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 14:11

^ listened to Maanam recently. Found the debut at least to be more post-punk than new wave sounding

I don't know the debut album, but on RYM it's also tagged Post-Punk as first priority and New Wave as second.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 14:56

But two great posts of yours to clarify "New Wave", siLLy puPPy, my big thanks. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:10

Lady Pank  (PL) -  Lady Pank  (1983)
 Maanam  (PL)  -  Nocny Patrol  (1984)

But almost the best of these albums are the Polish vocals/lyrics, among other things suprisingly dissident.
Even the title of Nocny Patrol, which means Night Patrol, and maybe the artwork too, refers to the time of martial law 
introduced in Poland in the beginning of 1980s with the purpose of oppressing Solidarnosc, the free trade union and 
political movement. - But what is most supprising is the fact that it was not only possible to get these albums released, 
but also to sell in very large numbers.

Edited by David_D - May 25 2023 at 14:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 17:25

I don't know the debut album, but on RYM it's also tagged Post-Punk as first priority and New Wave as second.

RYM is superior to PA in many ways but one of its weaknesses is that anybody can tag any album and i've found quite a few mistagged albums the debut by Maanam being one of them. I guess if you really stretch it it's new wave but to me it was too raw and should only be post-punk.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 00:21

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'll admit I use New Wave / Post-Punk as the genre and have little to no idea where one is supposed to draw the genre line. 
It can certainly be difficult for me too to draw the exact line between these two genres, and some albums I might also label with both.

But I see New Wave as more Pop-influenced than Post-Punk, and Post-Punk more similar to Art-Rock.

You're not wrong but Talking Heads and Devo are archtypical american New Wave - and certainly not the poppiest. It's primarely their quirky weirdness-factor that make them New Wave - while it's the pop-element (and occasional synths) that counts the most for a band like Blondie. Different rules for differnt bands really. Early Elvis Costello is unmistakably rock, although a sort of brainy one.  

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 25 2023 at 00:54
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 07:09

^ Anyway, where to exactly draw the line between New Wave and Post-Punk, like in many other cases, that's a matter of taste.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 07:15

^ Anyway, where to exactly draw the line between New Wave and Post-Punk, like in many other cases, that's a matter of taste.
I've decided that I don't have to draw a line.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2023 at 12:35

Do you think, siLLy puPPy, the artwork of Maanam's Nocny Patrol can refer to the time of martial law in Poland 
where many people were killed? The album title (as told in earlier post) and about half of the songs do.

Edited by David_D - May 26 2023 at 04:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>