Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why aren't The Flaming Lips on prog archives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:34
If Talking Heads, Mercury Rev, Radiohead, The Beatles, Iron Maiden, Miles Davis, Black Sabbath and Oingo Boingo are on the site...
Then why not XTC and Flaming Lips?

Let's not split hairs. Let this be THE place for progressive rock.

I love Progarchives but this needs fixing...
The Prog Corner
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:55
^ those bands are prog related and Flaming Lips is not
In fact i'd love to get rid of prog related altogether
It dilutes from the true prog experience
Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo shouldn't be here at all
Beatles, Sabbath are proto-prog
I've found nothing about Flaming Lips to warrant their inclusion
Experimental indie pop doesn't make prog

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 07:59
One of the litmus tests for true "prog" is the presence of snobbery LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 10:55
If the Flaming Lips meet this criteria then they they should be included or at least considered. People just saying they are prog means nothing.....proof is in the chocolate pudding.
I'm not sure I have ever heard one of their songs, just wayyyyy too much other music to listen to....Aren't they some kind of pop music band??

Edited by Catcher10 - August 28 2023 at 10:55
scouser14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scouser14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 12:52
Oh gosh, NO! They are anything but just a 'pop band'! They are very experimental, and for me, one of the best bands of the last 25+ years (and I am a die-hard prog fan from Genesis, Crimson, Gong, Canterbury, to Twelfth Night, Pendragon, IQ, Riverside, Lifesigns etc etc).

Seeing as you've never listened to anything from them, may I suggest, 'When We Die, When We're High', 'Mother Please Don't Be Sad' (Floydish vibe) and 'Brother Eye' from their latest 'American Head' album. Also, 'All We Have Is Now' and 'Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia) from the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots' album..... for starters... but then both albums are absolutely brilliant throughout :) 

(and like any great music, give 'em a few listens) 

If you do give them a shot, 'd be interested in your thoughts after listening to them.

cheers.
I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 13:14
Originally posted by scouser14 scouser14 wrote:

Oh gosh, NO! They are anything but just a 'pop band'! They are very experimental, and for me, one of the best bands of the last 25+ years (and I am a die-hard prog fan from Genesis, Crimson, Gong, Canterbury, to Twelfth Night, Pendragon, IQ, Riverside, Lifesigns etc etc).

Seeing as you've never listened to anything from them, may I suggest, 'When We Die, When We're High', 'Mother Please Don't Be Sad' (Floydish vibe) and 'Brother Eye' from their latest 'American Head' album. Also, 'All We Have Is Now' and 'Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia) from the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots' album..... for starters... but then both albums are absolutely brilliant throughout :) 

(and like any great music, give 'em a few listens) 

If you do give them a shot, 'd be interested in your thoughts after listening to them.

cheers.
I'm currently listening to the songs posted on page 1. Yea for sure a ton of CAN influence (btw CAN fooking rulez in my book!!). But what I'm hearing is just a lot of psych music, which in itself is not progressive to me, at least not enough to be listed here as a prog band.
I'm not part of any team that makes these decisions, just my opinion. I'm not a big fan of psych music, I love Pink Floyd, but really don't care for Piper and Saucer much at all for example.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 14:54
They don't do much for me personally. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I just don't care much for their sound. However, that's not a reason for me to say they shouldn't be on here. Also, even though they might not be proper prog they should still be considered since there's a lot on here that isn't "proper prog" imo.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 03:17
I'm not a fan of the band by any stretch, but having listened to a lot of RIO, I fail to see why not to include them. There's a lot of RIO releases which IMHO are only considered prog because of the level of experimentation. TFL certainly are experimental, they're firmly rooted in Rock with a lot of electronic elements, psychedelic and space leanings as well. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 04:05
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You can suggest them for inclusion via the Suggest New Bands section of the forum.

This Thumbs Up

As they have released new music since their last evaluation, they can be looked into again. 
So instead of complaining why they are not on PA, write a biography, post listening links (to prove your point why they should be here), band photo, make sure you find a subgenre that suits them. 

Edited by Cristi - August 29 2023 at 04:08
scouser14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scouser14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 11:18
Where exactly am I 'complaining'??? I was asking a genuine question, to which there might have been a rational answer I wasn't aware of. May I suggest you consider more measured responses to people simply asking a question?

Edited by scouser14 - August 29 2023 at 11:20
I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 11:53

Where exactly am I 'complaining'??? I was asking a genuine question, to which there might have been a rational answer I wasn't aware of. May I suggest you consider more measured responses to people simply asking a question?

Sorry, but your question sound more like a reproach than a "genuine" one. Confused
The rational answer is suggest the artist, see what happens. 
scouser14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scouser14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:09
then may I suggest you give people not familiar with the site the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions? I didn't even know there was a process for suggesting new artists. Now I do.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:15

then may I suggest you give people not familiar with the site the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions? I didn't even know there was a process for suggesting new artists. Now I do.

OK. 
Navigate the site a bit and the forum, get used to it all. Smile
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 12:20

You joined 18 years ago and you're still not familiar with the site?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
scouser14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scouser14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 13:29
yes... is that too difficult a concept to grasp? I mainly read reviews and look at discographies, and as you will see (if you look), I've rarely EVER used the forums until this post. 

And I really didn't expect people to accuse me of complaining- or people to diss me for being a long term member and not having their level of site knowledge either! I expected it to be a site where fellow prog fans are cordial, helpful and don't judge people without any real reason to do so. 

So I asked a legitimate question and don't have adequate site knowledge.... does that really mean I should be subjected to flippant comments?

Edited by scouser14 - August 29 2023 at 13:41
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 13:37
^ Ok. Now I understand. I didn't mean to offend you, sorry.

Greetings from Poland!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 17:34
Flaming Lips refers to some of the posts here LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 17:59
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

LOLLOLClap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2023 at 18:14

LOLLOLLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2023 at 03:35

^ those bands are prog related and Flaming Lips is not

In fact i'd love to get rid of prog related altogether
It dilutes from the true prog experience
Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo shouldn't be here at all
Beatles, Sabbath are proto-prog
I've found nothing about Flaming Lips to warrant their inclusion
Experimental indie pop doesn't make prog

Oingo should not be here, that's for sure. However, there area few  other bands who don't belong before I'd go excluding Talking Heads, though.Geek

Indeed, I've revisited their more iconic 90/00's albums like Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, Transmissions, Clouds taste and found nothing to warrant a PA inclusion, even as Related. However, their latest American Head seems drenched in mellotron, though, as if they've just discovered it. 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>