Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Indie?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 15:47
Shudder To Think were pretty artsy and progressive for an indie band.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 21:34
Mansun

Dean wrote the bio
https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5082

Mansun biography
MANSUN were an English Indie band from Chester whose brief three album career in the late 1990s could be regarded as the stalled beginnings of a resurgence in Progressive Rock in the mainstream (that has more recently been termed New Prog as a general catch-all for bands that have definite Indie/Alt Rock foundations but acknowledge Progressive Music as a source of influence and inspiration). Following on closely from RADIOHEAD in terms of success and recognition their debut album "Attack Of The Grey Lantern" entered the British album charts at number one on its release and with its conceptual story-line and self-revealing hidden track ('An Open Letter To The Lyrical Trainspotter') it quickly established itself as a favourite with fans as an album to discuss and debate at length.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 22:37
Originally posted by Criswell Criswell wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Anything can happen.  How about "prog country & western?"  Dixie Dregs is all I've got!

I could almost put the Marshall Tucker band in that category...particularly their early albums...

Man, that Toy Caldwell was one amazing guitarist!!  Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Golden Mean View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 02:42
The music of Iamthemorning could be another good example of "progressive indie-rock" Smile

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 08:42
^that's more progressive chamber pop

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'851cbce3297467ca',t:'MTcwNzMyMDQ5NC42NjIwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 08:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^that's more progressive chamber pop
Certainly not 'Rock' in the classic sense of it, but their tunes aren't all that pop either, in my opinion.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 09:02
^ some of their albums are more chamber pop, some chamber folk

I'm not really sure where the term alternative rock yields to indie but many bands like Mansun are more referred to as progressive alternative rock or progressive Britpop of all things :D

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'851cd88cfa222524',t:'MTcwNzMyMTYyNy43NjgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 09:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ some of their albums are more chamber pop, some chamber folk

I'm not really sure where the term alternative rock yields to indie but many bands like Mansun are more referred to as progressive alternative rock or progressive Britpop of all things :D
Regretfully, the good ol' term 'pop-rock' has nearly gone extinct. Add 'progressive' and 'indie', and that might be a label for Iamthemorning.
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 09:42
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

The massively popular genre that is Indie must have some prog in its right?

Do you know of any progressive indie bands? (Or maybe even discuss whether it should be added as a subgenre?)

Well, The Dear Hunter is certainly one, and probably the most popular of this kind of subgenre. Same goes for Mew and Vylet Pony (though they are less indie rock and more indie pop) and maybe even King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard & Thee Oh Sees.

Additionally that new Glass Beach record that came out last month could be considered indie prog.

Edited by Dapper~Blueberries - February 07 2024 at 09:44
D~B
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 10:18
By the way "Indie" is an even worse genre label than "Prog" and that means something. I have heard such a lot of utterly boring and cliched Indie rock, to the extent that I sometimes tend to think whatever has anything interesting in it really should be ruled out from being called "Indie" by definition. Although what I know of what has been mentioned in this thread is certainly good stuff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 10:22
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

By the way "Indie" is an even worse genre label than "Prog" and that means something. I have heard such a lot of utterly boring and cliched Indie rock, to the extent that I sometimes tend to think whatever has anything interesting in it really should be ruled out from being called "Indie" by definition. Although what I know of what has been mentioned in this thread is certainly good stuff.

For sure. I don't know why these terms stick when they lose their original meanings. There is a distinct "indie" sound though for many of the bands labeled as such. Sort of out of tune and just slightly off if that makes any sense.

Agree with Dapper about Glass Beach. New indie prog rock that should be here.

For(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'851d4dcdad3967f5',t:'MTcwNzMyNjQzMC40MTYwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 11:08
The Pineapple Thief and Gazpacho (and even some of the middle period Porcupine Tree) seem to have alternative influences but I'm not sure about Indie. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 07 2024 at 11:09
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Mean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 11:43
New Jersey's Moon Rabbit Retreat nicely blends indie elements with a progressive rock style. They really couldn't be labelled as crossover prog or post-pock. These New Jerseyans are exactly that: a progressive indie-rock band. Their 23-minute-long EP should be listened to in its entirety.

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 17:14
Midlake ?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 21:39
The Dear Hunter sounds more like prog pop meets emo/pop punk to me. Though I guess there's somewhat of an indie vibe. When I think of "indie" nowadays, my brain immediately goes to more of the shoegaze-type stuff.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 10:33
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Midlake ?

Maybe also Wilco and Sufjan Stevens.
Xeroth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xeroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 22:17
I've been thinking about this too. Most are probably related but still don't feel terribly proggy as the genre sits. I agree with some mentioning The Decemberists. One of my favorite alternative-folk indie artists is Radical Face. The concepts and unusual structures makes many of the songs feel progressive. Especially The Family Tree trilogy. The most recent production also is experimental and creative. Prog Folk maybe?

I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 06:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Midlake ?

Maybe also Wilco and Sufjan Stevens.

Neither are progressive rock. Art rock yes but no prog. We rejected Sufjan not too long ago.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'852c5602eb86944c',t:'MTcwNzQ4NDA1My4wNTEwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 07:00
^Sufjan is currently undergoing evaluation in Prog Folk with two Yes votes. 🙂

Speaking of "progressive indie", we still need to hear your thoughts on AUA, Mike.

Edited by Gordy - February 09 2024 at 07:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 07:17
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

^Sufjan is currently undergoing evaluation in Prog Folk with two Yes votes. 🙂

Speaking of "progressive indie", we still need to hear your thoughts on AUA, Mike.

Well personally i find nothing progressive about him. Art rock / art folk isn't progressive.
I've not seen one other source that indicates he's progressive and i've heard most of his albums personally and don't find him even remotely progressive. I'll get to AUA when i get to it. Everything has been hectic and focusing on team duties has not been a priority.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'852cb9c719b8fa36',t:'MTcwNzQ4ODEzOS40ODcwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>