Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Are You Reading Right Now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 05:42
Essays by Michel De Montaigne
(28 February 1533 – 13 September 1592), Michel de Montaigne, was a philosopher of the French Renaissance. He is known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 06:21
Lifting Shadows, the “official” biography of Dream Theater. Really enjoying it, learning much I didn’t know about the early days …..
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 10:02
Like most I have favorite authors and series.....right now reading the newest from Christopher Fowler in the Bryant and May : Peculiar Cime Unit Series. Its called London Bridge Is Falling Down. 
Wonderful contemporary murder mysteries set in London concerning odd quirky cases.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 19 2024 at 10:04
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 02:27
Currently on loan from Nottingham's brand new Central Library:-

Abyss - The Cuban Missile Crisis 1962 - by Max Hastings
The Age of Jihad - Islamic State and the Great War for the Middle East - by Patrick Cockburn
Books Do Furnish a Life - Reading and Writing Science - by Richard Dawkins
The Briefing - Politics, the Press and the President - by Sean Spicer
Boris Johnson - The Rise and Fall of a Troublemaker at Number 10 - by Andrew Gimson
Fall and Rise - The Story of 9/11 - by Mitchell Zuckoff
Never Grow Up - by Jackie Chan
A Passion for Poison - Schoolboy, Poisoner, Serial Killer - by Carol Ann Lee
One Party After Another - The Disruptive Life of Nigel Farage - by Michael Crick
What I Learnt - by Jeremy Vine
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Age of Jihad - Islamic State and the Great War for the Middle East - by Patrick Cockburn
Boris Johnson - The Rise and Fall of a Troublemaker at Number 10 - by Andrew Gimson
One Party After Another - The Disruptive Life of Nigel Farage - by Michael Crick

How do you have time to read all these as well as listening to all the music that you say you do?!! If you’re this good at multitasking may I suggest that you reveal your true identity…..as Psychedelic Pauline😲😀🤷🏼🤨😊
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:31

Cockburn's book was eye-opening.  I've read several of Richard Dawkins's publications, but not that particular book.  The Boris Johnson book is buried in my to-be-read pile.  I'd like to understand Farage more. I've often wondered if he is genuinely concerned about the people of the UK.Wink 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:39
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

How do you have time to read all these as well as listening to all the music that you say you do?!! If you’re this good at multitasking may I suggest that you reveal your true identity…..as Psychedelic Pauline😲😀🤷🏼🤨😊
Having a pile of good books to read gives me something to do while I'm listening to music. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:40

Some time ago, we established that most of Paul's album ratings are based on a single listen (or significantly less if he doesn't like it), whilst reading Volume 4 of Gibbon's Decline and Fall and watching Countdown with the sound off... Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:44
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Cockburn's book was eye-opening.  I've read several of Richard Dawkins's publications, but not that particular book.  The Boris Johnson book is buried in my to-be-read pile.  I'd like to understand Farage more. I've often wondered if he is genuinely concerned about the people of the UK.Wink 
The only Richard Dawkins book I own is The God Delusion, which I imagine would be about as popular as a mad mullah officiating at a bar-mitzvah in the USA's Bible-Belt states. Tongue 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 21 2024 at 05:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 05:50
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Some time ago, we established that most of Paul's album ratings are based on a single listen (or significantly less if he doesn't like it), whilst reading Volume 4 of Gibbon's Decline and Fall and watching Countdown with the sound off... Wink
My album ratings for prog polls are often not even based on a single listen, but just listening to snippets of albums, and when it comes to Countdown, I only watch it (with the sound off) mainly to see lovely Carol Vorderman, and besides, I'm hopeless at the numbers game anyway. Tongue
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 06:00
^^ I'm the other way round... I'm not sure how many times during my life, I've listened to Wish You Were Here, but it's on again as I speak, just to see if I've missed anything... LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 08:03
Brittiskt Allehanda  - Litterära Strövtåg - Håkan Anderson (2017)
The Awakening - Nora Roberts (2020)
All of the Marvels - Douglas Wolk (2021)
The Sacred History  Jonathan Black (2013)
The Very Pointless Quiz Book - Armstrong/Osman (2014)  
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 12:10
"Milestones - the Music and Times of Miles Davis" -   Jack Chambers
before that:
"The Monkees, 'Head', and the 60s"   -   Peter Mills
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 17:01
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

Just finished reading this and although it is supposedly about how McCartney coped with the breakup of the Beatles, and the formation of Wings, it tends to be more about Linda and her relationship with Paul.

The author admits that she initially was going to ghost write a biography about Linda and eventually formed a close ( according to the author) relationship with Linda over the course of a number of interviews with her.

Apparently Paul stymied the idea of releasing that book with the justification (according to the author)  that there was "only one star in the family".

So this book is perhaps overly sympathetic towards Linda and a bit less so with Paul.

At any rate, the author got to write her book, and probably got a lot more interest in it by framing it as being about Paul.

Thanks, I'm through about 7 chapters so far. Quite a lot of revelations and I'm learning all sorts of stuff about the music industry (ie ghost musicians on albums/singles that went uncredited) as well as Linda and Paul's relationship. She also defends a lot of what he did after the Beatles and also debunks the myth that Decca turned down The Beatles. Fun 'read' (although I'm doing the audio book version!)
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2024 at 20:47

Even though this book is 600 pages and only covers UK prog from the (for the most part early) seventies, it still can't, by the authors own admission cover every group of that era. But it still manages to cover a lot of ground.

It starts of sort of chronologically and then goes on to give each featured group a chapter, which allows the reader to skip over artists they are not interested in if they so choose, with some diversions into fashion, politics and sundry other topics.  

Sure, as always with this kind of topic there might well be things that some readers might not agree with, however it is very well researched, and includes a lot of first-hand interviews with some big players in prog. It's worth the slog for those interested in the formative years of classic UK prog. 

Edited by Hugh Manatee - February 22 2024 at 20:50
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 04:39
VG book
Easy to read even for a non english native
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 10:51

My album ratings for prog polls are often not even based on a single listen, but just listening to snippets of albums, and when it comes to Countdown, I only watch it (with the sound off) mainly to see lovely Carol Vorderman, and besides, I'm hopeless at the numbers game anyway. Tongue

I literally don’t know where to start……

🤣🤣🤣
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:00
All I ever do is read the introductions and look at the pictures. By the time I'm done with the pictures, I have to go to the bathroom.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:12

I literally don’t know where to start……

🤣🤣🤣
You could start with Countdown. Smile

mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 15:10
:-)

Edited by mellotronwave - February 23 2024 at 15:12
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>