Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Prog really a genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 09:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Thread opened by a troll, banned already, 

Ah right, sorry. I didn't realise. 
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:19
Back in the late 60s (yes - I date back that far), the term "progressive" was used to describe music that didn't conform to the classical 3 minute pop song. It could be because the tracks were longer and more complex,  showed more musical virtuosity or had a wider range of instruments than the standard drums/bass/rhythm guitar/lead guitar/vocals so prevalent in many bands.
There was never any suggestion that the music actually needed to evolve and change over time, though it did as more bands experimented with different approaches.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Philibert Philibert wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ To paraphrase your question: How can bands A and B be in the same genre when there are differences between them? The answer is obvious.
But isn't the chasm between Trespass and Led Zeppelin III too wide!?

Led Zeppelin are not a prog band.

I would suggest that some tracks, like Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven, are very definitely progressive, even if all their output is not. 
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:39
Of course it is

Does everyone saying NO to this question really even know what the definition of GENRE is?

gen·re

(zhän′rə)n.
a. A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content: "his six String Quartets ... the most important works in the genre since Beethoven's" (Time).
b. A realistic style of painting that depicts scenes from everyday life.
2. A type or class: "Emaciated famine victims ... on television focused a new genre of attention on the continent"

If prog wasn't a genre there would be tag for it, there would be no PA

Perhaps it began as a subgenre of rock but has blossomed into an entire universe of its own making

If prog is not a category of artistic composition then i don't know what is

YES IT'S A GENRE!

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8590c3e25f137e21',t:'MTcwODUzNzEyOS40MTYwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 10:44
To me it is but I understand not everyone agrees and that's ok. Also, since wikipedia says this "Progressive rock (shortened as prog rock or simply prog) is a broad genre of rock music[8] " that's good enough for me. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 21 2024 at 13:33
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 11:41
Yes. If I say I listen to Prog, that tells most people with a slight interest in music... something. It's vague and can mean a lot of differnt things. Similar to stating: I listen to Jazz or I listen to Metal. Which can be everything from Peter Brötzmann to Al Jarreau - or Cryptopsy to Queensrÿche.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 12:38
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Of course it is

[COLOR=#990000]Does everyone saying NO to this question really even know what the definition of GENRE is?

The 3-point definition you cited sucks, is incomplete, and doesn't apply to progressive rock music.

Of course if you'd adjust your settings so one could read your post through the mass of words, shapes, symbols and colors, it would help.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 12:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Of course it is

[COLOR=#990000]Does everyone saying NO to this question really even know what the definition of GENRE is?

The 3-point definition you cited sucks, is incomplete, and doesn't apply to progressive rock music.

Of course if you'd adjust your settings so one could read your post through the mass of words, shapes, symbols and colors, it would help.

Why are you color blind? Are you unable to distinguish words from meaningless code that is generated by a dinosaur website that the owner refuses to upgrade?

Are you unable to comprehend the definition laid out by dictionaries?

It seems your interpretation is what sucks.

And i doubt anybody really cares what you think.

The rest of the English speaking world has defined what a genre is regardless if you choose to accept it or not.

Wh(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85918c4cfb51969b',t:'MTcwODU0NTMzOC41MTgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();
< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:03
Could it be any more f**king obvious? Duh

Merriam-Webster definition:
: a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content
a classic of the gothic novel genre
: kind, sort
: painting that depicts scenes or events from everyday life usually realistically

Cambridge dictionary definition:

genre
noun [ C ]
  formal us /ˈʒɑːn.rə/ uk /ˈʒɑ̃ː.rə/ /ˈʒɒn.rə/
What genre does the book fall into - comedy or tragedy?

Dictionary.com definition:

genre

[ zhahn-ruh; French zhahn-ruh ]
See synonyms for: genregenres on Thesaurus.com

noun,plural gen·res [zhahn-ruhz; French zhahn-ruh].
  1. a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like: the genre of epic poetry; the genre of symphonic music.

2. Fine Arts.

• paintings in which scenes of everyday life form the subject matter.

• a realistic style of painting using such subject matter.

1. genus; kind; sort; style.

adjective
  1. Fine Arts. of or relating to genre.

2. of or relating to a distinctive literary type.

Collins Dictionary definition:

genre

(ʒɒnrə IPA Pronunciation Guide )
Word forms: genres pluralcountable noun
A genre is a particular type of literature, painting, music, film, or other art form which people consider as a class because it has special characteristics.
[formal]
...his love of films and novels in the horror genre.

Britannica Dictionary definition:

genre /ˈʒɑːnrə/ noun
plural genres
Britannica Dictionary definition of GENRE
[count]

: a particular type or category of literature or art
  • a literary/film/musical genre
  • This book is a classic of the mystery genre.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'859197229919d001',t:'MTcwODU0NTc4Mi4yNzUwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:35
^ There's a difference between "is Prog really a genre" and "does genres really exist?" - It's like you're answering questions that nobody's asking.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:38
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ There's a difference between "is Prog really a genre" and "does genres really exist?" - It's like you're answering questions that nobody's asking.

WTF are you talking about?

The definition of a genre CEMENTS the fact that prog IS a genre.

If you or anyone can't see such an obvious conclusion i really don't know how to respond LOL

Maybe brush up on your logic skills?

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8591c7811b6bf973',t:'MTcwODU0Nzc2My41MDMwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:49
@siLLy puPPy Dude, the whole topic was opened by a troll whose all forum posts (including the topic starter) were removed. You're basically "yelling at a cloud" a this point.

Yeah, I admit, I took the troll's cheap bait. But none of us is forced to continue this discussion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Hrychu - February 21 2024 at 13:53
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 13:57
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

@siLLy puPPy Dude, the whole topic was opened by a troll whose all forum posts (including the topic starter) were removed. You're basically "yelling at a cloud" a this point.

Yeah, I admit, I took the troll's cheap bait. But none of us is forced to continue this discussion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No i'm pointing out the obvious to all those who took the bait and are claiming that prog isn't a genre.

Who cares who started the thread. It has no life unless other infuse essence into it.

I'm simply pointing out an obvious point that many seem to overlook.

If the thread was detrimental to the site in any way then it would've been taken down.

It's a legit question. Is prog a real genre?

By the very definition of what a genre is in the English language, i proved beyond a reasonable doubt that prog IS a genre.

So how is that yelling? I call it stating a case with airtight evidence.

Adding an F bomb is just something that is fun to show the ridiculousness of censorship on this site :D

Case closed. The jury has deliberated. Everyone can go home now and take a chill pill. Ahhh

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8591e9a40d389452',t:'MTcwODU0OTE2MS43MDEwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 21 2024 at 13:59

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:09

If you or anyone can't see such an obvious conclusion i really don't know how to respond LOL

No one needs you copying and pasting the definition of "genre" from the dictionary. It doesn't answer the spesific question. Which - trollaccount or not - obviously means to challenge whether Prog is a meaningful term for a genre. I mean my answer is yes too, but we always disagree that prog is or isn't. So I can understand where such a question is coming from.

-Btw: Are you as hot headed in real life as on PA?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:22

[QUOTE=siLLy puPPy]
Of course it is

Of course if you'd adjust your settings so one could read your post through the mass of words, shapes, symbols and colors, it would help.[/QUOTE[/B
Why are you color blind? Are you unable to distinguish words from meaningless code that is generated by a dinosaur website that the owner refuses to upgrade

So it's someone else's fault, as usual.   Of course it is.

Colorblind?   No I perceive color quite well, but citing & responding to your post is almost impossible--    I assume this is not by design or an urge to discourage others' from responding to you, but rather unwillingness.   Or laziness.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
MicroscopicLad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MicroscopicLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:23
Genesis, Yes, ELP and Jethro Tull might be in one box called Prog. But people label Tangerine Dream as prog as well. Could Tangerine Dream and, e.g., Jethro Tull be in the same genre? Hmmm.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:25

[QUOTE=siLLy puPPy]
Of course it is

Of course if you'd adjust your settings so one could read your post through the mass of words, shapes, symbols and colors, it would help.[/QUOTE[/B
Why are you color blind? Are you unable to distinguish words from meaningless code that is generated by a dinosaur website that the owner refuses to upgrade

So it's someone else's fault, as usual.   Of course it is.

Colorblind?   No I perceive color quite well, but citing & responding to your post is almost impossible--    I assume this is not by design or an urge to discourage others' from responding to you, but rather unwillingness.   Or laziness.

I would say that it's incumbent upon you to muster up the creativity to be able to respond to anyone's post. What a ridiculous claim that someone didn't format a post to your liking and that you find it too difficult to respond to. Do you comprehend how ludicrous that sounds? It's f**king hilarious LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85920dfc9abe1679',t:'MTcwODU1MDY1MC40MzgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})(); < style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:29

No one needs you copying and pasting the definition of "genre" from the dictionary. It doesn't answer the spesific question. Which - trollaccount or not - obviously means to challenge whether Prog is a meaningful term for a genre. I mean my answer is yes too, but we always disagree that prog is or isn't. So I can understand where such a question is coming from.

-Btw: Are you as hot headed in real life as on PA?

Not sure why you're spinning your wheels asking questions that have been answered decades ago. Obviously some who responded here needed a basic dictionary definition because some of the comments exemplified the fact they didn't comprehend the definition at a basic level.

Sometimes a simple inference from a basic definition is all you need to solve a mystery, not a multitude of circuitous arguments that never point out the obvious.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8592127efcb51679',t:'MTcwODU1MDgzNS4xNTUwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:31

I would say that it's incumbent upon you to muster up the creativity to be able to respond to anyone's post. What a ridiculous claim that someone didn't format a post to your liking and that you find it too difficult to respond to. Do you comprehend how ludicrous that sounds? It's f**king hilarious LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85920dfc9abe1679',t:'MTcwODU1MDY1MC40MzgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();
< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">
[/QUOTE]

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 14:38
My intuition tells me Tangerine Dream has no common elements with like Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant and so on. But IMHO it's in the PA database mainly because of two reasons:
1. Prog fans love TD (as well Klown Schulze and other Progressive Electronic artists) in general, so they mutually agreed to get it added to the database out of pure admiration
2. It shares some common historical roots with other prog rock acts
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>