Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtodd rundgren’s utopia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 22:57
The first record is brutal.

They never got back there due to personel changes.

John Wilcox was a meat and potatos player who had no business sitting in
the same chair as the wonderful Kevin Ellman.

Ditto for Kasim Sultan for John Seigler.

And then the crowning disaster.... trying to replace Moogy, M. Frog
and ???(sh*t I can't remember...) with that droll supergeek Roger Powell.

"Freedom Fighters" is one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded....

When Todds voice breaks in the last line of the pre-chorus....

It's on the same level as Peter's voice at the end of "The Lamia"...

Rock music doesn't get any better than that kids.

SM.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 21:38

OK ... New question on an old thread (yes, I'm scared of getting scolded)

What are your favourite albums by The Nazz, Todd Rundgren and Utopia?

... I've got 4 Utopia albums (the first three plus Swing To The Right), but only 2 Todd (Runt and A Wizard A True Star) plus a compile and no Nazz ... and my Top 3 is obvious

Utopia, Ra and A Wizard, A True Star ... I'm wondering if anyone with more experience of Todd's music has  a Top 5 or Top 10 ... or have I already heard the best stuff?

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 22:18

Todd is one of my all time favorites...he has a huge back catalog, and I have much of it (if you want to hear a band having fun, get the utopia-I forget the title-where they reproduce, note for not, classic songs by the beach boys, beatles, etc). If you want Todd prog, I would recommend the Initiation album...if you have Steve Hillage's 'L' you will notice a distinct similarity, since Todd produced that release and he sometimes exerts a heavy hand when producing.

His new one, Liars, is very very good...a real (and intelligent) attack on lies in general, and the christian right in particular. I don't know if I could choose a favorite album, but my top five would definitely include Hermit of Mink Hollow, Healing (another one with some very good, looong songs), Tortured Artist Effect, Acapella, and Initiation. But then, I could probably name 5 others I like just as much. Saw him live on the Acapella tour (and met him to give him a painting), and it was awesome.

If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
Lorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:08
Originally posted by kenmeyerjr kenmeyerjr wrote:

Todd is one of my all time favorites...he has a huge back catalog, and I have much of it (if you want to hear a band having fun, get the utopia-I forget the title-where they reproduce, note for not, classic songs by the beach boys, beatles, etc). 

The album is entitled 'Faithful'  One side of the album is cover tunes originally done by the Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Yardbirds and a couple others that are eluding me.  The other side of the album are original Todd tunes.  Good ones too.  'Real Man' and 'Boogies - Hamburger Hell' are two of my favorites on this side.
Album has to be one of my favorite Rundgren LP's

1.  Utopia
2.  Initiation
3.  Faithful
4.  Wizard
5.  Todd
6.  Hermit
7.  Ra
8.  Nazz, Nazz
9.  Runt

Another Live Utopia is a huge step back.  Actually, ten steps back.  Very Disappointing.

Two heads are better than one, but if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but better safe than sorry.
Look before you leap, but he who hesitates is lost
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 23:41

I do think Another Live has its moments but yes, I can imagine how disappointing it must have been to someone who'd heard the first Utopia album and wanted to check it out ...

Interesting that lots of people don't seem to rate Ra, and opinion seems to be divided on Initiation (and  I suppose A Treatise On Cosmic Fire) ...

I do feel that some of the stuff could have done with editing, even (gasp) The Ikon

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 18:08
Ha, Treatise is my favorite part of that record, though I love the other songs as well. Place that next to a couple of the tracks of Hillage's 'L' and you will see a pretty similar sound.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 18:59
In the late Seventies a friend advised me the album Ra  , he said "if you love prog this will be something for you". Well, it was!! In the same year I witnessed Todd Rundgren's Utopia on the German television (WDR Rockpalast, 1977), if you are lucky you can download it from Internet, what a splendid conert, the best progrock he ever made!
Wizard/TRueStar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 18:39

Yeah for real, now a real topic!!

Todd is godd, dogg. A Wizard/A True Star is  my all time favorite and it will go to the grave w/me (I buy every copy I see on vinyl so my casket will be made out of them).  I had the chance to see him twice and the first (even though his voice was more in shape the 2nd time) is one of the most vivid experiences in my life that I can remember!

The TR's UTOPIA album is real gem & it has 2 distinct things about it that make it sentimental for me: 1st the music & 2nd this is the album that helped me discover the archives

"Another Live" sometimes I love almost as much.  It is a brilliant mix of new material (...all we need is the seven rays!!!!!!!!!!!!) and a better version of Heavy metal kids + a great Just one victory (so it ends w/the same fuzzy feeling as AWATS) & a better Something's Coming (yes, I 'm going there) than YES did.

RA is UTOPIA 1.3's gem.  Singring is briliant (for a longer version get the last wave of the new wave riders box set).  I like everything else UTOPIA has done.  IT IS a different band w/a different purpose (the entry in the archives should add TR's at the begging of the title and remove everything after Another live) & once you see that this band is just as rewarding at times.  They definately make music for themselves (like Todd throughout his whole career)

My top todd's:

1 - AWATS

2 - Something/Anything

3 - Todd

4 - Initiation/Healing

5 - Runt/Runt:The Ballad...

6 - dude...........everthing else

Al I'm missing is the Individualist and 2 UTOPIA albums(this stuff is hard to find!)

I could rant forever on why he is godd (actually there is a web-site dedicated to him being god, lierally) but if you look for yourself you will benifit much more. So listen w/out prejudice and go ahead and dig deep into Todd, you will not be disappointed!

Edited by Wizard/TRueStar
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 18:51
Originally posted by Wizard/TRueStar Wizard/TRueStar wrote:

Todd is godd, dogg. A Wizard/A True Star is  my all time favorite and it will go to the grave w/me (I buy every copy I see on vinyl so my casket will be made out of them).  I had the chance to see him twice and the first (even though his voice was more in shape the 2nd time) is one of the most vivid experiences in my life that I can remember!

The TR's UTOPIA album is real gem & it has 2 distinct things about it that make it sentimental for me: 1st the music & 2nd this is the album that helped me discover the archives

"Another Live" sometimes I love almost as much.  It is a brilliant mix of new material (...all we need is the seven rays!!!!!!!!!!!!) and a better version of Heavy metal kids + a great Just one victory (so it ends w/the same fuzzy feeling as AWATS) & a better Something's Coming (yes, I 'm going there) than YES did.

RA is UTOPIA 1.3's gem.  Singring is briliant (for a longer version get the last wave of the new wave riders box set).  I like everything else UTOPIA has done.  IT IS a different band w/a different purpose (the entry in the archives should add TR's at the begging of the title and remove everything after Another live) & once you see that this band is just as rewarding at times.  They definately make music for themselves (like Todd throughout his whole career)

My top todd's:

1 - AWATS

2 - Something/Anything

3 - Todd

4 - Initiation/Healing

Al I'm missing is the Individualist and 2 UTOPIA albums(this stuff is hard to find!)

I could rant forever on why he is godd (actually there is a web-site dedicated to him being god, lierally) but if you look for yourself you will benifit much more. So listen w/out prejudice and go ahead and dig deep into Todd, you will not be disappointed!

This was my 650th post.

6+5+0=11

oooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooo!

I think I'm on to something. All the more reason to listen to Todd

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 19:28
First heard Todd Rundgren's Utopia about 10 years ago when it was played to me by an old roommate (same guy turned me on to Nektar as well). I only knew Todd from I Saw The Light and Hello, It's Me which I liked, but he whipped this out after we were discussing Yes, Rush, and Genesis. I said, "Well, what does THIS have to do with prog?". About 55 minutes later I was like, "Oh. That." Since then I've become a huge Rundgren fan, with my faves being this one, AWATS, Something/Anything?, Another Live, Runt, and Oops! Wrong Planet. Hell, I even like the Utopia stuff from the mid 80's.

Todd is Godd.

Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 19:40
Originally posted by Wizard/TRueStar Wizard/TRueStar wrote:

My top todd's:

1 - AWATS

2 - Something/Anything

3 - Todd

4 - Initiation/Healing

Great avatar!!

To be honest the only Rundgren albums I've ever owned were no's 1 & 2 on your list so as a novice I didn't do too bad! Saw him at Knebworth in 1979 on the bill with Led Zep. I have to say that AWATS remains in my top 10 all time albums. Sorry for the sycophancy, but he really is a true star. And as my good lady who is a big Meat Loaf fan told me, as well as producing he came up with the motorcycle sound effects on "Bat Out Of Hell"!!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 21:46
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 06:55
Can I recommend Todd's work with Steve Hillage. It's worth listening to, if you are a fan of both. Roger Powell's (of Utopia) solo material is also worth checking out.
UncleMeat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 08:08
Currently listening to  Todd Rundgren - Love is the answer. Until a few years ago, I only knew him from songs like 'Can we still be friends' and 'Mated'. Actually, I liked this songs and covers (by robert palmer) but did not realize that Todd also made a lot of more sophisticated music.
I found a live version from the track UTOPIA. Very awesom.
Music Is The Best
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 08:17
Originally posted by UncleMeat UncleMeat wrote:

I found a live version from the track UTOPIA. Very awesom.

If you mean the track Utopia Theme that kicks off the Todd Rundgren's Utopia album it is indeed awesome ... amazing that's it's live ... I don't think he ever did a studio version, since the album version is a live one (the rest of the album consists of studio recordings) ... I think it's outstanding work, and far more consistent than The Ikon or Singring (the other two major Utopia epics) ...

Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 08:27

'RA' is my absolute favourite UTOPIA album. It would be in my top 10 desert island discs. Not a weak track on it.

Trouble is, it all went downhill after 'RA'.

ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 08:40

I HAVE THE 1ST ALBUM. THE FIRST TIME  I LISTENED TO IT I'VE BEEN TAKEN ABACK!!!!!!!

GREAT PSYCH/PROG MASTERPIECE!

I LOVE MOOG.

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 09:04

'Ra' is one of my favourite albums.

I really get into 'Singring And The Glass Guitar'. I have played this 18-minute epic quite a few times on community radio!

"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Someo Therguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 20:09

I saw Utopia in the early 80's and they did something I've never seen before or since. At one point in the show, after finishing a song with the original arrangement of Todd (guitar vocal), Kasim (Bass, harmony), Roger (keys, harmony), and Willie (drums, harmaony), they changed positions. Kasim took the guitar and lead vocal, Todd - keys and harmony, Roger - drums and harmony, Willie - bass and harmony. After that song they switched again, then again. Each member of the band played each instrument and sang lead vocal and everyone sang harmony parts on an entire number. I was and have ever been a Rundgren fan.

Counting the shows with Utopia, I've seen Todd in concert 7 times and never been dissapointed. Say what you want about his penchant for pop hooks, the fact remains - when he wants to Todd can prog with the best of 'em.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 03:44

Originally posted by SlipperFink SlipperFink wrote:

And then the crowning disaster.... trying to replace Moogy, M. Frog
and ???(sh*t I can't remember...) with that droll supergeek Roger Powell.

Get Roger Powell's Cosmic Furnace and then you'll know why Todd wanted him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>