Topic ClosedReviews that Stand Out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 02:49
GENESIS And Then There Were Three...
Review by Larry Lanberg @ 9:47:03 PM EST, 8/16/2004

5 stars  —  If one is in a nostalgic mood, sipping chamomile tea and wants to pretend like they are in a Yes or Procol Harum concert of yesteryear this album is contraindicated. But if you want change pace and enjoy something moving - sometimes real peppy, and not at all boring, and just happens to have been recorded by Genesis then by all means crank this one up. The electrifying, fast-tempo "Down and Out" opens the Lp and actually is my favorite. No it isn't Peter Gabriel rehash but it is quite a distinctive rocker. Phil's drums are really, really swift on this and frankly I sometimes wonder whether Neal Peart of Rush had emulated his best style from this one song. Not saying it's true, I just don't know which came first. So a couple of the songs are a little insipid, but ALL fine rock albums have these parasites in them. Some hard-core Gabriel heads make fun of the short melody "Many too Many", but the louder you play this one the more it really knocks you on your *ss - whether you want to be on the ground or not. Short, pseudo-romantic but quite powerful. Play it loud...and do yourself a favor and just forget that it's 'supposed to be' long, drawn out and artsy-rehash. 'Cos it's not.

GENESIS Foxtrot progressive rock album and reviews GENESIS - Foxtrot
Review by Larry Lanberg @ 10:26:44 PM EST, 8/16/2004
3 stars  —   The most ingeniuous and original song these guys ever composed happens to open this 1972 Lp. "Watcher of the Skies". For some reason I think this number was written in a rather serendipitous manner - Tony and Mike not realizing the (future) musical impact of it. Let's be frank here, alot of Gabriel era Genesis seemed to be contrived mimicry of itself. 'Cos Peter wanted it that way. Therefore, "Watcher of the Skies" is truly remarkable. Electric, cosmic and just totally unique. And THIS is the only Rock track that one can be enveloped by a truly Astral mellotron piece...thanks to Mr. Banks. (Rick Wakeman? Robert Fripp? Heck no. This one is BOLD!) Actually the whole Lp has some of Genesis best Musical Compositions, riffs and solos. PROBLEM: the sound quality is thin as tissue paper. The louder you play it the more shrilly it sounds. It's a crying shame and I don't know why these guys let it slip through the cracks like this. (Time era is no excuse, for bands who were not yet well-equipped, in 1972, like J. Geils Band and Steve Miller Band were able to put forth really life-like sound recordings). Everybody raves about the 20+ minute "Supper's Ready." It's good. It's good. In spots anyway. That daisy-licking stuff that Peter keeps getting into, in the middle of otherwise captivating songs, does crop up unfortunately on this epic. Overall a quality track though. Oh, if only this album wasn't plagued by that negligence of recording production it would be a 15...on a scale of 10.

Sacrilege!! Only 3 stars for Foxtrot and 5 stars for ATTWT! I like both these reviews as Larry explains his views intellegently and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that production quality is important (although I gave Foxtrot 5 stars and ATTWT 4 stars when I reviewed them)  

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 05:52

my only quibble is that Steve Miller's production was actually pretty muddy right up to at least "Fly Like an Eagle" (1976). "Rock Love" is especially grungy, which is too bad because it was his last really interesting album. 

I'm off to lick daisies and drink some tea now!

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 15:46

Ah but who remembers Eliott's reviews of Renaissance albums? I suspect he thought they were too folksy and poppy, but why didn't he say so? (I suspect he fancied Annie Haslam really!Wink)

RENAISSANCE Ashes Are Burning
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 10:57:45 AM EST, 6/8/2004

1 stars  —  Like with all their albums - vocals are annoying, music is uninspired, too folksy and poppy, not progressive enough, long tracks lack development, instrumentally weak. Very Boring. Try Earth And Fire or Curved Air - great female vocalists, and much better classical/folk/progressive integration.

RENAISSANCE Turn Of The Cards
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 10:58:34 AM EST, 6/8/2004

1 stars  —  Like with all their albums - vocals are annoying, music is uninspired, too folksy and poppy, not progressive enough, long tracks lack development, instrumentally weak. Very Boring. Try Earth And Fire or Curved Air - great female vocalists, and much better classical/folk/progressive integration.

RENAISSANCE Prologue
Review by Eliott Minkovitch @ 10:52:24 AM EST, 6/8/2004

1 stars  —  A weak album by progressive standards - too much folkish influences, sprinkled with some Rachmaninov-sounding piano, but it does not really fuse with the sound. Songs uninspired and boring, longer songs relying on jams rather than on real development. Shorter songs poppy and folky. Haslam's vocals annoyngly piercing at times, other times sleepily folksy. Not progressive at all.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 15:52

I gotta hand it to old eliott- three reviews in 6 minutes is pretty impressive. Sometimes it takes me that long just to...

...finish a sentence.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 13:18

I see Andrea Salvador is back with some more classics!

Too Funny

I just had to post these in here for posterity - my aching sides!!

(To be utterly fair, I blame Babelfish...)

STRAWBS - From the Witchwood
Review by andrea salvador @ 11:25:56 AM EST, 8/18/2004
4 stars  —   To good reason the Strawbs would gain the prize for the truest and sincere contamination of the English Folk. In fact knowing mine that listen alone English Folk he adores they and I that I listen nearly only Progressive can not to confirm! "From The Witchwood" is an optimal way in order to return behind in the time and to come catapult in the Sherwood Forest with Robin Hood!

ANGRA - Lisbon (single)
Review by andrea salvador @ 11:47:29 AM EST, 8/18/2004
4 stars  —   I admit that i do not love the singles, but this it appeals to me truly. The problem of "Fireworks" LP is that he is mediocre and second me is exited in the mistaken moment. "Lisbon" is a song too much POP. But it is the best song of "Fireworks" and for this it is right to use it in order to promote this LP. beautiuful also "Make Believe (acoustic)" however they better song in absolute and "Angels Cry (demo)". However, I repeat, this is one released to take with motivatings force, because a single one cannot be judged, although excellent like this. But there is always Andre Matos and this enough to judge it.

JETHRO TULL - 20 Years Of Jethro Tull (USA release)
Review by andrea salvador @ 11:11:03 AM EST, 8/18/2004
4 stars  —   Of usual the compilations they are for completists. Not this, because it contains various songs recorded or played for BBC to the end of '60. moreover while many compilations play the paper of the stranger succes, this introduces us an other side of Jethro Tull. Finally, although it is not they better LP, it must admit that often after some LP one is based to us, but this is not very for this chance.

URIAH HEEP - Live in Moscow
Review by andrea salvador @ 1:01:55 PM EST, 8/17/2004
4 stars  —   It is not sure historical live, but "Live In Moscow" slides like the water, doing good its it must. It is a typical live album of the '80 and this penalized it. But being recorded in Moscow it becomes historical live that would not have to lack to nobody. Here Uriah Heep demostrates its new genius because it has open roads. Sure Uriah Heep do not have to teach null and of this Uriah Heep must go of fairs.

URIAH HEEP - Uriah Heep - Live
Review by andrea salvador @ 12:50:30 PM EST, 8/17/2004
4 stars  —   "Sunrise", "Sweet Lorraine", "Traveller In Time","Look At Yourself", "July Morning" and "Easy livin'" are songs that difficultly exit from the head. This is not true Prog-Metal, but something much neighbor because to that age this meant pure experimentation! You add best line-up of Uriah Heep and then you say to me if it is not true that this live nearly perfect... To good conoisseur... Litle words.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 15:32

"the prize for the truest and sincere contamination of the English Folk"

andrea + babelfish = poetic genius!

"To good conoisseur... Litle words."

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 17:59
ASIA - Axioms
Review by Redhead @ 3:32:37 PM EST, 8/18/2004
1 stars  —   This Asia compilation really doesnt count,as their original albums are quite enough in terms of real progmusic.....so Mr.Bob Mc best off. leave it!! Everything Best of... actually are the record companys benefit!! They earn a lot of money!! And we the fans....are left with an empty pocket!! Avoid best of/greatest hits albums!!! Have a nice pog summer!!

Here we have vague abuse (I think- what do you say, Bob?), no sense that they have actually heard the album (or the two new tracks Bob mentioned specifically), and a small warning about compilations. I don't think anybody needs to be told what greatest hits albums are all about. However, the final sentence is very important- apparently the pog craze is returning, which is good news for all of you who have boxes of the things stashed away next to your Pokemon and Episode One collectibles

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 18:04

Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

However, the final sentence is very important- apparently the pog craze is returning, which is good news for all of you who have boxes of the things stashed away next to your Pokemon and Episode One collectibles

Hahaha, I remember pogs!

The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 18:57
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I see Andrea Salvador is back with some more classics!

If he/she only knew what's been going around here...

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 00:53

I honestly feel sad for Andrea, she really wants to do good reviews,and translating this puzzles to spanish, I believe she does a decent job.

But if Altavista translator doesn't translate syntax well, much less will translate ideas.

Iván

emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 03:44

Excuse me people, but how dare you sit there and take the piss out of Andrea? You bunch of f**king hypocrites! How you all made me squirm for posting the following;

"Your review, much like your command of English, is very poor"

I was attacked from all sides and was actually accused of xenophobia (talk about an over-reaction).

I am not impressed!

Edited by emdiar
Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 06:21

Nooooo!

These are reviews that stand out, not a pure Mickey-take!

I totally realise that Babelfish is to blame for the results that we're having a bit of a giggle about, but you can plainly see that Andrea has tried to give considered and lyrical (if somewhat short) reviews.

But you're right, Em.

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 06:38

I'll take it a step further- the last andrea review I read sounded like poetry to me; I could read a hundred reviews and not come away with anything but information (if that much). When I read his/ hers, I often come away thinking about the abstract intricacies of language structure and the imagery behind word choice. This whole thread is about reviews that make an impression beyond what they say about the band and the album; while some may offer little but humor at the writer's expense, most are either personally expressive or intriguingly surreal. I can say all I want about an album, or the history of the band, or how it relates to music in general, but I would never think to write "many compilations play the paper of the stranger success". Between andrea and the translation code we are given a phrase that is hauntingly evocative- a collaboration between man and machine to produce something greater than either alone could have done.

But the thing about the pogs was pure humor

Edited by James Lee
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 13:01
Originally posted by Arbiter Arbiter wrote:

Love this one:

RUSH Rush - In Rio
Review by Ian Gledhill @ 2:15:05 PM EST, 2/14/2004

PROG REVIEWER
1 stars  —  This is one repeatedly overated band who, along with the likes of the rolling stones should have packed it in years ago. The last time I listened to this band was when I was in high school. For eggheads only.

I guess I'm an egghead!

I just posted this to stir up the hornet`s nest. I will remove it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 13:04
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

Originally posted by Arbiter Arbiter wrote:

Love this one:

RUSH Rush - In Rio
Review by Ian Gledhill @ 2:15:05 PM EST, 2/14/2004

PROG REVIEWER
1 stars  —  This is one repeatedly overated band who, along with the likes of the rolling stones should have packed it in years ago. The last time I listened to this band was when I was in high school. For eggheads only.

I guess I'm an egghead!

Along those same lines, from that same reviewer...

PORCUPINE TREE Lightbulb Sun
Review by Ian Gledhill @ 10:12:25 PM EST, 4/27/2004

PROG REVIEWER
1 stars  —  Do not buy. Stay away from any material from this band. If I could have I would have given this a negative 5 star rating. I hope I can recover a fair portion of the $23 I wasted on this CD at the second hand CD shop.

OK OK I`remove this one too!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 13:16
I find that you guys just want to read good things about the bands you really like. There are bands that I love but when they put out what I call a dud it deserves a bad review.for example I love the Hungarian band Omega but in the 1980`s they went, well, pop, I gave Omega 11 a bomb .See some of my other reviews. Also check out my wife`s review on Gentle Giant Octopus. If someone doesn`t like Dark Side ( I myself love it, great album to have sex to ) then he /she is entitled to voice their particular opinion and it is up to the reader of the review to decide for themselves by comparing other reviwes to that particular review. Like Clint Eastwood said in a Dirty Harry film opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. This to me is even a dumber thread than the Mariah thread.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 14:14

That Clint Eastwood quote is very apt - so I think that reviews whether positive or negative should at least;

1) Conform to site rules and contain at least 50 words.

2) Express some truths beyond the reviewer's opinion.

3) Be carefully thought out, interesting and humourous (optional, but I like reviews that fit this category!).

To just cast aside an album with one scathing sentence is not to review it, IMHO. Opinions are an essential part of reviews - but if you're going to administer some slap down, I think a few considered facts would be polite and a way to "sugar the pill" - after all, this is a prog site with many prog fans of many prog bands, so someone is going to complain about their favourite album getting a roasting - and why stir it up unless it's clearly for fun or to make a valid point - in which case the review should attempt to make that clear.

I definitely do not think that all reviewers should shower golden praise on all that is prog - except for "Script..."

Edited by Certif1ed
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 14:35

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I find that you guys just want to read good things about the bands you really like.

We're fine with reading bad things about bands we like, we would just like to have an idea of why it is these people don't like them.  I mean, I disagreed with that Larry Landberg guy's opinions on Foxtrot and And Then There Were Three, but he backed that opinion up very well, so I can easily accept that.  Just saying "anyone who listens to this band is an egghead" hardly gives anyone an idea of what's wrong with said band, and it's not going to give anyone who does like that band an idea of what you consider wrong with them.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 15:26

Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Excuse me people, but how dare you sit there and take the piss out of Andrea? You bunch of f**king hypocrites! How you all made me squirm for posting the following;

"Your review, much like your command of English, is very poor"

I was attacked from all sides and was actually accused of xenophobia (talk about an over-reaction).

I am not impressed!

There is NO p*ss taking of Andrea going on here!

Andrea clearly puts a fair bit of thought into her(?) reviews, and I'm sure when they are read in their native language, they read perfectly. What we are enjoying here is the fact that when run through translation software, the results can be highly amusing. Such software does very literal translations, without considering the context.

I'm sure that if my own reviews were translated into Spanish in the same way, they would seem just as funny. I reckon Andrea would be tickled to know that her reviews had been translated to say things like "sincere contamination of the English Folk". It's easy to see what is meant, but babblefish comes up with a way of saying it which just would not be used by a person.

I'm not sure where your quote came from, I think it was a different thread, and I'm sure the person that said it subsequently withdrew it and apologised.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2004 at 15:31
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

ASIA - Axioms
Review by Redhead @ 3:32:37 PM EST, 8/18/2004
1 stars  —   This Asia compilation really doesnt count,as their original albums are quite enough in terms of real progmusic.....so Mr.Bob Mc best off. leave it!! Everything Best of... actually are the record companys benefit!! They earn a lot of money!! And we the fans....are left with an empty pocket!! Avoid best of/greatest hits albums!!! Have a nice pog summer!!

Here we have vague abuse (I think- what do you say, Bob?), no sense that they have actually heard the album (or the two new tracks Bob mentioned specifically), and a small warning about compilations. I don't think anybody needs to be told what greatest hits albums are all about. However, the final sentence is very important- apparently the pog craze is returning, which is good news for all of you who have boxes of the things stashed away next to your Pokemon and Episode One collectibles

Guilty as charged (for it is I, Bob McBeath, or "Bob McBest-of" as the reviewer witily statesLOL)

I have been labouring the compilation reviews of late. Problem is, there's loads of them on the list of unreviewed albums Max posted. I can feel another thread coming on about the value or otherwise of compilations, and whether they should be included on this site.Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>