Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ - How many of you on here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 11:19
IQ is a good band that tries to keep the progressive banner flying high, well thatīs the positive thing I can say about them.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 11:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'll still stick with my opinion that IQ were (and for that matter still are) superior  to Marillion.Certified using phrases like 'contrapuntal inventiveness' doesn't impress me.

It's not intended to be impressive, just an observation based on facts rather than opinion - to back up my assertion that at the time Marillion were the superior band, in simple disagreement with what you seemed to assert as fact!

I read for a degree in music, which doesn't mean I know best, it just means that I talk in the language used to describe music at degree level without thinking about it sometimes. It's just a means of expression - nothing more. If you don't understand what it means, I can explain, although Google will probably do the job quite well!

When people post opinion dressed as fact, I think it's unfair - hence my redressing of the balance.

OK you prefer Marillion ...fair enough. But how you don't find very early IQ in the form of, say, 'The Last Human Gateway' ''inventive'' baffles me.I understand the points about 'The Wake' sounding like Genesis (it does!) but it still restored my faith in prog rock thanks to the 'going for it' attitude.Admittedly productionwise it's rough and ready but I love the rawness of it.Maybe IQ have gone on to better things with 'Ever','The Seventh House' and 'Dark Matter' but that's just part of a band growing up I suppose.As for Marillion I just find the first 3 albums lacking in dynamics compared to IQ's first 2.

OK, you're presenting it as opinion now - I still disagree, I think Marillion had a far greater dynamic range, especially in the first 3 albums. Different strokes!

Marillion seemed a lot more laboured in their attempts to be more precise.

I don't understand that opinion, as I find them utterly seamless and precise in the first 3 albums - there seems to be no effort and it seems far from being laboured! The only IQ album I have heard ("The Wake") is the opposite... more different strokes, perhaps!

IQ took more risks (careful - opinion presented as fact again!) and played 'on the edge' hence the mistakes.But it's like apples and oranges.

My fave band ELP often made mistakes and could easily be considered inferior to other bands of the time like say Pink Floyd who took 'preciseness' to the nth degree.But then I appreciate bands that take risks.Prog is not for the 'lilly livered' IMO.

OK, I only took your initial post to task because it seemed to present the statement "IQ are superior to Marillion" as some kind of irrefutable fact. Naturally I refute it...

Edited by Certif1ed
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 07:17

As this a pro IQ thread I took 'liberties'.But anything I say about music is an opinion and is never meant to be presented as 'fact'.But I get fed up putting IMO after every single thing I say.Hope that's understood.Of course you can challenge everything I say but then I reserve the right to bite back

Opinions are like aresholes..everyone has them

Pixel Pirate View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 09:07

Being the absolutely newest member here I might as well take this opportunity to say that I do in fact worship IQ,I have other prog favourites of course (chiefly Camel), but no one shines with greater intensity than IQ for me in the entire history of Prog. And this is for one simple fact: The emotional intensity and sincerity in their music is much greater than any band I have ever heard,for me they manage to wrench the last drop of emotion from every note much more profoundly than anyone else. Like no other band they simply get me right where I live. But that's the purely subjective,emotional view. From an intellectual,objective view, most of the original prog bands from the 70's are of course better,but if your response to music is objective and intellectual,rather than subjective and emotional,then we're dealing with a very odd person indeed!

Most of anyone's response to music,whether it's Elton John or Stockhausen,is based on that person's emotional response to that music and my emotional response to IQ is more intense and immediate than with any other Prog band,therefore I rate them as the greatest Prog band for me personally. In compiling the greatest Prog bands of all time,a more objective approach would have to be put into effect and while I would definitely have included IQ, they would not have been at the very top since there are bands that were,and are,more original and innovative than IQ and they would have taken presedence over IQ in a ranking of that type,but as for pure,immediate emotional response,IQ will always be my favourites.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 09:18

And a very important point:

I can't remember who it was,but someone said that he gave up on IQ after the first two albums. Well,then you don't know much about the band at all since the first two albums pale considerably in comparison with the albums they've made since the early 90's,starting with "Ever" in 93 and carrying on through "Subteranea", "The Seventh House" and the latest, "Dark Matter". Those are the ones you must have heard to form a true picture of what IQ are all about,I'm not wild about either "Tales..." or "The Wake" myself. The band was still finding it's feet in those early days and both those albums have a slightly amateurish feel to them. I regard them as IQ's apprenticeship,a sort of "warm up" period before the brilliance of the band as they appear now.

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 09:29

I mostly agree with my Pixel friend. I don't disregard 'The Wake', since I consider a prog masterpiece of the 80s, but yes, IQ's finest hour has been happening since 1993. These guys keep exploring in their own style coherently, while managing to improve their cohesiveness as an ensamble and incorporating new tricks that give their current repertoire an additional fresh air. Nicholls' singing has become more special, and has grown tremedously as a lyricist. As I stated somewhere else, the closing track to 'The Seventh House' (an album I enjoy less than 'Ever' and 'Subterranea') Guiding Light comprises one of the most moving set of lyrics I've known for the last years.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 11:41

I agree wholeheartedly with you about "Guiding Light" and as far as the first two albums are concerned,we will all have to reappraise  "Tales..."  when the new version they are recording these days hits the streets. One thing the new version definitely will have as a keen advantage to the original is a better sound quality which is one of my major gripes with the original,it sounds like a bad demo tape. And "Tales..." wasn't their actual debut of course,it was only their vinyl debut. Their actual debut was "Seven Stories Into Eight" from 82 which was only released on tape and in a very limited amount. They re-recorded that in 98 and called it "Seven Stories Into Ninety Eight" and it's overwhelmingly superior to the original tape release so I have high expectations for the new version of  "Tales...". And the next step on IQ's re-recording odyssey should be "The Wake" since that too suffers from a very poor production. And maybe "Nomzamo" and "Are You Sitting Comfortably" while they're at it? Only joking!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 14:09
The only reason 'The Last Human Gateway' isn't considered up there with say 'Suppers Ready' is the poor recording quality.In every other respect(composition,technical ablity etc) it is a bona fide masterpeice IMO.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 14:40
Absolutely,it's without doubt the standout track on "Tales..."  and the one I'm looking most forward to hearing properly recorded and produced.Actually we've had a taster of what the re-recorded version could be like already on the album "The Lost Attic" which contains previously unreleased tracks,and miscellaneous bits and pieces. There they do a new take on the middle section of "The Last Human Gateway" which is far superior to the original,granted it's only about 4-5 minutes long and it's probably not going to be the final version but it still bodes well for the finished work. Let's hope they don't hold us in suspense for much longer!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 16:26
I actually saw IQ play '..Gateway' at the London Astoria as an encore on their Subterranea tour.Absolutely brilliant as you can imagine!
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 16:37
Pixel, you post excellent messages here! I agree with all you say. It is just that you, guys, have completely forgotten the magnificent Enemy Smacks!!!!
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 17:14

Certainly, one of the precursors of neo prog as many of you have added up in here. I don't think I'm much of an expert when it comes to IQ since I've only got 3 albums (but followed their prominent career); what I know is that "The Wake" is a determinant masterpiece to encourage the subsequent productions (and gems of neo prog rock), "The Seventh House" and "Dark Matter". Some other neo prog orientated bands, founded its beginnings on the IQ vein, that's for sure.

Regarding the issue about IQ relying on the GENESIS source, I think it's certainly false. As a precursor, the English neo prog band, came up with reinvented formulas, not copied or adopted. The sounds at some fragments may sound similar, since I believe a band has an iconic parameter to follow up and GENSIS was one of those to IQ; but the sound is completely different and renewed. IMHO, IQ is a proposing band, not a plagarist one.

Edited by landberkdoten
break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2004 at 20:38
Bravo, Landberk-Anekdoten!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 03:47

I join in that bravo,a very good analysis of IQ.  And "The Enemy Smacks" had temporarily slipped my mind,Greenback. Another excellent IQ track and I look forward to that also getting the revamp treatment.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 07:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

As this a pro IQ thread I took 'liberties'.But anything I say about music is an opinion and is never meant to be presented as 'fact'.But I get fed up putting IMO after every single thing I say.Hope that's understood.Of course you can challenge everything I say but then I reserve the right to bite back

That's the whole point of a discussion forum, after all - to have discussions. If we all sat there going "Hey, you're sooo right" the whole time, it'd be a dull place IMO... let me rephrase that - it'd be a dull place

Opinions are like aresholes..everyone has them

Yes, and some stink... but the similarites end there - would you really go around showing yours to everyone, and are you really interested in, say Mariah Carey's?

Just using the words "I think that..." helps to clear confusion - and IMO is much shorter to type, so there's not much wrong with it, IMO

There. That's my Utopian vision for this week.

I'd like to see Mariah Carey's ar... I mean opinion...

Lynn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 14:24

I have seen IQ a few times now as we are members of the CRS up in Rotherham UK (incidentally where IQ are playing at the awards night in November with Magenta)

I actually quite liked them the first time, it was the Subterranea tour I think as they had a projection backdrop that was very effective.

However, since then I've thought that Peter Nichols has become very operatic in his singing and performance and this becomes a bit irritating for me after a while. The albums I can take or leave they really do not do a lot for me but I admit they are a very good live band.

I was speaking to John Jowitt the Bass player of IQ last year when he was playing as part of the John Young Band and I told him that I enjoyed Jadis (one of his other bands) far more than IQ!!

John Young is making a difference!! www.youngjohn.co.uk
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2004 at 15:29

Lynn- thanks for your post, and for keeping the plug subtle

What you say kinda confirms my opinion of the band (see above, if anyone cares at all). I bet IQ would be a lot of fun to see even for a non-fan like me; there's a lot of bands that are very cool live but the albums don't quite bear it out- including one of my favorites, the Dead. Heck, I even enjoyed a Morris Day & The Time show- long after the Paisley Park phenomenon was over...

Lynn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 15:50

Sorry about the constant plugging of you know who, I just can't help myself

Yes, I think that I have got into a lot of bands after we've seen them live, I suppose sometimes just listening to albums you can't always appreciate the musicianship and the sincerity of the band members.

It always amazes me how modest these wonderfully talented human beings are.

John Young is making a difference!! www.youngjohn.co.uk
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 03:32
You could be right about the modesty and humility of great talents,Lynn. I met Barclay James Harvest once and they were great guys,very sweet and friendly and then in my capacity of music journalist at the time, I also interviewed another band that was big in Norway at the time,their music was the worst kind of three chord rubbish and these musical terrorists behaved appalingly badly,like five versions of the Osbourne children. And I have heard from others that have met truly talented and creative bands and your more typical pop/rock band that the former is nearly always a delight to meet and the latter is nearly always an ordeal. It's not unreasonable to assume that the music you play is reflected in your personality.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 06:33
I don't know, I've heard John Cage is pretty easy to understand in person 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>