Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSmak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 09:14

Friends(prijatelji) don't argue about Snow Dog.First my mistake i haven't seen the Smak topic that was forged before my Smak.I will continue in that room to write my posts.But i haven't seen that topic soo i will continue here to spread Smak.Second Snow Dog can you bring back this topic to original place becoase this is about Smak not about what i suggest to listen.

Third: I created this topic soo i can show the World that Smak is really exellent band which can be compared to Zeppelin,Queen and otheer bands which have been made as a legends of music.I also wanted to see if any of you English,German,American... have heared of Smak the yugoslavian rock band.

I want to say pozzz-hay to people that have come here before me and spread Smak,Leb i Sol,Time,Yu Grupa,Korni Grupa,Buldozer,Partibrejkers  music!

Sve sto je bilo i moze biti jedino je Smak neponovljiv.

LP ''Crna Dama'' 1977.
blazno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 09:42

Hey Livnica!(nice to see another member from the ex-YU btw.)

I have Crna Dama on vinyl but my record player is broken so I haven't had a chance to listen to it. And since you seem to be an expert (or a big fan)  on Smak I want to know if the record is (or any other) worth buying? My dad mentoined they are great many times, but he likes allmost everything so he's opinion does't count..  

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:27
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

Yes indead, Time was first and probably the best prog band from former Yougoslavia.

Another interesting ones are JOSIPA LISAC - Dnevnik prve ljubavi, INDEXI, LEB I SOL, ELEKTRIČNI ORGAZAM, ŠARLO AKROBATA, SEPTEMBAR

I see that you were on holidays in Rovinj. I was every summer in nearby coast town Poreč

Thanks for good advice, pero. If I'll visit Croatia again I'll try to find albums of JOSIPA LISAC, ELEKTRIČNI ORGAZAM, ŠARLO AKROBATA, SEPTEMBAR.

By the way, my wife and I were in Porech too - wonderful town.

Edited by NotAProghead
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
KazimirMajorinc View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 13:23
Crna Dama is, very good record, i.e. they had ideas, but they are in much more commercial arrangement than on their first and probably the best album. You know how it happens with prog.

But if you are interested in Yu, Bijelo Dugme is alpha and omega, they are very commercial, but their composer is simply great musical talent and lof ot his material can be easily called prog.

BTW, you know, you can download anything of YU rock - for those interested in Smak, start here with songs Ulazak u Harem and Biska 2. Then follow your heart. :)

terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 13:36
Smak's debut, Crna dama and Stranice.. are all good albums. My fave ex-yu prog group besides Begnagrad, Leb i sol, Indexi and Tako...
Bijelo dugme is more commercial but some of their songs could be called prog related - this side is well represented on a compillation called "Hitovi 3".
Livnica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 17:11

Kazimire, brate, are you nuts??? Bregovic can't do a squat compared to R.M. Tocak & Smak, not to mention Leb i Sol, Yu-grupa, Time, Korni grupa, ...

Bijelo dugme's music is called shepherd's rock- because the inspiration for it came from listening to the sheep doing "beeeee".

And true, "Bijelo dugme" is the most commercial bend of ex-yu, and people listen to them. Because the people are the sheep.

Most of their fans listen to Turbo-folk, a unique amalgam of Radio Teheran's top-of-the-pops, coyote hawling and a rudimentary skill of pressing two keys on a synthesizer. I believe that proves my previous point.

Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Bijelo dugme is more commercial but some of their songs could be called prog related

Terramystic, could you clarify how on Earth can "Bijelo dugme" be related to progressive rock???

LP ''Crna Dama'' 1977.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by Livnica Livnica wrote:

And true, "Bijelo dugme" is the most commercial bend of ex-yu, and people listen to them. Because the people are the sheep.

I can't believe all people listening to "Bijelo dugme" are so desperately stupid.

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 20:24

Welcome everyone! Nice to see some folks discussing the "good ole" exYU prog from the 1970s

Maybe we can create a separate thread for exYU prog?

I expect many of you can write some reviews too, I can't do it all by myself !!!

Go here http://www.progarchives.com/Band-list.asp?country=203 and check there are still many albums without reviews. Just please, read the guidelines and instructions how to write a review. It is available elesewhere on the forum.

Regarding BIJELO DUGME, here is my opinion. I have been contemplating their addition here for quite some time. Their first 4-5 albums can arguably be included into "prog related" category. Their style of that time was similar to URIAH HEEP, DEEP PURPLE, ARGENT, BIRTH CONTROL... of course with notorius addition of "shepherd's rock" folk-influenced lyrics. Later stuff during 1980s was horrible very commercialized (although their first phase was also very popular, anyone rememeber "Dugmemania" phenomenon?) "arena" style mainstream pop/rock with Balkan folk, not interesting for prog people. I was personally never a fan of BIJELO DUGME (except when I was 13-14 old), but their overall career probably deserves mentioning them in "prog-related" section... ?

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 20:34
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

Yes indead, Time was first and probably the best prog band from former Yougoslavia.

Another interesting ones are JOSIPA LISAC - Dnevnik prve ljubavi, INDEXI, LEB I SOL, ELEKTRIČNI ORGAZAM, ŠARLO AKROBATA, SEPTEMBAR

I see that you were on holidays in Rovinj. I was every summer in nearby coast town Poreč

Thanks for good advice, pero. If I'll visit Croatia again I'll try to find albums of JOSIPA LISAC, ELEKTRIČNI ORGAZAM, ŠARLO AKROBATA, SEPTEMBAR.

By the way, my wife and I were in Porech too - wonderful town.

All mentioned are excellent artists! INDEXI, LEB I SOL and SEPTEMBER are already here. JOSIPA is arguably close to "progressive rock" with different influences from blues, jazz and soul.

ELEKTRICNI ORGAZAM and SARLO AKROBATA are also excellent, but they belong to another story (post punk, new wave). TIME debut album is a milestone of ex-YU prog (and not only prog) rock, but check my review of DRAGO MLINAREC first album, released in 1971, before TIME!!

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 01:13
I don't know anything about "Smak", but it sounds a lot like "Muack!"...
ˇBeware of the Bee!

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 03:43
Well, it means something like "end", "execution" or "demise". Typical phrase is "smak svijeta" meaning "the end of the world"..., "smaknuti" means "to execute" someone...  
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 04:22
Originally posted by blazno blazno wrote:

Hey Livnica!(nice to see another member from the ex-YU btw.)

I have Crna Dama on vinyl but my record player is broken so I haven't had a chance to listen to it. And since you seem to be an expert (or a big fan)  on Smak I want to know if the record is (or any other) worth buying? My dad mentoined they are great many times, but he likes allmost everything so he's opinion does't count..  

IMHO "Crna dama" is their best album, excellent funky jazz-rock with wonderful keyboards by Miki Petkovski. I never saw the CD re-issue, so I gues you'll have to repair that old turntable!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 06:23

Bijelo dugme is more commercial but some of their songs could be called prog related

Terramystic, could you clarify how on Earth can "Bijelo dugme" be related to progressive rock???

Yes, they are commercial and less skilful than Smak but some songs are unmistakably prog (in the style of proto-prog, hard prog) or at least attempt at it: "Sve ce to mila moja...", "Sta bi dao da si na mom mjestu", "Kad bi bio bijelo dugme", "Pozurite konji moji"...

Edited by terramystic
Livnica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 07:42

Ok i see that you got my post so i will say only this,here we or i don't want any Bjelo dugme in this topic.To me they have turned back to Yu-Rock long time ago.

Seyo i agree with you about Yu-prog topic but you should call it like we Yugoslavians have always said 'YU-Rock'.But if you all want here to write about Yu-Rock bands it's fine with me,we need to spread this music around the world by one room-topic.

Anyway from which part of the world are you, Smakovci(Smak fans)?

LP ''Crna Dama'' 1977.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 07:56
As this band are listed on the site, I've moved this thread into the Prog Music Lounge.
Livnica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:49
I thank you good man

LP ''Crna Dama'' 1977.
Livnica View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:51

Hay Blazno!

Frank Zappa and the mothers were at the place playing around

Someone stupid with a flame gun burn the place to the ground

Smoke on the Water!

A Fire in the Sky!

:)

LP ''Crna Dama'' 1977.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

All mentioned are excellent artists! INDEXI, LEB I SOL and SEPTEMBER are already here. JOSIPA is arguably close to "progressive rock" with different influences from blues, jazz and soul.

ELEKTRICNI ORGAZAM and SARLO AKROBATA are also excellent, but they belong to another story (post punk, new wave). TIME debut album is a milestone of ex-YU prog (and not only prog) rock, but check my review of DRAGO MLINAREC first album, released in 1971, before TIME!!

Thanks for the information, Seyo. I think for me it's worth to try first SEPTEMBER, JOSIPA and DRAGO MLINAREC. As I understand, albums of MLINAREC were not released on CD, I hope it's only a question of time.

I also have some live albums of PARNI VALJAK, the band playing good melodic rock with nice vocals and guitar playing. Did they ever play something close to prog?

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 03:57

No, PARNI VALJAK has nothing to do with prog, although they were formed from the remnants of the Drago Mlinarec's backing band GRUPA 220.

Their 1970s albums are sort of classic rock/boogie/hard rock/glam style. Their later stuff is a mainstream AOR pop/rock. They are extremely good instrumentalist but not my cup of tea.

Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 03:59

Yes, they are commercial and less skilful than Smak but some songs are unmistakably prog (in the style of proto-prog, hard prog) or at least attempt at it: "Sve ce to mila moja...", "Sta bi dao da si na mom mjestu", "Kad bi bio bijelo dugme", "Pozurite konji moji"...

You got that right, Terramystic!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>