Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe proper category for Rush ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:31
2112 got extensive radio airplay on the then-new FM radio, which helped to break the "3 minute ceiling" of AM radio songs. That's how Rush got famous (that and well-deserved live reputation). Spirit of Radio (which mocks radio and sellouts) came later. Working man didn't get played until 2112 broke the band. Ten minute songs did get played. DSOTM was played in its entirety. I'm sure CTTE got played. Sure, Hold Your Fire is terrible, but the rest Signals and Grace Under Pressure were as strong as their previous efforts, and the lyrics remain some of Neil's best. Just because Yes released Tales doesn't make them better. Personally I can't stand Tales; it is to Yes what Works is to ELP: a pompous show off album.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:34
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Taken from the definition of Eclectic Prog :

"Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core."

I think this definition more than suits Rush's career, therefore Rush should be in this category.

Who else agrees ?

Thanks !

I agree - 80's and early 90s Rush is far from Heavy Prog. They've returned a bit to their heavy roots now, but Eclectic is a much better fit.

Clap

At last, someone who has seen the light !  I didn't expect less from you , Angelo !  Wink

It's hard to miss. I'm rather tall so I simply bumped into the bulb... OuchWink

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:35
As much as they belong there, heavy prog relies on Rush because the whole point of heavy prog is it's influence on prog metal. If Rush goes, then the whole subgenre needs to go.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:35
Tales is beautiful, Wakeman left because Tales didnt show him off enough.LOL

I'm not saying Rush is any less respectable because they got more radio airplay then Yes, but I dont believe they belong in a genre full of hardcore prog bands (except atomic rooster), when there is the crossover prog that easily suites Rush. Just read the description for crossover.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:37
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Tales is beautiful, Wakeman left because Tales didnt show him off enough.LOL

I'm not saying Rush is any less respectable because they got more radio airplay then Yes, but I dont believe they belong in a genre full of hardcore prog bands (except atomic rooster), when there is the crossover prog that easily suites Rush. Just read the description for crossover.
To be honest, I'm not sure who belongs where right now. I'm giving it a few weeks for the AR team to sort this mess out. Right now it seems nearly ever band in crossover should be in eclectic, but then that defeats the purpose of dividing AR. Whatever, someone smarter than me will deal with it.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 17:40
good point
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:09
Haha, Rush owns the Heavy Prog top albums. We should just create a whole new subcategory called "Rush".
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:23

2112 to Exit Stage Left, Rush were heavy metal/rock with long songs, that were broken up into smaller peices. Before 2112, i found them rock..completely lost interest after 1983...however, their new album is def more heavy than prog......if more than half their albums make them prog...Rush missed it.

Sorry peeps....heavy metal or heavy rock......or sold out down the river after '83...until 2007

Edited by Hyperborea - August 23 2007 at 20:25
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:33

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.

sorry, but I have to comment on this. Yes had "ONE" single? How about Owner of a Lonely Heart? I've Seen All Good People? Starship Trooper? They had plenty of other singles released as well (check out the discography).

- Just to back-up the point that radio play "means nothing" about a band's progressiveness.
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 20:59
I could care less what Rush is called. Prog, Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock.

I find the concept of dividing progressive rock into even MORE categories "hard prog, "eclectic prog" "crossover prog" to be stupid and appaling, especially when there are only like 3 bands in a certain genre.

Why don't we come up with some fancy name for each band and make them their own genre then? Rush: progressive hard rock/ stadium rock. Yes: Symphonic mystic progresisve rock. ELP: Symphonic electronic hard progressive rock. Dream Theater: eclectic progressive virtuoso metal. Confused

This is certainly going to be untimate goal of progarchives now. What a terrible waste of time categories are.

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 21:38
Originally posted by ClassicRocker ClassicRocker wrote:

No

I'm saying that Rush insnt like Yes, because Yes only had ONE signal (which they didnt even mean to make), then turned they're back on radio. While Rush always sticked with radio, therefore not as "hardcore prog" as Yes.

sorry, but I have to comment on this. Yes had "ONE" single? How about Owner of a Lonely Heart? I've Seen All Good People? Starship Trooper? They had plenty of other singles released as well (check out the discography).

- Just to back-up the point that radio play "means nothing" about a band's progressiveness.

(sigh)

Starship trooper barely hit the top forty, and YOUR MOVE got minimal airplay in europe. Owner of a lonely heart is a whole other story in a whole other time period.

Read the rest of my debate with Jareyay, if you want the full reason why I posted that.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 22:27
Rush is progressive in anything they do. Counter tempo, time signatures, and as wikipedia states "Unpredictability of the musical direction is a core characteristic for progressive music." This is RUSH. Sure they may also fit in as Electric prog category, but their roots and the center of their music is plain ol' progressive rock. Also I dont think it matters about how much radio play a band receives, it should be about the music they produce and not the public ear or opinion.

"One likes to believe In the freedom of music But glittering prizes And endless compromises Shatter the illusion Of integrity."

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 22:49
Originally posted by Arsillus Arsillus wrote:

Haha, Rush owns the Heavy Prog top albums. We should just create a whole new subcategory called "Rush".

Hear, hear!

Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

I could care less what Rush is called. Prog, Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock.

See above!
dethics View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 01:06
They should've just left it at Art Rock seriously....Dead
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 02:02
They would fit fine in crossover (now, this does not mean that they weren't progressive, just more radio friendly!), but they fit too perfectly in heavy prog to be anything else.
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 08:29

"Eclectic Prog combines hybrids of style and diversity of theme, promoting many elements from different sources. The Eclectic category recognizes bands that evolved markedly over their career (in a progressive, evolutionary way), or have a plural style without a clear referential core."

I think this definition more than suits Rush's career, therefore Rush should be in this category.

Who else agrees ?

Thanks !
Sounds very Art Rock to me mate.Smile

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 09:45

Who else agrees ?

Thanks !

An interesting idea indeed! One word to describe Rush is definitely progressive, in the sense that they are not complacent.  I have always felt calling them Art Rock was a misnomer, yet there had been no definitive category that suited them.

Good call Melo!

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 09:54

Point is, yeah, Rush is very progressive, but never progressive enouh to turn there backs on radio.

I hardly call writing music for yourselves and your fans a radio sell-out.

If it falls into being cross-over, its not intentional.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:01
"heavy prog" is the appropriate place for Rush

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 10:16
Seriously people, Heavy Prog was invented for Rush...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>