Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZeuhl - an observation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 06:09
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I'm listening to Retrospektiw I-II and it's just struck me what Magma are all about!  Finally, it's starting to click!

Firstly:

1. the obvious Kobiain myth... Theusz Hamtaahk sounds like music that suits the world of Dune... it sounds alien.  It could be Martian music.  This is obviously the intent but it actually does sound just like that!
2. M.D.K. -  it sounds cultish, almost religious.  The speech at the beginning sounds like a dictator, or a religious guru (no idea what's being said, mind you).  The chanting sounds cultish too.

I raised my arm at the intro... like a salute, of sorts or a march.  Think of thousands of people stood together and doing just that... reminds me of Communist China.  The end of Theusz Hamtaahk and the sirens sounds almost like it would fit a Holocaust situation... it's dark indeed!  Post-apocalyptic and often reminiscent of what World War III would sound like.

Something that also strikes me is the odd sound that reminds me of Van der Graaf Generator... mostly in the keyboards.  It's odd but it's there!

It's finally clicking with me and now my respect for Magma's compositions has just increased a lot!  I loved this album and the two pieces on it for quite some time but now I am started to think more about the sounds I'm hearing... well it's fantastic!

All that you say here is true.  And my theory is... well... they take all the techniques of certain religious music (chanting, repetition, confusing/pulsating rhythm, yelling, symbolism, emotional manipulation, otherness-togetherness, etc.), just without the actual religion part (although of course, they do mention the supreme being quite often!).  But what I mean is, they're not telling people to do or believe anything as such - just making expert use of the neurological quirks of the human brain in response to that kind of musical massage. Tongue  Even when you know they're doing this, it still works.  A bit like those optical illusions that still fool you even after they've been explained.  It still gives you a... weird euphoric feeling. Embarrassed

This is pretty much why I love Magma: it transports me.  Being a dyed-in-the-wool sceptic without any patience for mumbo jumbo, I'm never going to feel that via some kind of organised religion, or any hippy nonsense. Tongue  But by the direct action of some extremely clever and very sincere music (because I think it is sincere - I don't think Vander is merely being calculating with this stuff, he appears to be a fairly emotional, philosophical chap), it's possible to bypass the 'religion' part and take advantage of these deep-seated quirks of the brain.

Now try K.A. again. Big%20smile

(P.S. ... I have never been chemically intoxicated in my entire life.  Who needs that when you have music?!  Just thought I'd better put that in... Tongue)
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 06:46
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

Magma is the only zeuhl band that has ever made any sort of new and revolutionary stuff. All other french zeuhl bands (except Dun) all just tried to copy them...and well, zao just went in a different direction.

That's pretty unfair. Archaïa and Shub Niggurath certainly doesn't sound like Magma copies. And I would never mistake the sound of Eskaton, Eider Stellaire, Noa, Potemkine etc... for Magma. Some Canterbury bands share more similaities than these bands, and you wouldn't say they just copied eachother.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 09:10
Originally posted by song_of_copper song_of_copper wrote:

I'm listening to Retrospektiw I-II and it's just struck me what Magma are all about!  Finally, it's starting to click!

Firstly:

1. the obvious Kobiain myth... Theusz Hamtaahk sounds like music that suits the world of Dune... it sounds alien.  It could be Martian music.  This is obviously the intent but it actually does sound just like that!
2. M.D.K. -  it sounds cultish, almost religious.  The speech at the beginning sounds like a dictator, or a religious guru (no idea what's being said, mind you).  The chanting sounds cultish too.

I raised my arm at the intro... like a salute, of sorts or a march.  Think of thousands of people stood together and doing just that... reminds me of Communist China.  The end of Theusz Hamtaahk and the sirens sounds almost like it would fit a Holocaust situation... it's dark indeed!  Post-apocalyptic and often reminiscent of what World War III would sound like.

Something that also strikes me is the odd sound that reminds me of Van der Graaf Generator... mostly in the keyboards.  It's odd but it's there!

It's finally clicking with me and now my respect for Magma's compositions has just increased a lot!  I loved this album and the two pieces on it for quite some time but now I am started to think more about the sounds I'm hearing... well it's fantastic!

All that you say here is true.  And my theory is... well... they take all the techniques of certain religious music (chanting, repetition, confusing/pulsating rhythm, yelling, symbolism, emotional manipulation, otherness-togetherness, etc.), just without the actual religion part (although of course, they do mention the supreme being quite often!).  But what I mean is, they're not telling people to do or believe anything as such - just making expert use of the neurological quirks of the human brain in response to that kind of musical massage. Tongue  Even when you know they're doing this, it still works.  A bit like those optical illusions that still fool you even after they've been explained.  It still gives you a... weird euphoric feeling. Embarrassed

This is pretty much why I love Magma: it transports me.  Being a dyed-in-the-wool sceptic without any patience for mumbo jumbo, I'm never going to feel that via some kind of organised religion, or any hippy nonsense. Tongue  But by the direct action of some extremely clever and very sincere music (because I think it is sincere - I don't think Vander is merely being calculating with this stuff, he appears to be a fairly emotional, philosophical chap), it's possible to bypass the 'religion' part and take advantage of these deep-seated quirks of the brain.

(P.S. ... I have never been chemically intoxicated in my entire life.  Who needs that when you have music?!  Just thought I'd better put that in... Tongue)

I was tired when I wrote the above this morning (I still am but a cappuccino has woken me up a bit), so on further inspection, it is clear that my words were a bit jumbled.  You did catch my point though, which is fantastic.

I am glad I am not alone in thinking this.  I do remember the black and white photos mixed in with that M.D.K. YouTube video though, so I believe that had an influence as well.

Oh I never said it was religious, or trying to be but it's showing somewhat of a cultish side... perhaps in an ironic way as well.  Being anti-religion and cults?  Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I guess it's interpretable any way you deem.

Actually, I have just remembered what these two tracks remind me of, i.e. the non-earth sections of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-5.  The parts where humans go to the Moon (I think, or is it Mars?  My memory is bad this afternoon!) and then Earth itself attacks the Moon and its human colony to complete destruction.  Many moments in M.D.K. and Theusz Hamtaahk remind me of that.

Edited by James - September 20 2008 at 09:12
song_of_copper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 13:47

I was tired when I wrote the above this morning (I still am but a cappuccino has woken me up a bit), so on further inspection, it is clear that my words were a bit jumbled.  You did catch my point though, which is fantastic.

I am glad I am not alone in thinking this.  I do remember the black and white photos mixed in with that M.D.K. YouTube video though, so I believe that had an influence as well.

Oh I never said it was religious, or trying to be but it's showing somewhat of a cultish side... perhaps in an ironic way as well.  Being anti-religion and cults?  Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I guess it's interpretable any way you deem.

Actually, I have just remembered what these two tracks remind me of, i.e. the non-earth sections of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-5.  The parts where humans go to the Moon (I think, or is it Mars?  My memory is bad this afternoon!) and then Earth itself attacks the Moon and its human colony to complete destruction.  Many moments in M.D.K. and Theusz Hamtaahk remind me of that.

That would totally make sense, to be reminded of that story.  Very appropriate, by the sound of it!  (Not read it myself.)

No, it's not actually religious - I didn't think that's what you'd meant - just that it borrows the psychological tricks that religion customarily employs.  I have a feeling that they most definitely intended to whip their audiences up into that kind of agitated state - I think the intensity, the catharsis, is purposeful, rather than just being incidental to the style of the music.  If I remember rightly, Vander has said that he was pretty fed up with all of that 'peace-and-love-let-it-all-hang-out' laziness of mind that was so fashionable in the 60s.  Instead... we get the complete opposite.  Righteous anger, and a feeling of orthodoxy (instead of permissiveness).  Frenzy instead of passivity.  No idea whether it was ever intended as an actual cult - probably not really, although the idea of that may have been a useful publicity hook!  Not convinced it was meant ironically, though, either.  Perhaps it's more a case of a deep-seated need to express end-of-decade desperation and frustration and to share that - find the others who feel the same way, who are facing in the same direction...

...ooh, bonus thought: maybe it's more akin to a punk mindset than a prog one! LOL  All that nihilism and yelling... only rather more virtuosic and civilised! Tongue

I could be totally wrong here.  It's all guesswork!  But (duh, no kidding!) I am FASCINATED by this topic. Big%20smile  So, uh, thanks for letting me ramble on about it at you... LOL
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 03:42
No problem, Melissa.  I am glad you think along similar lines to myself.

I was thinking again earlier how different Magma and Koenjihyakkei are in terms of musical approach.

Magma are: futuristic, industrial, dark, gloomy, satanic, religious, political and anti-establishment
Koenjihyakkei are: modern yet old (I shall explain this below), upbeat, fun, punk, noise, oriental

I shall explain what I mean by modern yet old.

I like to think of Koenjihyakkei as music for Steampunk.  If you do not know what this sci-fi genre is about, then I shall explain:

Steampunk is fantasy novels (mostly) that are set in a world where Steam Engines (or Industrial Revolution era mechanical equipment) are still prevalent, yet the world also features futuristic elements, such as those featured in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells' literature (such as time travel, submarines, early aeronautics &c.).  Some also have more modern advances, such as a quicker advancement of computer technology.

So Koenjihyakkei's music often feels like modern music to an old setting.  If that makes sense?

You could set some of their music to old silent films (as has been done with Rattims Friezz-- visit YouTube).  I think Georges Méliès' A Trip to the Moon is a good example of where their music would work.

The reason I believe this, is because their music sounds mechanical and industrial (i.e. factory work) at times... and it is not just Tatsuya Yoshida's drumming style but the whole band.

I do not know if this is deliberate or whether that is the sound they just happen to have come up with but it's an interesting one, nevertheless.

Another industrial and mechanical sounding band are Ahvak.  They do not play Zeuhl but they take Chamber Prog into the 21st Century and do an excellent job of it.

Edited by James - September 22 2008 at 04:07
DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 05:29

well..............

just dont knock it till you try it. it does make some music better. would it work for magma, i don't know

Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Magma is the only zeuhl band that has ever made any sort of new and revolutionary stuff. All other french zeuhl bands (except Dun) all just tried to copy them...and well, zao just went in a different direction.

That's pretty unfair. Archaïa and Shub Niggurath certainly doesn't sound like Magma copies. And I would never mistake the sound of Eskaton, Eider Stellaire, Noa, Potemkine etc... for Magma. Some Canterbury bands share more similaities than these bands, and you wouldn't say they just copied eachother.
haven't heard archaia but shub niggurath yeah you're right they are different, forgot about them. but as for eskaton and eider stellaire, they pretty much take zeuhl and strip it of its essence and make zeuhl-pop out of it. sounds similar to udu wudu era magma, still different, but lacking in depth

Edited by DJPuffyLemon - September 22 2008 at 05:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 06:55

well..............

just dont knock it till you try it. it does make some music better. would it work for magma, i don't know

Hahahaha. Evil%20Smile LOL  (Translation: that there was my evil laugh. Tongue)

No way am I going to get into some kind of discussion about the so-called merits (or otherwise) of altering one's perception via artificial means.  Don't get me started on that topic..., really.

Let's just say that this is definitely one of those things that you don't really need to try to know whether you think it's worth doing or not. Tongue

(Besides which, Magma is wonderful enough to me already, in an unenhanced condition. Wink)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 07:16

No problem, Melissa.  I am glad you think along similar lines to myself.

I was thinking again earlier how different Magma and Koenjihyakkei are in terms of musical approach.

Magma are: futuristic, industrial, dark, gloomy, satanic, religious, political and anti-establishment
Koenjihyakkei are: modern yet old (I shall explain this below), upbeat, fun, punk, noise, oriental

I shall explain what I mean by modern yet old.

I like to think of Koenjihyakkei as music for Steampunk.  If you do not know what this sci-fi genre is about, then I shall explain:

Steampunk is fantasy novels (mostly) that are set in a world where Steam Engines (or Industrial Revolution era mechanical equipment) are still prevalent, yet the world also features futuristic elements, such as those featured in Jules Verne or H.G. Wells' literature (such as time travel, submarines, early aeronautics &c.).  Some also have more modern advances, such as a quicker advancement of computer technology.

So Koenjihyakkei's music often feels like modern music to an old setting.  If that makes sense?

You could set some of their music to old silent films (as has been done with Rattims Friezz-- visit YouTube).  I think Georges Méliès' A Trip to the Moon is a good example of where their music would work.

The reason I believe this, is because their music sounds mechanical and industrial (i.e. factory work) at times... and it is not just Tatsuya Yoshida's drumming style but the whole band.

I do not know if this is deliberate or whether that is the sound they just happen to have come up with but it's an interesting one, nevertheless.

Another industrial and mechanical sounding band are Ahvak.  They do not play Zeuhl but they take Chamber Prog into the 21st Century and do an excellent job of it.

I have heard of Steampunk, and to my eyes it seems like a wonderful excuse for present-day men to ditch the jeans and footie shirts and dress up in impeccable Victorian costume.  For that reason alone, I approve wholeheartedly. Approve

I can sort of get what you mean about Koenji, although to my ears it's more like... how to describe it... something really Medieval, that ROCKS. Big%20smile  Like some sort of 16th century Japanese illustrated scroll made into a bizarre musical.

As for Magma, I personally find it reminiscent of very ancient things.  The mythology could have come off of a cuneiform tablet or an Egyptian tomb relief (hehe, especially Köhntarkösz! Tongue).  And Vander would make an absolutely darling Shaman.  Or maybe an Inca priest... Smile  For all my innate distaste for 'the altered self' (see above...! Tongue), I can well imagine him drinking some nasty mushroom-and-cactus potion and envisioning stuff all over the shop. LOL

And... I read something in the New Scientist about some guy who is investigating the acoustics of caves in which prehistoric people made paintings.  Apparently, the paintings often correspond to interesting acoustic effects.  I'm sorry to say (well... not very sorry...) that my immediate reaction to reading that was "Ooh, I wonder what Magma would sound like in a cave...?!" Ermm Embarrassed LOL

Ahvak: indeed, very industrial.  It's a bit like wandering through an abandoned building...  The sound effects are like metal fatigue set to music. Tongue

The other thing that strikes me, reading what you wrote, is how there is always, at any period in history, a bunch of people who are perfectly happy with weirdness.  I would LOVE to know what the Surrealists would have thought of Koenjihyakkei.  I bet they'd have loved it!! LOL  If they were around now, they'd probably be musicians anyway, not artists...

Final Steampunk-meets-Zeuhl thought: Daniel O'Sullivan - Lewis Carroll in a former life. Wink
DandyWalker View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 19:11
I didn't read all previous posts but did every Zeuhl-"fan" check Lagger Blues Machine ? It's a Belgian great Zeuhl Band. I Recommend the album : "lagger blues machine".
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 08:38
What are your thoughts on this issue now, James? Almost a year and a half have passed. Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 09:39
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

What are your thoughts on this issue now, James? Almost a year and a half have passed. Big smile

Wink
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 09:46
Try asking again in six months.  Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 20:26

Nice topic, James.  Prepare for some serious drivel from me in response!
My two cents! Tongue  Er, more like my two hundred dollars... Embarrassed LOL

Now I'm offended ... someone wrote more than me? ....CryTongueBig smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 20:43

...  20th century classical, jazz, rock, soul/gospel elements... it's the mixture.  Other bands who profess to play Zeuhl (or are influenced in some way by Magma) will probably only take one or a couple of these stylistic elements, and hopefully mix that with something of their own.  The most influential part seems to me to be the jazz part. .... snip .... an extreme form of jazz fusion, in a way... it's as far away from jazz as you can get and still call it jazz! Tongue

And this is one of the problems with "classifications" of music ... it gets so that the classification is the law and the music isn't.

I don't consider this stuff jazz, any more than I consider it rock, any more than I consider it Orff, any more than I consider it anything else, including the most bizarre and off center description of a music (or art scene for that matter!) that I have ever seen. I like it that the term was created ... and it is a really good symbol of the vanity that we get ourselves into sometimes.

I consider Magma a "group/composer" and treat it with the same applauding information I would a Stravinsky or any other major composer in the 20th century ... because what they did was/is special and has stood out the test of time ... there is only one and the rest are copies ... which should be a very good indication that this is one person's vision ... and a very nice one that we have enjoyd for 40 years so far ... !
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:24
Is there any new, good Zeuhl bands around ? 
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:41
Salty will recommend Xing Sa, I'm pretty sure. And I was recommended a band called Neom recently by Mellotron Storm. I'm no Zeuhl expert, nor have I heard either yet, but people whose opinions on Zeuhl I respect recommend them, so :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 07:23
Xing Sa are good, indeed. And there's a Zeuhl thread, too (though probably most of the Zeuhl talk was done in the RIO/Avant Drip-in CentreSmile
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 16:38
I don't remember this thread from when it was initiated, but with it being resurrected in the last couple of days I went back to read through it.  It was interesting that the first post was in 2008 but E-Re was considered to be 'imminent' (October 2008 if I am reading it correctly).  As we know, it didn't come out until late 2009. Was there some story behind that?  I've only become a fan in the last year and was busy enough assimilating their old stuff, but having now become a bit obsessive, I can appreciate how excruciating it must have been to wait that long for it!
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12