Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt's possible to know all albums on PA ? (NO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

1)How would this change you (me) when you know more and more, what would advantages and disadvantages be like ?

Being the number of neurons (so the memory capacity) of our brains limited, we probably act as with all the rest: listen to Starcastle and think they are Yes

2)Is it possible to remember then all ? Is it possible to review all of them ?

Of course no. When I review something I must have it in my earphones. On a review I wrote "Hungarian" about Collegium Musicum.  About reviewing all of them, if you copy other's reviews without spending time listening, perhaps yes.

3)Because we're mortals, it's probably not possible to hear all albums that you would like to hear in a lifetime. Or is it ? I suppose it's not, so how to deal with this issue ?

I promised myself to get into Frank Zappa 4 years ago. I still have to listen to the first CD.

Hehe, you will less and less about each album, but this progress can be kept living, even not at the same rate.

OK, you have made a mistake, Hungary/Slovakia. I remember myself doing the same kind of error with Norway / Sweden. Reviewing is certainly more difficult than just listening. Some albums are very hard to review at all, for example Gentle Giant for me. Perhaps it's impossible to review them all.

I wanted to get into most of stuff by Zappa since 2 years ago. I tried two albums :-)

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:03
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Not possible to know all music in the porog scene but a nice goal - thx for putting htat insane idea in my headLOL

But i have tripled my knowledge of prog by listening to music here and reading the bios and album familiarisation, and that s a good thing as far as I am concerned. i DO have a goal tho to listen to every 5 star album here, as well as the top 100, and that is a feat in itself!

I wonder if there is a page in the Guinness World Record Book for "Most Prog Albums Listened to by a Single Man"

I doubt it. Guinness has stopped accepting records which may endanger human lives. Wink

Actually, are there some records that are connected with Progressive music ?

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:37
28000 albums in total ... our most prolific reviewers nearly wrote about 10% ... so I don't think it's possible really.
I know circa 60% of all the bands listed under our psych/space subgenre ... and that's a lot ... believe me Smile

Edited by Rivertree - June 09 2010 at 13:38

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Not possible to know all music in the porog scene but a nice goal - thx for putting htat insane idea in my headLOL

But i have tripled my knowledge of prog by listening to music here and reading the bios and album familiarisation, and that s a good thing as far as I am concerned. i DO have a goal tho to listen to every 5 star album here, as well as the top 100, and that is a feat in itself!

I wonder if there is a page in the Guinness World Record Book for "Most Prog Albums Listened to by a Single Man"

I doubt it. Guinness has stopped accepting records which may endanger human lives. Wink

Actually, are there some records that are connected with Progressive music ?

I believe that at one time Deep Purple were once listed as the loudest band ever recorded.  I'd be surprised if they still held this distinction.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 14:07
Marty, have you won the lottery?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 14:15
Leaving aside the fact that it would probably be a pointless and rather masochistic exercise, simple math tells you that listening at a rate of 5 albums every day every single day without exception, it would take you 15 years to listen to 28,000 albums.

But that would not be the biggest problem. Using the Top Albums search I have checked that there are 216 studio albums listed as being from 2009. If we add the DVDs, Live, Compilations and Promos, the number goes up to 812, and that includes only albums which have been rated, so actually there must be quite a few more.
So not only you should listen to the 28,000 which are in PA as of today, but the list would increase by 800 or so every year which passed, so on top you would have to listen to another 2 or 3 albums everyday just to keep up with the pace of the newly added albums.

And of course, this would not leave you any free time to ever re-listen to any of your most loved albums.
No thanks Confused
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 14:31
i thought i had ventured so far into the universe of prog that i would soon be in another dimension but then i got too the end of the universe and realised the universe is expanding and i will never catch up too it

(this metaphor is untrue what happened was that i thought i knew it all then i found prog archives and discovered that owning the first 4 Caravan LP's does not make you the master of obscure music)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 14:33
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

28000 albums in total ... our most prolific reviewers nearly wrote about 10% ... so I don't think it's possible really.
I know circa 60% of all the bands listed under our psych/space subgenre ... and that's a lot ... believe me Smile

I used to think that 28000 is number impossible to reach, but it's actually far less of them. 

A lot of them are live albums (some bands are releasing many live albums, most of them of not so good quality), there are also Best of compilations and they are mostly useless to me. Mostly, because when it's compilation of unreleased material, it's worth of the price. But if it's collection of songs I already own as studio albums, it's really meaningless. 

Then we also have singles. Jethro Tull, The Beatles are the major players here, having maybe hundred of singles.

The Beatles:
58 compilations
62 singles

I mean, they're not the same league as studio albums. Time for listening is quite precious, one can't hear them all. So why to waste time with acquiring singles and listening them, when I can move to listen other bands, studio albums.

Of course, most bands has only studio albums listed, but these big ones has a lot of compilations and other "less worthy" stuff.

So I dare to say that PA has about 9.000-14.000 of studio albums. One third to one half of albums to review.

Of course, Sean Trane, Hugues Ch. is our most prolific reviewer, but he's here for 6 years and so it means writing about 1.5 reviews per day. Quite impressive that he was able to keep it that way, that he's still writing, but it's possible to reach his status, when you give somebody let's say 3 more years. Take for example new rising star, Bonnek. He will soon have 1000 reviews and you know how long took it. Just one year.

60% of all bands, that may be about 1000 albums ? (studio ones)

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 15:38
How about changing the goal to knowing all artists that are on PA ? Wink
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 17:48
It's impossible to have every album at PA. If you can know every album that is currently present on the site, that is impressive, but MANY albums are being added every day. Here... I'll give you a link to the Prog-Metal Team's cleared artist and new artist chart sections. Just these artists would take a VERY long time to track down...

Cleared: http://progfreak.com/home/progarchives.xhtml?path=pm/cleared
New: http://progfreak.com/home/progarchives.xhtml?path=pm/nw (this contains 365 bands)

This isn't even taking into account the rare albums on PA that could cost you a sh*tload of money...

I agree with Rune200. It is a much more feasible goal to try to get at least 1 album by each band on PA, which is still hard.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 18:17

^^ I wanted to reply something intelligent, but I'm out of my mind currently, so

^ Jefff, yes, I saw this Cleared Metal backlog already, it's quite huge.

1)I would join your team if I had more experiences with Prog Metal.
2)By the way, your Melodic Prog recommendation, Nightingale, is some kind of grower, it's getting better and better with each listen.

Serious questions you are raising Kingfriso. However, since beginning of mankind, man was used to gather. Remember this hunter/collector pattern ? We simply has it in our genes. And if it's not music, one can collect stamps, movies, books, cars or anything. And every collector will tell you that he wants to collect as much as possible.

I won't call that personality disorder, it's too harsh in my thinking.

In general, I want to ask another question. We can say that it's very difficult to impossible to listen all albums that are here. Therefore, I was wondering if it's (and now I'm referring to part that Atomic Scott said), there are charts, somehow better and worse albums. And even it's possible that you will like low rated album and that you will hate well rated album, this chance is very low. I'm getting to point, slowly, but getting, please stay tuned.

It's often better and certainly safer to listen to albums that are rated good. Because majority of people already decided that it is good for them, so it has very high chance that it will be good for you too. It's not adventurous, it's using of beaten paths, but it's quite certain way, depending on reviews of others. Simply recommendations.

Of course, it's tempting to listen to "best" albums only, those with rating above 3.5 let's say. But it's good to listen "worse" rated too. You never know what you can discover.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

By the way, your Melodic Prog recommendation, Nightingale, is some kind of grower, it's getting better and better with each listen.

I knew you would see the light, Marty! Clap Yeah, The Closing Chronicles took a while to sink in with me too. It was always overshadowed by Dan Swanö's other works with Edge of Sanity and Unicorn, but it suddenly "clicked" and it soon became one of my all-time favorites.

Do you have any other Swanö (Nightingale or elsewhere) related albums?

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 18:36
I'm stuck listening 8GB on my ipod since early 2009.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by kingfriso kingfriso wrote:

Getting to know all prog that exist is very hard without a serious personality disorder. Feeling the need to own such a lot of music isn't healthy. At that stage it's not about the music anymore, it's about how record-collecting compensates for you personal or social problems.

This.  And like, I think Gerinski said, you won't get time to listen again to your favourite albums.  You will most definitely get no time to explore other genres of music.  Are you really sure that you'd be able to get up to 9000 albums of PROG and listen to all of them, it's a thankless job frankly.  If the point is to find more music that you'd enjoy, then sticking to highly rated albums is ultimately the best approach (besides which, you have the rare albums facility on the website too to check out albums that don't get attention, also, Avestin's thread).  Sure, it may be what everybody else is doing but sometimes taking the road more traveled makes sense.Wink
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 21:37
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

It's impossible to have every album at PA. If you can know every album that is currently present on the site, that is impressive, but MANY albums are being added every day. Here... I'll give you a link to the Prog-Metal Team's cleared artist and new artist chart sections. Just these artists would take a VERY long time to track down...

Cleared: http://progfreak.com/home/progarchives.xhtml?path=pm/cleared
New: http://progfreak.com/home/progarchives.xhtml?path=pm/nw (this contains 365 bands)

This isn't even taking into account the rare albums on PA that could cost you a sh*tload of money...

I agree with Rune200. It is a much more feasible goal to try to get at least 1 album by each band on PA, which is still hard.
Thats a great idea

Is there a Symphonic list with all albums unreviewed or reviewed?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 22:30
If you happened to really, really like bad progressive rock, had the patience to download/money to buy all the stuff, and all the free time in the world. probably. But 3/4 of the music on this site is probably horrible crap so have fun!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 22:56
That's called an asymptote
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 22:58
Originally posted by Captain Clutch Captain Clutch wrote:

That's called an asymptote

I know how to find them too.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 23:14
To answer the titular question, no.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 00:19
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

To answer the titular question, no.

Maybe when the site kicked off. Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>