Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Underrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 16:15
I found Recycled to be one of the few happy albums I can also really enjoy. The CD master is superb as well. I don't know if it is the best of their catalogue as I also like and have Tab In The Ocean but it is not like that album. I like to go by the PA algorhythm to get a guide as to which is the best album to go for. Then find the best version of the remastered reissue. 
Verwuestung View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 16:23
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Nektar.  All I ever hear about Nektar are close, but no cigar narratives...a band that was highly innovative, but whose innovation perpetually trailed behind more 'progressive' and successful acts.  However, I put on Tab, or Remember the Future, or their recent 2000's albums, and I'm just blown away.  This is a band that, in my humble opinion, totally deserves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the great, renowned artists of prog.  Just give Recycled a listen, and try not to be bodily transported.  I dare you.

was already listening to Nektar as I was reading this. (well, not a total coincidence as we are discussing UNDERRATED bands)
I completely agree.
am listening to their live performance "Sunday Night At The London Roundhouse". KILLER SHOW!
so much energy and great interpretations to their classics...
though a bit of a shame nothing from their debut which is really unique, even compared to their latter albums
but each album is unique! just listen to A Tab In The Ocean and than go on and listen to Down To Earth (a totally circus-themed album, much less spacey (as the name would suggest))

extraordinary band

Edited by Verwuestung - October 25 2010 at 16:24
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Nektar.  All I ever hear about Nektar are close, but no cigar narratives...a band that was highly innovative, but whose innovation perpetually trailed behind more 'progressive' and successful acts.  However, I put on Tab, or Remember the Future, or their recent 2000's albums, and I'm just blown away.  This is a band that, in my humble opinion, totally deserves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the great, renowned artists of prog.  Just give Recycled a listen, and try not to be bodily transported.  I dare you.
Sorry, I like only the debut. The rest doesn't make anything special to me, but of course it's just my opinion.

I like them a lot; their best album is "Recycled".

Nektar is one of the best and most unappreciated bands of all times.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 17:34
Hey, over in my hip-hop sample thread in Just For Fun I featured the rap song Battle For Asgard by Cannibal Ox which has a Nektar sample in it. So there could be any number of rap fans listening to Nektar without realising it ;)
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 22:00
Back to the original thread:

BRAND X really has some amazing stuff on their first three or four records. Comparing them piece by piece, album by album, to RETURN TO FOREVER is not so far-fetched. Phil Collins was a GREAT drummer! And name another bass player as dynamic as Percy Jones. And Goodsall is an amazing guitarist. Lumley on keys. Morris Pert. Awesome.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 22:54

Known as they are in the prog world, I still say Mahavishnu Orchestra are underrated because John McLaughlin should be a mainstream figure. In my opinion, he should be mentioned in the same breath as Page and Hendrix and so on yet he's fairly consistently overlooked in any mainstream survey of great guitarists.

WyattEarp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 00:16
Underrated:Definitely The Canterbury Scene

When it comes to Counter Culture,Hippies,Psychedelic,here in the states everyone talks about The Haight-Ashbury,West Coast,San Francisco(Rightfully Soo) and today the Jam Scene

Jefferson Airplane,Santana,Quicksilver Messenger Service, and especially The Grateful Dead
Which i love those groups.

But

When i ask these folks about Gong and Soft Machine,they don't have a clue.
Which is a real tragedy and shame!!!

Because

A lot of folks think of the Canterbury Scene as  Prog-Fusion music,which is true

But

It really started out as a Psychedelic(Actually some the most far-out and best),Counter-Culture scene,at around the same time as The Haight-Ashbury.

Every one thinks of Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead when it comes to faces of the Counter-Culture
But
After listening to Gong
I can compare Daevid Allen,Gilli Smyth and Steve Hillage with Jerry Garcia anyday

For Jaming i put Soft Machine'sThird up against Quicksilver Messenger Service's Happy Trails any day for the Jams(I've listened to and love both albums)

The Comparisons can go on forever.

Yes,The Canterbury Scene is also the Perfect UK Complement to the American Haight-Ashbury
And
It's about time it's treated as also such!

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 03:32
I think the reason the US counter culture scene is and was more prominent than the UK one is the level of political intent. The US had Viet Nam and conscription. The UK had Swinging London. The US had a heavy situation, the UK had fun and fashion. Different worlds.

I think the Canterbury scene will probably stay as a prog rock sub genre. At least it is about music (and that's all) as most who think they are talking about music (IMHO!!) use that as a the base from which to start an discussion, debate, diatribe.

It might be interesting if the Canterbury scene has a following in the jazz world - it is possible, but I don't know. But as far as underground rock goes that matters now, it's deader than disco.Cry Shame but it's this year's model that matters not yesterday's papers. There, how many cliches does it take to get into a trend.Wink
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 07:35
First you should mean "Underrate". You list Camel,Nektar, Mahavishnu and Brand X. These bands arent Underrate. Every of  bands that you listed , are great bands. These are heros and idols. Camel have many fans around the world even in Iran. Nektar is big like Pink Floyd. Many of J/R fans know Brand x and they are in every top 10 J/R lists. Mahavishnu like Brand x and you can see their name in every prog sites and lists. What is your criteria od Underrate? I write about Manfred Manns Earth Band and after read posts I think I mistake too. Each of these bands sold their albums easily and they made money so much. They are famous. One friend wrote about White Willow. YES this band is underrate or bands like NIL or "The Violet Hour". Bands like "Progres 2" that released masterpiece and have little fans.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 07:52
What I meant by underrated is some album, muso, or band that get littlr or no attention, or may not be viwed with as much consideration as they msy. My examplr - anf don't worry, no one has to agree was PF' Nick Mason. I have found books and nany reports putting his drumming down. IMHO he is a very creative drummer albeit not motivated over the past 20 years or so. Just an example.

I had no idea Mahavisnu were underrated. Most acts may not be household namrd in a mainstream sense but at least within their genre fanbase. I'd like rto see people hardly mentioned and a reason, in th poster's opinion as to why we should pay attention.

e.g Someone posted Espers.

Why? Are they a band? What is so underrated about 'em? What is it that will make me flick into the archives and read reviews. Which i do btw. Much better than wordless ratings, Y'know, depth and substance in posting content as best as one can; just as we expect from the prog artists.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 08:10
I've been the first mentioning Camel. What I mean is that looking outside the prog world, everybody knows Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes, at least by name. Somebody can have heard of King Crimson and VDGG, but if you mention Camel to a non prog fan, you'll likely see him wondering what you are speaking about.

But of course, prog is underrated in the mainstream world even if sometimes it's used by rappers as base for their boring speaking.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 08:16
OK. Nick Mason is a creative drummer and many of prog fans ignor him. I think we must look NM like musician not just a Drummer. If you compare him and drummers like Billy Cobham you can see BC is very better than him. However BC is a great musician too but NM's style is different. NM is a psychedelic drummer and we must compare him to other psych drummer not J/R or Metal drummer. He have more experimental works that never released. He try to creat new sound and style. I dont know he reach to what he want or no but I believe he is a great musician and maybe underrate.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 08:43
Conventum
Harmonium
Stomu Yamashta

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 08:48
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

OK. Nick Mason is a creative drummer and many of prog fans ignor him. I think we must look NM like musician not just a Drummer. If you compare him and drummers like Billy Cobham you can see BC is very better than him. However BC is a great musician too but NM's style is different. NM is a psychedelic drummer and we must compare him to other psych drummer not J/R or Metal drummer. He have more experimental works that never released. He try to creat new sound and style. I dont know he reach to what he want or no but I believe he is a great musician and maybe underrate.

This is a good point. We can't compare David Gilmour with Paco de Lucia (just another example). To do it we must move one of the two to the realm of the other. None of the two mentioned are underrated, of course. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Theriver View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:12
Camel underated? I would more say Camel is slightly overated. Have good moment sbut the all of it really goes from average to good. Nothing special. No genious.
Verwuestung View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:29
well what you all say is true. it's all a question of relevance.
true, Camel is underrated, when comparing to Pink Floyd
but they do have a large following

Message (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1456) the band, in example, is to me a very underrated band. anybody knows of them?

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Nektar is big like Pink Floyd

hehe, say that again and think about it. no way, not anywhere
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:00
" Nektar is Big like Pink Floyd"   Huh ? then you woke up .

Ask yer average Joe about Nektar ( even a lot prog fans to) they wont have a clue what your talking about but most people have heard of the Floyd.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

In terms of underrating, I think Camel are underrated.
Their music, in particular the first four albums can compete with the most famous prog acts. The "Sinclair period" was not so good but it surely influenced the sound of a lot of bands.
They are the unique band from the 70s able to give us a masterpiece like Rajaz in the 21st century.
But they are always considered a "second line" respect to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson and so on. 

Indeed you are right, Camel is way underrated, and Andy Latimer is also a fantastic guitarist, whose melodic approach is not well appreciated by many prog fans who are more into the metal influence.

I would also mention Martin Barre of Jethro Tull, who, according to Ian Anderson, is essential to the band, but hardly considered a top of the list guitarist. 

Latimer and Barre are at the top of their game, IMO.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:40
Originally posted by Theriver Theriver wrote:

Camel underated? I would more say Camel is slightly overated. Have good moment sbut the all of it really goes from average to good. Nothing special. No genious.
I'd have another listen to Rain Dances if I were you. Beautiful music. Breathless is great, too. Camel's subtler than many of their peers but there are indeed moments of genius.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:43

Sorry, I like only the debut. The rest doesn't make anything special to me, but of course it's just my opinion.
The problem I have with Nektar is that they never seemed to get their own sound. One album sounds like their Yes album. Another sounds like their Genesis album. Another sounds like Eloy/Floyd. And so on. I'm not saying they're not good players, I've just heard nothing that would have me label them as innovators.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>