Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

I listened to The Sum of No Evil for the second time today and it finally clicked. Damn this is an awesome album.
It's right up there with Unfold the Future and Flower Power for sure.

Agreed. I'm one of the few here who think The Sum Of No Evil is one of the best TFK albums ever. Solid all the way through.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I listened to The Sum of No Evil for the second time today and it finally clicked. Damn this is an awesome album.

Agreed. I'm one of the few here who think The Sum Of No Evil is one of the best TFK albums ever. Solid all the way through.

I think The Sum Of No Evil is one of their best ever right up there with Unfold the Future and Flower Power....
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 12:19
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I think The Sum Of No Evil is one of their best ever right up there with Unfold the Future and Flower Power....

I think I have mentioned this here before, but I think that Sum of No Evil, Stardust We Are and Unfold the Future are equally majestic masterpieces of progressive rock.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 19:39
Indeed, TSoNE is one of TFK's greatest albums.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 21:36
Heh, we needed you guys a few pages back. I was like the only one defending TSONE's greatness.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 21:37
I listened to Banks of Eden in the car, and I was getting into Numbers so much, great song for air-drumming!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 21:46
On my way to Mexico City for business........Listened to Banks of Eden 2x, much better opinion of the album now. Although I did find myself wandering a bit in the middle.
I do miss Zoltan's drumming, I think that is the missing pc for me in loving this album. The drumming is fine, but does not keep my attention.
I'm not at a 4 yet....and I may stay at a 3.5 for my records.....It is still a good album, it would be better if I were to get the vinyl version I am sure......I "hear" vinyl better than CDs.

And for the record The Sum of No Evil is a great album! Its one of my favs for sure.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 21:48

I always loved Stardust We Are and most of Flower Power, after a while i got Retropolis and it was also good, but since then i can't get into any of their releases, a lot of albums are double albums and they tire me too much.

I feel they release the same album over and over.

dtfan92 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtfan92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 21:55
I think I'm the only one here who is reminded of the Revealing Science of God whenever I listen to Love is the Only Answer. Most likely, it's because of that little intro in Tour Kaputt that isn't on the album like the ambient intro to Revealing which is played live.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:27

Heh, we needed you guys a few pages back. I was like the only one defending TSONE's greatness.
I absolutely love The Sum of No Evil, my favorite FK album. I was wondering, I've tried Retropolis, Stardust We Are, and Banks of Eden (along with the occasional stray track from other albums, don't ask me which), but I haven't really enjoyed any as much as TSONE. So what FK album would you recommend I try if I really like TSONE, and not so much the one's I mentioned.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:00
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I absolutely love The Sum of No Evil, my favorite FK album. I was wondering, I've tried Retropolis, Stardust We Are, and Banks of Eden (along with the occasional stray track from other albums, don't ask me which), but I haven't really enjoyed any as much as TSONE. So what FK album would you recommend I try if I really like TSONE, and not so much the one's I mentioned.

Unfold the Future because you have Zoltan who's on The Sum of No Evil, and both epics are great. There's some jazzy stuff throughout, plus Daniel Gildenlow sings lead vocals on a few songs. The more I listen to DG on vocals, the more I sometimes think he may have been the best singer for TFK.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 01:50

How can you defend greatness that really isn't there? Tongue
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 04:31

Unfold the Future because you have Zoltan who's on The Sum of No Evil, and both epics are great. There's some jazzy stuff throughout, plus Daniel Gildenlow sings lead vocals on a few songs. The more I listen to DG on vocals, the more I sometimes think he may have been the best singer for TFK.
I'm really sorry, I meant Unfold the Future, Not Stardust We Are, now I'm embarrassed. I'm not always a fan of Roine Stolt's jazzier stuff, I don't really know why because on paper it seems like something I would like but it just doesn't click with me. I did like Gildenlow vocals though.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 14:39

I'm really sorry, I meant Unfold the Future, Not Stardust We Are, now I'm embarrassed. I'm not always a fan of Roine Stolt's jazzier stuff, I don't really know why because on paper it seems like something I would like but it just doesn't click with me. I did like Gildenlow vocals though.

If you want more Gildenlow vocals, and less jazz, get Adam & Eve. Warning: many TFK fans find A&E to be weaker, but I think it's just fine, and better than most people say.

Otherwise, if you want to try some other pre-Jonas albums, get Flower Power, which contains arguably their best epic Garden of Dreams. Stardust We Are is also an essential TFK album for the TFK fan.

There's also the live album "Meet The Flower Kings". Again, Gildenlow is present, and they play all their best epics that they had up to that point (2003). Great live album.

And just so's you know, I think Back In The World Of Adventures is their best overall album from the pre-Jonas era. Very consistent, and is a real uplifting album.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 07:00
This 'waiting for the new CD to come in the mail' bit is getting real old . . . 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 07:50
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Agreed.  However after about 10 gazillion orders from Amazon over the last five years or so without the slightest hint of a problem why does it have to be this cd that goes missing?

I suppose it could be there when I get home.  Delivered by Elvis with his buddy Lord Lucan riding Shergar.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:33
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Agreed.  However after about 10 gazillion orders from Amazon over the last five years or so without the slightest hint of a problem why does it have to be this cd that goes missing?

I suppose it could be there when I get home.  Delivered by Elvis with his buddy Lord Lucan riding Shergar.

Bwahahaha . . . ok, I'm not certain who Lord Lucan and Shergar are but that's funny.  
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 12:11
I hope you guys get your copy soon, so we can discuss BoE's greatness. I've heard the album only 5 times I think, and I've gotten to the point where I think the new album is a masterpiece. I only listened to the bonus disc a few times, but when I review BoE, the rating will be solely based on the main disc.
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 13:30
I hate overusing the word masterpiece, but I do think Banks of Eden is mostly excellent, bonus tracks and all!  
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 13:32
Speaking of masterpieces, Flower Power (well, Garden of Dreams to be specific), is kicking my ass right now Bowdown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 486>