Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to define and classify "Progressive Rock"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 08:04
@nick: Because of what you wrote there, I tend to think that the term "prog" or "progressive" is a bad and potentially misleading choice as a genre label in the first place, inviting much of the trouble that can be had when trying to define it. Many say that "prog rock" is just a label and should be separated from the term "progressive", but progressive stuff (that can therefore not be captured by referring to fixed genre labels and can't therefore be pure "prog rock") keeps flooding in and subverting the boundaries (actually prog rock could still be quite progressive when not constrained by a fixed label definition). With which I personally have no problem, but it tends to reduce the genre definition problem ad absurdum.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 09:11
For me, genre definition is never not ad absurdism. Or, at least, the attempt to narrowly pigeonhole music into arbitrary boxes. Genres, and even worse, sub genres offer either a cornucopia or cacophony of choice, depending on one’s viewpoint. People often forget that all genres are labels that have been given retrospectively, and only after people have decided it is something different enough to warrant its own label. There are also very few genres that have not evolved their definition, and breadth of style within, over time. It is completely normal for what is contemporarily described as a typical example of a genre to sound very different from the first examples to be described by that genre. Even though I don’t consider prog a genre, per se, it is no different from the various genres that exist, and continue to be coined in that what was is contemporarily regarded as prog is vastly different from what once was. The arguments on this forum tend to come from older listeners who have stuck more rigidly to what prog was, and aren’t so happy about what is recognised as prog today. You can find the same in metal, pop, hip hop or probably any other fanbase - where people decry that what people these days call [genre] is not what they think [genre] is, because that’s not what [genre] was. In these cases, history is viewed more important than style, and I guess that is where David is stuck.

While I agree that prog is probably a troublesome name for the style, it would not be dramatically less troublesome if it were called something different. There would still be people unwilling to recognise that styles change over time. All music progresses. That doesn’t make it prog. But, conversely, it doesn’t mean something that has progressed is not prog. It is inevitable that any genre that is newly invented to describe whatever sound or style people feel the need to give a new label to, will evolve and change over time. Whether one believes that prog is broad and meta-genre (like me), or is more narrow and a genre in and of itself, it is inconceivable to me that one can not recognise that what is (or isn’t, depending on how you want to look at it) will differ over time.

It’s funny, to me, seeing people say something from the past isn’t prog as it’s not really any different to what another bands were doing at the same time - even though there were still a minority of bands doing this, and it was still new, original, and unique - while at the same time insisting on a band from today playing retro prog is the epitome of prog today. And there are such people on this forum. There are certain users who as soon as I see “last post by [user]” I can guess what will be written before I view it.

That doesn’t mean one needs to like everything. I can freely admit that within some genres, I prefer only some eras. But it seems that a lot of people who don’t like a lot of modern prog (unless it sounds like classic prog), simply can’t recognise that if something is generally accepted as prog by others, then it probably is, and they should just accept it is a part of prog they don’t like. It’s actually really interesting to see how prog is regarded inside and outside PA - as (as broad as some complain PA can be) this site has a narrower view of prog than you are likely to find on social media and much of the media. What is or isn’t prog can also change dramatically based on where one is in the world. In NZ and Australia, a lot of what is near universally thought of as prog would probably not be prog “enough” for PA, even if it would surprise the bands and their fans that anyone might not think they were prog. Expectations differ, and that is probably the biggest reason there are arguments over prog. It’s not so much the definition, so much as people’s expectation of how that definition meets reality.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 10:48
I can’t believe this discussion is still a thing 🥶

I think this site defines the term progressive rock perfectly

What else needs to be discussed?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 11:29
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Prog is a style.

"Prog" is not an objective fact, but a matter of choice how it's best to define it, or what/which definition(s) it's best to use.

Edited by David_D - August 28 2022 at 11:32
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 11:50
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I think this site defines the term progressive rock perfectly

Thank you for your opinion, siLLy_puPPy.

Edited by David_D - August 28 2022 at 12:48
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 12:29

If you attempt to base a definition of prog upon that history, rather than the style, it doesn’t allow a great deal of evolution or innovation, or (indeed) progression. You would largely be left wi5 classic symphonic prog, neo-prog, and today’s retro prog. But, then, I suspect that maybe this is perhaps what you would prefer, anyway?

Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

More exactly speaking, the Prog bands, I've listed, are those who at least have made one album which I like. So it can be
easily seen that I'm not impressed by the Danish Prog myself, and I'd say that "Prog proper" hasn't been popular 
in the post-70's Denmark - and thus there's surely some work to do for those who might wish.

“Prog proper” 😄😄😄😄

Almost all of my list is “prog proper”, and modern. If you mean, what is prog to you, that is not at all the same thing as “prog proper”. Proper, by definition, relates to what is generally understood and recognised - not what is individually understood and recognised.

I can tell that by now I'm in doubt about what to find being the best use of the term Progressive Rock, and I may become in favour of the double way you use, but which would be though:

1. A less including one, much similar to RYM's, which I guess is best corresponding to the historically and today mostly used one, so it can be called "Progressive Rock proper".
2. A more including one, and the way I've suggested to define Progressive Rock in my article here, which uses the term Prog as a meta-genre.

Written in the thread "How to define and classify Progressive Rock?" and quoted in a post answering one of your posts in the thread "Plans on PA for becoming an all-music site?". Wink
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 12:55
^If you must regurgitate without offering anything further, or even addressing the previous rebuttal I gave you… 🙄

Originally posted by I I wrote:

Prog proper” 😄😄😄😄

Proper, by definition, relates to what is generally understood and recognised - not what is individually understood and recognised.

The dictionary definition (at least, the dictionary in my house, but I’m sure if I Google I will find plenty of other similar definitions) for proper is “denoting something that it is truly what is said or regarded to be”, and while you could infer from that definition an individual viewpoint, it is clearly meant to imply a general viewpoint.

If you can look almost anywhere, and find that a band or artist is said, or regarded to be, prog; then it is “prog proper”. If a band is described as prog on social media, on websites, at festivals and concerts, in reviews, etc; if a band is described by their label, and by themselves, and by their audience as prog; then they are “prog proper”. You don’t need to like it, but it is somewhat disingenuous to not recognise it for what it is. Maybe it doesn’t seem proper to you, but you need to take into account what the general understanding is.

Originally posted by I I wrote:

Proper, by definition, relates to what is generally understood and recognised - not what is individually understood and recognised.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 13:24
How to define and classify Progressive Rock?

I think it might be time to revisit the purpose behind the question. Is it a personal question - such as, what does prog rock mean to you and how has it changed your life for the better (obvioiusly, for the better)?

Or, is it a question that has to do more with the system? For example, I, Joe Newbie Progger, want to search a prog rock website in order to find out about the different forms of progressive rock music for the purpose of seeking music that I might like. How do I go about it? And, how did the people who put this website together figure out such a system?

Or, is it more of a contrarian question, such as: How in the world can you even begin to define the undefinable? And, what about all those bands who write music in umpteen different genres?

To me, the second question might be the more interesting one, especially since we have many artists who come here sheepishly asking the question ... what genre is my band?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 13:28
Symphonic Prog is the only 100% genuine prog genre in my view and almost everything else on ProgArchives is up for debate as to whether it's really prog or not, apart from Pavlov's Dog, who are genuine bona fido prog. Tongue

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 13:32
That would be responding to the question as if it were question #1. But, I wonder if the real question is more in line with question #2 ... which is more of a nuts and bolts question.

Perhaps a follow-up question might be. In your opinion, which band most exemplifies each of the different subgenres of prog?

How has that subgenre evolved (I didn't say for the better or for the worse) from decade to decade? Perhaps which band most exemplifies each subgenre for each decade?

And, which band was the most difficult to characterize from the PA groups?

And, what might be emerging new subgenres of prog?

Edited by Jaketejas - August 28 2022 at 13:38
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 13:55

^If you must regurgitate without offering anything further, or even addressing the previous rebuttal I gave you… 🙄

Well, I don't know how many times I have to do that before you talk about my points of view in a way so I can recognise them - and that is said very nicely. Before you do that, I can't really discuss with you. Wink

Edited by David_D - August 28 2022 at 14:16
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 14:34
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Symphonic Prog is the only 100% genuine prog genre in my view and almost everything else on ProgArchives is up for debate as to whether it's really prog or not

are you serious with this statement or just joking around again? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 14:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Symphonic Prog is the only 100% genuine prog genre in my view and almost everything else on ProgArchives is up for debate as to whether it's really prog or not

I wasn't being entirely serious about Pavlov's Dog. Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 14:48

so you were joking, goofing and so on... 
Gotcha... 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 15:06
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

That would be responding to the question as if it were question #1.

or maybe a bomb? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 01:26

so you were joking, goofing and so on... 
Gotcha... 
Well, anything in the Crossover Prog or Jazz Rock/Fusion section is debatable as to whether it's really prog or not, but there's never been any doubt that ALL of the artists listed under Symphonic Prog are genuine 100% prog. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 01:47

Well, anything in the Crossover Prog or Jazz Rock/Fusion section is debatable as to whether it's really prog or not, but there's never been any doubt that ALL of the artists listed under Symphonic Prog are genuine 100% prog. 

I disagree. Please read the PA pages for these two genres, everything is well-explained. 

Also adjectives like "genuine", "proper" or "true" don't help in any way, whether you put them next to "prog" or any kind of music/art. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 02:03

Well, anything in the Crossover Prog or Jazz Rock/Fusion section is debatable as to whether it's really prog or not, but there's never been any doubt that ALL of the artists listed under Symphonic Prog are genuine 100% prog. 

I disagree. Please read the PA pages for these two genres, everything is well-explained. 

Also adjectives like "genuine", "proper" or "true" don't help in any way, whether you put them next to "prog" or any kind of music/art. 

But it is debatable. We're debating it now. LOL
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 02:04
^ Also, saying that "anything" in those two subgenres is debatable is an overly generalized way of looking at things

Plus, though I DO think Kansas belong in the Archives, I assure you that there are many, many people who debate their status as a symphonic prog band on here. So not all bands in that category are completely set in stone

Edited by Necrotica - August 29 2022 at 02:06
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 02:05

But it is debatable. We're debating it now. LOL

I'm not debating.
And if you are still goofing around, forget about it... Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 26>