Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Prog Rock Hot Takes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 22:39
^ Talking of Hammill, drummer Andy Edwards has drawn attention to the album Nadirs Big Chance as being an influence on Johnny Lydon . Excellent video this, best Andy has done imo.

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 07:14
^Oh, I'll have to watch that later today, It's been in my recommended a while. 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 07:29
^^ I watched that, interesting point of view there. Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 08:28
I never say anything weird. This post will start beeping in 10 seconds.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Faul_McCartney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faul_McCartney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 11:21
SEBTP is probably the worst Gabriel/Hackett album. Which means it's still amazing, just not as amazing as the rest! 
Collins Genesis was an excellent Neo-prog band, at least until IT.
Duke is better than anything Gabriel has done, and most of what Hackett has done.
Fish is a better singer than Hogarth
Radiation isn't a bad album, and is probably better than Season's End and Holiday in Eden.
People complain that Italian accents sound horrible singing English lyrics, I think Swedish accents are much worse! (Still love several Swedish bands though!)
Big Generator is better than 90125 and almost as prog as ABWH

Edited by Faul_McCartney - March 06 2024 at 11:44
allmediareviews View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allmediareviews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 20:43
Like Children is better than anything Mahavishnu Orchestra ever did
Marscape is better than anything Brand X ever did
Manic Moonlight is the best King's X album since parting ways with Sam Taylor
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2024 at 23:56
Originally posted by Faul_McCartney Faul_McCartney wrote:

He isn't but the first four Marillion albums were higher art.

I've never understood why Hogarth gets so much stick. Is it just because he isn't a 6ft 5in mountain?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 00:00

SEBTP is probably the worst Gabriel/Hackett album. Which means it's still amazing, just not as amazing as the rest! 
Collins Genesis was an excellent Neo-prog band, at least until IT.
Duke is better than anything Gabriel has done, and most of what Hackett has done.
Radiation isn't a bad album, and is probably better than Season's End and Holiday in Eden.
People complain that Italian accents sound horrible singing English lyrics, I think Swedish accents are much worse! (Still love several Swedish bands though!)
Big Generator is better than 90125 and almost as prog as ABWH

These are hot takes indeed, I can't say I agree with any of them. 
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 00:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Talking of Hammill, drummer Andy Edwards has drawn attention to the album Nadirs Big Chance as being an influence on Johnny Lydon . Excellent video this, best Andy has done imo.

He looks and sounds like Griff Rhys Jones. LOL

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 02:10
Originally posted by allmediareviews allmediareviews wrote:

Like Children is better than anything Mahavishnu Orchestra ever did

Yes

Marscape is better than anything Brand X ever did

No

Manic Moonlight is the best King's X album since parting ways with Sam Taylor

Maybe
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 11:06
Olias of Sunhillow is a 5-star album
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 15:15
Originally posted by Faul_McCartney Faul_McCartney wrote:

SEBTP is probably the worst Gabriel/Hackett album. Which means it's still amazing, just not as amazing as the rest! - Really spicy, very debatable
Collins Genesis was an excellent Neo-prog band, at least until IT. - I don't think so
Duke is better than anything Gabriel has done, and most of what Hackett has done. - Very spicy. very very debatable
Fish is a better singer than Hogarth - Different moments and it may be that in general the music of the Fish era is more representative and that gives more points to the Scotsman, very different styles
Radiation isn't a bad album, and is probably better than Season's End and Holiday in Eden. - Ummm...
People complain that Italian accents sound horrible singing English lyrics, I think Swedish accents are much worse! (Still love several Swedish bands though!) - Ummm...
Big Generator is better than 90125 and almost as prog as ABWH - Agree!
Héctor Enrique
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 18:24

SEBTP is probably the worst Gabriel/Hackett album. Which means it's still amazing, just not as amazing as the rest! Arguably, the most representative genesis album with all the tropes and great production (and THE lineup) being classified as the worst?? I don't think so! For me, it rises above everything Genesis did with the possible exception of The Lamb
Collins Genesis was an excellent Neo-prog band, at least until IT. Correction: A GOOD prog band through Duke; Well into the 80s, they went full blown pop. Did you just say Neo-Prog band??
Duke is better than anything Gabriel has done, and most of what Hackett has done. Duke is a great album and is neck and neck with the best solo stuff from both - I can get behind this
Fish is a better singer than Hogarth I agree
Radiation isn't a bad album, and is probably better than Season's End and Holiday in Eden. Can't comment here
People complain that Italian accents sound horrible singing English lyrics, I think Swedish accents are much worse! (Still love several Swedish bands though!) Both should stick to their native tongues; groups like Opeth don't have to - they have been around long enough
Big Generator is better than 90125 and almost as prog as ABWH I agree, but I never thought ABWH was that 'prog' per say

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 20:43
Hot take: I find Rich Mouser's mixes to be way too over the top, and louder than necessary, especially the drums.

Quote People complain that Italian accents sound horrible singing English lyrics, I think Swedish accents are much worse! (Still love several Swedish bands though!)
Swedish accents are fine cuz Swedes generally are better English speakers than Italians. The foreign accents I find the most annoying are Italian, Polish and Japanese.

Edited by Hrychu - March 09 2024 at 20:46
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 22:26
I'm just starting to delve into Radiohead's discography. My uncontroversial opinion is that, so far Kid A and Amnesiac are my favorites. 

My controversial one is... I just got to Hail to the Thief and uh... I like it more than OK Computer *GASP*.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 06:52
^^ I find their electronic material a la Kid A, Amnesiac less dated than OK Computer.

I also really like Moon Shaped Pool; to go out on that note makes me really excited for a new release (if there is one)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 12:28
After the Ordeal > The Battle of Epping Forest

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 15:55
^^ wrong thread?
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 17:15
Michael Romero is as good if not better than John Petrucci, and that’s saying a lot!

Miriodor is the best Canadian band.

Fusion forms the core of American prog.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 18:17
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Fusion forms the core of American prog.

I've long held this belief, and I believe many others do!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>