Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 02:14
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

(Oh dear, stirring the pot here !! )

Hi folks, and now !! A thread where I tell you why - for me - old prog is better than new prog. Really simple reason....

Association.

When I stick on "Dark Side", I'm sitting around at my uncles' house in 1975 with a Mathmos oil lamp on. I stick on King Crimson, and I'm back with my mates in the early 1980's, smashed out of my mind and talking complete gibberish in a selection of grotty flats in Manchester at 2am.
I put on something like Hawkwind and I'm back at UMIST rock night with my mates in the mid 80-'s, full of beer and, er, herbal tobacco, officer. 

And so it goes. Not just the music but the memories. I am knocking on the door of 50, so I have very few associative memories concerning "new prog". Really, it's not just about the music but the scene that the music evokes. 

This is interesting as personally I don't have this association with prog as I've always listened to it on my own and I never saw any prog bands play live until the 90's and then it was old bands (like ELP) playing classic prog. So I'm wondering now whether this allows me to be more open minded about new prog. I love new prog whether it be new old prog or new new prog. I don't listen to old stuff as much as I probably should because I've listened to it so much. Ok I will never get bored with Tarkus or Suppers Ready but it does not conjure up any special nostalgia for me.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 04:45
And I'm back, and Lordy, have some people here missed the point or what ?????

Regarding the original post  - it says, let me put this in bold - for me. Ie. this is a personal opinion based on past experiences. 
What then happens is that a few people misread the thread or draw incorrect conclusions and the whole thing turns into Chinese Whispers. 

"He's said old prog is better than new prog".

Oh no he's not. 

What I've said is that when I put on older music, I have mental associations to when I heard it. I don't get that (obviously) with new prog....... other people will as they're experiencing the music for the first time. 

Misreaders of this thread have said "He's talking gibberish / Macclesfield illuminati / was talking about new prog on a different thread........ " 

I was categorically NOT saying that old prog is better than new prog, fact fans. I listen to lots of new stuff, and like some of it. I listen to lots of old stuff - I like some of it as well. The 60's / 70's were not a universal golden age. But it's an age I grew up in. 

The bigger picture to what I posted is that people talk about music here as if there is some kind of battle between "old" and "new" prog, or that to like one exclusively is the only way to go. Rubbish. There is good music and bad music. That's it. It doesn't matter about the vintage of the music. Also. An appreciation of music is NOT based on some kind of autistic train spottery "Band A is better than Band B for technical reasons" - there are 1001 different reasons why we like or dislike music, and memories and association are one of them. Nor am I saying that factions should exist between old and new prog- I am saying that there is a reason - for me at least - why I enjoy some of the older stuff more. 

Fair enough ? 

I put down "stirring the pot" as an almost aside, as it seems almost verboten by some posters here to do "comparative" posts. But this isn't a comparative, it's an observation about the effects of memory and association on music. 

If you'll excuse me, I'll go back to listening to both old prog and new prog, whilst having some happy memories. :-) 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 11 2015 at 04:52

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 04:56
(Hopefully now someone will actually reply saying "Ah yes, see what you mean, saw Floyd at Earls Court but haven't seen The Cardiacs live as I'm now 103 and can only get around in a bathchair with an oxygen cylinder and a nurse with enormous..... prospects."  

Probably not, though. ;-) )

PS Special thanks to Exitthelemming for the new signature, which now reads "Macclesfield Illuminati" and for Mosh for some very... interesting comparisons... :-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 11 2015 at 05:07

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 05:15

(Hopefully now someone will actually reply saying "Ah yes, see what you mean, saw Floyd at Earls Court but haven't seen The Cardiacs live as I'm now 103 and can only get around in a bathchair with an oxygen cylinder and a nurse with enormous..... prospects."  

Probably not, though. ;-) )

PS Special thanks to Exitthelemming for the new signature, which now reads "Macclesfield Illuminati" and for Mosh for some very... interesting comparisons... :-)

I like to think that most of us understand perfectly that you are not saying one type of music is better than another due to its age, (that would clearly be untenable but your thread title was of little help in this regard) but it just struck me that your OP was probably tongue in cheek (just like half of my response) and probably better off in the Just For Fun section. Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humour.Thumbs Up

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 11 2015 at 05:17
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 05:17

I don't get that (obviously) with new prog...

Not that obvious, because one can think of music that reminds us of great moments in the last months, or weeks, or earlier in the new prog era, rather than back 30 years before that era...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 05:22
:)
Hi Exitthelemming, yes, it was. 

I had some great times in the - well, 70's and 80's - I can even faintly remember some of them, and music was a HUGE part of me growing up, then. So I have very many happy associative memories about concerts, being around with my mates, many of whom have died or moved on, now. All the old venues are gone, my old biker pub is now a *nail salon* - Jesus !!! - it's just normal, but I can stick a track on and be transported back in time to my youth, which was great. 

You'll hear old folks going on about tea dances or how they all used to go down the Locarno to do the Twist. Music is much more than..... just music.

I do enjoy listening to new stuff, but those associative memories aren't there. It partially explains, I think, why a number of people will get stuck on one musical era. There isn't anything wrong with that, it's just human nature. 

Otherwise you'd get 90 year olds listening to hip hop. ;-)

PS Just noticed Jayem's post above - we cross posted. Nice one, Jayem, glad to see it. :-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 11 2015 at 05:24

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 05:37
Originally posted by infernalfrog infernalfrog wrote:

I think it's maybe because the new bands try to sound like the classic bands, not better than them.

Some do, but there's bands that do not. TMV, Kayo Dot, Maudlin of the well et al don't sound like anything I'd heard before.

You could argue that they're not actual prog bands, but that comes down to what you personally consider to be prog rock. I consider them all to be prog due to the simple fact that they are progressive and they are rock bands. Simples.

I do actually prefer 'old prog' I prefer the production and the songwriting, but modern prog bands have plenty to offer and we should be thankful to them for carrying on the tradition of progression in rock music..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 06:33
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think it's maybe because the new bands try to sound like the classic bands, not better than them.

Some do, but there's bands that do not. TMV, Kayo Dot, Maudlin of the well et al don't sound like anything I'd heard before.

You could argue that they're not actual prog bands, but that comes down to what you personally consider to be prog rock. I consider them all to be prog due to the simple fact that they are progressive and they are rock bands. Simples.

I do actually prefer 'old prog' I prefer the production and the songwriting, but modern prog bands have plenty to offer and we should be thankful to them for carrying on the tradition of progression in rock music..

I agree that The Mars Volta and Kayo Dot (I've never heard Maudlin of the Well) are certainly truly original and cannot be accused of retreading the same ground as the 1st Gen Proggers from the early 70's so yes, they are by your own estimation, rock bands that are demonstrably progressive. However, although your criteria is refreshingly simple, would it encompass the likes of Television, the Smiths, Magazine, Echo & the Bunnymen, XTC etc? (and that's just from so called Post Punk, I could list similar from other rock genres) as the prevailing wisdom would consider such as also being rock bands that are progressive. I don't think it's quite as subjective or straightforward as stating it comes down to what you personally consider to be Prog Rock as the genre teams are tasked with finding a 'best fit' for the submissions they receive and do this as objectively as humanly possible using the definitions they have at their disposal. Can you clarify if you consider any demarcation between Prog Rock and rock bands that are progressive is even any longer useful for the purposes of PA?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 10:16

Hi,

That's really strange ... I do not go "back in time" at all.

In so many ways, my time with SPR included, i'm having the best time now, and even then, it was a lot of work, and not as much "fun" as otherwise one would expect.

There were a lot of good things, but when you take 3 of those years and you are doing UCSB and getting a degree, you don't have time to spend on as much music as I had before, and all that, and it dropped things out some.

All in all, let's see ... and lyrics do not always second the music ... don't forget that!

KC's -- the images I see are an "old movie" showing a time and place and how bad it really was. But it also had very good things ... like music! There is nothing else to go after ... there is no girl to wish you had spent time with and all that.  They lost a lot of that later, but still had excellent music to cover.

JT's -- TAAB and PP -- TAAB has never given me visuals or images, and I will have to listen to it again to see if I can determine why. PP, is by far, one of the things that I love listening to the most, and even though some of the lyrics are down right vicious, the album makes sense to me. I've talked about it many times, and the ballerina is the cue!

YES' -- TFTO -- Still one of my top albums in rock music ever. From beginning to the end, if you have ever done a heavy duty meditation, you know where this fits and why you can enjoy it. The rest is all words. CTTE was one that I listened to many times along with AHM and TAAB and it was a very nice listen for me, but it does not illuminate me inside like TFTO eventually did.

Quatermass -- The odd album that we found, that I got because that cover was absolutely great (and Jefferson Airplane copied it later!) turned out to be a massive trip and fun to listen to ... and Guy Guden made it even better by joking over it, and then adding some comedy behind it ... I knew nothing about an English show! But it's visuals -- for me -- are not at all related to the music and its lyrics, but the "burning" organ/synth (my words) in the massively famous cut is still tops in my book.

PF -- ATM and Ummagumma -- Probably the first 2 albums that really helped me learn to trip. Before that it was always about the silly notion that you had to watch the colors change and what not, and for me, it was never that, but it was not a discussion about studying a chair or listening to Mozart either (Huxley). It was a sort of sci-fi world of sorts, and some music that could/should have been used in more sci-fi films!

Lastly ... no music out there gives me more visual content (that doesn't mean memories, btw!!!) than Popol Vuh's first 6 or 7 albums, and Ash Ra Tempel's first 6 albums, and then ... the Cosmic Couriers ... the unending quality and quantity of visuals, and I don't mean that Join Inn sounds like a sexy experience (with or without Kati!), is amazing and still, after all these years one of the best.

FZ -- 200 Motels. As time goes by, and people fail to enjoy this, it becomes more and more an insane image of nowhere land and ohh lala land. As such, it is amazing that anyone put this together, and make Alice in Bullpucky land look and sound like just an idiot commercial spoof, and not a literary piece of work. Each and every time I catch glimpses of it, your head turns in different directions, because you have no point of reference as to where this is going, or where it's coming from, and THAT is its strength ... it's for you to work your experience.

I don't think there is a greater gift by any artists out there ... than that!

Other than Djam Karet, there are not many bands nowadays that give me visuals at all ... and to me that was the main definition of the progressive music.

Edited by moshkito - January 11 2015 at 10:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 10:18
I H8 TLAs. Broken Heart Dead Cry

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I agree that The Mars Volta and Kayo Dot (I've never heard Maudlin of the Well) are certainly truly original and cannot be accused of retreading the same ground as the 1st Gen Proggers from the early 70's so yes, they are by your own estimation, rock bands that are demonstrably progressive. However, although your criteria is refreshingly simple, would it encompass the likes of Television, the Smiths, Magazine, Echo & the Bunnymen, XTC etc? (and that's just from so called Post Punk, I could list similar from other rock genres) as the prevailing wisdom would consider such as also being rock bands that are progressive. I don't think it's quite as subjective or straightforward as stating it comes down to what you personally consider to be Prog Rock as the genre teams are tasked with finding a 'best fit' for the submissions they receive and do this as objectively as humanly possible using the definitions they have at their disposal. Can you clarify if you consider any demarcation between Prog Rock and rock bands that are progressive is even any longer useful for the purposes of PA?

I do consider some demarcation, yes, but the lines are fine and subtle I guess. I consider the likes of The Smiths, Magazine et al as progressive pop in a sense, because they didn't present as rock bands. Indeed, many of those bands made a point of saying how much they disliked rock music generally and what they beieved it stood for. That was the ethos of punk, out of whch those bands emereged. The likes of TMV etc are actual ROCK bands with a progressive element and a sometimes conceptual approach to song writing.

I have often said that I consider the likes of The Future Sound of London and The Orb as progressive but their exclusion from the archives I imagine is based on the fact that they emerged from the dance music/rave scene and not rock. Same prnciple applies to those 'alternative pop bands' you listed.

Progressive rock in iteslf is such a broad church anyway. What exactly relates Caravan and King Crimson for example? Both are regarded as prog rock, but also reside in different subgenres because essentially nothing relates them.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 12:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ pffff.. oh brother

left up to you two you'll have us in skirts. emasculated, clean, sober and EVEN being polite and respectful to others tastes. 

urggg..

what kind of fun forum would this place be. Just image a website where everyone loved Genesis and they won.. well.. they do anyway.. every poll but imagine how boring it would be if everyone loved the same thing and didn't make a point of trying to tell people that they have sh*t for tastes.  LOL  It the internet was like that...  hmmm.. ahhh.. imagine what would the wild west have been if instead of shooting each other down .. they talked things over and gave each other a kiss on the cheek afterwards. BORING!!!  Imagine the internet like that

hah
Agreed. There are many Buddhists, but they followed the one Buddha.

Edited by SteveG - January 11 2015 at 13:20
Free like an Hydra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:41
I think that better or worst are concepts and therefore cannot be sensed. The variables involving in such a claim (A is better than B) are so many that its empirical imposible in practice to reach a better or a worst being objective.

Edited by Free like an Hydra - January 11 2015 at 14:42
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:16
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

For me, one of the things I love about rock music in the sixties, seventies and early eighties is the engineering and production. There was no pro-tools, no quantization, no MIDI, no micro-editing of everything. Often no click track so the rhythm sometimes speeds up or slows down slightly. As a result the performances seem to have a bit more 'life' in them compared to many modern releases. Of course, it's still possible for people to make records this old fashioned way but 99% of people prefer to 'overuse' modern technology. One of my acquaintances owns a professional recording studio. When I've visited him during recording sessions the amount of computer editing that is done is ridiculous, literally every drum hit is edited, the final vocal is a combination of ten different takes then spliced together, same with the guitars and bass and keyboards.

ABSOLUTELY

So few people today in any genre understand this.  This is not just prog, but nearly all music being released today.

The music is in the grooves, not the digits.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:34
To me, the newer stuff fails in the engineering and production department.  Why do a I say this?  Because a recording should be a recording... meaning to record a band or artist at a particular point on their time line.  The recording should represent the band or artist more accurately than the virtuosity of the guy editing in pro tools. 

The other part is that the modern bands fail because they come across and being influenced by prog of the past and it feels either copy catish or desperate to sound progressive or modern.

If you look at Steve Howe or Steve Hackett, they were not listening to prog guys, they were listening to guys like Wes Montgomery, Merle Travis, Les Paul and various classical music.  Bill Bruford and Phil Collins were listening to Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Joe Morello etc.

The prog keyboardists were mostly studying classical music, not learning the into to Lamb Lies Down.

This is the problem as I see it. The bar was raised much higher then.

If people think Steve Howe is a great classically minded folk guitarist, have a listen to Merle Travis.  You'll hear stuff that leaves The Clap light years behind on every front.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 23:39
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

For me, one of the things I love about rock music in the sixties, seventies and early eighties is the engineering and production. There was no pro-tools, no quantization, no MIDI, no micro-editing of everything. Often no click track so the rhythm sometimes speeds up or slows down slightly. As a result the performances seem to have a bit more 'life' in them compared to many modern releases. Of course, it's still possible for people to make records this old fashioned way but 99% of people prefer to 'overuse' modern technology. One of my acquaintances owns a professional recording studio. When I've visited him during recording sessions the amount of computer editing that is done is ridiculous, literally every drum hit is edited, the final vocal is a combination of ten different takes then spliced together, same with the guitars and bass and keyboards.

ABSOLUTELY

So few people today in any genre understand this.  This is not just prog, but nearly all music being released today.

The music is in the grooves, not the digits.

Message to anyone who nods at the quotes above: stop trusting those who dismiss MIDI and late ways. There're just missing tons of never ending JOY !!

I also listen to old fashion music, etc, what's commented about tempo changes makes sense, though one can imitate real-life tempo slight ups and downs on a computer. But to me MIDI and VST studio are the shortest way to HEAVEN, and to answer the statement that it lacks life (and groove), I often dance like crazy (making sure nobody's around to see me) to recordings made the modern way with MIDI, etc.

If you don't believe me I'll film myself dancing (but refraining myself, so I won't be called mental).

Edited by jayem - January 12 2015 at 03:51
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:08
That was a regrettable argument.  It boils down to saying "I felt better when I was young."

But there is a reason why many young people keep coming back to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and if they are really lucky, Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis.  (I saw lots of people in their 20's at the last Yes show I was at.)

The rock bands of the 60's and 70's had to invent it all.  They learned how to play from listening to classical, jazz, blues, and folk recordings.  Some of them at music school.  They had no rock musicians of the past to emulate.

Because it's 40-some years later now, it will never be possible to recapture the thrill of discovery in the rock medium.  As a musical language, it is now mature.  Today's artists grew up listening to the rock of the 60's, 70's and 80's, so now rock becomes a closed circle rather than a blank canvas.

Also, the music of the 60's and 70's had that hippie gentleness to it, but now, there is pressure to make your music aggressive.

I might also say that production ironically makes the older music more appealing as well.  Today's insistence on robotic perfection and crystal-clear clarity in the studio makes the music seem antiseptic and soulless.  Listen to "Yessongs," and you enter a delightfully confusing garden of sounds, where the sound of the mellotron blends with the voice, the bass and drums blend together, and you don't know where the guitar ends and the moog begins.  It is a gorgeous mystery.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:14
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

That was a regrettable argument.  It boils down to saying "I felt better when I was young."

quite the opposite

I went through hell when I was young - music was where I went to turn of the real world crap and escape.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:29

Just to chill the waters a bit and appease the old timers(Tongue) with a little thing that sounds like the good old days.....but it's not. It's from 2014 and contains the finest psych guitar solo of the year hands down. No midi files, autotuning or too much mucking about. Live in the studio just jamming.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 11:24
I understand what the OP is referring to and that's partially because I am also over 60 years old. There is a great deal of association and memories that the older prog evokes in me but that doesn't necessarily make it 'better' than the newer prog music. There are some newer bands that evoke similar feelings when I hear the music.
I do play the prog giants or classic prog artists more but I'm not sure it's simply about association from the past.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>