Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Progressive Rock Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Who's your all-time favourite classic Prog-Rock band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
9 [13.24%]
3 [4.41%]
2 [2.94%]
4 [5.88%]
2 [2.94%]
13 [19.12%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
5 [7.35%]
3 [4.41%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:19
KC
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 21:40
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

No Hawkwind? Very odd. No vote. 

Lmao, kidding! Great poll man, right from the start. Several on here I could have easily voted for.. Yes, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Caravan.. but went with Yes since they need it to catch up here.

Ahhh, a pity vote. Well, I think Yes would catch up anyway. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Lmao, kidding! Great poll man, right from the start. Several on here I could have easily voted for.. Yes, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Caravan.. but went with Yes since they need it to catch up here.

Ahhh, a pity vote. Well, I think Yes would catch up anyway. 

Haha, well more like I was truly torn between those artists that I mentioned so when that happens often I just go with the one(for the one) that needs it the most.

Edit: I guess, technically, Caravan or Wishbone Ash needed it more.. but I don't think either of them realistically win lol. Yes can, as you said.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:24

Don't worry. Hawkwind will be in my upcoming Space Rock poll and they'll most likely win the poll too. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Don't worry. Hawkwind will be in my upcoming Space Rock poll and they'll most likely win the poll too. Smile

Right on. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:34
I'm amazed that King Crimson are well ahead in the poll so far. I would have expected either Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes to be leading the poll.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:39

I'm amazed that King Crimson are well ahead in the poll so far. I would have expected either Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes to be leading the poll.

I'm not surprised. They win often on here. They haven't won yet though, Yes or Genesis could still catch up. I don't think Pink Floyd will but you never know. Watch now a bunch of people will vote for them lol. But yeah KC wins a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 22:56

I'm not surprised. They win often on here. They haven't won yet though, Yes or Genesis could still catch up. I don't think Pink Floyd will but you never know. Watch now a bunch of people will vote for them lol. But yeah KC wins a lot.
I've always found the complex music of King Crimson hard to get into, but I'll have a listen to their albums again when I make my own 8-track King Crimson compilation album. Smile
I voted for Renaissance, but so far, that's the only vote they've received. Confused
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 23:09

I've always found the complex music of King Crimson hard to get into, but I'll have a listen to their albums again when I make my own 8-track King Crimson compilation album. Smile
I voted for Renaissance, but so far, that's the only vote they've received. Confused

I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson lately and so far my favorite album is Larks' Tongues in Aspic. I especially like stuff like 'Easy Money' and 'The Talking Drum.'  The violin is just so great. I like that album a lot more than the debut actually. And Red is a really good album too. Even Islands I like. I'm finding out that they're a serious band. I see why they're considered one of the big classic prog groups, with ELP, Yes, and Genesis. They really do belong there. Renaissance I do like as well. Annie Haslam's voice is hard to beat! The poster on here Delliger is a big fan of theirs also. 

Edit: I better add Pink Floyd to that or people on here are gonna yell at me lol. So for anyone reading this, if you(and the rest of the world probably) include Pink Floyd.. and Jethro Tull, and whoever else then great and clearly you're right(majority rules). For me personally it's King Crimson, ELP, Yes, and Genesis.. and I'd probably add Gentle Giant in there as well, but for sure KC, ELP, Yes, and Genesis. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread here just thought I better add that disclaimer lol.

Edited by YESESIS - October 19 2019 at 23:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 00:10

I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson lately and so far my favorite album is Larks' Tongues in Aspic. I especially like stuff like 'Easy Money' and 'The Talking Drum.'  The violin is just so great. I like that album a lot more than the debut actually. And Red is a really good album too. Even Islands I like. I'm finding out that they're a serious band. I see why they're considered one of the big classic prog groups, with ELP, Yes, and Genesis. They really do belong there. Renaissance I do like as well. Annie Haslam's voice is hard to beat! The poster on here Delliger is a big fan of theirs also. 

Edit: I better add Pink Floyd to that or people on here are gonna yell at me lol. So for anyone reading this, if you(and the rest of the world probably) include Pink Floyd.. and Jethro Tull, and whoever else then great and clearly you're right(majority rules). For me personally it's King Crimson, ELP, Yes, and Genesis.. and I'd probably add Gentle Giant in there as well, but for sure KC, ELP, Yes, and Genesis. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread here just thought I better add that disclaimer lol.
I'm looking forward to listening to King Crimson's albums again, and hopefully, I'll be able to find a song I like from each album to include in a compilation.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 00:12
Rush 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 07:39

Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

I used all 25 options in the poll to include as many Progressive Rock bands from the classic 1970's era as possible, but my apologies if I didn't include your favourite Prog-Rock band in the poll.

You're right. You didn't include my favorite band: Rush

Rush are included now. I swapped them for Spooky Tooth. Smile

Well, they would have got my vote!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 08:29
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

I used all 25 options in the poll to include as many Progressive Rock bands from the classic 1970's era as possible, but my apologies if I didn't include your favourite Prog-Rock band in the poll.

You're right. You didn't include my favorite band: Rush

Rush are included now. I swapped them for Spooky Tooth. Smile

Well, they would have got my vote!
Are you saying you would have voted for Spooky Tooth if they were still included in the poll? I can swap them over for Nektar if you like. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 08:47

Not if you include Pink Floyd in the poll. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not if you include Pink Floyd in the poll. Wink

I'll probably leave Pink Floyd out of the Space Rock poll to give the other bands a chance of winning. I think Pink Floyd have been well-represented already in my other various polls. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 12:07
^ Pink Floyd is well represented just about anywhere the word music is used. Tongue
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:15
Difficult choice. I like 3 of Pink Floyd's albums and 3 Yes albums, but don't care much for the rest of those bands' catalogues. I love Wishbone Ash but I don't think they're particularly prog. Argus I would argue is a prog album, and Handy, Phoenix and The Pilgrim from the first two albums are progressive songs, but the rest of their catalogue is more classic rock.

So I voted for Camel because I really like all 6 of the Peter Bardens era albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:33
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Difficult choice. I like 3 of Pink Floyd's albums and 3 Yes albums, but don't care much for the rest of those bands' catalogues. I love Wishbone Ash but I don't think they're particularly prog. Argus I would argue is a prog album, and Handy, Phoenix and The Pilgrim from the first two albums are progressive songs, but the rest of their catalogue is more classic rock.

So I voted for Camel because I really like all 6 of the Peter Bardens era albums.

I agree with you about Wishbone Ash - they're mainly a Hard Rock band apart from the "proggy-sounding" "Argos" album. Wishbone Ash will have a second chance to win though in my upcoming Classic British Hard Rock poll. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:42
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Dark side of the moon, wish you were here and animals.

The Yes album, fragile and close to the edge.

How did I do? Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 20 2019 at 14:42
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 17:20
Genesis!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>