Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog inspired by Books and Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

I really like the band Ritual(whatever happened to them anyway?)so I'll have to look into those. I've actually never heard of that writer.

Maybe not the writer but you surley saw the Moomins before...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:39
I think this thread can have hundreds of pages 'cause there are numberless Songs (and band names)
inspired by books.

Fantasy Writers like Moorcock wrote for and performed with Hawkwind and Blue Öyster Cult,
Julian Jay Savarin had his own Prog Albums about his books.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:41
Two of the most obvious ones I can think of are Camel's Music Inspired by The Snow Goose (inspired by Paul Gallico's novella of Dunkirk) and Dust and Dreams (inspired by Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath).

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:42
King's X "Out of the Silent Planet" is, I believe, based on the C.S. Lewis space trilogy.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:44
Y'all are nerds... I LOVE IT.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:46
Tom Sawyer is based on ... oh, crap ... I forget
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:50
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

I really like the band Ritual(whatever happened to them anyway?)so I'll have to look into those. I've actually never heard of that writer.

Maybe not the writer but you surley saw the Moomins before...

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe it's time to take away my nerd card. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:51
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. LOL
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:56
Flight of Icarus by Iron Maiden is based on Ovid's Metamorphoses
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 15:57

That's the one!

Which means Force 10 must be based on the Guns of Navarone.   

Edited by Jaketejas - July 01 2020 at 16:03
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:11
Point of No Return by Kansas is based on the Flat-Earth Society's publication entitled "Zetetic Astronomy - Earth: Not a Globe. An experimental inquiry into the true figure of the earth: proving it a plane, without axial or orbital motion; and the only material world in the universe" by Parallax, 1865
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:16

That's the one!

Although I was joking in reality Huck Finn first appeared in Tom Sawyer so it's not really that much of a stretch. However, I don't think when Neil wrote the lyrics he really had either story or character in mind. I think it was just a metaphor for someone who all of a sudden finds himself in a dangerous situation or one in which he was unprepared for but faces it head on nonetheless.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 01 2020 at 16:18
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:30

I'm pretty sure "Close to the Edge" by Yes was apparently inspired by Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. 

I was going to mention "Cinema Show" and that it was inspired by the Wasteland by T.S. Elliot but someone beat me to it (although I have never seen any mention before that it was only based on the third part of it). ;)

The Gentle Giant songs "pantagruel's nativity" and "the advent of panurge" are inspired by Gargantua and Pantagruel by the French writer Francois Rabelais.

Fairly certain all three of these are correct!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:32

That's the one!

Although I was joking in reality Huck Finn first appeared in Tom Sawyer so it's not really that much of a stretch. However, I don't think when Neil wrote the lyrics he really had either story or character in mind. I think it was just a metaphor for someone who all of a sudden finds himself in a dangerous situation or one in which he was unprepared for but faces it head on nonetheless.

Been revisiting some of Mark Twain's stories lately.
Huckleberry Finn and Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court were faves when I was a kid.

But, yes! I got your joke. Tom Sawyer is actually a separate book.

And, regarding the song. I think you are probably right about Tom Sawyer, although sometimes I get the sense that the character is insecure, and is worried about falling behind his peers, or being passed up for being considered outdated. I have to admit. I don't really know. I usually am focused on the percussion when I listen to it.

Edited by Jaketejas - July 01 2020 at 16:34
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:38
What about ... Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz? Did anyone mention anything about that? There is supposed to be a sync up.

There is also a more recent sync up between King Kong and Cretaceous Chasm by Blotted Science that is quite brutal.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:40
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Almost forgot this one: Dust and Dreams is Camels telling of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.
'

One of my all time favorite albums. Maybe I should read the book. Tongue
The book is brilliant but I found it depressing. It is a story of hardship. I am familiar with several of the locations. The film version with Henry Fonda is also excellent.

One of my absolute favorite books. After reading it I fell into a Steinbeck fever and read all other books by him too.
I love Steinbeck as well and have read most of his books.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:41
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Two of the most obvious ones I can think of are Camel's Music Inspired by The Snow Goose (inspired by Paul Gallico's novella of Dunkirk) and Dust and Dreams (inspired by Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath).

I recommend reading The Snow Goose. Beautifully told story.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 16:47
Red Barchetta reminds me of the movie The Last Chase
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 17:10
Last one ... I think "Home at Last" by Steely Dan taps into Homer's Odyssey.
I put that one in there for Micky!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 17:12

That's the one!

Been revisiting some of Mark Twain's stories lately.
Huckleberry Finn and Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court were faves when I was a kid.

But, yes! I got your joke. Tom Sawyer is actually a separate book.

And, regarding the song. I think you are probably right about Tom Sawyer, although sometimes I get the sense that the character is insecure, and is worried about falling behind his peers, or being passed up for being considered outdated. I have to admit. I don't really know. I usually am focused on the percussion when I listen to it.

I don't really know either. That was just speculation. But maybe one of us knows someone who does and then can report back but without saying who it was. ;) LOL 

Ok, that's the last time I promise. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>