Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands whose albums sound the same

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 13:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

As a general point - surely we love bands and keep going back to them because we like their sound?…..

Exactly.Approve

Hi,

I think that is too simple ... if all you like is the "sound", I guarantee you that by the third time, you won't bother with that band again!

You'll get bored with it really quick!

Just like progressive rock fans that do not like piano concertos, even when they are done by Keith Emerson ... I'm not sure they are listening to the music at all, anyway! Ouch
I suspect you've misunderstood what he actually means by "the sound".

Of course he did, but Moshkito is always missing the point of posts.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jammo58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammo58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 14:30
Well, here is an alltime favourite of mine! 
This thing has been actually brewing since the early hours of music. I mean it has been an issue since the 15th century or so...  The very Ockegheim, de Lassus, Tallis or the mighty Palestrina, de Prez or what have you, produced the very same kind of acoustical signals. And the same songs was played also during the Barock era. Copying is THE thing. Even the grandest of all, Johann Sebastian Bach used sometimes tricks and tales from his predecessors. Believe me, I know their music.(Anyway, JS Bach is THE BEST of all, I tell you!) 
Ok, to the point. I deem Ozric Tentacles to be by far the best self-copying band in history if we don't count Vivaldi: I have some twenty albums by the former and about sixty from the latter, I have lost the count - both of which I have played zillions of times - so I think I'm justified to say what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong , I just LOVE the music of both of them. Ozric is really wonderful brainy stuff. But they're boring after a longer listen.
Recently I have been focusing deeply on the bands that have been nominated as "neoprog". You know Marillion and IQ and their ilk. OMG! Marillion just keeps retelling their tale of Gabriel-era Genesis all of the time, or at least Fish-lead band did that. IQ is slightly better. And I just "hate" the major body of the works of other neoprog bands out there - they are mostly copycats. I will tell you details of other bands later, maybe. 
Now to the Canadian group Rush. I love their music dearly, But to be honest, after Moving Pictures (which I deem their finest hour) they started to produce (Vivaldian-type) copies of their previous successes.
...to be continued?!--

Happiness runs
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 16:43
I have found comfort in a new album by a favorite artist or band. At the same time, I have also been disappointed in the same thing. It depends on whether the music gets me at a visceral level to the extent that I do not mind the sameness.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 23:54
Flower Kings
Dream Theater (later albums from 2002 onward)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 00:53
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Flower Kings
Dream Theater (later albums from 2002 onward)

I'd say DT starting with Systemic Chaos, they were still trying new things up to Octavarium. 

I agree about TFK, I'd also add later day Kaipa and Neal Morse.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 01:22
Originally posted by Jammo58 Jammo58 wrote:

Well, here is an alltime favourite of mine! 
This thing has been actually brewing since the early hours of music. I mean it has been an issue since the 15th century or so...  The very Ockegheim, de Lassus, Tallis or the mighty Palestrina, de Prez or what have you, produced the very same kind of acoustical signals. And the same songs was played also during the Barock era. Copying is THE thing. Even the grandest of all, Johann Sebastian Bach used sometimes tricks and tales from his predecessors. Believe me, I know their music.(Anyway, JS Bach is THE BEST of all, I tell you!) 
Ok, to the point. I deem Ozric Tentacles to be by far the best self-copying band in history if we don't count Vivaldi: I have some twenty albums by the former and about sixty from the latter, I have lost the count - both of which I have played zillions of times - so I think I'm justified to say what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong , I just LOVE the music of both of them. Ozric is really wonderful brainy stuff. But they're boring after a longer listen.
Recently I have been focusing deeply on the bands that have been nominated as "neoprog". You know Marillion and IQ and their ilk. OMG! Marillion just keeps retelling their tale of Gabriel-era Genesis all of the time, or at least Fish-lead band did that. IQ is slightly better. And I just "hate" the major body of the works of other neoprog bands out there - they are mostly copycats. I will tell you details of other bands later, maybe. 
Now to the Canadian group Rush. I love their music dearly, But to be honest, after Moving Pictures (which I deem their finest hour) they started to produce (Vivaldian-type) copies of their previous successes.
...to be continued?!--

very little of that seems true to me

Marillion got off the Gabriel era Genesis very quickly , I mean what part of Fugazi sounds like Genesis? I don't hear it all.

neo prog bashing? yep I expected and usually it comes from people who don't understand it.

Rush after Moving Pictures diversified quite heavily. Power Windows was nothing like anything they had done and the 90's albums were more hard rock based. If they were copying anyone on Test For Echo it was Nirvana!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 08:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rush after Moving Pictures diversified quite heavily. Power Windows was nothing like anything they had done and the 90's albums were more hard rock based. If they were copying anyone on Test For Echo it was Nirvana!

The Rush examples make me laugh.

Listen to Fly By Night and then Permanent Waves, then Power Windows, then Roll The Bones, then Snakes And Arrows.

Anyone who thinks that all sounds the same needs to have their hearing checked.

Edited by Jeffro - October 10 2022 at 08:13
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jammo58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammo58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 08:53
To me it just seems to be so that in order to claim that one band has made (too many) ”similar” sounding albums, one must be quite familiar with the albums. Paradoxically this has an unfortunate effect to the very aim itself. The more you focus on something, zoom in if you like, the more differences you are bound to detect. Remember the fractal nature of things. The more you zoom in the more you will see, er, hear..
Happiness runs
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2022 at 10:00
The main culprit for me is Neal Morse, all iterations. I've stopped buying his NMB albums.....
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2022 at 16:54
it’s harder for a 3 piece band to sound different then a 5 piece to my ears -fewer people fewer ideas- 
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2022 at 19:19
first band to come in my mind Motorhead!!!, love them 

Prog acts and i love too:

Airbag
Flower Kings

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2022 at 01:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The main culprit for me is Neal Morse, all iterations. I've stopped buying his NMB albums.....

same here
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2022 at 01:06
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

it’s harder for a 3 piece band to sound different then a 5 piece to my ears -fewer people fewer ideas- 

Its more to do with intention than multiplicity of ideas imo. Genesis (classic 5 piece) had a massive creative pool of talent but tended to stick to the tried and tested from album to album. ELP on the other hand completely changed from BSS to Works yet only had one truly creative member in the line up. 
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 14:06
all djent is just the same chugga-chugga in uncommon time signatures to me

all "atmospheric" modern prog also tends to be very Pineapplehead Of Gazpachonathema

the worst case scenario for yours truly is of course when these two worlds collide
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 15:29
What about Status Quo ?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 15:32
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

What about Status Quo ?

not prog.

This thread is about prog bands whose albums sound the same. Or it would not have been in the prog music lounge. 
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 15:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

What about Status Quo ?

not prog.

This thread is about prog bands whose albums sound the same. Or it would not have been in the prog music lounge. 

they started as a psychedelic band
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2022 at 15:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

What about Status Quo ?

not prog.

It's nice to see you're maintaining the status quo. Tongue
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 22:43
I agree about DT who I mostly dislike

RUSH always offends me ear in exactly the same way
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2022 at 22:44
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Brutal.  I've despised his sappyness for decades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>