Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Indie?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 11:17
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

^Sufjan is currently undergoing evaluation in Prog Folk with two Yes votes. 🙂

Speaking of "progressive indie", we still need to hear your thoughts on AUA, Mike.

Well personally i find nothing progressive about him. Art rock / art folk isn't progressive.
I've not seen one other source that indicates he's progressive and i've heard most of his albums personally and don't find him even remotely progressive.
The way I see it Sufjan Stevens is a progressive artist in the truest sense of the word. But of course he isn't "Prog" as such. Sufjan would have fitted nicely in Art Rock when that was a sub genre here. It's replacement Crossover is a better fit than Prog Folk imo. Here's a source that indicates he is progressive. Genre descriptions on some of his albums on RYM:

Illinois, Age of Adz, The Ascension: Progressive Pop

Aporia, Meditations, Lamentations, Revelations, Celebrations, Incantations: Progressive Electronic

All Delighted People EP (but an hour long album): Progressive Rock, Progressive Pop

This song is closer to Gentle Giant than your average indie band really.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 11:38
Nothing progressive about Sufjan Stevens. I would not even pretend to understand the arguments behind that thinking. To me he is, to use a term I like from Mike's site, prog adjacent, but Prog or not, he is definitely progressive in his approach to music and the music definitely has progressive qualities.

I would have no issue with him in PA, but don't care that much how we classify genre-wise. But yes, I agree, he is truly progressive even if not at all Prog. To me he has enough in common with music and approaches under the Prog umbrella. Sticking to Prog-as-genre leads to less progressive music because a big part of being progressive to me is not being generic, changing approaches, being able to be unconventional. I would have thought Crossover if in PA, which split from our old Art Rock category.

Edited by Logan - February 09 2024 at 11:40
allmediareviews View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allmediareviews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 15:52
MPAR - Modern Progressive Art Rock
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/SoundscapeMN/favorite-modern-progressive-art-rock-albums-200-1/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 19:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Nothing progressive about Sufjan Stevens. I would not even pretend to understand the arguments behind that thinking. To me he is, to use a term I like from Mike's site, prog adjacent, but Prog or not, he is definitely progressive in his approach to music and the music definitely has progressive qualities.

I would have no issue with him in PA, but don't care that much how we classify genre-wise. But yes, I agree, he is truly progressive even if not at all Prog. To me he has enough in common with music and approaches under the Prog umbrella. Sticking to Prog-as-genre leads to less progressive music because a big part of being progressive to me is not being generic, changing approaches, being able to be unconventional. I would have thought Crossover if in PA, which split from our old Art Rock category.

I haven't heard that album in a while. That is definitely his most progressive album but to my ears it's more of an experimental orchestrated pop album much like The Beatles on Sgt Peppers. I'd be OK with Sufjan in Crossover but to my ears he's just not progressive rock. The debate between progressive meaning experimental and fresh vs progressive rock in the classic sense has been debated ad nauseam on this site with the consensus that this site is the latter and not the former.

If we were to simply call it the Prog and Experimental Archives then that would be much more inclusive and in that case Sufjan would surely fit in. To me he's art pop, art rock, chamber pop but not progressive rock. If he gets voted to be included though i'm not going to throw a tantrum. I'll just write some reviews because he's definitely crafted some EXCELLENT albums especially THE AGE OF ADZ.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8530c62429fe96c3',t:'MTcwNzUzMDU4OC45NTMwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2024 at 19:53
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

^Sufjan is currently undergoing evaluation in Prog Folk with two Yes votes. 🙂

Speaking of "progressive indie", we still need to hear your thoughts on AUA, Mike.

Well personally i find nothing progressive about him. Art rock / art folk isn't progressive.
I've not seen one other source that indicates he's progressive and i've heard most of his albums personally and don't find him even remotely progressive.
The way I see it Sufjan Stevens is a progressive artist in the truest sense of the word. But of course he isn't "Prog" as such. Sufjan would have fitted nicely in Art Rock when that was a sub genre here. It's replacement Crossover is a better fit than Prog Folk imo. Here's a source that indicates he is progressive. Genre descriptions on some of his albums on RYM:

Illinois, Age of Adz, The Ascension: Progressive Pop

Aporia, Meditations, Lamentations, Revelations, Celebrations, Incantations: Progressive Electronic

All Delighted People EP (but an hour long album): Progressive Rock, Progressive Pop

This song is closer to Gentle Giant than your average indie band really.

We evaluated SUFJAN on the Eclectic team recently and i've owned most of his albums for over a decade so i'm quite familiar with him and his style. I've listened quite intently too. Art rock is the perfect category for him but if he was to get on PA then i'd agree that CROSSOVER is the most appropriate place for him.

I have not heard the ALL DELIGHTED PEOPLE EP so maybe that will be his ticket for inclusion. I'll check that out soon :)

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85310c495e829872',t:'MTcwNzUzMzQ2Mi4wNzMwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 01:57

We evaluated SUFJAN on the Eclectic team recently and i've owned most of his albums for over a decade so i'm quite familiar with him and his style. I've listened quite intently too. Art rock is the perfect category for him but if he was to get on PA then i'd agree that CROSSOVER is the most appropriate place for him.

I have not heard the ALL DELIGHTED PEOPLE EP so maybe that will be his ticket for inclusion. I'll check that out soon :)
That's nice, but categorically stating that

Art rock isn't progressive.
(I removed Art Folk as I don't really have an opinion about it) is actually objectically wrong. Art Rock has always been Progressive Rocks closest relative. It's completely normal for a band or an album to be categorized as both. And it can be quite random as the borders between genres aren't clear and there's so much overlap.

Art Rock attempts to expand the bounds of Rock within conventional structures, often using outside influences or experimentation for conceptual or thematic purpose.  

Progressive Rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures.

...its basically saying the same thing twice using different words. Art Rock rarely takes things as a far as Progressive Rock does (sometimes it does though). Albums such as King Crimson's Discipline or Peter Hammill's A Black Box are normally considered Art Rock before Progressive Rock. But that doesn't stop them from being Progressive Rock as well. They're both. What separates one album from the other is often just more of a feel or the sound of it - rather than the actual musical content.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 05:33
I'm not sure whether I think Sufjan Stevens should be on PA, but he sounds more prog than Indie to me. But this may just be because the Indie genre label is such a mess, I mean, the term "Indie" originally refers to what kind of record label somebody is signed up to, which has no implications for the music whatsoever. According to that logic all prog is indie that isn't on major labels, and that's a lot. What has Sufjan Stevens in common with R.E.M.? Nothing at all. 

Edited by Lewian - February 10 2024 at 06:16
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 06:57

That's nice, but categorically stating that

Art rock isn't progressive.
(I removed Art Folk as I don't really have an opinion about it) is actually objectically wrong. Art Rock has always been Progressive Rocks closest relative. It's completely normal for a band or an album to be categorized as both. And it can be quite random as the borders between genres aren't clear and there's so much overlap.

Art Rock attempts to expand the bounds of Rock within conventional structures, often using outside influences or experimentation for conceptual or thematic purpose.  

Progressive Rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures.

...its basically saying the same thing twice using different words. Art Rock rarely takes things as a far as Progressive Rock does (sometimes it does though). Albums such as King Crimson's Discipline or Peter Hammill's A Black Box are normally considered Art Rock before Progressive Rock. But that doesn't stop them from being Progressive Rock as well. They're both. What separates one album from the other is often just more of a feel or the sound of it - rather than the actual musical content.
To paraphrase Spock from Star Trek, "A distinction that makes no distinction is not distinct."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 10:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm not sure whether I think Sufjan Stevens should be on PA, but he sounds more prog than Indie to me. But this may just be because the Indie genre label is such a mess, I mean, the term "Indie" originally refers to what kind of record label somebody is signed up to, which has no implications for the music whatsoever. According to that logic all prog is indie that isn't on major labels, and that's a lot. What has Sufjan Stevens in common with R.E.M.? Nothing at all. 

Yeah, indie rock doesn't mean that any longer. It's sort of an umbrella term now alternative rock bands that take more liberties. Indie rock is more experimental, less reliant on traditional song structures and like punk, a DIY ethos. It's obviously not adequate to describe any band's overall sound. R.E.M. is now more accurately called jangle pop / power pop / alternative rock because they weren't exactly as experimental as Sufjan Stevans. Sure art rock and progressive rock are related but cousins aren't the same human being so neither are these related genres. For simplicity's sake, art rock seems like what we call crossover on PA for the most part. I'd be fine with Stevens there and not sure why he wasn't just suggested there first.

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8535fbfe4a2d6459',t:'MTcwNzU4NTIyMy41NDYwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 16:27

Art Rock has always been Progressive Rocks closest relative. It's completely normal for a band or an album to be categorized as both.

I agree. The "All Music Guide to Rock" book that I purchased during the late '90s (and possibly also the website) doesn't make any distinction at all, describing all relevant artists as "Art-Rock/Progressive-Rock".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 16:39
^ they used to be the same thing but not any longer just like new wave used to refer to punk and post-punk as well as synthpop and what it means today

I consider all prog to be art rock but not all art rock to be prog because prog is art rock with technical complexities added

Doesn't seem that there is a consensus on this but in the end, i love it all anyway so who cares!

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'853830f26d41232c',t:'MTcwNzYwODM2My45OTkwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 21:33
Yeah, I, too, consider "art rock" to be a wider umbrella that encompasses progressive rock. Prog is a form of art rock.
ProgExpo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgExpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2024 at 23:11
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Yeah, I, too, consider "art rock" to be a wider umbrella that encompasses progressive rock. Prog is a form of art rock.
Not in Europe, and especially not in the 1970s. Progressive rock was strongly connected to counterculture or underground music in its heyday in the early 1970s, whereas art rock was mainstream rock with an artistic approach.
ProgExpo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgExpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 00:42

Art Rock has always been Progressive Rocks closest relative.
Indirect relatives only, and that's only because of the fact that both were under a rock-in-general meta-genre umbrella but two fundamentally different genres. These examples will enlighten you:

Original Art Rock from 1969, example 1

Original Art Rock from 1969, example 2

Original Progressive rock from 1969, example 1

Original Progressive rock from 1969, example 2

Edited by ProgExpo - February 11 2024 at 00:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 01:21
^You can pretty much make up the story you feel like. Can you really speak for all of Europe? I believe what I have written is pretty much correct, and it would be very easy for me to back it up with tons of written articles if I felt like it. I think I have a good understanding when of Art Rock and when Progressive Rock is more relevant. There are differences of course but the countercultural/mainstream differences are more cultural than musical. The musical differences aren't particularly fundamental. Family and King Crimson are labeled as both Art Rock and Progressive Rock - everywhere.

ProgExpo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgExpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 01:27

Family and King Crimson are labeled as both Art Rock and Progressive Rock - everywhere.

Maybe in America. In America, art rock and progressive rock have always been synonymous. In Europe, no.

And I don't blame American fans for it. American proggy acts were actually both art rock and progressive. Kansas, the band, for example, has always been both art rock and progressive rock. Zappa as well. On the other side of Atlantic, however, Family has always been progressive rock only (although just before they were going to be disbanded, they switched to 'Rock' as a distinct genre, like, e.g., The Who was at the time), as well as King Crimson.

Edited by ProgExpo - February 11 2024 at 01:44
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 01:47
This is what https://www.allmusic.com says about Van der Graaf Generator:

Van der Graaf Generator

Art rock unit led by Peter Hammill, distinguished for a dynamic range rivaled only by King Crimson and for their surprising influence on British punk.

Active
1960s - 2020s

Formed
1967 in Manchester, England

Genre
Pop/Rock

Styles
Art Rock, Experimental, Prog-Rock

Group Members
Guy Evans, Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton, Nic Potter, David Jackson, Chas Dickie, Chris Judge Smith, Graham Smith, Keith Ellis, Nick Pearn

Note the use of both "Art Rock" and "Prog-Rock" (which I highlighted) to describe this group.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 01:57
Originally posted by ProgExpo ProgExpo wrote:

Family and King Crimson are labeled as both Art Rock and Progressive Rock - everywhere.
Maybe in America. In America, art rock and progressive rock have always been synonymous. In Europe, no.
I'm European and I didn't claim that they were synonymous. But you claim they are two fundamentally different genres. Which is absurd. Just take a look around. Or ask other people here. You won't find much if any backing. Sometimes - or often personal experiences or truths aren't as representative as you may think.
ProgExpo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgExpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 01:59
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is what https://www.allmusic.com says about Van der Graaf Generator:

Van der Graaf Generator

Art rock unit led by Peter Hammill, distinguished for a dynamic range rivaled only by King Crimson and for their surprising influence on British punk.

Active
1960s - 2020s

Formed
1967 in Manchester, England

Genre
Pop/Rock

Styles
Art Rock, Experimental, Prog-Rock

Group Members
Guy Evans, Peter Hammill, Hugh Banton, Nic Potter, David Jackson, Chas Dickie, Chris Judge Smith, Graham Smith, Keith Ellis, Nick Pearn

Note the use of both "Art Rock" and "Prog-Rock" (which I highlighted) to describe this group.

It's OK. We live in a globalised world of multiplied tags now. "All Music" site staff combined tags don't surprise me at all. However, in the seventies, when progressive rock was a current genre, it wasn't the case; then there was one tag for one band. Hence, hardly anybody in Europe labelled Van der Graaf Generator as art rock, i.e., the same as 10cc or Supertramp were labelled back then. Because art rock meant pop-rock with an artistic attitude. But pop-rock also meant non-progressive.

Edited by ProgExpo - February 11 2024 at 02:19
ProgExpo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgExpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 02:06

Originally posted by ProgExpo ProgExpo wrote:

But you claim they are two fundamentally different genres. 
Of course, because in Europe back then, mainstream and underground music were two fundamentally different things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>