Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 08:23
When I started buying records in the late 1960s early 1970s,all that I could afford were label sampler albums.In those days,labels like Vertigo,Island and Charisma would release albums made up of tracks by the artists on the labels roster.
The first of these that I bought was an Island sampler called.Nice Enough to Eat.This contained tracks by Jethro Tull,Nick Drake,Fairport Convention,Mott the Hoople and King Crimson.I know that the odd track by a band isn't necessarily a reflection on the rest of their output but it was enough to influence me to buy the studio albums by the bands that I was intrugued by.

Island and Charisma released some excellent sampler albums other than the one I've already mentioned.For instance,Charisma brought out a sampler called One More Chance.This included the 7'' single version of Genesis' Seven Stones,tracks by Monty Python,Capability Brown,Joburg Hawk and many more.

More samplers I say.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

When I started buying records in the late 1960s early 1970s,all that I could afford were label sampler albums.In those days,labels like Vertigo,Island and Charisma would release albums made up of tracks by the artists on the labels roster.
The first of these that I bought was an Island sampler called.Nice Enough to Eat.This contained tracks by Jethro Tull,Nick Drake,Fairport Convention,Mott the Hoople and King Crimson.I know that the odd track by a band isn't necessarily a reflection on the rest of their output but it was enough to influence me to buy the studio albums by the bands that I was intrugued by.

Island and Charisma released some excellent sampler albums other than the one I've already mentioned.For instance,Charisma brought out a sampler called One More Chance.This included the 7'' single version of Genesis' Seven Stones,tracks by Monty Python,Capability Brown,Joburg Hawk and many more.

More samplers I say.

A few years ago a CD came out which was a compilation of most of the tracks from Nice Enough To Eat and another sampler called You Can All Join In, cunningly entitled Nice Enough To Join In. They missed out 21st Century Schizoid Man though. 
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:06
Originally posted by the_rider the_rider wrote:

IMO, the best way to get into a band nowdays is to download for own listening, then buy what you think is the best albums, slowely, one a a time, beginning with the one you from your download-experience find the best and most tracks on.

Assuming of course such downloads are 100% legal - after all, we don't support illegal downloads, do we?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I'd tend to agree with Raff & Jean as far as live albums as an introduction to a band is concerned; it's the way I've always gone & thus far has rarely steered me wrong.

A couple of recommendations for 'best of' albums though:

Pink Floyd - Echoes; remixed completely by David Gilmour in such a way as it almost comes across as a single piece of work, with the tracks not put down chronologically, but in such a way as to compliment the song before & afterward (and finally putting 'Shine On...' together as a single 17 minute piece)

Mostly Autumn - Heroes Never Die; an unusual approach to a 'best of' in that MA chose the tracks to go onto the album, then re-recorded new versions of them - well worth checking out

I just had a look at that album and noticed that "Echoes" is only 16:31 long on it, while on "Meddle" it is 23:27 Angry. what happened to the other 7 minutes? what was cut out? Confused

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 14:27
My only way to introduce myself to new prog bands is to buy their highest rated album... I don't tolerate Greatest hits or Live albums unless is for other kinds of music, for example for more popular rock or metal bands that actually do have hits and their other songs are not that great, then I can live with just a compilation. But for all my PA-certified discs (LOL), as well as for some other artists, I only go with albums... Compilations don't give you the whole idea of an artist's ouvre, and Live recordings are usually different, faster-played, sound is poor, there's audience noise... I just can't take them.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 05:55
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Mostly Autumn - Heroes Never Die; an unusual approach to a 'best of' in that MA chose the tracks to go onto the album, then re-recorded new versions of them - well worth checking out

Spot on Jim, the care and attention given to that release sets it apart as the standard for others to aspire to.
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 01:33
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

And don't tell me I don't love prog because I'm not listening to the tracks in the order the artist intended on the original album. If someone skips past More Fool Me when they listen to Selling England by the Pound they're guilty of the same crime. Wink
They just threw Phil a bone and let him sing a song, the correct way to listen to SEBTP is to skip More Fool MeTongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 06:10
Originally posted by kenmartree kenmartree wrote:

Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

And don't tell me I don't love prog because I'm not listening to the tracks in the order the artist intended on the original album. If someone skips past More Fool Me when they listen to Selling England by the Pound they're guilty of the same crime. Wink
They just threw Phil a bone and let him sing a song, the correct way to listen to SEBTP is to skip More Fool MeTongue

I'm one of the few who likes MFM, I think it's one of Phil's best vocal performances. It shows a fragility and vulnerability missing from his later bombast. Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
TartanTantrum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:12
In 1999 I discovered that a prog rock revival was going on. In fact prog rock had not died in the 70's. With the exception of Marillion in the 80's, I had no idea that neo-prog had started. When I found this out I was keen to check out new bands who already had an impressive back catalogue. I have always tried live albums first as I believe if a band can do it live and I like the music, then it will be worthwhile investing in their studio albums. Thsi worked well for The Flower Kings as I bought Alive on Planet Earth, and I was knocked out when I heard Church of your Heart in particular and the rest of the tracks in general. Mind you I could never understand why they covered The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway considering their impressive recording list. Needless to say I bought everything by the band.

The next I tried was Forever Live by IQ. Another impressive work and again led be to buying everything they had released.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 13:58
My friend just me told that the Marillion website will send you a free compilation (CD or download) if you register. He's a huge fan of Fish-era Marillion (in fact, he's going to see Fish in Edinburgh tonight) but never paid any attention to the band after Fish left. He says the compilation has made him interested in seeking out more of the Hogarth albums.

Edited by A B Negative - March 08 2008 at 09:38
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 15:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I just had a look at that album and noticed that "Echoes" is only 16:31 long on it, while on "Meddle" it is 23:27 Angry. what happened to the other 7 minutes? what was cut out? Confused

A few minutes from the first half (several sections edited), most of the trippy 'seagull' section, and a bit from the end.  The whole song still flows, and if you had not heard the original, you would not know there is anything missing.

A collection of great dance songs got me into the Floyd, it has an edited version of Shine On - an edited version of part 1 with the added verse from part 2 spliced in. It was often the version you would hear on the radio as it is a cut down version of the complete song. - The version on Echoes extends it out a bit more but is a similar thing.
When I bought WYWH a year later, I was quite amazed when I heard the song(s) in the original format.

Dance Songs also contains a re-recording of Money, so there is some novelty value in that.

Edited by enigma - March 07 2008 at 15:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123