Topic ClosedAbout your native progressive rock bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 11:10
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

I'm not that of a native-language Prog or Rock listener, but here are some real gems that should get some more light to the rest of the world:

Spinetta Jade - Bajo Belgrano (excellent Jazz Fusion, in the Funk style of Fusion)
Invisible - Durazno Sangrado (should definitely be a classic Prog album in the top 100, very elaborated jazz rock)
Pescado Rabioso - 2 & Desatormentandonos (not really Prog, but they're a great mix of Prog leanings with blues and hard rock, classic 70's)
Pappo's Blues - Triangulo (classic heavy blues from my country)
Sui Generis and Seru Giran are classic folk/pop bands, though I don't admire them really....
Alejandro Herrera - Minority Report (is, well, very unknown, but he played at my house with top-notch jazz musicians from my country, and he released his first solo album, which is awesome jazz fusion with a lot of funk elements)
Well pretty much Luis Alberto Spinetta's whole catalogue is very worth of checking...

But where my country really shines in the music side, is in jazz and tango.

And La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros. And Crucis (probably #6 on my All-Time Favourite Prog Bands list). I'd say your country shines when it comes to prog Smile

Ah, thanks buddy, but like I said, what REALLY shines here, is Jazz and TangoTongue
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 11:10
And fotgot this one:

Nazca

WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 12:18

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

I'm not that of a native-language Prog or Rock listener, but here are some real gems that should get some more light to the rest of the world:

Spinetta Jade - Bajo Belgrano (excellent Jazz Fusion, in the Funk style of Fusion)
Invisible - Durazno Sangrado (should definitely be a classic Prog album in the top 100, very elaborated jazz rock)
Pescado Rabioso - 2 & Desatormentandonos (not really Prog, but they're a great mix of Prog leanings with blues and hard rock, classic 70's)
Sui Generis and Seru Giran are classic folk/pop bands, though I don't admire them really....
Alejandro Herrera - Minority Report (is, well, very unknown, but he played at my house with top-notch jazz musicians from my country, and he released his first solo album, which is awesome jazz fusion with a lot of funk elements)
Well pretty much Luis Alberto Spinetta's whole catalogue is very worth of checking...

And La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros. And Crucis (probably #6 on my All-Time Favourite Prog Bands list). I'd say your country shines when it comes to prog Smile

Ah, thanks buddy, but like I said, what REALLY shines here, is Jazz and TangoTongue

Ever tried jazz composer Jorge Lopez Ruiz? He does some good fusion, a la "In a Silent Way" or early Weather Report.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:01
Originally posted by Gustavo Froes Gustavo Froes wrote:

Let's see....

O Terço
Bacamarte
Casa das Máquinas
Mutantes
Som Nosso de Cada Dia

That's probably the best prog to be found over here.

Ah, Gustavo, but being restricted to our own city, Rio de Janeiro, none of them hit the target, no? Embarrassed

In this case, we need to go back to A BARCA DO SOL and more recently to Solis, Octohpera, Agnus Graal, Tarkus and Spin XXI (in fact, the latter are from Niterói). Wink

Guigo

~~~~~~
Hootywho View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:19
uhh.....Rush, Harmonium and Chilliwack, guess where I'm from.
Tzibo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm familiar with most of the Finnish bands in the archives, plus some that aren't here. I'm not a patriot/nationalist in the least, but I've always been interested in checking out stuff from my own country. Our library system pretty much carries all of them, so it's not all that troublesome. At least if I find something good, I'll get a chance to see them live (probably).

Yeah, the library system's really awesome, I've found, like, millions of bands there, but seems that the missing ones were the Finnish prog bands. Any recommendations?
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:01
Originally posted by Tzibo Tzibo wrote:

I'm familiar with most of the Finnish bands in the archives, plus some that aren't here. I'm not a patriot/nationalist in the least, but I've always been interested in checking out stuff from my own country. Our library system pretty much carries all of them, so it's not all that troublesome. At least if I find something good, I'll get a chance to see them live (probably).

Yeah, the library system's really awesome, I've found, like, millions of bands there, but seems that the missing ones were the Finnish prog bands. Any recommendations?

Overhead, Circusfolk, Höyry-kone, Pekka Pohjola, these come to mind first. I got to know the Höyry-kone albums through library, there really is no other way nowadays. I don't think they would have any Circusfolk there but check out their myspace site.
Eraserhead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:16
Rush
Saga

I'm sure there's others, just can't think of the names right now haha!
In heaven, everything is fine
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 14:47
I know a lot about Kraut, but mostly from the golden era of prog. Afterwards even Kraut, my favorite genré, became a bit stale but for a few artists who managed to keep interesting. I am, however, not too familiar with the German prog scene of today, except for those old heroes who still arfe around. There is the odd band I come across when one of them plays in one for a while, but with modern Kraut it is mostly as with most modern prog (at least for me): Uninteresting. Psychedelic Monsterjam or Amon Guru made really nice albums, but those are the old heroes again.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:00
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Do you really know a lot about your native progressive rock bands? Confused

As a Japanese, for me it's so strange that in Japan there are very few stuffs about Japanese progressive rock. Angry
Shamefully I've known so little 'bout my native rock and some PA members (non-Japanese) could give me the knowledge. Embarrassed
I suppose a lot of progressive rock freaks in Japan should think the mainstream (especially British...as everyone says) progressive rock is exactly cool. Shocked
Please PA members, let me know whether you know a lot about your native bands. Wink
(Forgive me if everyone in your nation MUST know a lot.) Cry

Damo,

I lived in Japan breifly two summers ago, and I must say, it was very difficult for me to find my 'niche' musically. All of the music stores (even the large ones) had very little prog, and no proper categorization to speak of (To give an example, they had Backstreet boys and Maroon 5 under 'Hip-Hop'. Confused).

In fact, I didn't meet one person the entire time I was living there who liked Prog Rock, or even knew much about it.

So I definately feel for you, man. The music scene in Nipon tends to be a little too bland and generalized, with not much specification when it comes to sub-genres, and so forth.

Still, Dream Theater is a fairly big act there, considering how little people know about them, so there clearly are prog fans in Japan; I just never came across any. I would assume a prog fan is more scarce in a place like Japan than would be in the Uk or Us, both of those are areas where Prog either originated, or gained great popularity.

Mono is fantastic, Far Out is also pretty good, and I like Flower Travellin' Band, though they are more of a Doom-rock Jam Band, but if you like that sort of thing, you should definately check them out.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:05
Originally posted by Keppa4v Keppa4v wrote:

Overhead, Circusfolk, Höyry-kone, Pekka Pohjola, these come to mind first. I got to know the Höyry-kone albums through library, there really is no other way nowadays. I don't think they would have any Circusfolk there but check out their myspace site.

Ok, I did some searching and it turns out that the only Overhead album the library (in the Helsinki area that is) has is their debut Zumanthum. Do not start with that one. Their new album And We're Not Here After All is brilliant despite its current low overall rating here in the archives (my five star review this morning didn't make much of a difference because I'm not a prog reviewer, but there are now more positive than negative ratings). There was no Circusfolk in the library but to my surprise they had both Discordia releases. You should try their Utopia Perfection album. There's masses of Pekka Pohjola there, best starting points could be Visitation and Harakka Bialoipokku. Other names that now come to mind are Absoluuttinen Nollapiste (mostly albums Suljettu, Nimi muutettu and Mahlanjuoksuttaja), Von Hertzen Brothers (surely you're aware of them?), Manogurgeil (new retro prog with improv here and there), Tuvalu (sort of a light version of Mars Volta with scifi lyrics in Finnish) and Kingston Wall. And Wigwam and Tasavallan Presidentti and Tabula Rasa and so on... Smile

Edited by Keppa4v - February 26 2009 at 15:06
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:22

Hungary has a fine prog tradition, still alive and burning today

After Crying
Solaris
Color
Colorstar
Korai Orom
Musical Witchcraft
East
J.Varga Project
D Sound
Townscream
Omega
Inkabb Holnap
R.Erdesz
You & I

Edited by tszirmay - February 26 2009 at 15:23
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:36
Mono FWIW is some good Japanese prog.

I'm from America, so there are a lot (mostly modern).

Dream Theater
Spock's Beard

(most notably) Symphony X because they originated in a part of New Jersey that isn't far from where I live.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 15:52

No BUBU?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 16:16
In America, there have been alot of great bands.

Kansas
Tool
Spock's Beard
Dream Theater
Rishloo
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Just to name a few.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 16:39

From a completely subjective point of view, I'd start with these:

Wigwam - Fairyport, Being or Nuclear Nightclub
Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva or Harakka Bialoipokku
Höyry-Kone - Either of the two will do
Alamaailman Vasarat - Käärmelautakunta
Uzva - Niittoaika
Kingston Wall - II
Haikara - Self-titled
Hidria Spacefolk - Balansia
Magyar Posse - Random Avenger
Jukka Tolonen - Tolonen!
Callisto - Noir
Tasavallan Presidentti - II or Lambertland
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 17:10
I have a great interest in prog bands from Québec and I've tried to learn and listen to all of them. Of course, there are the quite "famous" (at least on this site) Harmonium and Maneige but there are a lot of hidden gems worth discovering.

I'll go with Vibrationbaby and mention Octobre who are on par with Harmonium and Maneige best works.

Other bands worth discovering :

Dionne-Brégent : One of the only bands (in the 70s) from Québec working in the electronic and experimental field. Quite unique in the scene and pretty good.

Fiori-Séguin : Not that prog but Harmonium fans might want to get this one. It's a cooperation between Serge Fiori (leader and composer of all of Harmonium's music) and Richard Séguin (important québécois folk singer). Good stuff.

L'Infonie : Weird weird band that is hard to describe. Experimental and explorative music from the 70s.

Miriodor : A modern band worth checking out. They've got a unique melodic RIO sound that will appeal to both RIO fans and haters. Check out if you like Samla Mammas Manna.

Opus 5 : Awesome and incredibly overlooked symphonic prog band from the 70s. Really moving and... Just try it.

L'Orchestre Sympathique : A jazz band turned prog and featuring some seriously impressive musicians. As a flautist, I have always been amazed by the flautist in this band. Clappies.

Pollen : To my knowledge, a band with only one album. But what an album! It's really good, symphonic, catchy and diverse. Another gem.

Sloche : Another overlooked gem. Quite amazing music. Hard to come across but just incredible. Mandatory band if you like Maneige.

Rouge Ciel : Band of youngsters active right now. Check 'em out. Inspired by experimental music and chamber rock and plenty of other stuff.

Those are some of my favorites but there is a lot to enjoy.

Clap Clap Clap Clap

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 17:12
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

No BUBU?

OuchHaven't heard itEmbarrassed Though wanting to!Big smileTongue
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 17:12
Has anyone named Return To Forever?
GosudO View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 17:32
From France !

Old stuff :

Zeuhl : Magma, Dün, Eskaton, Weidorje...
Progressive Electronic : Jean Michel Jarre
Symphonic Prog : Ange, Atoll, Pulsar
Jazz-rock / Fusion : Jean Luc Ponty

New stuff :

Gojira, Nemo, One Shot, Taal...

I guess I forgot some but I know you guys are connaisseurs, please feel free to complete the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>