Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo The Decemberists have people fooled?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:05

I don't know. I started listening to them because "The Hazards of Love" was edited in Argentina. They aren't bad , but there was so much hype about them that I thought they would be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Of course it's not like that. They are a cute artsy indie-like band that can write catchy melodies. I can see them having high rotation in hip radio stations or alternative music shows.
Their main features are the lyrics and theatrics , and I normally don't pay much attention to them. I prefer the chops above everyrthing. In the end , I can give their records a few listens but their aren't groundbreaking or jaw dropping musicians.
enemyofthesundevils View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:33
i haven't heard much from them but from what i've heard they are not prog.If they are prog then so is Arcade Fire but i'd say they both fall into the indie/folk category.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:37
^ well, what have you heard? It depends a lot on which album you listened to, since many bands change their style from album to album.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 11:41
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Perhaps someone here should post a video of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again"WinkLOL...

No lie.......I was thinking of doing this since the beginning of the thread!Embarrassed
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 13:35
There are a lot of bands listed on this site that I don't consider really prog, but then there is no clear definition of the term, and there are a lot of categories that are related.  A band doesn't have to be Prog to be good.

I have but one Decemberists album - The Crane Wife.  I enjoy it a lot.  While not all the songs are Prog, some clearly are - Crane Wife as a suite, and The Island.  But even our beloved (or not) classic bands, such as Yes and Tull and ELP and King Crimson, didn't always do proggy songs on their albums, and no one would contest their place in our hallowed halls.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:03
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Their main features are the lyrics and theatrics , and I normally don't pay much attention to them.

I'm assuming you never saw Emerson sitting at the spinning piano, which was of course pure theatrics.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:18
As if the theatrics have never been part of prog since its inception... And don't get me starting about the 'jaw-dropping or groundbreaking musicians'... If those were the criteria for being called a prog band, we should scrap half of our entries (to be optimistic), especially as regards the 'ground-breaking' part. Technical proficiency sure is not enough when all you're doing is imitating other bands... Anyway, having seen The Decemberists live less than one week ago, I can tell you they definitely know what they are about in the chops department. They just choose not to show it off.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 14:26
tasteful musicianship that is what is about... a lesson some bands could sure learn from. 

In that this group has been a revelation to me...  as I have posted much. I have NEVER been a lyrics person... I made of passion of Italian prog not giving two sh*ts as to what they are singing about... and knowing later what the lyrics ARE about... realizing that like much of prog... I wasn't missing a damn thing.

However with The Decemberists ... I took to this band so passionately because they didn't make up for lack of musical chops and concentrate on pure songwriting... like many so called pop artists do.  Or cover their song writing inadequencies under layers of technical music.  In a way... it is the perfect meeting of incredible songwriting, lyrics, and great... tasteful musicianship.

Take for what it's worth... from the guy listening to his 3rd Decemberists album of the day... wearing a HoL t-shirt hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:00
Not really prog, but really good!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:03
In threads like those you sometimes wish that people would - along with their post - list which albums they listened to.Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:11
hahahha... that would be the day.  The day discussion here is limited to what you know...and have truly listened to LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:16
^ I'm just saying ... knowing which albums someone listened to would be a huge asset in understanding their point. Of course it's unlikely to happen ... Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:21
the problem Mike is the usual problem.... there is no point being made.

there never is...  another case of ... I don't like it.. .or doesn't sound like a w**k-fest.  Thus isn't prog.

as you said... prog fans are far from being as open-minded as they should be.  Worthy of the open-minded music that is what prog is ALL about.  Oh well...as I told the troll in the other thread.

if someone doesn't want to open their ears and turn them off when they first hear Meloy's voice...  it is their loss.. not mine..yours... or the forums.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:26
I now own all the albums and The TainBig smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:28

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:30
hahhaha....  oh great... do I have to hijack this thread with my man-love for Keith Moon as well 
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:43
Prog or Not! They are a excellent band! And thats what counts.
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:52
sounds like a good note to close the thread on....  if the OP and others don't think it's prog...  great... but who cares.  Enough think it is prog to have the band listed here. Many think it is great music... prog or not.  It doesn't have to be prog to be great music. 

I'd put Willie Nelson on over Dream Theater 7 days a week....52 weeks a year hahah.  
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 15:57
Colin Meloy: "Hay guy, let's make people think we're making prog-folk when in fact we are making only folk-rock? That way we can....make.......more.......money?"
Other band members: "What the hell is wrong with you?"
Colin Meloy: "I don't even know anymore." (goes away to cry and reflect)

/dramatization

Edited by stonebeard - June 13 2009 at 15:58
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 16:00
^ scriptwriter fired for not knowing that being labeled as prog is considered the commercial kiss of death.....

Edited by micky - June 13 2009 at 16:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>