Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are male vocalists more popular than female inPROG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre male vocalists more popular than female inPROG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 04:04

Terre Roche, on Fripp's exposure, especialy title track, Clare Torry, on Dark side of the Moon, The Great Gig in the Sky. Would be the favorite Prog. female vocal's comming to mind.

My favorite female singers aint prog though.
Annisette (Savage Rose), O'connor, Joblin, Aguilera, Armatrading, Kate Buch, Dani Klein ( Vaya Con Dios)ect ect.  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
paulwalker71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 04:20
Originally posted by Djm912 Djm912 wrote:

Uhhh, Christina from Magenta, anybody?

Well, even if it is just me, I absolutely love her voice.

Yes, she was one I missed out of my earlier list of celtic-tinged, light prog bands with female vocals Clap
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 04:32

**Ahem** Hello? I was like one post before you. Wink

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 05:30
While her singing sounds good on Magenta albums, the duet between Cristina Booth and Annie Haslam on Magenta's Night and Day EP highlights for me the weakness in Booth's vocal, (and I'm not a huge fan of Haslam, preferring the fragile innocence of Jane Relf's voice on Renaissance/Illusion songs). It's a similar problem for me with a lot of the current female-fronted British prog bands, who generally sound pretty much the same (with the possible exceptions of Rachel Cohen (née Stevens) of The Reasoning and  Evelyn Downing of Mermaid Kiss), and who stylistically are closer to All About Eve than Renaissance, but without the depth and character of Julianne Regan's vocals.

On the Prog Metal front, the female-fronted bands seem to fall into two categories - the operatic and the gothic metal - and with that they all seem to follow as similar templates as laid down by Nightwish (Operatic) and The Gathering (Gothic Metal) - and as much as I love all those bands, their singers tend to be interchangeable - again, there are exceptions to that - Agnete M. Kirkevaag of Madder Mortem has broken the sound-alike mold and adds something of herself to their songs rather than trying to sound like someone else.

With regard to Kate Bush, and to a greater extent Tori Amos - one thing often overlooked is that they are also musicians who don't just write singer/songwriter songs, but the compose and play the music that carries the vocal and that music is often far from simplistic pop-tunes.

Anyway, aside from Renate and Dagmar - for real female Prog vocals that equal Gabriel, Hammill, Cale and Wyatt for their ability to reach inside you and mess with your emotions at levels you couldn't believe possible I nominate Diamanda Galas.

Edited by Dean - September 25 2009 at 05:31
What?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 07:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I do love female voices (I am a woman myself), but generally steer clear of those stereotyped, ethereal sopranos that seem to be all the rage nowadays. With some notable exceptions (Kate Bush being the most prominent), my favourite women singers tend to have deeper, gutsier vocals - think Grace Slick in her prime, or Dead Can Dance's Lisa Gerrard. However, as I said before, the current trend seems to be quite different, and I'm sure other forum members will be more helpful than I have been. 

I can only lend a big hand of applause to that Clap. indeed, those steretoyped sopranos go on my nerves too. that's why I love singers like Lynnette Shelley of The Red Masque or Anna Meek of Caterpillar. they are real shouters.
oh, and an extra applause for the incredible alto voice of Sarah Jane Morris on Peter Hammill's album "The Fall of the House of Usher", on which she takes on the role of The Chorus.
and then there is of course Inga Rumpf! she is in a class of her own. probaby the best female voice in prog of all. anyone who does not believe it should have a look at these clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUQN0Chl-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79Jpl6WXFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIhnRMt3GjE

Edited by BaldJean - September 25 2009 at 08:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 11:16
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I do love female voices (I am a woman myself), but generally steer clear of those stereotyped, ethereal sopranos that seem to be all the rage nowadays. With some notable exceptions (Kate Bush being the most prominent), my favourite women singers tend to have deeper, gutsier vocals - think Grace Slick in her prime, or Dead Can Dance's Lisa Gerrard. However, as I said before, the current trend seems to be quite different, and I'm sure other forum members will be more helpful than I have been. 
I can only lend a big hand of applause to that Clap. indeed, those steretoyped sopranos go on my nerves too. that's why I love singers like Lynnette Shelley of The Red Masque or Anna Meek of Caterpillar. they are real shouters.oh, and an extra applause for the incredible alto voice of Sarah Jane Morris on Peter Hammill's album "The Fall of the House of Usher", on which she takes on the role of The Chorus.and then there is of course Inga Rumpf! she is in a class of her own. probaby the best female voice in prog of all. anyone who does not believe it should have a look at these clips:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUQN0Chl-Mhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w79Jpl6WXFEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIhnRMt3GjE

Sure beats Juli! (Another German band.)

However, my favourite female prog singer (apart from the Northettes) is the amazing Loni, from Discus. I never knew Indonesian sounded so proggy!

What a shame, by the way, that Anne Sofie von Otter (the Swedish mezzo) befriended Elvis Costello, not Robert Wyatt or Bill Bruford. I adore her voice, but when she lets her hair down, it's a shame she wastes it on old hits by the likes of Abba and the Beach Boys... (Sigh...)
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 11:39

Me too.
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 12:13
I do like Sharon Adel from Within Temptation(no prog at all) but I don't know if it's because she is kinda hot or because she is indeed talented. Perhaps this is the problem with female vocalists. Or perhaps I should know better and get to know some other singing styles in the women you all have been mentioning ;)
"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 13:11
Hi,

Lana Lane and the Rocket Schientists ... her husband has been compared with Keith Emerson many times ... and to be honest with you, he is way better than Keith on synths ... though Keith might have the classical music chops ... but not sure Eric needs to play Grieg, or Mussorgsky when he can so much better color his wife's music! ... and when you have one of the best Stick players around ... I would be a dud not to use these folks!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 13:53
Strange that that topic should come up now.

Until about a year or two ago, I preferred male voices, but then that suddenly changed, and I've even made myself a separate list of bands with female singers (and female artists) just so that I wouldn't forget when I'm wondering what to listen to next.

I think it all started with my exceedingly deep appreciation of Tori Amos' music.

Since then I've become aquainted with a lot of these female vocals/bands, and although I agree with some of you here, in that the singers of Epica etc. are not the bee's knees, really quite heavy bands like Lacuna Coil, for instance, are really special, and I prefer those to most male singers now.

On top of that, such a lot of male fronted prog bands have such undistinguishable (interchangable?) voices. The times of such unique voices/personalities such as Peter Gabriel, Derek Shulman, Peter Hammill etc. seem to be a thing of the past now.

The singers of Kamelot, Royal Hunt, and dozens of others, whatever they call themselves now seem to be just the best of the rest, so to speak.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:15
Despite the fact that Simone Simmons is one of if not the most beautiful woman to ever exist, I can barely stand her vocals...

I do love the vocalist from Paatos, however.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:33
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Many of my favorite vocalists are women:

Maddy Prior
Annie Haslam
Ann Wilson
Jon Anderson

In all honesty, it depends on the vocalist and not gender.

Yeah... LOL Add to that Geddy Lee, David Surkamp... Tongue

BTW, rock is a male thing! Wink I think I don't have a single album with a female lead vocalist.

Edited by Tuzvihar - September 25 2009 at 14:35
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:36
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

BTW, rock is a male thing! Wink I think I don't have a single album with a female lead vocalist.

You ever heard of Janis JoplinConfused?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:39
Or Grace Slick?
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:42

You ever heard of Janis JoplinConfused?

Yes, I did. But the majority of rock musicians are male. The few females are the exceptions that prove the rule. Wink
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:45

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 14:51
Ok. You know I was just kiddin' right? Wink

Charles Bukowski
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 23:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

While her singing sounds good on Magenta albums, the duet between Cristina Booth and Annie Haslam on Magenta's Night and Day EP highlights for me the weakness in Booth's vocal, (and I'm not a huge fan of Haslam, preferring the fragile innocence of Jane Relf's voice on Renaissance/Illusion songs). 

Clap  I have wondered about the reviews saying that the song 'proves' that she is the successor to Haslam.  Which Haslam, beg pardon?  Surely in 2005 she doesn't sound like what she used to in the 70s. Besides, I had no problem discerning the difference: Christina's is the lighter and more youthful voice and also the drier, colder one.  

Which band is Renata from, what's her full name, I am interested now. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2009 at 23:36

Yes...but is prog a rock thing?  Not on topic but I am wondering...my favourite prog albums have only a remote connection to rock. At least I don't think anybody listening to those albums for the first time would think of rock, they would think it was some kind of weird jazz music. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2009 at 00:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Anyway, aside from Renate and Dagmar - for real female Prog vocals that equal Gabriel, Hammill, Cale and Wyatt for their ability to reach inside you and mess with your emotions at levels you couldn't believe possible I nominate Diamanda Galas.
Interesting pick Clap, but way too demanding for my ears to get a top spot i must admit.
In her case i realy need to be in that particular mood.

Now that Jazz/rock was mentioned, Annette Peacock does a great job on Bill Bruford's: Feels Good to Me

Edited by tamijo - September 26 2009 at 00:30
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>