Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Official Phish Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 15:23
People legally share concert recordings of Phish all the time (like the Dead, Phish and other jam bands condone this).  If you have the patience for it, you can legally get any show you want for free somewhere online.  Many of them are almost releasable quality these days.

But you're probably like me, and don't want to go to that trouble.  I get almost all of my shows from a friend of mine who does all the leg work.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 15:34
^ I'm someone who just HAS to have excellent quality recordings, so just about all of the shows I have from any jam bands are officially released by the band in some way or another (live album, or soundboards from the band's websites). Only rarely will I get a soundboard from archives.org or somewhere like that. The whole bootleg 'thing' is, like, right before my time. Most shows from any jam band are available in excellent to perfect quality.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 17:46
It's a nice day today, it's a Phish day today.

Listened to Vegas 96 for the first time this afternoon. Another excellent concert, another terrific second set with a 20m Simple and a 15m Harry...and the encore, man!   
Will watch the IT dvd tonight; came very, very close to attend the event in 2003 but unfortunatly it didn't happen. Think i cried for a whole week. I was quite thrilled some months later when i heard a dvd of the festival was about to be release. A must have!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 17:49
The IT Festival DVD is just a PBS documentary special of the event on disc 1, and disc 2 is just selections from the festival, unfortunately, and not the whole thing, or even a whole set. They are full songs though.
WormHole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 10:08
phis they are awesome

BassoonAng View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 16:24
./appreciated.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 20:43
One thing I absolutely love about Phish's music, is those beautiful, sometimes delicate, epic melodies, and how catchy they are. You know, like, the end of The Lizards, that melody in the middle of Horn, all the Divided Sky melodies, First Tube,Stash, that middle theme in Golgi Apparatus, the 'Rift' theme in The Curtain With, etc...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 20:50
The last part of "Lizards" and the the whole of "Divided Sky" still get me choked up every time.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 03:12
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

One thing I absolutely love about Phish's music, is those beautiful, sometimes delicate, epic melodies, and how catchy they are. You know, like, the end of The Lizards, that melody in the middle of Horn, all the Divided Sky melodies, First Tube,Stash, that middle theme in Golgi Apparatus, the 'Rift' theme in The Curtain With, etc...

I always found the beginning of You Enjoy Myself to be uncontrollably beautiful. Actually, pretty much the entire song. God I love that chill jazz sound. If you played any of their songs to someone brand new to 'real' music, I'm sure they'll say "This music is too 'old' for me". You could never guess they started up in the 90's.

Actually, the few times I saw commercials for Phish concerts years ago, I thought they were a religious band.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 06:02
Well, they kinda are.  Many fans go see them religiously.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 10:19
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I always found the beginning of You Enjoy Myself to be uncontrollably beautiful. Actually, pretty much the entire song. God I love that chill jazz sound. If you played any of their songs to someone brand new to 'real' music, I'm sure they'll say "This music is too 'old' for me". You could never guess they started up in the 90's.

Actually, the few times I saw commercials for Phish concerts years ago, I thought they were a religious band.

They actually started up in 1983, and you can find shows from '84 on. Most of those songs you and I mentioned were actually written in the mid-late 80s, which makes it even more amazing. I agree that YEM is another one with beautiful melodies, especially after the spacey 'nirvana' section (the studio version doesn't have the spacey section). Reba is probably their only epic that doesn't have those beautiful melodies, because the verses are more playful, and the middle section is one of the most complex pieces of music in progressive rock, easily. However, it does have the absolutely beautiful lydian jam section, which can sometimes move me to tears, so it has that going for it.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 10:31
After hearing the song about 15 times in the last two weeks I finally broke down and had to look up the lyrics to You Enjoy Myself.  "Wash uffitzi, drive me to Firenze".  I thought they were saying "What's your fee to drive me to Valenzi", but I couldn't figure it out.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

After hearing the song about 15 times in the last two weeks I finally broke down and had to look up the lyrics to You Enjoy Myself.  "Wash uffitzi, drive me to Firenze".  I thought they were saying "What's your fee to drive me to Valenzi", but I couldn't figure it out.
There an online database which tracks all their set lists, and according to that, "You Enjoy Myself" is their most often-performed song across their entire history.  So I'm not surprised you've heard it that many times in the last 2 weeks.

I think the story of that lyric originates from a friend who picked up a hitch hiker in Italy, and this friend had smelly feet.  The hitch hiker apparently said, "wash your feet and drive me to Firenze (aka Florence)", which, with the Italian accent, came out like "washa uffitze drive me to firenze", and became an in-joke.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:37
I've probably listened to You Enjoy Myself over 100 times in my life, with Reba probably 200 (Last.fm only has a percentage of my plays, as I listened to a lot of Phish before getting an account, and a lot when my computer died a few years back).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:39
I guess that I only have 8 versions of it, and I have only heard it 5 times in the last two weeks; I guess that it just seems as though I had heard it more times than that.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:45
The first Phish show I ever attended:

Link Friday, 02/19/1993
Roxy Theatre, Atlanta, GA

Set 1: Loving Cup, Rift, Split Open and Melt, Fee[1] -> Maze, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird[2] > Sparkle, My Friend, My Friend[3], Poor Heart > David Bowie -> Moby Dick[4] > David Bowie[5]

Set 2: Runaway Jim, It's Ice > Paul and Silas, You Enjoy Myself > Ya Mar[6], Big Ball Jam[7], Lawn Boy, Funky Bitch[8], My Sweet One[9], Hold Your Head Up[8] > Love You[10] > Hold Your Head Up[8], Llama[8], Amazing Grace[11]

Encore: AC/DC Bag

Special guest: Jimmy Herrring (guitar, set 2)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts: I got so drunk I barely remember this show.  As a result, I drank only a little bit at every show I saw from then on.  I didn't want to miss anything.

Strange that the first song they played at my first show was a Rolling Stones cover, a song I wasn't even familiar with at the time!

"Big Ball Jam" was this thing they were doing on that tour where they unleashed a gigantic beach ball into the crowd, and improvised based on how it bounced around the room.  A whimsical idea that didn't really work.

Jimmy Herring, of the Aquarium Rescue Unit (and a very highly regarded guitarist at the time) guested during the 2nd set.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 03 2012 at 11:54

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 11:55
^ Is that show part of the Roxy box set that got released a few years ago? If so, and I'm sure it is, that's 2 shows that got officially released by the band; meaning they were especially good shows. Good job.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:20
^^ Yes, it is.  I haven't heard it though.  The second night, 2/20/93, is generally considered to be the superior show of the three night stand, and I have that one on tape somewhere.

I'll have to look and see if there are any other shows I attended which have been released by the band, but I don't recall any offhand.  All of my shows were from 1993-1998.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:31
Woop here's another one I attended that was released on CD:

Link Saturday, 10/21/1995
Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln, NE

Set 1: Tweezer Reprise, Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], Wilson > Cars Trucks Buses, Kung > The Lizards, Strange Design, Acoustic Army, Good Times Bad Times -> Tweezer Reprise

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Lifeboy, Sparkle > You Enjoy Myself > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Harry Hood[2], Suzy Greenberg[3]

Encore: Highway to Hell

--------------------------------------------

Thoughts:  I'd met a girl at my friend's wedding, the groom's cousin, and she lived in Iowa, on the border near Lincoln NE.  We exchanged letters for a while, and I flew up there to go to a show with her and stayed with her for a few days.  So I have fond memories of this show, even though I got in a car accident on the way to the airport in Atlanta.  I remember the first set being especially good, with the Led Zeppelin song "Good Times Bad Times" being extended into a particularly inspired jam, climaxing neatly with a reprise of Tweezer Reprise, which had opened the set (the first time I think they'd ever played Tweezer Reprise without playing Tweezer.  In fact, I've still never seen Tweezer live).

"Strange Design" was a short, lyrical Page McConnell ballad they were trying out around that time.  I think it ended up as a b-side for "Free".

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 12:33
^ What official live album is that one from?? Never knew they've opened a set with Tweezer Reprise, a usual concert closer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>