Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2023 at 12:43
 4 stars 2011: The Gate of Saturn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KspZxdMoTl4

Tangerine Dream's landmark 150th album (or thereabouts), meaning we're now about three-quarters of the way through Tangerine Dream's humongous discography. But is The Gate of Saturn really an album? It's a companion piece to Tangerine Dream's 2011 concert at The Lowry in Manchester, released as a fan club promo in the "Cupdisc" series, and with a duration of 32 minutes, it's either a long EP or a short album. Either way, The Gate of Saturn runs rings around the opposition. Smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2023 at 05:09
 4 stars 2011: Knights of Asheville - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k-HyA3QZBUPNASfsxqgX7Ezw_NoAuNoHs

Tangerine Dream's 38th Live album and their 150th album overall (not counting the previous fan club promo EP), recorded at Moogfest in Asheville, North Carolina on October 28th 2011. There's some Live footage from the event on YouTube, but it looks and sounds like it was filmed on someone's camera-phone from the back of the auditorium, so I wouldn't bother if I were you. Wink

Listen out for Bernhard Beibl's distinctive guitar sound on the track below. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 19 2023 at 05:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2023 at 08:23
 3 stars 2011: Live at the Lowry, Manchester - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDnDcC9iT9uG2c9JNza7otcGS7NKIS4HJ

Tangerine Dream's 39th Live album and their 151st album overall. The above link is the bootleg version of the concert and not the official CD version, so I'd give it a miss if I were you. If you want to hear the official CD version of the concert, you'd be better off checking out The Gate of Saturn EP, featured here earlier. Smile

4 stars 2011: The Gate of Saturn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KspZxdMoTl4

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 20 2023 at 08:28
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 15:58
I was consistently attracted to Tangerine Dream's sound ideas. Their keyboard settings were particularly interesting to me. The dark soundscapes on Zeit and the pulsating rhythms on Phadrea and Rubycon.

Tangerine Dream broke ground in stepping forward with Electronic sounds. Some of these particular sound ideas for pulsating rhythms and dark soundscapes had already been invented and recorded by Delia Derbyshire in 1964. They weren't quite along the lines of Karlheinz Stockhousen, but more likely to be on the same page as Tangerine Dream and by the early 70s that particular style of Electronic resurfaced in Tangerine Dream music , but with a new approach.

In the 70s I'd often compare Rick Wright's keyboard work on Ummagumma with Tangerine Dream Atem. The similarities were outrageous. I recall reading about Delia Derbyshire paying for a taxi to transport the members of Pink Floyd to a studio so she could introduce them to Electronic Music or perhaps how to utilize it.

Tangerine Dream seemed to blend these kinds of ideas into music in a new innovative way..which influenced many other Electronic artists. I was really impressed with the talents of Edgar Froese. His solo albums were telling. Listening to them caused me to believe that he was Tangerine Dream. It was in fact like hearing a Tangerine Dream album.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 26 2023 at 15:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 16:45
^ I have fond memories of Delia Derbyshire too. Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 19:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ I have fond memories of Delia Derbyshire too. Thumbs Up

She gained popularity for Dr. Who which was a creepy little theme she rearranged for Gainer , but some of her music is haunting and can create fear in the listener's mind. "The Dreams " was quite disturbing because she created deep dark impressionable tones for background sounds ..as a backdrop for the edited voices of people describing their dreams. The musical backing is reminiscent of what surfaced a decade later on Brian Eno Discreet Music. Additionally some of her pieces sounding like music from an underworld by the usage of sound generators and cutting tapes is fascinating to me. Some of her music gave me the same vibe I felt from early Hitchcock films. Very creepy

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 08:23
Those 'breathing' sounds she put into the Doctor Who theme were genius. Along with Thunderbirds , best sixties TV theme by a country mile.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 08:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Those 'breathing' sounds she put into the Doctor Who theme were genius. Along with Thunderbirds , best sixties TV theme by a country mile.

I loved the Thunderbirds theme too, as well as all of the other Gerry Anderson / Barry Gray themes, including:- Stingray; Joe 90; Captain Scarlett; Space 1999; and of course, UFO, featuring Nick Drake's sister Gabrielle - with the purple hair. 

Alan Davey (from Hawkwind) giving the UFO theme the Space Rock treatment. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 27 2023 at 08:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 13:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I loved the Thunderbirds theme too, as well as all of the other Gerry Anderson / Barry Gray themes, including:- Stingray; Joe 90; Captain Scarlett; Space 1999; and of course, UFO, featuring Nick Drake's sister Gabrielle - with the purple hair. 

Alan Davey (from Hawkwind) giving the UFO theme the Space Rock treatment. Thumbs Up

That's interesting! Nick Drake's sister had a role in this. Never knew that and its a fun theme. Alan Davey!! He's an interesting character. I met him once on the Space Bandits tour. A cool person

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 27 2023 at 13:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 18:39
As a teenager in the 70s I put good effort into tracking down Tangerine Dream albums. It wasn't the easiest thing to do . Their distribution in the U.S. seemed limited and it was on you to call the record shop in the big city and say.." Do you have a copy of Phadrea?" The store owner says.."Yeah..I have one copy..I'll hold it for no more than an hour" Now you have to get into the city fast . If you dont..someone else will. That was the 70s.

In Philadelphia it seemed that people were more open to Tangerine Dream. If you were from South Jersey it would in fact be rare to cross paths with someone who followed their music. In Philadelphia not as such and typically because it withstands the test of observation on human behavior surrounded in a city environment where culture is a main attraction to a vast majority of people.

Jem Records opened in North Plainfield and South Plainfield N.J. They opened a warehouse and a mail order business. You could easily obtain their catalog by writing to them. Their catalog featured a selection of Tangerine Dream. This made life easier by driving to the post office buying a money order ..mailing it to Jem and just waiting a few weeks for your Tangerine Dream albums to arrive.

WXPN radio station in Philadelphia began playing the music of Tangerine Dream late at night. Surprisingly this got people's attention in South Jersey and by 76' I began crossing paths with people in the area who collected their albums.

Eventually Tangerine Dream gained recognition from their film scores along the way. In the 80s it felt as if their American audience increased. Fame or no fame...the idea is to get your music out there . If you gain some popularity along the way its honorable to not completely sell out or follow the times. Too much of that will spoil your inner creativity.

Tangerine Dream were sort of up and down for me in the 80s. First they'd release something a bit too New Age for me and then they'd release another album which reflected their more Electronic Berlin style ...as such when they had Johannes Schmolleing in the band.

I had just about all of their 90s releases as well. I haven't heard anything from them since they released a live album that featured Purple Haze as the encore. They played Philadelphia that year and it was on the radio being promoted. They were talked about frequently and the concert was a success.

Two of my favorite pieces are "Overture" and "Haunted Heights". Overture originally released on the album Virgin Various Artists and Haunted Heights was available in a box set I purchased in the early 80s.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2023 at 21:18
When Stratosfear was released I bought it immediately when I saw it in a Listening Booth..a chain store record shop . Stratosfear created a change in Tangerine Dream's music. Edgar Froese was playing the guitar differently by strumming melodic open string chords which at times it was difficult to tell if he was not in fact fingerpicking the chords.

There were pulsating rhythms which sounded a bit more wooden block percussive. Several of the soundscapes differed from the ones on Phadrea, Rubycon, and Ricochet. The Mellotron sections were very mysterious and the surrounding electronics were sweeping and distant and created a sound that was luring. The music was more dynamic than on previous albums and obviously more usage of melody. Not unlike a melody to a Sci-Fi theme ...yet it very much wasn't and clearly based geared more toward the interest of instrumental composition than constant improvisation over top of Electronic rhythms.

Stratosfear was the first indicator of change. After Stratosfear was released..that changed everything. At times Tangerine Dream returned to their Phadrea style periodically and falling between other writing styles originally developed on Stratosfear....evident on sections of Poland and Logos .
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 03:00
I bought the movie "Legend" yesterday (starring Tom Cruise) mainly for the amazing Tangerine Dream soundtrack, but when I looked at the DVD cover upon returning home, it said "Music by Jerry Goldsmith". I discovered today that it's only the original American version which features music by Tangerine Dream and not the European version.  Ouch

028.5 stars 1986: Legend (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jvSHmXsuA

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 19 2023 at 06:22
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 06:15
^ that's very unlucky, I can't imagine such a thing happens very often. From looking at Amazon it appears that there is a Blue Ray special edition that includes both versions of the film, but it's not totally clear to me so don't rely on that!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2023 at 06:29

^ that's very unlucky, I can't imagine such a thing happens very often. From looking at Amazon it appears that there is a Blue Ray special edition that includes both versions of the film, but it's not totally clear to me so don't rely on that!

I read today that Universal Pictures weren't happy with Jerry Goldsmith's original score for Legend, because they wanted a soundtrack that would appeal more to the "youth market".  The president of MCA/Universal persuaded director Ridley Scott to come up with a new score, which Tangerine Dream wrote and recorded in just three weeks. Shocked
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 02:59
 4 stars 2011: Booster IV - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lpUjZHLSKYwsL-M7Gd6BIDq_945qVAHKA

Tangerine Dream's 152nd album. Something old, something new.... The fourth 2-CD compilation of previously-released tracks - including Live and "CupDisc" tracks - spiced up with some brand new music to give your day a TD boost. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 08:06
 4 stars 2012: Machu Picchu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpck5itdn5M

Tangerine Dream's 153rd album, recorded in 2004 and eventually released in 2012, Machu Picchu is Edgar Froese's private tribute to the much-missed Radio 1 DJ John Peel - an early promoter of Tangerine Dream on his offbeat radio show - who died whilst on a working holiday in Cusco, Peru in 2004, so have a tissue handy when you listen to Machu Picchu. Broken Heart 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 09 2023 at 08:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2023 at 09:07
 4 stars 2012: Live at Admiralspalast, Berlin

Tangerine Dream's 40th Live album and their 154th album overall. There's currently no full-length video of this concert available on YouTube, but it's worth watching the short clip below just to see Linda Spa making Love on a Real Train in German uniform again. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 09 2023 at 09:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 01:27
 4 stars 2012: Booster V - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXIRox_di7SOEJIbbYdz6_weMQ3zPWYwl

Tangerine Dream's 155th album. The fifth double-helping of music old and new in TD's Booster series.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 02:18
4 stars 2012: Live in Budapest

Tangerine Dream's 41st Live album and their 156th album overall. A tale of two cities and one river: Buda and Pest either side of the blue Danube. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 11 2023 at 03:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2023 at 03:35
5 stars 2012: The Electric Mandarine Tour: The Zurich Switzerland Concert -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyiKD3YUEDI

Tangerine Dream's 42nd Live album and their 157th album overall. Live in Zurich: the banking capital of the world. You can bank on this concert to pay dividends at a premium rate of interest! Handshake

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 11 2023 at 03:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 37>