Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 21:41
Heard on the Renaissance fans FB group that David Keyes passed away.  RIP. Cry
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 17:35
Oh that's sad.  I'm not sure if he was the bassist at any of the shows I went to, but I believe he was on Gandine Il Vento/Symphony of Light.  R.I.P
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 04:10
Rave Tesar just confirmed via a video on FB that there will be an orchestrated version of Ashes Are Burning in these shows!  Shared a little sample of how it's going to sound.  

Oh, and McCarty is coming to the Keswick Show.  Never in doubt, all the highlights will be in the Keswick Show, including the filming.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 08:59
thanks for the update Madan.  Lots to look forward to.  I wonder if that show will have some songs only performed there?  And which songs?  I'd love to hear a few of the better Illusion tracks, like Madonna Blue, Isadora, Beautiful Country, the Revolutionary, etc, etc, and of course one of the most underrated early Ren songs, "On the Frontier"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 22:46
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

thanks for the update Madan.  Lots to look forward to.  I wonder if that show will have some songs only performed there?  And which songs?  I'd love to hear a few of the better Illusion tracks, like Madonna Blue, Isadora, Beautiful Country, the Revolutionary, etc, etc, and of course one of the most underrated early Ren songs, "On the Frontier"

I don't know that they will venture so deep into Illusion territory when there are many Ren mk-ii songs they are looking to bring back on stage or add orchestration to. If I had to guess, they will probably do Island with McCarty.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 08:10
^yeah maybe you're right.  They can't diverge too much for the sake of one show I suppose, but it would be neat.

Of course it won't happen until Annie makes peace with it, but perhaps we could hear "Camera Camera"?  Tongue
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 09:08

^yeah maybe you're right.  They can't diverge too much for the sake of one show I suppose, but it would be neat.

Of course it won't happen until Annie makes peace with it, but perhaps we could hear "Camera Camera"?  Tongue

Maybe if Tesar could sell her an orchestrated version thereof....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 22:52
Folks, two days to go and they are $6400 or so short. There's going to be an orchestrated Ashes, McCarty is coming, it's gonna be great. So let's make it happen. If the kind folks at PA chip in, it surely will.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 07:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Folks, two days to go and they are $6400 or so short. There's going to be an orchestrated Ashes, McCarty is coming, it's gonna be great. So let's make it happen. If the kind folks at PA chip in, it surely will.

I'll get right on it...I think last time they extended it and ended up reaching their goals.
trying to decide whether to get my name in the video end credits for $250 or just go with the $75 donation!

Not sure how I feel about an Orchestral "Ashes" but whatever!

I am holding out hope for "On the Frontier" since it was a McCarty/Thatcher composition as was "Spare Some Love"

Edited by kenethlevine - August 19 2019 at 07:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 14:55
just donated the $75 level...I'm seeing show too so total amount is $160 + travel expenses...but worth it!
Looks like they are only $2500 short
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 19:35

just donated the $75 level...I'm seeing show too so total amount is $160 + travel expenses...but worth it!
Looks like they are only $2500 short

They exceeded it since the time you contributed. Annie posted a nice thank you message on FB.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 09:46
I tossed in a few pennies too. ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2019 at 22:34
Came across this fantastic evaluation of Betty Thatcher, well worth a read:

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 10:47

Nice to see Betty get some recognition. She was the best artist lyricist ever, far surpassing Peter Sinfeld and a match for Keith Reid. 

Edited by SteveG - October 06 2019 at 04:00
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 11:04
thanks for sharing that.  It is beautifully written, much like Thatcher's songs
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2019 at 11:06
and next Saturday is the concert at the Keswick in Glenside PA with Jim McCarty as special guest and the chamber orchestra.  I only wish it could be an entire weekend comprising the different configurations like the Strawbs 50th was, but it will have to do!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 05:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Nice to see Betty get some recognition. She was the best artist lyricist ever, far surpassing Peter Sinfeld and a match for Keith Reid. 

Agreed, I too like her work more than Sinfeld as influential as the latter was.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 05:51

and next Saturday is the concert at the Keswick in Glenside PA with Jim McCarty as special guest and the chamber orchestra.  I only wish it could be an entire weekend comprising the different configurations like the Strawbs 50th was, but it will have to do!

Ah, it's upon us already?  Have a great one!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 19:43

Thanks!  Have you scheduled your skype chat with Annie?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2019 at 22:57

Thanks!  Have you scheduled your skype chat with Annie?

They have yet to get back to me with possible dates though I 'bought'it. I presume it will be after the shows.

McCarty was there for the New York show, unexpectedly. And they are going to do Day of the Dreamer too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 38>