Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 19:11
Hi,

Paul ... You got to see and enjoy that concert with Nick Beggs. It is excellent, and in some ways reminds me of the early TD without the sequencers (might be in the background) and the music just flowing along. Some really nice touches, and it kinda goes along with the stuff that Thorsten has done with various musicians experimenting, a lot more than it does what TD has done since Edgar Froese's passing away.

It is fantastic ... I guess it just took place just over a week ago! I would pay for that!

And that show with Steve Roach is also outstanding ... this is more like it and fits the "tradition" of Tangerine Dream so beautifully. I hope this stuff ends up on CD, because both of these are worth having!

Edited by moshkito - November 15 2023 at 08:29
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 02:17
4 stars 2014: GTA 5 - The Cinematographic Score - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Db2EBgjW8

Tangerine Dream's 165th album. When Edgar Froese was offered to score the music for Grand Theft Auto 5, he initially rejected the idea, but that was before he saw the cinematic nature of this groundbreaking video game, although one can't help thinking Tangerine Dream's GTA 5 soundtrack would have sounded far better in a real movie - like Thief for instance. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 15 2023 at 02:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2023 at 04:57
4 stars 2014: Josephine the Mouse Singer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4gFgtTaVI

A 5-track limited edition mini-album released to coincide with the Phaedra Farewell Tour. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2023 at 05:55
4 stars 2014: Sorcerer 2014 - The Cinematographic Score - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lZPuSoH4LyaoECpfJiTwJoBHFa0bCpkUQ

Tangerine Dream's 166th album. Sorcerer of the keys Edgar Froese with a new cinematic score for the original 1977 movie starring Roy Scheider. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 02:10
4 stars 2014: Phaedra Farewell Tour - Disc 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCbVl4Tyio
                                                            Disc 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnaI42F0uSQ
                                                            Disc 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn28JDTi3Qo

Tangerine Dream's 167th album. A 3-CD compilation of highlights from the Phaedra Farewell Tour across Europe, marking the end of what was arguably Tangerine Dream's greatest ever decade: 
2005-2014. Hug

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 26 2023 at 02:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 02:46
4 stars 2014: Mala Kunia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruY9DD69XvI

Tangerine Dream's 168th album. Following on from the departure of Bernhard Beibl, Linda Spa and Iris Camaa in the wake of the Phaedra Farewell Tour, Mala Kunia is the first album with the new TD line-up, consisting of Edgar Froese, Thorsten Quaeschning, Ulrich Schnauss and Hoshiko Yamane - which would shortly become a trio without Edgar at the helm. Cry  Broken Heart

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 07:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 2014: Phaedra Farewell Tour - Disc 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCbVl4Tyio
                                                            Disc 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnaI42F0uSQ
                                                            Disc 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn28JDTi3Qo

Tangerine Dream's 167th album. A 3-CD compilation of highlights from the Phaedra Farewell Tour across Europe, marking the end of what was arguably Tangerine Dream's greatest ever decade: 
2005-2014. Hug

HI,

I have the DVD and it is a single disk ... I presume that there is a reissue now?

Yep ... just found it ... the further release has a bunch of LIVE material from this specific tour on the 3rd disk.

Gotta save a few nickels to get that! Tongue

Edited by moshkito - November 27 2023 at 07:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 09:08
^ The DVD is a must-have for Tangerine Dream fans and much better than the online version which is only a poor quality audio disc with more skips and jumps than the Olympics. Unhappy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 01:37
4 stars 2014: Booster VII - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN9dGufkY8I

Tangerine Dream's 169th album. The seventh and final 2-CD compilation in the Booster series. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 11:02
^I think that's the only one I don't have. For a while, the price for VII ranged from unreasonable to exorbitant.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2023 at 17:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^I think that's the only one I don't have. For a while, the price for VII ranged from unreasonable to exorbitant.

I purchased a second hand copy for a reasonable price to find that Disc 2 was exactly the same as Disc 1.Angry

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2023 at 08:39
4 stars 2015: Out of This World

Tangerine Dream's 170th album. A very special and heartfelt tribute album put together by Monica Froese to commemorate the sad passing of husband Edgar on January 15th 2015, so prepare to experience some of Edgar Froese's spaciest, out-of-this-world compositions from his incredible 55-year career, in 2015: a Tangerine Dream odyssey! Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 29 2023 at 08:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 03:48
5 stars 2015: Supernormal: The Australian Concerts

Tangerine Dream's 171st album. In what would sadly turn out to be Edgar Froese's final tour, the fabulous foursome of Froese, Quaeschning, Yamane and Schnauss travel to a land down under for a series of concerts recorded across Australia, from Cairns in the very north to Melbourne in the south. An absolute must-have 2-CD collection for TD fans, given that this is the last chance any of us will ever get to hear Edgar Froese performing Live. Edgar once said, "There is no death, only a change of our cosmic address." I'll go along with that. Thumbs Up Broken Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 30 2023 at 10:44
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 06:36
Hi,

I like the things that TD is doing live, that are not a part of their "discography" ... and are quite nice. In Seattle they had a lady play bass, and it was neat. Also, recently, Nick Beggs and Steve Roach, giving us some of the far out experimental sounds that TD really started with way back when. (Name of that bass player?) ... and there are some minor changes in the actual sound of the well known pieces, which is similar to the things we have heard in the BOOSTER series, which is nice.

I think, this might help TD create new music soon enough, that is more on par with their history of "movie images" than the stuff that TD has done since EF left us without a new address!

I would like to see Marcus Reuter with them again, since his bit with Thorsten (40 some minutes I believe) was exceptional, as were some other bits here and there with others. It's kinda neat, though since many of these expressions are completely improvised ... and I think this is a really good step for the band to learn even more. 

I would, however, like to also see TD expand a few shows with some more musicians, so we can really get the symphonic feel they had with the three women. The TD after EF is a bit too electronically metallic for my
 tastes though I am now feeling that it was just growing pains. The recent excursions are a nice touch and idea to help define/create new music. And don't be afraid to use some guests ... even Bernard Beibl should be welcome!

Edited by moshkito - December 02 2023 at 06:39
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2023 at 06:49
Remembering Edgar Froese - A compilation of German TV highlights from 1969 thru' to 2005. Cool

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 02 2023 at 06:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2023 at 08:48
4 stars 2015: Quantum Key - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtfwQS8OLPhN815AlG5FIJzQbX9c3H5PS

Tangerine Dream's 172nd album. Quantum Key serves as a 4-track prelude to the full Quantum Gate album due for release in 2017. This album marks the beginning of a new era for Tangerine Dream, becoming a trio again following Edgar's "change of cosmic address" and with the new line-up featuring Thorsten Quaeschning, Ulrich Schnauss and violinist Hoshiko Yamane in an album that's dedicated to the memory of Edgar Froese. Broken Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 08:01
3 stars 2016: The Quantum Years

Tangerine Dream's 173rd album. The first live concert (recorded in Poland) to mark the beginning of a new era with the new TD trio of Thorsten Quaeschning, Ulrich Schnauss and Hoshiko Yamane. 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 06 2023 at 08:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 11:38
4 stars 2016: Particles - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS4qGK11xT1yQlTrszsX5rbnpBDVlJkwZ

Tangerine Dream's 174th album. A new generation of Tangerine Dream music from Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko in eternal memory of Edgar Froese. Hug

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 07 2023 at 11:42
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 00:05
^ worth noting that it includes their version of The Stranger Things theme tune.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2023 at 10:05
Tangerine Dream - Revolution of Sound

Guten Tag. Sound from Another World is a German film celebrating the legacy of Edgar Froese's incredible 48 years of music history with Tangerine Dream, including a contribution from Jean Michel Jarre  in his native French which is helpfully translated into German. Danke Schoen. Wacko

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 08 2023 at 10:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 37>