Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New album additions by PA members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:04
There is a new release of ELP's Tarkus. Apparently. According to Amazon, it's a double CD with one or two new songs.

Tarkus is a MASSIVE classic so we really should investigate.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:09
Originally posted by gbjones gbjones wrote:

There is a new release of ELP's Tarkus. Apparently. According to Amazon, it's a double CD with one or two new songs.

Tarkus is a MASSIVE classic so we really should investigate.

can you post a link, tracklist,is it a remaster? What is it? 
gbjones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:19
I got this from Amazon (search for "Tarkus 2 CD Set")

2CD set. Remastered in 2012! Landmark 1971 album in both a 24-bit Mix by Andy Pearce and Stereo Mix by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), plus 3 rare BONUS tracks. Features new 2016 interview and liner notes.

• Manufacturer : BMG Rights Management (UK) Ltd
  • Original Release Date : 2016
  • Date First Available : June 14, 2016
  • Label : BMG Rights Management (UK) Ltd
  • ASIN : B01GBYVI68
gbjones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:20
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:22
ok, so the album got the Wilson treatment. 
I don't know if this remaster needs a new album page. Confused
gbjones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:27
Wikipedia does not mention a 2016 2-CD remix of Tarkus but rather a 2012 3-CD remix which is not found on Amazon. In neither case, 2-CD or 3-Cd set, are the actual names of these "extra tracks" available:

"In May 2012, Steven Wilson announced that he had recently remixed two classic albums by ELP, their first (eponymous) album from 1970 and second album Tarkus from 1971. Both albums were subsequently released by Sony 27 August 2012 as 3-disc sets. In each case disc one is a CD of the original mix (duplicating the Palmaccio master), disc two is a CD of the stereo remix in the form of an alternate version of the album, adding a lot of bonus material and previously undiscovered tracks recorded during the sessions. Disc 3 is a DVD-Audio containing lossless 5.1 surround sound mixes and high resolution versions of the 2012 stereo mixes."
gbjones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:29
Not suggesting a new album - your usual approach is to add notes about each remix and re-release. These remixes mention "additional songs", so it might be of value.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by gbjones gbjones wrote:

Not suggesting a new album - your usual approach is to add notes about each remix and re-release. These remixes mention "additional songs", so it might be of value.

Thumbs Up
you're right Smile
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 13:47
A question.  Been listening to Pentangle and Jacqui McShee's Pentangle which was the continuation of Pentangle starting early nineties.  Wondering is Jacqui McShee's Pentangle deliberately omitted or should I add the ones I have to get closer to completing Pentangle?

Nick
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 17:28
^ Normally it's up to genre teams to make such decisions. Please better contact Prog Folk team members - Sean Trane (Hugues) or kenethlevine (Ken Levine)
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 07:49
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

One for old times' sake, since it's Christmas, and this thread seems to have lain dormant for a few months now...

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=463 - Grace - The Poet, The Piper And The Fool (1992) - No track times.

These two sites seem to agree as follows:

1. The Piper (8:14)
2. The Field (7:25)
3. The Poet (6:59)
4. Raindance (6:00)
5. Success (3:59)
6. Lullaby (5:52)
7. Holy Man Parts 1 And 2 (8:57)

Total Time 47:26

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=462 Grace - Grace (1979) - No track times

Track times derived from YouTube upload of the full Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUb1Kxa-ABo.

1. Fire Of London (4:20)
2. Billy Boy (3:12)
3. Cyril Dingle (7:00)
4. Old Stories (2:51)
5. Laughing Policeman (4:20)
6. I Am Lunar (2:52)
7. Rikki The Rebel (3:43)
8. Buccaneer (3:25)
9. George Commuter (9:07)
10. Old Stories (reprise) (1:15)

Total Time 42:05

Also http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=64258 -  Grace - Overdose (2019)

Track 4 - "Life thru lies" - is written as "Life Through Lies" on Discogs, YouTube and Spotify. Our page also currently has a zero instead of the closing bracket after the track time.

Edit: A bit pedantic I know, but there's currently also no space between the title and the track time opening bracket of track 11 - Tunster Boy.

Thanks, done. It's better late than never. Smile
Actually this could be fixed long time ago if you'd post in this thead.

A couple of questions:
1. Grace LP
I've changed the release date from 1979 to 1981 (according to Discogs). Is it correct?

Release info reads:
- Mac Austin / vocals
- David Edge / acoustic guitar - not confirmed
- Adam Rushton / lead guitar
- Dave Markham / keyboards
- Harry Davies / flute, sax
- Dave Rushton / bass
- Tony Hall / drums

Note : The actual instrumentation could not be fully confirmed at this moment

Is correct line-up known?
Sorry for not replying earlier to this Eugene - I only just found it !!! Embarrassed

The release date of the Grace LP certainly appears to be 1979 according to most sites I looked at, and the band's own history here states it as 1979 too (from "The Early Years" Section):

"In 1979, the band was signed to MCA records, and a single was released in the same year called "The Fire of London". The B side was "Beatnik", reviews (and sales) went well. An album followed, simply called "Grace". Reputation of the band as major exponents of what was now dubbed Progressive rock' was growing rapidly, both as a recording band and as a superb live act. The live act used lights, projections, costumes, mime, and of course the two front men. A second single (released in 1980), followed by a second album, called "Grace Live".

Regarding the 'Overdose' line up, Grace split up in 1981 and a couple of the members carried on as 'White Door', with the addition of a new keyboard player. Then in 1988 they reformed as Grace, with David Edge re-joining the band on electric and acoustic guitar, but they split up again in 1997, only to reform again in 1999, with the addition of David Markham on keyboards and Adam Rushton on guitar. From this later archive of the band's old website:

"OVERDOSE - GRACE - May 2003 by Mike Jones from Manchester

The new album has been a long time coming but it's finally with us. It was always going to sound slightly different with Adam taking over from Dave Edge on guitar and Dave Markham newly installed on keyboards...."

When Grace played at the White Star in Stoke UK on 26th September 2008, Adam Rushton was on lead guitar, but Dave Edge still remained in the band playing acoustic guitar. It is therefore quite likely that he would have played acoustic guitar at some point during the recording of the Overdose album, which took place over several years, but there is no mention of him in the 'Latest News' section about the recording of the album from that earlier archive link I posted above:

"Harry has been in the studio, so sax and flute are done, nearly there hey ! Now the vocals, then the final touches. It shouldn't be too long now (16-Jul-2001)

Unfortunately The Plough has cancelled all forthcoming gigs : I will update on this as I find out more (26-Jun-2001)

Harry is next in studio to do the sax and flute. Just need to get some time booked. Its getting there. (3rd June 2001)

Dave M is in the studio 14th and 15th of March to lay keyboard tracks down....good luck. (9th march 2001)

Adam is in the studio now recording guitar for the new album....good luck (26th feb 2001)

We are currently recording the new album. Progress so far:-
Drum and bass tracks are completed
Keyboards and guitars have been put down for 2 tracks and dates are booked for early march to complete the initial recordings.
After all guitar and keys have been recorded the sax . flute and vocals will be next.
Then the final touches and mastering will need to be done, so please help us fund this by coming to gigs and supporting us. (10th feb 2001)"

So we still can't really remove the 'not confirmed' text against David Edge's name in the line up for the 'Overdose' album - he may have just played acoustic guitar during live performances. I will endeavour try to find out for sure though about this matter. Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 09:35
^ Thanks, David.

I already forgot about these releases. Smile

Changed "Grace" release year to 1979, but I'm still not sure it's correct. I'd prefer to see LP sleeves to make sure (I couldn't find one). We know that quite often for some reasons releases were postponed.

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2021 at 09:36
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 12:31
^ There is considerable uncertainty on the Internet regarding the correct release year, as can be seen down in the comments below this upload of the album on YouTube, but RYM have the release as 1979 (issue details - Clay Records / MCF 3102 /). Now MCF 3102 was actually the catalogue number of the LP that was released by MCA Records, but the album was also released on vinyl as 'LP1' by the independent label Clay Records of Stoke-on-Trent, which is the band's home town (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Records and https://www.discogs.com/label/2069-Clay-Records).

The MCA version is for sale on eBay, and the release year for that is certainly given as 1981. Discogs list the Clay Records issue of the subsequent 1981 Grace live album (Clay LP2) but they don't list the 1979 issue of the self-titled debut by Clay Records (Clay LP1) - only the 1981 issue of the debut LP by MCA Records.

The debut album was apparently much featured on torrent sites back in the late 'noughties', as this article from May 2009 indicates. The release date is again quoted here as 1979.

As far as I can make out then, there are two issues of the album in circulation - one by Clay Records released in 1979, and another my MCA Records released in 1981...hence the confusion. I am trying to contact lead singer Mac Austin to try and clear this up once and for all.

There are three listings of the Clay Records 1981 release of the live album (LP2) on eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392880666566https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381979857031, and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324635859151, but none that I could find of the debut album (LP1). I suspect that very few copies were actually pressed before the task of distributing the debut album was passed over to MCA Records.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 14:33
^ Thanks, David,

as I understand, we have now:
LP Clay Records ‎- CLAY LP1 (1979, UK)
LP MCA Records ‎- MCF3102 (1981, UK)

and
LP Clay Records ‎- CLAY LP2 (1981, UK)

Correct?

Edited by NotAProghead - May 26 2021 at 14:34
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 15:38
^ Yes, that's correct according to everything I've found out so far. If Mac Austin responds to my earlier message about David Edge's contribution to the 'Overdose' album I'll ask him about this debut album as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 20:50
^ Thanks, done.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 22:01
^ There is some more confusion on the Internet regarding the track list of the 'Overdose' album too. We have track 5 as "Into the Night", whereas all the streaming platforms (Spotify, Deezer, YouTube Music etc) have it as "Into the Dark". Mind you - those streaming platforms have both track 8 and track 9 listed as "Big Man", whereas they are really "Big Man" (track 8) and "If Ever" (track 9). We currently have the timings of these two tracks reversed. If you listen to them on Spotify or YouTube Music, "Big Man" is Actually the four minute song and "If Ever" is the six minute one. Even though they're both called "Big Man" on these streaming platforms, you can distinguish which one is which by the lyrics. Ermm

Discogs has the correct track names and running order, but doesn't give the timings.

I don't know why I didn't mention these other anomalies with the 'Overdose' album in my original post from December 2019. I must not have noticed them back then. Embarrassed

Grace have also quite recently released two live DVDs via North Staffordshire video production services company Bomark Studios - one in 2016 and the other in 2017. The first is on discogs, but the second isn't. I'm scared to add them to PA in case I inadvertently open up an even bigger can of worms than the one we already have with Grace! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 12:35
^ Thanks, David, corrected "Overdose" titles and timings as you suggested.

I see nothing scaring in DVDs' info - the pages have covers, track lists and total times. Enough for the additions, we may write that "The actual instrumentation could not be fully confirmed at this moment".
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 19:16
^ The 2017 release isn't entirely precise regarding the track running order (the Bomark page for it just says "set list includes"...though it's highly likely that the list of songs will be complete, and in the true running order), and both state "over 100 minutes of film footage" rather than an exact duration, but if you're happy for them to be added with the info that we currently have available, then I'll do it. Smile If Mac replies to my message then I'll try and get more details from him, but it doesn't look at the moment as though he's going to respond. He's been on facebook earlier this afternoon, but made no attempt to look at my message unfortunately. I'll try an old email address that I have for him if I don't hear anything by the end of the weekend, and hope that it gets redirected to his current one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 11:33
^ Thanks, David, I think you may add DVDs with available info. If new details will follow, we'll correct info.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>