Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 525>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 07:00
Get better, Michael! I really like that Cluster II album. It's probably because I really enjoy the sound of combo organ, especially in ambient music (that's why I like Klaus Schulze's tones so much).
Tom, enjoy that Guru Guru album! Their first three are excellent albums!
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 10:02
Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Henry Cow - Vol. 3: Hamburg
Jethro Tull - Stand Up (Collectors Edition) [CD1]
Bobby Gutesha - Rockin' Bach Dimension
Jethro Tull - Stand Up (Collectors Edition) [CD2]
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 10:19
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux

Stunning album, one of his best! I love that early period of Vangelis where all his albums sounded completely different.
Hmmm, I never heard that album. How is it?

It's more subtle than many of his works. It doesn't have the bombast of 666Heaven And Hell, Spiral, Albedo 0.39, China or Chariots Of Fire. If you like the quieter tracks on Opera Sauvage then you'll probably like L'Apocalypse Des Animaux.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 11:05
^ I heard it this morning, it's indeed very gentle. I don't like the bombast of these albums you mentioned as much as their calmer parts, so I thought it was really good.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 11:12
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I heard it this morning, it's indeed very gentle. I don't like the bombast of these albums you mentioned as much as their calmer parts, so I thought it was really good.

If I remember correctly, L'Apocalypse Des Animaux was the album that inspired Jon Anderson to contact Vangelis and suggest working together.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 13:44
Bubu - Anabelas. Wow... WOW... WOOOW! This is what I love about prog (and what Michael said yestarday) - new discoveries always seem to pop up! This album is so incredible. It has the proportion of influences that I love! It definitely has that Avant-Rock/Canterbury influence of the Softs, Henry Cow, maybe even Magma at times, but there is also that typical prog rock thing going on right there, very much in the vein of King Crimson or Gentle Giant. The arrangements and performance are sheer perfection!
Peter Frohmader/Nekropolis - The Awakening. Nekropolis Live '79. Another phenomenal listen! I really, really enjoyed Frohmader's solo debut, which I've expressed in my review a few days ago, but the way he plays with his band live is outstanding. There is a strong jazz influence, but the dark ambient post-krautrock quality is still in the foreground. Excellent!
Zanov - Moebius 256 301. I really liked Zanov's debut. This one, in my opinion, seems to put more emphasis on the melody and the sound being friendly. I feel, however, that in the process a bit of those atmospherics were lost. However, it's still a very good album. Does not really stand out for me, but it's very enjoyable.
Zao - Z=7L. This was my fist Zao album. It very much resembles Magma from the 1000 Centigrades era, for me. Jazz-rock is a primary influence, but there is no Kobaian heaviness here. However, there are beautiful, feminine vocals. This is much easier listening than Magma, but no less rewarding. Great!
Setna - Guerison. The kingdom of Fender Rhodes, huh? Setna are probably one of hte best modern zeuhl bands. Their awesome fusion of zeuhl and Gilgamesh-like Canterbury sound just simply does it for me! The vocals do sound a bit like Michael Jackson, but only at times. And the electric piano is a prominent instrument here, which is something I always like.
Heldon - Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale. I had only been introduced to Heldon's second album until I listened to this one today. It's definitely very different, but on both of these, Heldon seem to have a very distinctive sound. I really like the combination of a synth, a guitar, and drums and the balance between their parts. They have some great moments on this one!

This was my day. Man, that Bubu is good! And Nekropolis too! Wink
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 14:53
Great choices there Tymon. I particularly adore the Bubu and Setna ones - the latter being something of a slowburner...but once I caught onto it I absolutely loved it.

Me today:
Dungen - Allas Sak
Carmen - Fandagos in Space
Herbert F Bairy - Traumspiel
Clivage - Mixtus Orbis
Agusa - Två
Our Solar System - In Time
Wire - 154
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 15:55
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Bubu - Anabelas. Wow... WOW... WOOOW! This is what I love about prog (and what Michael said yestarday) - new discoveries always seem to pop up! This album is so incredible. It has the proportion of influences that I love! It definitely has that Avant-Rock/Canterbury influence of the Softs, Henry Cow, maybe even Magma at times, but there is also that typical prog rock thing going on right there, very much in the vein of King Crimson or Gentle Giant. The arrangements and performance are sheer perfection!

Aaayyyyyyyyy! Always glad to see some love for that album. Thumbs Up After dozens and dozens of listens I always manage to find something new to appreciate whenever I put it on. 

Get hyped, because apparently Bubu is set to have a new full length album out within the next year, and check out their EP Replandor if you haven't; not quite as perfect as Anabelas, but still excellent!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 22:51
I have three days off work so lots of time to listen to music!

Vangelis - China.
The Sundays - Static And Silence.
Nine Horses (David Sylvian) - Money For All.
Jimi Hendrix - Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues.
Gang Of Four - 100 Flowers Bloom (CD 1)
Supercar - Re: Supercar 1.
Scorn - Yozza EP.
Utada Hikaru - Ultra Blue.
Love And Rockets - Express.
Tangerine Dream - The Deutschlandhalle Performace 1973 (CD2 of the Atem expanded edition).

King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 22:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wire - 154

Hey Guldbamsen. If you like Wire, you should check out a band called Githead. It's a project featuring Colin Newman from Wire and they are really good. I recommend their albums Waiting For A Sign and Artpop.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 23:40
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Imperial Bedroom"
Elvis Costello and the Attractions - "Get Happy!!"
Elvis Costello and The Attractions - "Punch the Clock"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 23:42
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Aaayyyyyyyyy! Always glad to see some love for that album. Thumbs Up After dozens and dozens of listens I always manage to find something new to appreciate whenever I put it on. 

Get hyped, because apparently Bubu is set to have a new full length album out within the next year, and check out their EP Replandor if you haven't; not quite as perfect as Anabelas, but still excellent!

It's outstanding! I can't wait for their new album! I am yet to check out their EP, though! But writing about Bubu, I knew you would show up. Wink Really, such a great band. I liked it for the very same reason Henry Cow's debut is one of my favorites of all time. If you don't know it, check it out! You might just like it!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 23:56

This is what I love about prog (and what Michael said yestarday) - new discoveries always seem to pop up!
It never ends man, there are so many bands out there, new and old. Just stick around here and you'll pick up a lot.
BTW do you already know Khan or Quiet Sun?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 23:59

Get better, Michael! I really like that Cluster II album. It's probably because I really enjoy the sound of combo organ, especially in ambient music (that's why I like Klaus Schulze's tones so much).
Tom, enjoy that Guru Guru album! Their first three are excellent albums!
Cluster are great - even into the 80's.
Yeah, big Guru Guru fanboy here - have stacks of their LP's. I even love the 'rockin' 4th s/t album. That RnR medley is so much fun !! Mani is one of my favourite drummers.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 05 2016 at 00:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 00:03
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

BTW do you already know Khan or Quiet Sun?

Of course I know them, Sagi. I love both of these bands. Khan was love at first hearing and still remains one of my favorites, while Quiet Sun took a longer while to get into. And it's a great band!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 00:05
Tymon, you have impeccable taste
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 03:00
Thursday...

Astral Cult - The Sacred Flame
Fox 45 - Ashes Of Man 
Desert Rider - Echoes Of The Big Sand 
Violence Of The Sun - Perceptionism
Temple Of Smoke - Against Human Race

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 03:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tymon, you have impeccable taste

Why, thank you, Tom! You too! Wink
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 03:24
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Violence Of The Sun - Perceptionism
Now I have the Wolfmother track playing in my headTongue

Narassa - Viaggio Pop
Vangelis - L'Apocalypse des Animaux
The Raveonettes - Pe'ahi
Causa Sui - Return to Sky (Finally gave it a listen, great album Thumbs Up)
Jakob Skott - All The Colours of the Dust (It's good but I think he should try a different approach.)
Metamorfosi - Inferno (I read some time ago about the similarities in Unreal City's music, since they're from the same town. Listening to it again, I have to agree.)
Michael Brückner - Two Letters From Crimea (CD 1)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 04:20
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wire - 154

Hey Guldbamsen. If you like Wire, you should check out a band called Githead. It's a project featuring Colin Newman from Wire and they are really good. I recommend their albums Waiting For A Sign and Artpop.

Thanks man, I appreciate itBig smile 
I've also been meaning to check out latter day Wire. They are still making albums to this day. Me I only know of their early career and dig it immensely. 
A kind of post punk that most prog fans would find (mildly) interesting. They sorta remind me of Magazine in that respect.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 525>